|2000 or more points||1500 or more points||1000 or more points||700 or more points|
Professional achievement is professional development, career knowledge, leadership, networking, and readiness for the workplace. Professional achievement is different from academic achievement, both are important. Employers expect that new hires will have the skills and knowledge to perform their job and the street savvy, social and communication skills, and polish to hit the ground running. A high level of professional achievement shows employers that you can apply learning to practice, and that you can work with your peers and accomplish goals. Academic achievement is measured by GPA, professional achievement is measured by portfolio points.
Fox MIS majors benefit from an innovative one-of-a-kind three part professional achievement program:
- Earn 1000 points (minimum) for professional development activities and for applying learning to practice (e.g., internships, student leadership)
- Receive recognition for professional achievement on leaderboards, badges, professional achievement wire, and e-portfolios
- ‘Cash-in’ reward points upon graduation at the exclusive MIS Points Store.
All about points
For each approved professional development activity, students will receive professional achievement points and an equivalent number of reward points. Professional achievement points count toward point levels, the 1000 point graduation requirement, and the leaderboard. They never expire and typically always increase. Students receive professional achievement badges to showcase their accomplishments and point levels. The badges are displayed on e-portfolios. Professional achievement leaders are featured on the front page of the MIS Community platform. To recognize the hard work in attaining a high level of professional achievement, students can ‘cash’ in their Reward points for branded merchandise in the FOX MIS Store. The relevant number of Reward points are deducted for each purchase in the Points store.
BBA in MIS graduation requirement
All BBA in MIS students are required to earn a minimum of 1,000 points before graduation. Students who fail to earn 1,000 points before they complete the program will not graduate! Checkpoints have been established along the way to keep students on task and position them for success.
(The portfolio requirement was added to the MIS program in the spring of 2012 and only applies to students who have taken MIS 2501 in the spring of 2012 or later)
What is my e-portfolio?
Just as an artist compiles a collection of projects that are representative of their work, MIS professionals compile a collection of their achievements. All MIS majors will create an e-portfolio. This e-portfolio will show that you are a high performer in the classroom and outside the classroom.
What are professional achievement points?
For each approved professional development activity, you will earn professional achievement points. For example, we strongly urge all of our students to work at least one full-time internship. Professional achievement points never expire, they count toward the 1000 point graduate requirement, and the point levels. They typically always increase. The only exception is if you sign up for an professional achievement activity and are a no-show.
What are reward points?
For each approved professional development activity, you will also earn reward points. Reward points are deducted each time you make a purchase in the MIS points store.
What can I earn points for?
See the Professional Achievement Points page for a complete list of point earning opportunities
- Internships and IT related work: The quickest way to earn the most points is a traditional full-time internship. Part-time, project based internships also earn points. Points can also be earned for working other types of IT related jobs.
- AIS: Continuous participation in AIS is strongly encouraged and rewarded with points. A leadership role within AIS will earn you more points. You can also earn points for participating in AIS sanctioned professional development activities.
- Professional development and networking: Earn points for professional development activities such as participating in a competition, attending a career fair, or creating an advanced e-portfolio.
How are points awarded?
Professional achievement and reward points are awarded automatically for certain department sponsored activities (e.g., attending the IT awards, participating in the IT Career fair). If you have just completed an internship or job and would like to get credit, please send an email with documentation to Professor Mart Doyle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why are points deducted?
Professional achievement points are deducted if you sign up for an activity and are a ‘no show.’ For example, if the activity is worth 25 points, then the exact same number of points will be deducted if you are a ‘no show’ for the activity. The department works hard to provide students with professional development opportunities. If you are a ‘no show’ and do not make prior arrangements then that shows a lack of professional development which is reflected in the professional achievement point deduction.
How do I check my points?
- Create an e-portfolio
- Login to your e-portfolio and look at the Dashboard.
- In the Dashboard, you will see current points, the badge you have earned (see below), how many points you need to earn to get to the next level, and the list of transactions for which you have earned portfolio points.
What if my points are missing?
It may take up to two weeks for the points to be posted. If you still do not see your points, please send an email to email@example.com.
How do I get a professional achievement badge?
To earn a badge, you must first earn professional achievement points. Once you have sufficient points, you can display the badge on your e-portfolio. To display the badge, review the 3 minute video tutorial, or follow these steps:
- Login to your E-portfolio dashboard
- Select Appearance and then Widgets on the left
- Drag the Widget titled “Professional Achievement Badge” to the primary sidebar of your site.
- You are done! The widget will automatically display the appropriate badge and number of points earned. As you gain more points and move up a level, the widget will automatically display the new badge.
What are the levels of professional achievement?
- Grand Master: The pinnacle of professional readiness. Grand Master’s have extensive experience in engaging with industry, have demonstrated extensive leadership and communication skills, and are likely to take on leadership roles in the future.
- Master: The master of professional achievement. Master’s have gone above and beyond all the basic requirements and excelled in every category of professional development, career knowledge, networking and are expected to be stars in their careers.
- Candidate: The complete well rounded student. Candidates have excelled in meeting all the department’s requirements for professional development. They are ready for the workplace!
- Apprentice: Apprentices have started investing in their professional development early and are well on track to meet the department’s requirements for professional achievement.
What is the FOX MIS Points store?
The FOX MIS Points Store was created to recognize the professional achievements and contributions of the students and alumni of the Fox School’s Department of Management Information Systems. Click here for more information.