MIS4596 Section 002, Fall 2016 (Schuff)

• Since our last exam, we have primarily been covering the topic of how IT brings business value to an organization, and the different ways of measuring such value. We’ve discussed how all business value must be measurable in order to be considerable, but after doing some research and thinking on my own I have realized that not all value has to be…[Read more]

• This week we talked about the Cirque Du Soleil case and analyzed how they were successful in using IT in making their company more successful. At first I thought I would be very bored with the case, but found myself wanting to learn more and more about how the many measures they improved using IT. It amazed me at how a company was able to…[Read more]

• Discussing the role that IT plays in organizations made me think about in which way the department I intern for, the global human resources division in Chubb, utilizes IT. IT is critical within the division as most work is done using software such as PeopleSoft and ADP. The department even has in house programmers to develop custom processes…[Read more]

• This summer I worked an internship at a retirement company in NYC. I worked on a project that wanted to modernize their website they provide to clients. The website is accessible by clients to show their plans and how many of their employees are under each individual plan. After talking again about information systems, I started to think about…[Read more]

• This week in class we talked about Cirque du Soleil and their use of IT. After completing the case I was surprised by how beneficial IT was for such an abnormal company and began to look for other ways IT has helped them to grow. It turns out that Cirque du Soleil relies heavily on different SAP systems to increase efficiency. Cirque relies on a…[Read more]

• Our discussion about IT being a cost center vs a profit center got me thinking about the role of IT in companies I’ve worked for in the past. Most of the companies that had accurately recognized the role of their IT implemented it well and the relationship between IT and the rest of the company was healthy. I have unfortunately worked at a couple…[Read more]

• This week’s discussion on the roles of IT within a business got me thinking about all of my prior experience and what purpose the information technology groups served within the companies that I previously interned with. As taught in the lecture, there are four main roles that IT serves: IT as an Engine Room, IT as a Global Service Provider, IT…[Read more]

• In class this week we discussed the role of IT and the four different ways a company can view its IT organization including IT as an Engine Room, IT as Global Business Service Provider, IT IS the Business, and Everyone’s IT. This discussion about the role of IT made me think about my IT Business Analyst internship at Motorola Solutions over the…[Read more]

• During my internship this summer at Wal-Mart Corporate Office, I was in the back office department that dealt with functions such as Accounts Payable, HR, and Indirect Procurement. These functions are definitely cost centers as they don’t bring in revenue, but are necessary to run the business. Therefore, the I.T. that supported these functions…[Read more]

• I am currently at Prudential Financial working with their infrastructure server support team. My primary role is to manage projects that deal with building Wintel and Linux servers for the business units within. From this position I learned the IT infrastructure of the company by analyzing charts and maps little similar to infrastructure maps that…[Read more]

• Encryption Tool—Plugin?

Members: Me ๐Ÿ™‚

With cyber security in high demand, encryption tools have gained popularity. Average users have to trust the encryption of sites like DropBox to protect data stored in the cloud. This has proven to be less than efficient in many cases. My idea is to create a plugin or application similar to Boxcryptor…[Read more]

• Security is certainly a hot topic, and you’re right that there are gaps in the safety of these services. However, it isn’t completely clear what would differentiate what you are proposing from other services – for example, a Dropbox connection is already encrypted as well as the storage on the server. What would be new here?
      Is there something…[Read more]

• Freight Forwarding App

Author: Ryan Pace

Summary: In the worldwide economy trillions of tons of freight are shipped via air, land, and sea through an intricate network of manufacturers, shipping companies, freight forwarders, and end customers. In this network freight forwarding companies act as third party brokers that move goods from the…[Read more]

• This is a nice idea. I think the challenge here is quantifying the need for an app (as opposed to the dashboard โ€“ maybe the market is happy with that?) and the potential market. Also, what keeps Flexport from just developing an app and
      undercutting you? What else could you do with your service to leverage mobile and make it more difficult to copy?

• CSPD Chatbot

Team Members: Just me so far

Monthly active users of messaging apps have recently surpassed those of social networking apps, and the gap has been widening ever since. People are quick to chat up their friends and family when they’re looking for information, why not follow those same channels when it comes to CSPD?

CSPD (and other…[Read more]

• I think this is an interesting idea. However, could this all be done with existing tools – we could just teach CSPD to use the existing tools in new and innovative ways.

However, I do like the idea of “mobile mentoring” – and you’re thinking (correctly, in my opinion) about trying to leverage what is mobile about mobile platforms to make…[Read more]

• Project: Home Automation Tools Website

Team Members: Darryl Jones, Lamar Dixon, Celynna Zoleta, Ryan Trapp, Nicholas Stamboolian

Develop a website that sells Home Automation tools containing the list of home automation systems, i.e.
    โˆ™ Whole House Automation Tools
    โˆ™ Security Control System
    โˆ™ Lighting Control System
    โˆ™ Controls Surround Sound S…[Read more]

• Home automation is certainly a hot area, but from an MIS-perspective you should think beyond just developing an e-commerce site for those products. Also, making the business case may be difficult – many sites already sell them – what would be your advantage over Amazon, who has a much better ability to sell these products at lower cost? Are you…[Read more]

• Team members: Andrew Winkles, Meghan Ho

Our proposal is to create an app which promotes mentoring partnership among minority high-school aged STEM students and career professionals. Mentors and students are the two different types of users who will use the app. Mentors can create courses or case studies which will focus on filling gaps in…[Read more]

• I like the public service aspect of this. Consider a few things:
      1) Why not just do this on an existing online platform like Coursera? Why create a new service?
      2) What opportunities exist using an app that couldn’t be delivered through a traditional website? I think the idea of “mobile mentoring” is really, really interesting, but I think you…[Read more]

• Business Solution: Target Easy Pickup

Team Members: Unknown

Problem:
    The retail industry is a rapidly changing environment that requires companies to continuously explore ways to gain a competitive advantage. With the dominance of Amazon and its delivery of convenience to customers, brick and mortar retail companies such as Target need to find…[Read more]

• This sounds like a useful service, but how does this compare to similar services like BestBuy?
      What innovations could take this a step further than what is currently being done?
      Consider what Uber is doing with food delivery. Is there something Target does well that they can further leverage? Could they partner with someone (Amazon/Uber)?

• Project: Information Security Service

Team Members: Michael Bonatsos, Robin Hibbard, Anna Kim, Sean Murray, Joshua Sandoe

Summary: The amount of software and services people and organizations sign up for and use daily has grown substantially in recent years, the number of updates and security threats can be overwhelming. To solve this problem,…[Read more]

• This is an interesting idea – an aggregator of security threats, but consider a few things:
      1) This seems very passive – i.e., it doesn’t fix, just notifies. Is there something else it could do to be a more active service in protecting the user?
      2) What do you mean by “manage” updates and risks?
      3) Consider carefully whether someone would…[Read more]

• Load More
Skip to toolbar