Section 001, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 16

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 16. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

30 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 16

• Facebook is the online data-driven service that I use most frequently. For Facebook, each row of the spreadsheet would represent a different person. The first column could show the first name of a person; the second column shows the middle name, and the third column shows the last name.. That way you could count how many people have similar names. Another column could show the number of friends a person has while the next column could show the number of photos the person has. Other potential columns include: number of posts, number of private messages sent/received, number of liked pages, high school name, college name, etc.

• For example, data driven service that I use is canvas for me. I use it to turn in all my assignments and keep up with what’s going on in the class. One row can represent the courses that I am currently taking. The columns would represent numerous things like the grades, files, classmates, etc.

• One data-driven service that I use quite frequently is Instagram. The rows would represent different Instagram accounts. Some of the columns would include: the person’s user name, the number of pictures, the number of followers, the number of people followed, average likes per picture, and the number of tagged photos.

• One data-driven service that I use at work is HEDWIG. It is a service used by residence halls to log packages for students. One row could represent a student’s name or a package. The information in the columns would include a student’s TUID and room number. For the package the columns would include the carrier, where it’s shipping from, the date it was delivered, and the bar code we need to scan.

• The data-driven service I use the most regularly is Blackboard. If I want to store the data in the spreadsheet,
    1st row: Name of the Subject and subject code
    2nd row: Name of Professor
    3rd row: The name of the file(assignment) I uploaded on the blackboard
    4th row: The date I uploaded my file
    5th row: the score of each assignment
    The other rows: The content of the assignment, The magnitude of the assignment(how important it is in %), The type of the file(ppt, word, pdf)
    By using this spreadsheet, I can know how many files I uploaded in a certain period(1 day, 1 week, 1month), the average of my score, which subject has the most assignments and so on.

• I use GrubHub service often times and I believe if I’d store their massive data in a spreadsheet would be:

Column 1: restaurant ID
    Column 2: User ID
    Column 3: Restaurant Name
    Column 4: Restaurant Location by Zipcode
    Column 5: Dynamic User ID Location
    Column 6: OrderID

All the rows would be values of each specific column.

• I use GroupMe, a group message app, very often. It would be interesting to break down everyone’s individual groupme data. One column would be name of the person, one would be how many groups they are a part of, one could be how many messages they send on average each day.

• One data-driven service that I use frequently is Blackboard. If I was storing the data in the spreadsheet, the first row could be a list of all my classes. The second row could be a list of all my professors and TA’s, The third row could be all the assignments that are due along with the due dates and he fourth column could be the grades I got on all those assignments.

• A data-driven service I use frequently is something called coriscahockey. Corsica hockey is a data base that shows detailed advance hockey statistics. A spreadsheet that would contain the data of this service would have rows such as: player name, player position, player team, and each individual row for different player statistics.

• Amazon is a data-driven service that I use regularly. In the spreadsheet, each row would represent each individual customer. The columns would give info on their purchases. The columns could include number of purchases, total and average amount spent for purchases, whether they have a prime membership or not, average time items are spent in the shopping cart, and much more.

• A data-driven service I use regularly is an app that logs my study hours. Each row could represent a week while the columns would include avg. study hours per day, study location, and how many hours left until the user reaches his or her weekly goal for hours studying.

• a data driven service that I use is Facebook. Each row would represent names of people. the columns would represent the amount of friends, how much they post, how frequently they go on the site.

• One data driven service that I use regularly is blackboard. A row on a spreadsheet could represent each course that I’m taking. The different columns in the spreadsheet could contain information about the professor of the course, the data and time of the class, and different assignments for the class, as well as my grades on those assignments.

• A data driven service that I use regularly is Apple Music. A row in the spreadsheet could represent each artist in Apple Music. The columns in the spreadsheet can be how many songs, how many albums, genre(s), rankings (ie #3 on the pop charts) and also how many total streams they have gotten.

• I use Spotify everyday. If I wanted to analyze the data derived from this app, I would be most inclined to study the artists I listen to most often. Thus, each row could represent my 10 most listened-to artists. A column could be the song or album of that artist I listen to the most.

• A data driven site/app that I use almost everyday is Apple music. If this data was transformed into a spreadsheet it would include things like genre, name of playlist, artist in the columns. Then in the rows it would include the name of the song.

• Instagram is a data driven app that I use everyday. If the data was transformed into a spreadsheet it would be based off each user’s page. The row would be each Instagram user’s page and the columns would be based off the number of followers the page has, the posts of the user, as well as the likes and comments they get on each post.

• I use Blackboard everyday as a data driven app. The data if made into a spreadsheet would have my classes, teachers, and grade in the columns. In the rows would be the full name of the class, who teachers that class, and the specific grade I have in that class.

• A data-driven app I use on a regular basis is SnapChat. The row would contain the individual’s username, in the columns there would be the number of snaps they send in a day, how many streaks do they have, how many snap points they have, the number of snaps on their snap story, and the number of users they have on their “Best Friends” list.

• A data-driven app I use everyday is Spotify. If Spotify’s data were to be transformed into a spreadsheet, it would report song titles, artists, albums, and the type of genre the song falls under. The row could represent its rating in your playlist or your most recent songs listened too.

• A data-driven source I use every day is my Scottrade brokerage account. I use Scottrade to invest in many different stocks as well as researching other stock quotes for future stock purchases. Some columns I use in my excel spreadsheet to track my investments are stock price, stock quantity, gain/loss, dividend distributions per share, and total gain/loss. Each row lists the company’s name and ticker symbol.

• A data-driven source I use every day is Blackboard for my classes. If it was transformed into a spreadsheet the columns would represent classes, teachers, grade, semester. In the rows it would show the names of the class, names of the professor, grades and files such as syllabus.

• I frequently use Spotify. A good way to organize a Spotify spreadsheet would be to make each row its own song. Columns would each be details about the song. For example, these could be things like artist, featured artist, producer, name of the song, duration, release date, album, genre, number of plays, stream or download etc.

• A data-driven source I use often is IMDB to look at movie ratings. In a spreadsheet it would be efficient to give each movie its own row. Across the columns could be the movie title, its release date, its rating, the producer, the director, and maybe the leading actor or actress.

• Canvas is a data driven source that I use often. If it were in a spreadsheet, the first column could list the class, and the following columns could contain other information pertinent to each one. For example, due dates, grades, and assignments could all be listed in the following columns. This would be a great way of organizing an academic schedule.

• A data driven service that I use very often is the social media platform twitter. If I wanted to store my personal tweets from the platform, my data would be as follows…

Each row would be classified as each individual tweet I have made over the course of time that I have been using Twitter. Because of this, my columns would consist of the metadata of the tweet. For example, the actual contents of the tweet, the time it was tweeted, the number of retweets and likes, the number of characters used, and multimedia attachments would all be included.

• A data driven service that I frequently use is Amazon. If I wanted to analyze Amazon data in a csv format, I would have the product name, product number, price list, reviews using 1-5 number. From this data, I would be able to analyze if certain products are most frequently purchased by customers.

• A data driven service I would use would be Twitter. My data I would be storing would be, the time majority people tweet on the East Coast, the average likes or retweets they receive on post, the area in which the tweet the most. From this data I would be able to determine which States have the most twitter activity.

• A data driven service that I would like to see in a spreadsheet would be Amazon. I would have rows for the product name, product description, and company that makes it. For columns I would like to see the price of the product, the SKU number, average star rating of the total reviews, and number of times that the product has been purchased. By having it in this format, I believe that the information would be keep in a clean matter, allowing the data to be easy to follow.

• A data service I use is IMDB. Incorporating that into a spreadsheet I would make rows representing their rating, score, genre, main actors, and directors. You could study these different columns into depicting the impact a genre, actor, director, or rating usually has on the overall score. It would also be able to filter due the ability to search for actors and minimize the amount of data they wish to see.