Section 001, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Extra credit: Complete by September 20

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 2. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

In your opinion, what was the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Thursday? What did you learn about the way data is used to make decisions? Relate your observation to the class material if you can.  If you did not attend class you cannot answer this question.

Your answer will not appear unless I approve it so please do not worry if you do not see it appear. I will approve them next Thursday when they are due.

17 Responses to Extra credit: Complete by September 20

• I think the most important thing I learned from Mr.Whetstone was about learning to set the tone in a work place from the very beginning. I think that is most important in life not just work. I also learned that data is everywhere you turn, especially in terms of being targeted for certain products. The things I do on a daily basis are being collected as data to use in research and other things. In class we talked about metadata and he went into more detail about it which also gave me a better understanding.

• The most important takeaway from Maurice Whetsone’s talk was when he said people treat you the way you let them and that even when you graduate college you still have worth even if your not that experienced yet. I thought real time data was really interesting. That showed me how much data really affects business decisions and real life things. I thought it was cool that they have a team of people who watch data so they can use it to increase their sales at the same time. It related to class because you both have said how data really is everywhere and any job you get will involve data.

• For me, the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was the importance of being open-minded when working with data. For example, Maurice was just running queries when he realized that Lenox was not selling silver cleaner to customers. I think this mindset will be helpful as we begin working with our own datasets because it will remind me that I might find trends in my data that are more interesting than the trends I was thought I would find.

• The most importance takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk is that the way people treats you by the way you allow them. QVC is a cable, satellite broadcast television network, and flagship shopping channel specializing in televised home shopping. They collect data in real-time with multiple channels. Collecting data in real-time can motivate consumers to buy. The company uses the data to help their clients’ businesses by increasing sales, and operating.

• I thought one of the biggest takeaways from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was when he talked about metadata and how metadata is so important. Metadata is used in every aspect of the business, and can be used as a way to see what areas of the business could improve. Maurice told us how he used the metadata from HSN, and how he found that even though HSN sold a lot of items made of silver, that they didn’t sell polish for those items. He took this information to HSN, and HSN then made the decision to start selling the polish for silver. He was able to improve the company as a whole based off what he found in the metadata, showing how useful and necessary it is to use metadata in businesses. We learned what metadata is in class, but I never grasped just how important and useful metadata is in all aspects of life, not just in a business.

• I thought Maurice was awesome. I honestly had no idea what QVC stood for and like he stated “thought it was were old people ordered from.” The presentation implemented the importance of data, recognizing and utilizing data to improve your business. Maurice stated that retail is a forever business and it is crucial to obtain the knowledge of data (sales ie stainless steel and stainless steel cleaner), to be able to engage with customers. In the article, “In Data We Trust” mentioned that 1 in 3 business leaders do not trust their data; I learned that data is a huge asset to any business. I was unaware of QVC having their own television channel. He described how during the show they watch data as they say certain things and how it effects the buying of customers during the show.

• I think the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Thursday was that data is vital for everything that we do. I learned how big data is used to make decisions at QVC about what products they should air and how it affects specific words and phrases that they use while promoting the products. In class, we had learned about what data is and big data and the presentation gave us real-life examples of how what we are learning in class is used in the real world.

• I think that the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk on Thursday was the importance of data analytics in the modern day workplace. I was amazed when Maurice mentioned that QVC uses real time data during their television broadcasts in order improves their sales for specific product. He said that QVC can extract data from customer comments in real time and use that information to tell the salesperson on T.V. to add to their pitch which can cause significant increases in sales. This just proves to show that data analytics is very important in the modern day workplace for essentially most companies.

• In my opinion, the most important piece of information Maurice Whetstone gave us during his talk on Thursday was that data can be used everywhere and in every profession. Thinking about that, really got me more excited about everything we are going to learn in this class throughout the semester. Data can be used to show trends in specific job fields that can be crucial information for organizations. In the sport and recreation career field, data on attendance to professional sports games can be important information for professionals working for that team as if attendance is low, they can do promotions, or other advertisements to help boost the attendance at games.

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway from Maurice Whestone’s talk on Thursday was that your job should be something you’re passionate about. If you’re not passionate about what you do you’ll never feel fulfilled. I also learned that real-time data was used for QVC to improve sales drastically and decide how the host would introduce/explain a product. In class, we talked about how the web has become a personalized platform for everyone. QVC monitoring/collecting data from their customers’ requests are similar in a way to how Google personalizes peoples browsers with ads of products they seem interested in for example.

• The most important takeaway from Maurice Whetsone’s talk was that data is used almost everywhere. Maurice discussed how data was used at QVC. He said every job uses data, which is true because all the jobs I have worked at have used data. For example, after working on cash register, I must collect the data of how much money we made that day and separate it into categories. Maurice also talked about how you should never let someone walk over you and told the story of how he stood up for himself against a co worker. Maurice gave a lot of good tips, like how people should know you, not just you know someone to try and get connections and network.

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was that data can be used to solve serious problems. We already learned in class that data is everywhere but he showed us the importance of organizing and analyzing data. He was able to do just that and help his company study trends in their sales and look for ways to improve.

• The speaker gave us a good overview of how the company makes use of data. It is helpful for us to know the importance of data. I learned how he makes use of data.

• Maurice Whetstone came into our class and made it clear to me why data is so important and useful. I wrote down a question for him which was very broad: what can data help you discover? What I didn’t know before listening to Maurice was that my question was quite broad; data can open your eyes to so many different things that you couldn’t figure out without seeing specific data. He gave the example of the polish that his company was NOT selling because they didn’t advertise it on live television when they would be selling the products that typically use that polish. Maurice, putting two and two together, realized that if the customers aren’t purchasing polish from their company, then they must be purchasing it from another company. Upon discovery, Maurice communicated this to those of importance and they got the message to the sales people on live television. Right then sales for the polish went up because they actually advertised it. One other thing that stuck with me was when Maurice shared some of his own advice with us at the end. He stated, “work that you love is a passion, the work you don’t love is just work, stress, anxiety, etc.” He also told us that people will treat us how we allow them to treat us, so we should never let them walk over us or that is exactly what they will continue to do.

• Personally, the most important takeaway I got from Maurice Whetstone’s presentation on Thursday in terms of class material, was how big data, which is data that describes other data, influences a company in every aspect, even down to things you wouldn’t think have an effect but certainly do. Another takeaway I got from Maurice’s presentation on an inspirational level, was to always stand your ground on how you want to be treated and viewed. From Maurice’s example of how using certain words to describe a product on a live show influenced data to spike positively, I learned that data is constantly changing and it is necessary to keep data mining. I also learned that a company uses data to make decisions to please customers, and to make the overall experience of the company enjoyable to both the customers and its team.

• In my opinion the most important take away was understanding that you determine how other people treat you. It is something I think about from time to time. I think it is important to remember what you will and will not except.

• The most important takeaway from Maurice Whetstone’s talk was that you can find data that can be useful if you look for it and analyze it. Mr. Whetstone talked about how he saw that QVC was not selling jewelry cleaner to the companies that they sold jewelry. He thought this was odd, and mentioned it and people started to sell the jewelry cleaner to jewelry companies. QVC made a lot more money because of this small change. This made me realize that even the smallest pieces of data can make a huge difference, you just have to look for it and analyze it.