Instructor: David Schuff, Section 001

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 14, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 14, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Now that the course is just about over, think about what you’ve learned.

• For you, what is the most important takeaway from the course?
  • How would you explain what you’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview?

55 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 14, 2016

• I feel than an important takeaway from this course is Tableau and its functions. Before taking this course, I did not know about this software but it is really helpful in data analytics and visualizing data. I would explain to an employer that Tableau is a fairly simple tool to use and very effective in regards to displaying information to other employees.

• Data Science was surely one of the most useful classes that I’ve ever took. What I learn in this class is completely different from the other classes in the way that we were taught. Instead of learning facts/figures, we learn how to use tools like Tableau, Excel to figure out how to clean or use those facts/figures. We did work and projects that use real data, we solved problems that are practical in a daily basis to professional CIOs. Overall, what we learn were practical, we didn’t learn how to think, but we learn how we should think

• Tableau is of course the most valuable skill learned in this course. In an interview at my post-grad employer, I was asked if I had any Tableau experience and was able to tell them I would by the end of this semester. The ability to quickly create data visualizations to answer questions will be incredibly useful in every field. All business strategy is data-driven, thus Tableau will be immensely helpful to us all as future business leaders.

• I would say that learning how to use Tableau was interesting topic of the class besides learning how to manipulate data with Excel and different types of charts and maps. If I were to ever apply to a job that involved this class I would describe it as learning how to refine my data analytic skills using certain software. I wouldn’t sat that I was a genius with it but that I have a basic knowledge and understanding of how to be creative with data.

• I think that the most important takeaway from this course is how important data science actually is and how it can apply to practically any career. A really big part of this class that was new to me was how to use Tableau and Excel. I would explain to a future employer that this data science class has taught me how to properly graph data and how to chose the most effective graph for that data. I would also explain accountability in a team and how each person should check their own data spreadsheets for any mistakes to avoid an long trail of bad data.

• For me the most important takeaway is to know how many things and what you can do with data. Connecting that with Tableau, Excel, or Piktochart gives you a great way to represent any data in a good and easy way. I think with the knowledge how to use these programs I will have advantages compared to other people who do not know about them. I would give examples of how we analyzed different data sets with the different programs. For example, since I am interested in sports, I would explain how presented data of the NCAA by analyzing the Basketball data set.

• An important thing I’ve taken away from this course is how to use excel. Ive never used it until this semester and as an accounting major i know it will eventually come in handy. To explain what i have learned to a future employer, I would start with the different uses and visualizations that data can create. There are countless possibilities to use data and benefit a company and i would explain to an employer that after this course, i am aware of different uses and manipulations that can be done to data in order to generate important information and convey that information simply.

• From this course, the biggest takeaway was realizing what the real world applications of data were. I always knew, or thought I knew what data was but I got more insight on what it is more specifically, and how it is used. I also learned that it is useful to know about, and it is necessary to know how to manipulate it in almost any field of business. Using programs effectively like excel are vital in almost any form of business.

• For me, the biggest takeaway was learning how to use Tableau to make data imported from Excel tell a story. It’s one thing to look at a big spreadsheet of string and number,s but it’s another to be able to compile them into charts and infographics that allow for easy visual analysis. If I were speaking about Tableau in an interview I would explain how simple and useful it is to have Tableau’s charts and infographics aid in presentations to clients or in quarterly reports that are used to make key decisions.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me was how to use excel and tableau to present data in a way that the common person can understand. I am now able to craft data visualizations that are meaningful and easy to comprehend in a single glance. If I had to explain to a recruiter what this class has taught me, i would explain how I realized that data is extremely prevalent in business. Literally everything in business can be quantified, organized, and stored for many types of functions. I would also explain that being able to organize and understand data can have such benefits for businesses of any kind.

• I think that the most important takeaway from this class is all of the excel functions that we have learned to use. These functions have taught me to be able to go through a large set of data to check and verify that it is correct, which helps clean the data. This is most important to me because I work with large data sets at my job. I would tell a future employer that this class has taught me to not take data at face value. We should always check to make sure that the data is correct before we begin to use it because many times data often has many mistakes.

• The biggest takeaway from this class personally is that data is collected every second of every day and used for things that people have no idea about. Also, it was interesting how agencies and companies can basically profile a person based on data collected through technological foot prints and trends. I would explain to a future employer I learned the importance of data in today’s world as well as the implications and discoveries that can be made if data is collected, analyzed, and distributed in a right way.

• I would say the biggest takeaway was learning how to use Tableau and some new formulas in Excel to clean up data. Now when I have to work with multiple spreadsheets i know how to clean up the information and present a better representation of the data. I would say that this class helped me better understand data and what is the best way to represent the data.

• The biggest takeaway of the course for me was data visualization. Looking at data in a spread sheet may not be able to tell you anything just based on raw numbers. By making those numbers into a graph where it can be made conceptual and easier to take in, an assumption can be made easier. When I am older I would love to be a coach and explaining to an employer in a job interview that I will be able to see who is improving and who is not, and have proof of that graphically, I would be able to push the team into hopefully a more successful track than they are already in.

• Out of all of my courses this semester, this was one of the most interesting I’ve taken. I always left the classroom with new knowledge, whether it was just a random fact or a basic understanding of a business and data application. The most interesting take-away from this class for me was the sentiment analysis lab. As a marketing major, I am constantly seeing the importance of understanding the feedback coming in for each company. The most important skill I learned in this class was the function of Tableau. I am confident that I will be able to apply those skills in my future.

• Both a takeaway and something worth mentioning in a job interview would be my ability to use Tableau for data visualizations and Excel to present a set of data. Learning how to look up data in Excel, deriving formulas to re-organize the data in an excel sheet, presenting the same data in a bar chart, creating calculated fields to precisely show what is being asked on Tableau today makes me realize that, despite having smartphones, and laptops and being on social media all the time, being technologically updated goes far beyond this. This class has given me access to analyze the hard work that goes behind creating all the infographics that are used to present data to the general public.

• The biggest takeaway I got from this class is definitely the use of Tableau and Excel. Both are used so much in the business world, that it is such an advantage to have a good understanding of both. I found Tableau to be interesting to use. I am definitely going to be using it in the future and i am glad i got a good understanding of it.

• A significant takeaway from this course is the importance of communication between data users and data producers to maintain clean and useful data. I would communicate to a potential employer that this course trained me in principles and practices of data management, analysis and communication. I am able to convert large amounts of raw data into meaningful and valuable information. Furthermore, I can communicate that information in a way that is compelling and easy to understand.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how to think about and understand data. The technical skills we learned in Tableau and Excel can be easily learned from tutorials. The ways we learned to evaluate, store, organize, and analyze data through the assigned readings and classroom discussions were the most beneficial part of the course.

• I think the biggest takeaway from this course was that I really enjoy data analytics and MIS as a subject, which has cemented my originally uncertain choice to be an MIS major. Prior to this class I had next to no knowledge of data analytics, or how to use tableau. I learned a lot about big data, and what it is, that was different than my preconceptions. I would explain what I’ve learned as the skills and experience necessary to use excel for data analysis and tableau for data visualization. I would be able to do basic data analysis work, including cleaning data sets, which is a valuable skill I’ve already used in other classes.

• My biggest takeaway from the course is the extent of applications for data analytics. The course’s core concepts have opened my eyes up to the role of data analysis today and in the future. Prior to the course I had relatively limited views of the ways data analysis can be applied. The material I’ve learned in this course has actually helped me improve and expand a personal project of mine; a real estate analytics app. I have imputed and created data visualizations in my product, and likewise have begun collecting the metadata created by the actual scores the app gives a home. I would point to this venture on my resume when asked by an employer how I have benefited and learned from my data analysis class.

• I find there are two important takeaways from this course that are associated with one another; the idea of big data and its role in business, and the principles of using that data for a benefit. Not knowing much about MIS prior to the course caused me to underrate it, but after this course I have learned of its significant importance in all business industries. I would communicate to interviewers that I understand the use of big data to benefit a firm, especially the technicalities involved in it such as organization, analysis, and visualization.

• For me, the most important takeaway from the course is the general idea that everything we do, everything we see, and everything we’re involved in is data, and the fact that data can be used for anything. Companies can use it for advertising, companies can use it for hiring new employees, and even insurance companies can use data collected from health trackers to give customers accurate quotes on insurance. If I were to go on an interview, I would tell a potential employer that data science is pieces of information collected day by day that can be used to answer questions about people, places, and activities. I’ve learned that data is collected every second of every day, and that you can use different tools like Excel and Tableau to see data more clearly. I would also explain to them that you sometime have to clean data sets to make sure that everything in that set is correct, and that sometimes there may be errors or outliers, but overall, data is what allows companies and corporations to operate at their fullest potential.

• The most important thing i have learned is learning more knowledge about data. Basically, i learn how to interpret and analyze the data. Therefore, showing all the database through tableau and data visualization. Before taking this class, the only thing i can do is showing data on power points.
    For job interview, i would say that I learn some fundamental knowledge about using data software and the understanding of big data. The basic Tableau and Excel skill can help me to solve data during the work.

• I feel that the most important takeaway from this course is the idea of data lies everywhere in our lives. And we can make a lot of use with it. Especially as a Finance major, I feel that data plays a big part in my life and my career. The tools such as Tableau and Excel would definitely be helpful. I will explain to my future employers about what i have learnt in this course as a new way of thinking.

• I think one of the most important things that i took away from this class was how to properly analyze data and how to use it, also how to contribute it in tableau. Tableau is a very unique and impressive program that I never even used before I took this class. I think that Tableau really helped me understand different data sets and to understand how information can be compared. One way that I would explain what I learned in this class in a job interview is that I would simple prove it to them. I would have the interviewee give me any data set they want and I would throw them in tableau and prove to them my data analytic skills.

• This question is asked at the perfect time because just yesterday I had an interview for an Analyst position at BNP Paribas Bank and I was able to use some of the concepts we learned in class during the interview. For example my interviewer asked me what I would do if I was working with 5 or 6 separate sheets on Excel that are filled with hundreds of rows about investor’s data. I asked her if some of the information was repetitive, because this is an issue we discussed in class and she said yes. I told her that in order to gather only the necessary information into one sheet I would use the VLOOKUP tools and if statements to organize the data. The CFO of that branch said that that is exactly what they use.
    The most important takeaway from this class for me was the way data can be analyzed, evaluated, stored and organized. I now know more about the problems organizations and specific managers run into with data and I can avoid these issues myself and help my organization avoid them as well.

• Having a better concept of what big data is and what it means for a company was the most important and generally applicable knowledge I’ve gained. This course really put data into perspective for me, and it will definitely help me in both MIS 2901 and my future career. I’m sure as I take more Fox required courses and learn more about excel I’ll be able to use these programs in professional settings.

• I would say among the most important concepts learned in the course would be the ability to organize data with Excel and Tableau, present it in a way that makes information extractable, and “trust but verify”. I would describe the importance of being able to use data, which requires a method of organizing and presenting the data in a way that makes it useful. As an aspiring pilot, I would likely explain the power and limitations of Excel so that we are able to track whether and flight hours, flight plans, and aircraft location all in a readable sheet. I would also say that “trust but verify” should be the theme of data collection and usage, especially for those of us who are not IT proficient.

• Tableau is the most important takeaway from the course and I would explain to my employer that I can now create meaningful data visualization from large sets of data which can help my employer understand and make decisions with the data presented.

• The most important take away from this course is how data is collected and used, it has become part of the business’ world, a marketing company could analysis it and it use to describe or predict the future outcome to save and make money at the same time. And knowledge of Tableau is equally important in the course, it can extract data use it to create eye catching visualization that’s easy to understand and read.

• The most important takeaway from this course was being able to use Tableau. Being able to visualize data has helped me in my current internship to show my supervisors why our current strategy wasn’t working. That is definitely an experience I can bring up during an interview.

• The most important thing that I learned in this class has to be my ability to now confidently and correctly use Excel. Excel is used in almost all business formats and is necessary for me in my future job search in the real world of data analytics. Being able to use Excel maybe even better than my boss in a company could be very crucial in moving up the ranks, and having that skill to talk about could be mentioned in an interview.

• The most valuable thing I learned this year is the importance of big data and how it relates to a companies success. Before this class, I would of never of known how to analyze data in excel using various different functions which was then used to create data visualizations in Tableau. Learning how to use Tableau was an interesting experience because it really gave me a perspective how companies portray their data in order to see an inconsistency or efficiency in a particular line of their business. When interviewing for a job I would inform the interviewer that I do have experience working with data by uncovering patterns and my new understanding of how it can be beneficial for companies to use data to their advantage.

• For me the biggest takeaway from this course are the skills we have gained from graphing data in Tableau. The inclass exercises and assignments really helped us get comfortable with the program. Also the section on representing the data properly and how companies skew their graphs to unfairly represent the data was very useful.

• I was largely unfamiliar with MIS going into this course, so I’ve learned a lot. A big takeaway for me is the importance of data in business as everything that we do. Learning Tableau and new features with Excel to help organize and display data is a very useful skill I’ve learned through this course.

• An important takeaway from the course for me is that data is everything, and your ability to analyze and manipulate data will ultimately determine your professional career. Companies want individuals who can find and explore data, and make sense of it so that the company can become more efficient, as well as more profitable. The course has allowed you to analyze the data in numerous platforms, as well as present them to others in a format that makes it easy to understand. The answers are not always the data itself, but rather the data within the data.

• The most important takeaway from this course was definitely the articles we had to read and the in class exercises utilizing tableau. The articles made me aware on how important data is in a corporation and is needed in our everyday lives. Tableau is also an extremely useful tool which can help me present data to others in the future. When interviewing for a job I would be able to tell the employer how i can utilize big data sets and format them into info graphics which is easier for everyone to comprehend.

• The most important takeaway from the course is how useful Tableau is to visualize data and answer big questions. I have always been a big fan of Excel when it comes to analyzing data; however, there is only so much that a pivot table can do. For example, Tableau “if statements” opened my eyes to entirely new opportunities. Instead of analyzing two datasets separately, an if statement can compare values, group values, or exclude values with one calculation. I wish that I had this knowledge when competing in the Data Analytics Challenge because my visualizations would have been much more dynamic. I am working with PWC’s Data Analytics group this summer and if I could go back and interview all over again, I would talk about the insight I gained from Tableau as well as knowledge I have gleaned from the articles we read in class such as the Excel pitfalls you can fall into and the importance of sentiment analysis.

• My most important takeaway from this class is overall how big a part data and data analytics plays in our lives. Data is everywhere and it is being used for so many different things. This course has opened my eyes to how the use data is changing how we do business and generally how it effects peoples lives.

• I think I learned some of the most useful in information in this class. I learned the basics of analyzing data as well as using tools such as tableau and excel to sort and visualize data. This class also made me realize that I think I may want a career in data analytics. In a job interview I would talk about the skills I learned in excel and tableau as well as the critical thinking skills I learned as applied to data science.

• The most important takeaways from this informative course were the fact of making us aware on how data analytics is identified, also the practical use of Tableau as an incredible visualization tool. If interviewed I will explain how a data prediction/projection can be done throughout the use of Excel and Tableau.

• The most important thing I learned here was ways to visualize and collect data.

I would tell an employer that I took an introductory-level class on data science :P. I would explain that I know how to collect and arrange data in both Excel and Tableau, as well as explain what an arrangement of data means.

• The biggest take away i have gotten from this course is the role of data in our everyday lives. It has really helped me understand how and why organizations are collecting our data, as well as the purposes of surveying.

• I think the most important takeaway for me would be the tableau skills that I’ve learned. Prior to taking this course, I had heard of tableau but had no clue what it did or how to use it. Since finding out how to create charts and info-graphics on tableau, I have seen it required in multiple job requirements that I have applied to and I now feel confident in being able to use it. I’m also glad that this class introduced me to as I have spent many hours outside the classroom reading articles from their website.

• The most important takeaway for this course, for me, was the Tableu software. The software is a super useful tool that I hope to continue to use in the future. It has actually been helpful for one of my other courses this semester as well.
    I would explain to a future employer in a job interview that this course prepared me for the job by teaching my how to correctly analyze data. Though I had skills in this before this class, I was unaware of the capabilities of Excel and Tableu until we explored them further in this course.

• The most important idea I learned is how data is implemented in today’s business word, in terms of data storage, transfer, analysis and interpretation. We are not doing business without the support of information we gain from data. It is important to show you really understand how the process goes for data analytic on the business management side to the recruiter that is interviewing with you.

• The most important takeaways I got from this class was probably how to use tableau. I feel like it would be very useful to have that skill on your resume because it is unique and businesses would like that.

• The most important take aways from this class I feel like were the introduction to Tableau and how to create cool data visualizations with it. I feel like that can be very important and implemented in basically any data analysis. Using the visualizations in a presentation will definitely help you stand out and keep your audience interested. I will explain how the implementation of data visualizations can increase the appeal of a company’s data presentations.

• I believe that one of the most important things I learned in this class was how to use to Tableau software. It reminds me on using the CNC machine in my woodshop class in high school, and never really learning the software, then hearing my cousin say a year later that anyone he has a job “right now” for anyone who knows how to CNC. Long story short, I think this Tableau software will be nothing but beneficial to my professional skill set as I enter the workforce. I will explain to my future employer that though I am Risk Major, I have an interest in analytics which I developed in my Data Science class. This is beneficial to me because business analytics, from what I’ve heard, is the way of the future, so to speak. And it will be beneficial to my employer because they will have someone in the Risk department who has a liking for analytics. The two could be a fantastic combination for the right company.

• The most important takeaway from the course is that data analysis is necessary and applicable to any job. No matter your major, having experience in data analysis can be very impressive to employers. I would explain to an interviewer that this course has taught me how to look at data and find valuable meaning from it in order to make inferences. With the skills taught in this course, I will be able to analyze a company data set using tools like Tableau to determine how the company is performing as well as which new business ventures may be most beneficial.

• The most important takeaway from the class was learning and gaining experience using applications like Tableau and Excel. The different types of data, and the different ways they can be interpreted taught me a great amount about the data world in general. I believe in an interview with an employer, i would emphasize the skills i learned in regards to data and applications such as Tableau and Excel.

• To me the most important thing i learned in class, at least prevalent to my future career, is about dirty data. I will be using excel a lot in my future career and dirty data is an issue all organizations face. What i probably appreciate most is what to do about dirty data moving forward, and the fact that sometimes you are best off just making sure future data is correct. In an interview i would talk about how this experience better prepares me for decision making regarding what to do when we find out data is dirty.

• The most important takeaway I have gotten from this course is the rational way of thinking about data, and how to interpret it. I have learned a lot about excel, and tableau, and how they could be useful in the business world. I have also become aware of the growing field of data science, and can see how the future of this field can be important. To a future employer, I would describe my newly acquired skills in tableau and Microsoft excel that I have learned in this course

• I believe Tableau is the most important takeaway from this class. I have used this software for data analysis in my other classes already, and feel as though I would be able to use it in many other classes in my next two years as an undergrad at temple. If I were to be asked by an employer what I have learned in an interview, I would show my proficiency in Excel and Tableau