Section 001, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 27, 2017

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 27, 2017. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

57 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 27, 2017

• Data is everywhere. Looking at raw data can be confusing and long, but it’s the process of using those raw data to make something out of it is actually fun. Using tableau for visualization is also very fun and will be useful for the future.
    This course is an introduction to MIS and you actually learn more from MIS0855 than MIS2101 in a sense of using data to understand it and make decisions. In MIS0855, you actually work with data.

• When thinking about the major takeaway from this course the first thing that comes to mind is the simple fact that data is incorporated everywhere and is extremely important to many aspects of life. If I had to explain this course to someone else I would tell them that it is about data and how to manage and transform it into visualizations. I would also tell them that working with data can help you understand it better and be more comfortable with big data. Overall, the introduction to MIS and data is shown to be very useful in the real world which is explained and showed throughout this course.

• The major thing which I have learned during my time enrolled in this course is how big of a deal data actually is. It is involved in practically everything that we do. In this class, we had been constantly working with data whether it be with our in class activities or our individual assignments. Observing and working with data is very important and there is a lot to be taken away from it. When we had discussed the concept in the beginning of the class that “data is everywhere”, that seems to certainly have been proven to be true.

• One of the most important takeaways from this class for me was that data is everywhere in our lives, even if we don’t realize it. Also, another important takeaway is that we can use the data we have and make good use of it; for example, predictive analytics and association mining. If I had to explain to a student who may be taking this course next what it is about I would say this class is about learning where data comes from, cleaning data and putting it into a spreadsheet or database, and then using that data for analytical models or for data visualization. I would recommend this class to students because I learned valuable skills in this course that can be applied to the real world.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me is that data is applicable to nearly everything you do. Data is everywhere, and ignoring the ability to use data in your life is irresponsible. It is an incredible asset to be able to know how to analyze and create data.

• My biggest takeaway from this course is the knowledge and perspective I have learned about the importance of technology in every aspect of our society. There is data and technology behind everything that we do and it is one of the most important aspects of a business. This course has taught me many things and has opened my eyes to the world of data we live in.

• The most important thing I learned in this class was the importance and relavence of data in todays society. Before taking this course I understood how data worked, but not on the same level as what this course shows those who take it. Using Excel and Tableau has changed my perspective on the topic, as their are many different ways to interpret and analyze data. As technology and society keeps progressing, the ways to analyze data will become easier and more efficient. With that said, learning to use applications such as Excel and Tableau will come in handy throughout the future.

• Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 27, 2017. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?
    The most important thing I took from this course is learning about the practical application and meaning of data in the real world. By taking this class I have learned a lot more ways to use Excel, which could help me in the future. I also learned about Tableau, something that I had never heard of before, but could be equally as helpful as my newfound knowledge of Excel. From this class, I have learned the importance of knowing how to handle, fix, and apply data in the workforce with physical applications.

• The key takeaway I received after taking this course was how to use the different variables and functions of Tableau in conjunction with Microsoft Excel. This includes the ability to understand how these functions work and why they work as well. The daily activities in class greatly helped me understand the principles taught in class since the exercises were very hands on. I know that I will be able to use Tableau in the future for data visualizations and developing info-graphics. If I had to explain to a scholar what this course was about, it would be described as being all about data. Data is the tool used in this course and in everything we do to gain information and knowledge.

• The most important takeaway is that data is in everything we use. Mostly as students who are always on social media, data is also included in these websites. Also, another takeaway is Tableau, I honestly never knew what it was but now know have to create different types of infographs. Also, the “Filter Bubble” because many of us look up things then have to deal with seeing it all around the web. All of this is from something called “Filter Bubble” and if you want to search without that happening use duckduckgo.com

• The most important takeaway I got from taking this class would be how data is everywhere and there are many ways you can interpret data. I learned how to examine data on excel sheets and visualize it in charts on Tableau. Some of the assignments were difficult but I learned a lot and how to use columns and rows in Tableau and gather information in one chart. Data is used everywhere and it is significant in many unique business practices.

• In this course, I learned a great deal about what Big Data is and how is will affect me. Since Big Data is all around, one would need to be able to organize and analyze it in order to stay in the trend, and not get left behind. Something else to takeaway is the skill in Tableau. Excel may provide the basic graphs and charts, but Tableau has much more appealing and better suited graphs and charts.

• In this course, the most important takeaway would be the importance of data in everything we do. Before I always thought data was useless and then after taking this class I learned that data can be very useful for everything. It can make a unsucessful business turn successful, it can help win an election, and many more. This class was primarily about the beginnings of data how to find it how to use filtered data and how the data can help you.

• If I was recommending this course to someone else, I’d start by mentioning how the overall theme is about data and the numerous things it can do. We often overlook what data can actually do for us and how much of it is out there. We can transform, edit, fix, and create tons of different things with it, allowing people to understand things better in so many different aspects. From tableau to regular pictographs and excel spreadsheets, the amount of understanding in data is extremely enhanced and is the first stepping stone of developing more skills in business.

• My most important takeaway from this course is that Data is everywhere. I was able to advance my skills in Excel and learn the basics of Tableau. Through four projects, this course helps you to recognize the data you see everyday and teaches you different ways to analyze/perceive/look at that data.

• The most important take-away from this course was realizing how important data science is. With exponential technological growth the online world and collect of data becomes more and more important. I also can recognize how data affects me everyday, and what I can do to use it for my benefit.

• I had two major takeaways from this course. The first was the basic usage of excel and tableau that I will use for the rest of college and in the professional world. The other takeaway was the importance of data science in my everyday life. I never looked at data the way we looked at it in this class, and it interested me.

• The biggest takeaway I got from this class was the use of tableau. I have never used this software before, and it was a nice challenge to get used to. If I was to describe this class to someone I would say it has a lot to do with actually understanding quantitative data and how to find it using tableau and excel.

• The major takeaway from this course is that data is omnipresent and plays a vital role in daily practical applications. We overlook the importance of data in our day-to-day lives as there is so much we can learn from a simple data set. Through this course, I have learned how to analyze data with data tools such as Excel, and represent that data through visualizations by using Tableau. Additionally, you learn essential data analysis techniques such as data mining, KPIs, data integration approaches, and predictive analysis, to name a few.

• One of the most imperative takeaways for me from this course was the beneficial skill of applying Tableau in the general business environment. For instance, even though Excel is great at creating various types of graphs, Tableau is the next advanced level from which one can depict the quantitative information in a feasible manner.

Finally, I would tell a future MIS0855 scholar that this course is about analyzing data via a creative and innovative software called Tableau that helps one portray the numeric information in an easily digestible manner. Furthermore, the class also enhances one’s knowledge on the type of data that correlate with the type of charts in the software.

• One take away from this course is that data is every where and very important. Most companies have an assortment of data but do not know what to do with it. Learning how to analyze and make use of the data can be very beneficial for a student’s future and a company’s future.

• The most important thing I took away from this course is that data is always present and it is imperative for people to look at it to better understand their business operations. It could be a slight oversight in the system or in the data that is costing your company hundreds of thousands of dollars. I would tell future students that this course is about the importance of data across all realms of business and learning about the ways we communicate data to each other.

• The most important thing I took away from this course is how important data is in the world today. From Facebook to the stock market to cars and beyond, data is everywhere. Excel and Tableau help us compile, clean, and analyze data. This makes data meaningful to all people.

• I think the biggest takeaway from this class for me is that data is literally everywhere, even in places you would least expect it. I also learned how data is used in our every day lives and how significant it is. I also thought that learning how to use Tableau was very practical and I would be able to use it in the future if need be.

• My biggest takeaway from this class was learning how to make good infographics. Learning Tableau is a great skill to have, especially as an MIS major. I would tell the person that this class is about what is important in the 21st century. Learning about data, how its used, and what you can do with data is an excellent skill to have for anybody.

• I learned how to become proficient in creating infographics. I also learned how to use Tableau, and be efficient with exporting new data types out of the program. I never realized how relevant data is in every day activities.

• My biggest takeaway from this course is that data is everywhere. I always thought of data as just a bunch of numbers and would never pertain to my major. To my surprise, I can connect raw data to speech pathology. I could take a sentence filled with speech errors and make an excel sheet and be able to tell what is most commonly confused in his/her speech. This class teaches a lot of hard skills that will help in the future, regardless of your major.

• If i had to explain this class to another person taking this class, first i would recommend you because you are the best. My biggest takeaway from this class would be would being able to use Tableu to interpret and make educated decisions in a business setting. I am definitely recommending this class to a lot of my friends.

• The most relevant thing that I learned from this curse is not to rely on all the data that is available online, but to deeply look into better and better data. Relying on only one source is not enough, especially because some sources are not trustable. There so many news and data available online, do not stop at the first website you find!!!

• The most important takeaway from this course is that collecting and analyzing data can give us valuable information. I also learn how to clean data in Excel, use Tableau and Piktochart to create charts and infographics. All of these skills are very helpful in ensuring efficient data analysis. If I have to explain this course to a person, I would say this gives me an overview of the roles of big data in our lives and also the tools used to analyze this.

• One thing I would takeaway from this course is how hard it is to explain it to someone what it is that MIS is. You can interpret it in so many ways but also it’s a huge benefit which is how I would explain it to someone. Data is everywhere and in MIS you can literally go anywhere when seeking a job because no matter what firm or workshop they need data in order for operation to be organizing and growing strong. That’s how I would explain to someone what MIS is .

• The most important thing I learned in this class was data is important and everywhere in our life. Espcially the data visualization is so interesting. I learned how to use Tableau to make data visualization. Also I learned how to clean dirty data.

• I believe learning tableau was the greatest takeaway from this course. My brother, who works in the finance industry, told me about a women who works with him who was able to climb the corporate ladder because of how well she could use tableau. This course was all about data. Data can be found anywhere and everywhere so being able to understand it and use it puts you at a huge advantage, and that is what this course promotes.

• The most important takeaway from this course it was to notice how data is everywhere, even in the most basic aspects of our lives. Sometimes we just don’t realize its present on our daily activities for instance when we are looking for a good restaurant on Yelp or wearing a health device such as Fitbit. Data is not only present but it is exactly how this kind of tools work. I believe MIS0855 taught me to be conscious to the world of data we are inserted in.
    Besides this, this course also teach me how to analyze, visualize and construct our own data using popular tools like Excel, Tableau and Piktochart.

• I think that the most important take away from this course is the fact that data is everywhere, but you have to make sure it is correct because skewed data is also everywhere. And even one little mistake or mishap can effect all parts of the data. I would tell a future MIS scholar that this course is not just for people interested in data science, but it is for everyone because it can be relatable to everyone. Data effects every single company, so learning a little bit about tableau, excel, spreadsheets, infographics, etc., can really help you in the future.

• The biggest takeaway from this class for me was analyzing, interpreting and organizing data (raw, unstructed, structured) while trying to make some sense out of it and come up with a conclusion based on evidence. I learned to use a number of data analytics and organizing tools such as Tableau, Excel etc and also learned a lot about the power of visual representation such as infographics, piktochart etc. I would definitely recommend taking this class to future MIS Scholar, primarily because there is a great deal to learn from this course if they want to understand the art of presenting and comprehending data. This class truly makes one look deeply, through all the fine details, and teaches one to make conclusions based on the analysis so that we’re better informed and can make better decisions.

• My biggest takeaway from MIS 0855 is that understanding data is essential for successful business, and data will continue to drive innovation and the economy in the future. Understanding how data is relevant to your profession and learning to utilize programs such as Excel and Tableau can make you an invaluable asset to any company. If I had to give a course description to a future, I would say that MIS 0855 provides you with a thorough understanding of how data can be used to improve business processes and decision making, and emphasizes the importance of data in modern business.

• My biggest takeaway from the course is how easily data can be misconstrued and if not analyzed properly, can be misused. I really enjoyed learning about the different ways to process data and how to avoid incorrect data. For a future student, I would say learning how to use tableau is a great function of the course. That knowledge can be used to create interesting data visualizations that can be used in many courses. Data science may be an MIS class but the information can be used for many majors and courses.

• I have learned a lot through this course. One of my greatest takeaway’s was analyzing data into tableau and putting it into use graphs and charts. Also picking a part bad data from good data. In the beginning, I was not sure about taking it because I had no interest in doing MIS. But with this, it has made me realize what it can really do. Overall, great learning experience.

• The most important takeaway from this course is that data is everywhere and it is really important to analyze the proper data.
    If I had to explain what this course was about I would say that this course basically helps general understanding of data and its usage, also how to analyze data using visualization (tableau, piktochart).

• The most important takeaway from this course is that data is used everywhere. It is used for companies to sell products, in schools, and even for health information, DATA is everywhere and it is being used every second for different analysis.
    If I had to explain this course I would say you learn how to use Tableau to make different data visualizations with different sets of data.

• The most important takeaway from this class for me was how important it is to have data that is clean. Throughout the course we found how if your data was altered or “dirty” in any way it can severely skew results. With this we learned many ways to clean data and how to see if data is corrupted. As a whole this information will be very valuable for me going forward with my career.

• The biggest takeaway from this course was the Tableau lessons we had. Although this is an MIS course, data is something that is in every industry. As an accounting major, I will be able to use Tableau in my future career.

• The most I took away from this class was most likely how much we should appreciate and take the time to notice how much we use data. Data is such an important part of our life, that most people don’t realize how much we use it. I liked learning tableau, and the most I used it; the most I got use to making graphs. It was very fun to make it. This class has made me realize how much data is apart of our lives and how important it is to keep our data clean and organized!

• To me, the most important takeaway from this course is learning to use Tableau. Tableau is a powerful data visualizing tool and understanding how it works helps me at my job currently, and I’m sure it will help me later in my career as well. If I were explain this course to a student, I would say that it’s about understanding data and how you can use it to understand the world.

• The most important takeaway from this class is that data is a very quickly growing field with almost limitless possibilities. Getting into the field of Big Data will open up a load of opportunities and new experiences to learn. If I had to explain what this class was about to someone else, I would say that it is an introduction to the world of data and how to manipulate it.

• Today, data is everywhere. It is important to know how to analyze datas. This class is important since you learn how to read data and analyze them. Also you learn how to clean the data if it has some wrong informations. Learning how to use Tableau is important too since it is great tool when you make data visualization.

• Since data is everywhere, it is important to know how to analyze datas. This class is important since you learn how to read data and analyze them. Also you learn how to clean the data if it has some wrong informations. Learning how to use Tableau is important too since it is great tool when you make data visualization.

• I think that the biggest takeaway from this class is the basic technical expertise of using Tableau. As a data manipulation tool, I know that it is widely used throughout many industries. Following that, learning about the nuances about data, data analytics, Big Data, etc. was also really important.

• For me, the most important takeaway from this class was understanding how the wording of questions can skew data. In class we discussed bad data collection, and ways to improve questions in order to make sure the data collected is as accurate as possible. I would tell a future MIS scholar that this course is about learning how to collect and analyze data. In addition to learning how to use an extremely helpful software (Tableau) that will make data look pretty and concise.

• The most important takeaway from this class is unlearning to trust the data. Now I know that there are so many unstructured data and we need to collect and analyze them carefully and correctly. I just cannot simply trust every information I find on the Internet anymore. I have to read the metadata and check the consistency to see whether there is abnormal data. Knowing how to use and apply Tableau into presenting data visualization will also greatly help my future career. This class also provides me a certain amount of basic knowledge which helps me understand my Intro to MIS class better.

• This course, for me, was about making data and concepts about data accessible to average people. I myself am very technologically challenged and the way the course was organized helped to make adjusting and learning much easier. Through the concepts and ideologies that we studied in this course, it showed me that nothing about data is surface level-everything can be interpreted, broken down, and visualized in different ways to benefit the user/consumer of the data. And whether we realize it or not, we’re all consumers.

• I think the most important take away from this course is that data is everywhere and you can observe data everywhere. I also didn’t know about the open data sources that can be accessed online. This is a very helpful source of information

• The most important thing I have learned from this class is that data is used everywhere and can be used in all sorts of professions not just business ones. It also helped me learn to interpret data and really understand what it means.

• The biggest takeaway for me from this course was the use of tableau; before taking this class, i have never heard of it, and now i feel very comfortable using it and pretty much understand how to use it or at least the basics. If i had to explain what this course is all about i would say that it will teach you how data is everywhere, and it is used in almost everything, there is data on anything.

• The most important thing I learned from this class is that data can be used in many ways. Data can be visualized, help draw connections and relationships with other data, and help predict future outcomes for businesses.

• Having no prior knowledge of Big Data in general, I took away a lot from this class. It was fascinating to discover how vital and regular big data is in our everyday lives, and how we also have access to all this free data. I think one of the most important things I learned from this class is that we are capable of having question, sorting through tons of data sheets, and then being able to properly analyze it. As someone who thought that this was a job only reserved for the selected few, it’s cool to know that big data can be incorporated into your life as much as you allow it.