Section 002, Instructor: Sezgin Ayabakan

Weekly Question #3: Complete by September 20

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 20. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

In your opinion, what was the most important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s talk on Friday? You can investigate a specific business problem of interest to you using the data Mr. Celebi showed. For instance, you can ask the question: how did the passenger dragging incident in April affect United Airlines’ sales? and then tell us how it can be analyzed etc. If you did not attend class you cannot answer this question unless you watch the class capture.

51 Responses to Weekly Question #3: Complete by September 20

• The most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi was how their company could track the number of times employees would log in individual databases to receive information. Although there isn’t a limitation to how much data a person for the company can access, in a way one can look at this as a restriction. My reasoning for this is because Turkish Airlines monitors employees interactions with data sites, so it’s defeating the purpose of not having a limit in the first place. I found this interesting because something has to be given up to receive something in return. Think of it as a tradeoff, which makes everyone better off. In this case, it’s providing your information to Turkish Airlines to receive information.

• What struck me the most during Mr. Celebi’s presentation was the amount of access every employee had to the company’s data. Having such access allows the entirety of the company to evaluate the statistics in real time and see what methods are effective and what needs work. Perhaps keeping track of whenever employees have access is an invasion of privacy for small payoff, however it also acts as a good insurance for seeing who might be misusing information for possibly nefarious reasons.

• I was most interested in what Mr. Celebi had to say regarding competition in the travel industry or the lack there of. Also, it looks like he has virtually unlimited access to data. He can use this to his advantage when conducting research on different routes and markets that Turkish Airlines can use to their advantage.

• The most important takeaway from Mr.Celebi’s presentation was the different types of data that he showed us in the airline industry. I was interested in how Turkish Airlines was compared to other airlines in the industry. Also, the way the company was able to track how many employees can access their data was interesting to see. Since Mr Celebi has all this data with him, he can use it to do more than what he already does and can do research on how Turkish Airlines’ profit is doing compared to other airlines.

• I think an important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s talk on Friday is when he said that the agency can see estimate cost from months in advance. This would help people to plan their trips in advance and compare prices to other airline, and it was surprising to know that over 60% load factor would be when the airline starts to make profit. He spoke about how technology has increased job opportunities as well as the benefit of learning data for work in the airline with revenue manage for analysis. This would help track market loss and find ways to improve to bring in more passengers as their business has grew from ten million to the sixty million range.

• The most important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s talk on Friday is, he showed us a lot of information about his company and how popular their airline is. In his talk, he uses data to tell us how and why his company can be the NO.1 airline, this actually surprised me, because I didn’t though their airline is that popular. He also shows us the benefits of the technology and how it helped them, they can use data to find out which airport have more passenger. He actually tells us what data we need to collect if we work for the airline company, such as the number of passengers and how it grow with each year, those are very important for an airline company.

• The most significant point in Mr. Cerda Celebi’s presentation is that he showed the system that he used to compare market share with other airlines, MIDAS This system gave him the information that he needed in order to examine the market and its effects. However, he could only track the information in a period of 4 to 5 months. He could not track the result of effects that occurred just a few days.

• The most important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s presentation is how much he used data to influence his decisions. I found it interesting that it was more profitable for Turkish Airlines to have their Pennsylvania airport in Newark instead of Philadelphia based on data his company collects. The way his company grants its employees access to all their data keeps Turkish Airline’s competitive, and Celebi even said they were the top airline company today. It was also interesting how quickly consumers forget things like the United Airlines incident, as Mr. Celebi said the event caused only a small temporary movement in the data.

• The most important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s presentation this past Friday was how much data the company uses. The Turkish airline has access to data from other airlines as well. It was interesting how the airline compares their data to other airlines and makes decisions based off of data comparison. It was also interesting to learn how employees have access to this information, and the airline can track which employees were looking at the data and for how long. The company examines their data and predicts if expansion to a new location could be profitable.

• The most interesting information I observed from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was the various data of airline companies he showed in his PowerPoint. First, Mr. Celebi surprised me that employees in Turkish Airline can have many accesses to their database where everyone can utilize a tremendous amount of useful data. Even though this idea contains possible risk, it gives everyone an opportunity to evaluate and seek what he or she needs for work. Second, the data collected from passengers and competitors allow Mr. Celebi to make market share with other airline companies and, therefore, maximize the profit of Turkish Airline.

• One key lesson that I took away from Mr. Celebi’s presentation is the importance of data analysis in predicting future consumer trends and mitigating external risks that might affect the company. By using technology with resourceful database, Turkish Airline is able to assist consumers’ demand and provide better service in other to remain as one of the top airlines globally. His presentation made me realize how big is such impact that technology has on any business nowadays and how essential it is for one to concentrate on understanding data and developing analytical skill set.

• The most interesting points that Mr. Celebi made were, in my opinion, the future growth and usage of Airlines in different parts of the world. Comparing that to the number of locations that Turkish Airlines flies to drastically shows the power and development of different areas of the world. For example, India has the second most potential for aviation after the United Sates. Even with many people living in poverty, it shows that India is on track to becoming more and more developed. However, we saw that countries in South America were relatively untouched by the Turkish Airline company. Not only this, but his power point recognized many countries there to have minimal potential in the future. This can point towards the stagnation of tourism, industrial and corporate development, and many other topics that are in South American countries. Although this may not be the case, it is still something that can be tested or, at least, acknowledged.

• From Mr. Celebi’s presentation last Friday, one of the most impressed thing for me is that Turkish Airline’s employees are allowed to access the database. Therefore, the employees can take advantage from this valuable database, although this might bring some risks at the same time. Another thing is that Mr. Celebi mentioned the passenger dragging incident in April does not affect the whole aviation industry. I am interested in checking this statement through analyzing recent profit data.

• The most interesting takeaway from Mr. Celebi was how he was responsible to integrate different sources and types of data from various databases like MIDAS into one output or report. His work was to read, analyze, and search for data in order to predict the future or value where the company “Turkish Airlines” stands now. In addition to his work in marketing and finding the new trends for the future from data. I found it outstanding how data is excessively used in airlines and almost any company and field nowadays.

• The most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s talk in Friday is that he used different datas to describe how his company, Turkish Airline runs well. He said Turkish Airline is one of the best airlines in the world, although I did not hear about this airline so much. And he compared with other airlines in the world, but the most surprising thing is Turkish Aline allow the employees to enter the database.It is interesting and as usual only the higher level group of people can access to the databases. From his presentation, I found the importance of data, it simplifies the complex datas so that people can clearly understand what the necessary of the content.

• Something interesting from Mr. Celebi’s talk was how Skytrax is the number one airline for the sixth year in a row. They also fly to more countries than any other airline. To support that, he provides a display of the world with red dots in all different countries, which he says represents their markets. The blue dots on the presentation represent destinations that are planned to launch sometime in 2017 and 2018. It was also amazing to hear that Skytrax’s lounge is actually bigger than some airlines. Another incredible fact is how passengers went from 14 million to 69 million in from 2005 – 2017; that is a huge development.

• I found one of the very first charts that Mr Celebi showed us which provided the change in fuel efficiency, fares, and fatal accidents over the years. I was not at all surprised by the negative correlation between fatal accidents and fares as obviously plane prices will drop following any public plane incident. However, I did find it interesting how the fares of plane rides did not seem to have any real correlation with fuel efficiency, meaning that airline companies are not reducing prices or even basing prices on the current price of fueling a plane. This just shows that airlines are pocketing more and more money as the continue to charge the same price (or higher price) for a plane ticket while the find technological advancements which make it cheaper for them to fuel their planes.

• I found it interesting that airline corporations have so much available data and statistics that they are constantly using to improve service or look to the future to see what might happen and how they can best adapt to these changes.
    I also found it very interesting that Turkish airlines was such a big corporation, bigger than some American companies and that it was number 1 in many categories.
    Mr. Celebi demonstrated that there is a great need for people who understand data in every aspect a corporation, and that without people who can properly use data the companies will not be successful

I also found it very interesting that Turkish airlines was such a big corporation, bigger than some American companies and that it was number 1 in many categories. The inside of the main lounge in Ankara was especially interesting to look at.

• According to Mr. Celebi’s presentation last Friday, their company had a very huge development during those years, also make some great progresses. One thing that appeals to me is that there is a growth of passengers during 2007-2016. In addition, Mr. Celebi shows why this company got a very high rank for those years. It means that more and more people will use airline, and their company will more popular in the future.

• One thing that interested me most from Mr Celebi’s presentation is how airline companies collect and organize their customers’ information. Like the movie “Up in the Air”, when the leading role flied more than 10 million miles, the captain gave him a card, which is the most precious award for customers who is loyal to their airline company. It’s hard to imagine how they record every customers’ information so detailedly. But this incredible database has become one important part for a good airline company.

• The most important thing I took from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was the answer to the question I asked him. I asked him if he felt that technology would ever take over the jobs of the airline industry and what he does. He said that the job has so much to do with human interaction that technology could not take its place. This was news to me because I never would have realized this beforehand and actually gave me a new insight on business.

• The most attractive point is that Mr.Celebi uses an interesting example, Turkish Airlines’ staffs who can share the information of the whole company. I think this policy is a smart choice because these employees can know the problems from inside at the first time. What I want to know is that how some great Airline deal with competition? If I want to solve the problem, researching some new Airline companies is an important element. Then find their situation in the society, and we can compare great Airline company with the new company.

• The most interesting thing I find from Mr. Celebi’s presentation is all employees in Turkish Airline can access company’s database. Although it contains many uncertain risks, the Turkish Airline’s accomplishment shows the power of data. They collect, analyst and use the data to predict the future, trend and risks. Data is so powerful to make a company develop so fast and successful, this really shocked me.

• For me, the most interesting takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s talk on friday was that there are alot of database involved in an airline companies. Their data is collected from the past records that have been already collected in order to predict what they would be like in the future. It seemed like having databases were such an important thing, it wouldnt have been ran properly without those data. I always thought having too much data was unsafe and pointless but after listening to Mr. Celebi, the way I view data definitely changed and was reminded again that it’s an important factor.

• For me, the most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s talk was that the alot of databases need to be collected in order to run the airline companies properly. Their data would be collected from their past records and would be used to predict what it would be like in the future. I always felt like having too much data was unsafe and pointless but after his presentation, my thoughts on having data definitely changed. I never knew that the data plays an important role in the airline company. It was an interesting presentation overall.

• For me, it was interesting to see how much of Turkish Airlines` market strategy was data-driven as he outlined with the projections of global airline usage and how these projections give insight into the market strategy of Turkish Airlines` to get an early start in African and Asian markets as those markets are projected to show most improvement.And Mr.Celebi was quite insightful in showing us larger airlines increase the number of destinations they fly to by acquiring regional airlines as is the case with Etihad Airlines buying Jet Airways in order to increase the number of destinations inside India as Etihad flies to only a certain destinations.

• I believe the passenger dragging incident of the United Airlines or the price increase of the Delta Airlines during the hurricane season affects their sales greatly. This can be analysed by the their data analysis teams. Airlines collect huge chunks of data about themselves and the consumers. Because of this, the companies have access to graphs and data to show them their sales and where they stand in PR relations. But because United Airlines is a big monopoly and some if the connecting flights are only operated by them, love it or hate it, you will fly with them again. Because of this, their market share was not decreased too much. This is very similar to the situation with Apple. Their business strategy is to develop software that makes you stick to them. For example, all of my friends use iMessage. This service is only available on Apple Devices. If I switch to Android I won’t be able to use the service. Or the iCalendar. An amazing service, but their API is so bad that many developers don’t even try to implement it. So once you have set it up with all of your events, you are stuck with it.

• The one thing that I remember best about Mr. Celebi’s presentation is how dominant Turkish Airlines was compared to its competition. I always had this idea that the airline industry was highly competitive, and that all the companies were pretty much neck and neck with each other. The one thing that I would like to learn more about is how they became so dominate and how they are able to stay at the top for so long.

• The most important part of Mr. Celebi’s presentation is that Turkish Airlines use data to develop and stabilize the company. Data influence all industries. Entrepreneurs can use data to set up the corporate division. In addition, senior management can use data to analyze the condition of the company and compare to other companies in the same industries. In my opinion, data also is a alarm bell of hostile takeover. Analyzing the data can also protect the ownership.

• The most important thing I got out of Mr. Celebi’s presentation was how they use data for everything. They get their data online for free and it is available to the public. I also found that the data is important for Turkish Airlines to make themselves be the best and most profitable company that they can be.

• The most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was how effective Turkish Airline’s use of data analytics is. Mr. Celebi showed multiple ways in which the company uses data in order to improve business and expand the company. This data was proven to be effective in improving business when he showed the large amount of Turkish Airlines located throughout the world. He also stated that they plan on expanding to new locations in the future, which was made possible through the data available and an analysis of this data.

• One of the key points i learned from Mr Celebi’s presentation was how data plays a major role in airline companies and how they use data in their advantage to become more profitable. I also learned that Turkish airlines not only care about profit but they also care about reaching new demographics and new cultures.

• I believe that the most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s speech is that his company can able to track the number of passengers using their flight service. His presentation shows clearly how many passengers had used the Turisk Airlines in the last 5 years and what kind of service the customer uses or type of plane they travel. The data is an important role for the company to know how to improve their service for the customer and develop more Turkish Airline service in many locations around the world. Therefore, he also shows us how they will expand their investment through using data, analysis the benefits and prevent any negative data in the future.

• In my opinion the most interesting and important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s lecture is that Turkish Airlines flies to more destinations than any other airline in the world. This was very surprising to me when you think of all the major airlines; British Airways (BA), United Airlines, Delta, Emirates, Etihad, and so many more than appear to be such massive airlines yet do not fly to as many destinations. Additionally it was interesting that he discussed how the Chinese and Indian markets are predicted to be the best to expand into, as they have so many people there but not that many airports. The only issue My. Celebi said moving into those markets is that they are not free markets, and an airline must negotiate a deal with an existing national airline.

• In my opinion the most interesting and important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s speech is that Turkish Airlines flies to more destinations than any other airline in the world. In the market for airlines he discussed how even medium sized ones like JetBlue will struggle to stay profitable, therefore it is obviously important that Turkish Airlines keeps up their massive amount of destinations and stays on top of the competition.

• Serdar Celebi’s talk on Friday was important because it showed us all the different ways that his airline uses data. He used some data to show us why he thought his airline could be #1, and the other data is used to help his airline keep up all the data from other airlines along with their own. This data is very helpful for them and is paramount in their operation, which goes to show just how valuable data can be. Without it, it would be much more difficult for the airline to keep track of passenger records and yearly growth.

• The most important takeaway from Mr.Celebi’s presentation was the amount of access every employee have to the company’s data and how the company is able to track how many employees can access the data. Also, they amount of data they can have and then compare it to the airlines to see which airline is better.

• An important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was how there’s no limit on the amount of data he can track. It’s also very interesting to me how all the employee’s for Turkish Airlines have access to this data. This is definitely valuable when trying to make a top of the line company. I’m sure Turkish airlines uses this to their advantage and tries to make their airline better as the years continue. It’ll absolutely help them find ways to compete with competition if every employee can help out by accessing this data.

• The most interesting part for me, listening to Mr. Celebi’s lecture, was about the low level of competition within the industry. Anytime that you can add a competitive nature to your work, employees will work harder, researchers work longer and strive further to be the best. People generally work more efficiently because of the fact that there’s a pressure to succeed. If there’s an incentive to be the best, and the first to be the best, there would be a more competitive nature within the industry. Especially in this type of business with the limitless amounts of data available, the competition level to be the best would be much higher than Mr. Celebi made it out to be.

• Hearing Mr. Celebi speak on Friday really confirmed that big data and information is really at use behind the decisions a company makes… You can lecture to us all you want about and assign all the articles in the world, but to actually see a company’s presentation and representative show data at work in making decisions, it proves that what we’re doing is almost invaluable.

• The most important takeaway from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was just how much data is used in making business decisions. I especially noticed the graph demonstrating the difference in market share and population in countries like India and China, and can determine future decisions to try to breach that untapped market. Hearing someone who deals with this information on a daily basis really drove home how important data analytics is in the current business world.

• I thought something important to take away fro Mr. Celebi’s presentation was his company’s reliance on data to determine the best sources of revenue. For example, Mr. Celebi made mention of the fact that Turkish Airways benefits greatly from business class flyers according to his data. This information is very valuable and his company makes use of this actionable data by routing flights to airports with many business class flyers.

• After listening to Mr. Celebi’s presentation my main take away was the the higher ups and CEOs of companies are starting to see the relevance and importance of big data and data analytics. As Mr. Celebi pointed out all employees at Turkish Airlines have access to the massive data bases. I think this is in an effort to get employees to start utilizing data as a tool to make more educated business decisions.

• The most important take away for me from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was that future growth for major airlines (as well as for major corporations in general) is very likely to be dominated by the untapped markets in India and China. What was so interesting about this for me is how a company must remain competive and viable in a non-free market environment that is essentially stacked against foreign capital. This seems like a tricky balance of remaining a globally competitive company but also becoming an integrated part of these restrictive economies.

• The presentation impressed me by how the information and data improve the development of the company. With the technology developing rapidly, the skills to process data become more and more important. Mr. Celebi really uses his professional knowledge to present the actual situations to us and let me understand how useful these techniques could be.

• I thought that Mr. Celebi’s speech was interesting in how his job had aspects that incorporated him predicting where the next destination they want to setup will be. He has to analyze data among passengers AND companies to help bring more income by getting more destinations setup. He has to look at it first from a passenger viewpoint then logistically from the companies viewpoint.

• The major take away from Mr. Celebi’s presentation was how extensively the data he and his company collected can be analyzed to make decisions. Clearly, Turkish Airlines uses a lot of data, and it seems like they trust it too. Mr. Celebi uses the data to find which airports are cost effective to fly in and out of, and where people are more likely to fly out of. For instance, he doesn’t necessarily see Turkish Airlines extending their range of flying to the Midwest and Northwest parts of the United States, because those areas are largely dominated by domestic airline carriers, and other European airlines like Lufthansa and Emirates who can fly people internationally. Mr. Celebi also mentioned the large potential growth for Turkish Airlines in Asia and the South Pacific. This is an area that will require multiple hoops to jump through in order for his company to get there, but the data they have collected shows it as a positive area to expand to and explore.

• I thought Mr. Celebi’s speech was interesting. Turkish Airline has lot of cooperation with international airline from all over the world. And the data he showed expressed Turkish Airline still had huge development potential. He showed a map that showed most airline concentrated on Europe, Middle East, and America.
    I want to know why do not they send time to exploit the market of East Asia?

• For me an important takeaway from Serdar Celebi’s talk was the amount of access every employee has into the company’s data and how the company is capable to trail how many and which employees accessed the data. With this way of operating, the entirety company can analyze the data and determine which strategies are potent and which strategies need improvement.