Section 002, Instructor: Sezgin Ayabakan

Weekly Question #4: Complete by September 27

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 27 Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Take a look at the Hoven article from this week (“Stephen Few on Data Visualization: 8 Core Principles”). Which one of the eight principles do you think is most important? Why?

51 Responses to Weekly Question #4: Complete by September 27

• I personally think the “Be Skeptical” principle is the most important. Whenever you’re dealing with large amounts of data, there are always going to be some correlations. The fact is that some of those correlations are just coincidences and if you’re not skeptical of the info and don’t make sure that the correlations are accurate then you could end up making false accusations and generalizations.

• I think the “Explore” principle is the most important because as we look at our data, we have to be able to discover what is in our data. We need to have the interest in looking at where the data is coming from and what exactly is going on in terms of the correlation of data. The more we explore data, the more knowledge we gain as we look at the visualizations. Having interest in exploring data makes us a lot more interested in what we are looking at.

• As far as I am concerned, the “Simplify” is the most important principles. The basic function of data visualization is to let people know the situation or the information directly and simply. One important thing is that not everyone can understand the complex data, like Nightingale, she showed the fact through simplifying the data into a circle diagram, then others understand the serious situation. Thus, base on conveying information, “Simplify” is the most important point.

• From my perspective, “Ask Why” plays a key role in creating good data visualization. The purpose of creating a graph or chart is to make it easier people acknowledge of the information and see the connection between different data sets so as to come up with results and conclusions. Simon Sinek, one of my favorite motivational speakers, once said, “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.” Therefore, with “Why” questions, data visualization will make more impact on the improvement and development of individuals and societies as a whole.

• In my opinion, the “View Diversely” plays a key role when creating a good data visualization. Data should be viewed from various perspectives, not just from one person. Everyone has different thoughts and ideas, in order to satisfy all the viewers, it should include different views on the same data. It would allow them to compare and contrast the same data viewed from different perspectives which would make it more interesting.

• I find the first principle, “Simplify” to be the most important in terms of Data visualization. Data should be able to accessible by whoever desires to understand what they want to research. Whether it be data on the movement of interest rates or the supplying of toys to a distribution. Any type of data should simply to follow and easy to decipher.

• The most important principle is to “Ask Why” because data visualization will often only tell a small part of what is occurring. If we only see a small part of a story, we might conclude that the most direct reasoning for the data is true. For example, if we don’t ask why ice cream correlates with drowning, we might assume an incorrect cause. When it comes time to take action on data, we want to make sure to have the correct reason behind what the data shows so we make the best decisions.

• In my opinion, “Be Skeptical” is the most important principle of data visualization. Data isn’t just organized and presented visually for a fun picture, but in for deeper analysis of what is being presented as a whole. If data is coherent and simple enough to decipher as well as question-provoking, analysis becomes simpler, which increases the overall analysis and the speed of which the data is being analyzed, creating more productivity.

• I think the most important principle is “Simplify” because data should be easy for people to read and understand. If data is too complex to read, it will cause some misunderstandings. Simple data can give people information directly and clearly. We don’t want to spend a lot time learning how to read data.

• For me the most important principle is “Compare” because I know that I am a visual person so I need to see everything set in front of me to process whats going on. Also seeing things set side by side allows me to compare and contrast the differences and see where to make improvements. I think especially since there is technology provided where you do not have to rely solely on memorization only then you can use that energy to focus and put more potential on other area such as analysis.

• I think that “simplify” is the most important because it makes us able to understand the data directly to the point. We need to decide what type of visualizations will suit the data we want to present. Les’t suppose that we have accurate data from great sources, but we include the data that is not relevant or present it in the way that is hard to understand. It turns out to be pointless. That’s why I think “simplify” has the most significance.

• When reading Stephen’s 8 core principles, the one that seemed most important was the simplify principle. Being able to simplify data in a quick and understanding way is very important and efficient for data collections. Having too many options can make the task seem more challenging than it really is. Therefore, simplifying to the correct measure makes creating data visualizations and understanding them much easier.

• In my opinion, “View Diversely” is one of the most important principles. Because data are multidimensional, and each data can produce information about many aspects. If we only focus on one side of the data, we might narrow the exploring path and neglect extensive values of the data. As we view data diversely, we may gain different insights and perspectives from various layers of the data.

• The most famous of the eight would be “view diversely” because it helps one expand their view of the data he or she is looking at in specifics. Going off of just what you interpret and takeaway is only so much to a certain extent. It’s best to seek more input from others, that way one can see how the data presented falls into place. For these reasons I most certainly believe this should be the headline of the article by Stephen.

• Out of Stephen’s eight core principles the one that i find the most important is “Simplify”. To me this is the most important principle because one of the worst things for me is when I am looking at a table or any other form of data that is supposed to be teaching me something and I can not understand it. This may happen when the graph has too much information in it or the information is not displayed in a clear way.This defeats the purpose of the graph.

• Out of Stephen’s eight principles, I feel that being skeptical is the most important when it comes to gathering data. We too often take the information that is given to is without even considering that it could be incorrect. The first thing we hear isn’t always the correct thing, and someone focusing on data should always make sure that the numbers are telling the true story. Errors in data tend to build upon themselves, but if we are more skeptical about the data then we can catch these issues before they’re published.

• In my opinion, “Simplify” is the most important principle on data visualization. Instead of saying “the most important principle”, I would like more to say “the most basic principle”, because people’s purpose to choose data visualization tools is making the process of data analysis easier. If the data is showed in a really complex way, people will need to pay more attention to understand the data. Once people misunderstand this chaotic data, it will influence the following step of analyzing this data. This is contrary to people’s original intention of using data visualization tools.

• “Simplify” is the most important principle to me. The main point of data visualization is to make data more understandable to the majority who know less about data analysis. Providing data that is easy to understand, helps the providers to be more persuasive. Plus, the outcome of data visualization will be more clear with the results and consequences if the simplified process was done well.

• In my opinion, I think “simplify” is the most important principle in data visualization. In order to understand and interpret data you have to make it as simple as possible. Complex data cannot be utilized and understood by the majority of people, but visuals like charts and graphs make it way easier for everyone to use and read data.

• As far as i am concerned, “View Diversely” is the most important principle of data visualization. We can see the different points of view when we are talking about or analyzing some data. In addition, we can get more information through we view data diversely, we are able to get more different opinion of those data, so we cannot miss any useful information about those data.

• Personally, I think the Simplify principle is the most important. I say this because in today’s world, a lot of visualizations are big, bright, and “in your face”. After a while these types of ads and visuals can become synonymous and frustrating, so keeping your data visualization simple can be a new way of attracting attention to your data. Instead of having all of the glitz and glamour, one can have a simple compilation of data which is easy to read and understand, while also getting its message across.

• After Reading “Stephen Few on Data Visualization: 8 Core Principles”, all 8 core principles were very unique in their own but what stood out to me the most and the one that i think is the most important is “View Diversely” because it is very open and optional. it gives its viewers the alternative to view data from different aspect. On top of that the availability of various data set help having understanding them all, not just one thing.

• I believe the “simplify” principle is the most important in data visualization. There are many ways for data to be presented to people but the best is when a visual is easily analyzed and studied. Simplifying data visualizations is extremely important because it allows the data to be analyzed by anyone which is very valuable. Also, when a data visual is simple, more attention is attracted to it.

• The most important aspect of good data visualization is “Simplify”. Data visualization is supposed to provide an easy way to understand data compared to trying to analyze data in plain text. Interesting and relevant data can be overshadowed by distracting and excessive designs. If the data visualization is too complicated, it defeats the purpose of including a data visualization to begin with. Another reason why simplicity is important is because a distracting design has the possibility of generating suspicion that the data presented is not what it seems and that the complicated design is a way to mislead the reader.

• After read the article, I think the “explore” is most important one among of eight. Since all the companies need data to collect the information, so they use different tools to explore different data is the most important thing for them, because they need to find the data they need. Today, people can use so many different tools to explore data from internet such as computer and smartphone, but it will be hard to find the correct data. Explore is important, because people need use it to find correct and trust-able data.

• In my opinion the “Be Skeptical” point is the most important of the eight. I think this because it is so easy for us all to believe someone who presents us with their data and conclusion because it looks nice or they seem smart, when they could actually have some other agenda. Being convinced of something is too easy when someone appears to have the data to back it up, but you never know how exactly they got the data or all the facts that may lay under the surface.

• I believe the “simplify” is the most important principle. Analysis complex data take people huge time. And illustration consequence of analysis to people in their understanding way is also tough.
    Tableau creates visualization captures perfectly solve those problem.

• I think “Explore” is most important principle. In the process of exploration, people will recognize new things or acquire new knowledge. Scientists will never invent new things unless they explore or experiment.As long as you research attentively, you will see that anything has its own meaning of existence, and that the process is enjoyable.

• I think that the “be skeptical” part is the most important principle. The author is right when he says that we often take data that we get as facts. We need to be double checking to see that our data is as accurate as possible and comes from a source that is as unbiased as possible. The more accurate we make the data that we are putting in, the more accurate our results are going to be.

• I believe “Simplify” is the most important principle. Being able to convey your ideas is the purpose of creating visualizations. Reducing the amount of distractions allows for a clearer, stronger point which will mitigate misunderstanding and confusion.

• I think the most important principle is “Simplify”. Mainly because, this is the foundation that enables all of the other principles to take place. If you don’t have a simplified data set then you don’t have the room to interpret comfortably and accurately.

• From my opinion, I believe “simplify” is most important. Because people would like to use more sample data in the modern society. Nowadays, people do not have too much time on reading articles or do some deep research. For example, as a college student, I always feel a little busy all the time, when I professor let me read some long article or materials, I will find summaries of these articles or materials. I have to admit this is incorrect, but it also is a fast way to understand professor’s assignments. Therefore, I think “simplify” is most important for data.

• I find being skeptical the most important principle. Many people do not use the right information because they do not take the time to see if there information is correct. They click the first link that looks like the information on the page is correct. That link could just be a made up page with false information.

• In the Hoven article I think “explore” is the most important core principle out of the bunch. We must explore data in order to make new discoveries about our world and the greater universe. This will help us adapt as a society so that we can overcome any obstacle that gets in our way. We’ll also be more invested when exploring these data visualizations because we’ll continue to gain more knowledge.

• In the Hoven article I think “explore” is the most important core principle out of the bunch. We must explore data in order to make new discoveries about our world and the greater universe. This will help us adapt as a society so that we can overcome any obstacle that gets in our way. We’ll also be more invested when exploring these data visualizations because we’ll continue to gain more knowledge about data.

• One of the most important steps in my opinion would be to SIMPLIFY the data. The reason I find this to be so important is because it makes data visualization comprehensible to everyone not just those who are well informed. It also makes understanding the visualization much faster without having to look too much into it.

• I personally think that Simplify is the most important principle because as MIS majors it is our job to take the raw data, convert it into something useful for business members to understand and use in their models. Not many people besides the ones intereacting with the data can read data without converting it into meta data first or creating a visualization for it. That is where a data analyst is needed.

• I believe the most important principal is to “be skeptical.” Making a simple graph or table can often lead you to accepting the first answer a data set points you toward. With a program like Tableau, you are afforded the opportunity to ask more questions and use more data. You must thoroughly try to falsify your original hypothesis before simply accepting it, so to be skeptical of all results is vital to data representations.

• I think that the most important principle from the Hoven article is explore. Exploring data is very important because it leads us to way more information. If we just settle on looking at a few data sets, we might get a limited viewpoint on a topic. We should look for many data sets for a better overall understanding of the topic we are looking for.

• I think the most important principle from the Hoven article is to “simplify” the data. When the data is confusing and difficult to understand it is important to simplify it and make it visually appealing. For someone that does not understand technically advanced language, it is easier and less intimidating for them to look at a simple graph and understand the data being presented. With different variations of graphs it is easy to simply the data and choose the right graph to present it.

• As far as I’m concerned that Explore is the most important principle from Hoven’s article. Using data, we can predict things in the future. Not only can we solve the current problem, but also rising our horizon. We should explore more creative ideas from data visualization.

• In my opinion, “simplify” is the most important principle because data visualization should be simple and understandable to anyone who wants to use the data. In other words, any type of data should be simple and easy to follow to the reader

• I believe that the simplify aspect is the most important to data visualization. If I am looking for an infographic, I am looking for something that looks easy to read, is simple with it’s design, and not too wordy. If anyone of those aspects aren’t present, I will skip over it. Since it is one of the most important aspects of data visualization, Hoven puts it at the top of the list.

• View Diversity is an important part of the eight as it will give us different viewpoint from the same data which can help us get rid of own biases by contemplating the different aspects of the same problem and help us come to much a more informed decision as data is useless to us if we cannot overcome our biases .For instance, we can use the data to help us understand the numerical aspects of the topic we are trying to understand however deciding the best course of action is still dependant on us, humans, therefore trying to reduce human error should be accounted for when using and understanding data.

• “View Diversely” is the aspect I feel carries the most weight to data visualization. This principle calls for different perspectives which is a major key in anything that has to do with problem solving. It would be easy to simply take one set of data and use it, however this leaves room for error. By implementing this core principle it allows the data to cover broader areas and the viewer may be able find and fit different things from looking at it from another perspective.

• I believe the most important part of these 8 principles is the why principle. Some of the most incredible and important discoveries in the history of our world have been discovered because someone asked the question why. Hoven says “this is where actionable results come from,” and I personally believe this to be the case. This goes hand in hand with being skeptical. It can only improve the quality of your data and research if you ask why.

• I think that being skeptical about the answers we receive from data is probably the most important principle from the article. We often are very satisfied with the information we get from our data once we first find it. I believe that there is great value in detering our satisfied minds from the initial answers we find because trusting them may mean a false understanding of our data.

• I believe that the most important principle in this article is to “explore”. The reason I believe this principle to be the most important is because by “exploring” an individual develops and shows a keen interest for what they are dealing with. Having an interest for anything allows for one to grow and enhance their skills so that they may better master whatever it is they are dealing with. It is not possible for an individual to become better at handling data or learn how to improve their own skills if they don’t “explore”.

• I believe that the most important principle in this article is to “explore”. The reason I believe this to be the most important principle is because by “exploring” an individual grows to develop a keen interest in a matter as it is up to them to discover how to grow and improve their own set of skills. For handling data, if an individual “explores”, they are more likely to be able to master the skills of data science in a way that someone who had not “explored” could not.

• i believe the “Ask Why” principle is the most important. the reason is that if you do not know each individual data or interest you are analysis or do not know how to improve it in the future, you can not move to the next principle like “exploring” or “simplify”. You have to know why it is needed and how to work with it.

• I think “Be Skeptical” is very very important. Data visualization can be adjusted in a way to trick the viewers. There have been many researches and even lawsuits against people who lied via data visualization. To eliminate these, we need to be both, skeptical of the data and the visualization.