Section 002, Instructor: Sezgin Ayabakan

Uncategorized

Exam review session canceled

Dear All,

I am very sad to announce that our review session that was going to hosted by our ITA Prince is cancelled due to his absence. I apologize on behalf him. I’m in South Korea for our annual international comference now and this is the best I could do.

Please go ahead and watch our last review session that was held last Friday.

Best,

Sezgin

Final Exam will be on Dec 15 between 1 and 2pm.

Hi Everyone,

This is a reminder that our final exam will take place on Dec 15 Friday at 1pm. You will have 1 hour to complete the exam and it will be in our regular classroom–Alter 232. See the schedule of final exams from this link.

Study hard and get some great scores from this very final exam! It was my great pleasure to be your instructor this semester. Good luck to you all!

Sezgin

Guest Speaker on Monday Oct 30: Randy Zwitch

Upcoming Monday (Oct 30), we will have a guest speaker from Comcast Headquarters in Philadelphia: Randy Zwitch. His bio is below:

Randy Zwitch is Principal Data Scientist at Comcast Headquarters in Philadelphia. As part of the Enterprise Business Intelligence department, Randy uses distributed computing and machine learning techniques to evaluate the impact of product launches, develop customer service improvement strategies and understand how consumers use Comcast products.
Prior to his work at Comcast, Randy has held roles in numerous industries including energy, banking, marketing, consulting and cloud-computing. Also an avid open-source software advocate, Randy has developed or contributes to over a dozen software packages, primarily for the Julia and R programming languages.
Please prepare questions before class and try to ask as many questions as you can after his talk. This is a great opportunity to learn from an expert in the field and a great chance for you to network.
I may post an extra-credit assignment related to his talk. So listen to him carefully.

Study Guide for Exam 2

Here is the study guide for the first exam.

Couple of items for your attention:

• Exam #2 is on Nov 3, Friday at 4pm.
  • One of our MIS PhD Students will proctor the exam. I will be at a conference.
  • If you are an athlete and have a conflict, then don’t wait till the last minute. Talk to me immediately.
  • I will hold an exam review during our regular class time on Nov 1st, Wednesday. No other review session has been planned as of now.

Suggested study approach:

• Review the Study Guide first, then:
  • Start with the slides
    • Look at the major concepts
    • Where a slide is associated with a reading, review the reading that covers the major concept
    • Understand how the reading is associated with the slide, and the reading’s key concepts
  • Then look at the quizzes
    • Review the questions and answers to the quizzes
    • Understand where all the answers came from, review those readings
  • Then review the In-Class Exercises
    • If we did it in an exercise, it’s probably important.
    • Focus on topics we emphasized in the Exercises.
  • Then, review your Assignments.
  • Lastly, re-read any readings you didn’t review in the prior study steps.

Teams

I will list down the teams and their members here so that you can view who is available who is not.

Teams that says Temp should change their names. Those are randomly assigned names.

Team Name Member1 Member2 Member3 Member4 Member5 Member6
Fab Five Zack S. Subin L. Jack A. Sean F. Jake Z.
Team 1 Erin B. Will M. Zaur B. Vignesh S. Bafode K.  Kiba K.
The Mighty Ducks Kalen A. Brandon G. Paul O. Jose R.
404 Chengye H. Zihao P. Xiaohan S. Zhongzheng S.
C.A.S. Chavisa A. Amjad T. Sarah M.
TBD Philip M. Melissa N. Matt T. Shayna B. Christia E.
Datanova Hanyu S. Ziliang Z. Tianyun L.
Temple Elites Jinzhao Z. Zeiwei W. Yan C.
Four’s Company Ian B. Brandon M. William K.  Andrew K.
Chill Lihong R. Shuting H.  Khoa N.  Joshua M.
R&W Ryan N. Will B.
Poland Spring Christopher B. Dominic E. Nhi N. Hayden T. Minyoung O.
Sezgin’s Sauce Kieran B. Seth D. Janea J. Andrew K. Stanley L. Aislan L.
Temp: Gelato Fahmid A. Robert J. Kevin P.

Study Guide for Exam 1 and Announcements

Here is the study guide for the first exam.

Couple of items for your attention:

• Exam is on October 6 Friday.
  • I will hold an exam review during our regular class time on October 4 Wednesday.
  • We will do InfoGraphics in-class exercise on October 2 Monday.
  • Our ITA will hold exam review sessions on Oct 3 and Oct 5 between 5 and 6pm. Location will be announced.

Suggested study approach:

• Review the Study Guide first, then:
  • Start with the slides
    • Look at the major concepts
    • Where a slide is associated with a reading, review the reading that covers the major concept
    • Understand how the reading is associated with the slide, and the reading’s key concepts
  • Then look at the quizzes
    • Review the questions and answers to the quizzes
    • Understand where all the answers came from, review those readings
  • Then review the In-Class Exercises
    • If we did it in an exercise, it’s probably important.
    • Focus on topics we emphasized in the Exercises.
  • Then, review your Assignments.
  • Lastly, re-read any readings you didn’t review in the prior study steps.

Guest Speaker on September 15: Serdar Celebi

Our guest speaker on Friday will be Serdar Celebi from Turkish Airlines Head Office in NYC. Mr Celebi holds an EMBA and MPA and works as a Marketing Analyst at Turkish Airlines. He performs trend analyses using data provided from MIDT and DOB Systems and directly reports to top management. Prior to Turkish Airlines, Mr. Celebi worked as a e-commerce business development and account manager at Giga Data. You can also look at his information on Linkedin.

Please be sure to come to class prepared to ask questions about airline industry and data science.

Office Hours

Sezgin Ayabakan, PhD (Instructor)

Office: 201B Speakman Hall

Office hours: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, Mondays and Wednesdays, Main Campus

ITA information

Prince Patel

prince@temple.edu

Office: Speakman 209

Office Hours: Fridays 10:00am – 12:00pm