MIS 0855: Data Science Fall 2017

Section 002, Instructor: Sezgin Ayabakan

Weekly Question #7: Complete by November 8

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 8. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

What was the biggest challenge in Assignment #4? How did you resolve it?

Reading Quiz #8: Complete by November 6

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on November 6
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Guest Speaker on Monday Oct 30: Randy Zwitch

Upcoming Monday (Oct 30), we will have a guest speaker from Comcast Headquarters in Philadelphia: Randy Zwitch. His bio is below:

Randy Zwitch is Principal Data Scientist at Comcast Headquarters in Philadelphia. As part of the Enterprise Business Intelligence department, Randy uses distributed computing and machine learning techniques to evaluate the impact of product launches, develop customer service improvement strategies and understand how consumers use Comcast products.
Prior to his work at Comcast, Randy has held roles in numerous industries including energy, banking, marketing, consulting and cloud-computing. Also an avid open-source software advocate, Randy has developed or contributes to over a dozen software packages, primarily for the Julia and R programming languages.
Please prepare questions before class and try to ask as many questions as you can after his talk. This is a great opportunity to learn from an expert in the field and a great chance for you to network.
I may post an extra-credit assignment related to his talk. So listen to him carefully.

Study Guide for Exam 2

Here is the study guide for the first exam.

Couple of items for your attention:

• Exam #2 is on Nov 3, Friday at 4pm.
  • One of our MIS PhD Students will proctor the exam. I will be at a conference.
  • If you are an athlete and have a conflict, then don’t wait till the last minute. Talk to me immediately.
  • I will hold an exam review during our regular class time on Nov 1st, Wednesday. No other review session has been planned as of now.

Suggested study approach:

• Review the Study Guide first, then:
  • Start with the slides
    • Look at the major concepts
    • Where a slide is associated with a reading, review the reading that covers the major concept
    • Understand how the reading is associated with the slide, and the reading’s key concepts
  • Then look at the quizzes
    • Review the questions and answers to the quizzes
    • Understand where all the answers came from, review those readings
  • Then review the In-Class Exercises
    • If we did it in an exercise, it’s probably important.
    • Focus on topics we emphasized in the Exercises.
  • Then, review your Assignments.
  • Lastly, re-read any readings you didn’t review in the prior study steps.

Reading Quiz #7: Complete by October 23

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on October 23
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this NEW link.

Weekly Question #6: Complete by October 25

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 25. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

Office Hours

Sezgin Ayabakan, PhD (Instructor)

Office: 201B Speakman Hall

Office hours: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm, Mondays and Wednesdays, Main Campus

ITA information

Prince Patel

prince@temple.edu

Office: Speakman 209

Office Hours: Fridays 10:00am – 12:00pm