MIS 0855: Data Science Spring 2018

Section 004, Instructor: Larry Dignan

Reading Quiz #9: Complete by April 16

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on April 16, 2018.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 16

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 16, 2018.

Leave a post about your group project:

1. What is the subject of your group project?
  2. Which of your fellow scholars are in your group?

Only one group member has to make the post (only one post per group), but for your other group members to get credit they need to be mentioned in the post.

Extra credit assignment due April 16

For one point added to your final grade, here’s what I’m looking for. Read these following two Q&As and give me 100 words on one of them (your choice).

1. Death and data science: How machine learning can improve end-of-life care
  2. A day in the data science life: Salesforce’s Dr. Shrestha Basu Mallick

The 100 words should focus on one of the following:

• What are the challenges with this topic in regards to data science?
  • How do you foresee analytics affecting the fields that are in the interviews (end of life care and sales  to assistance)?
  • What was your biggest takeaways from these two data scientists?

This will be due on April 16 to me before class via email.

Reading Quiz #8: Complete by April 9

Some quick instructions:

• You must complete the quiz by the start of class on April 9, 2018.
  • When you click on the link, you may see a Google sign in screen. Use your AccessNet ID and password to sign in. It will then take you to the quiz.
    If it says you don’t have access, make sure you’re signed out of your regular Gmail (non-TUMail) account!
  • You can only do the quiz once. If you submit multiple times, I’ll only use the first (oldest) one.
  • This is “open book” – you can use the articles to answer the questions – but do not get help from anyone else.

Ready? Take the quiz by clicking this link.

Weekly Question #8: Complete by April 9 class start

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 9, 2018. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Once again, find another online article dated within last two weeks from a credible source that has something to do with data and is interesting and relevant to you. Copy and paste the URL directly into your response followed by a few sentences that explain what is interesting about it.

Office Hours

Larry Dignan lawrence.dignan@temple.edu Alter Hall 232 267.614.6467 Class time: 5:30-8pm, Mondays Office hours: Monday hour before class, half hour after class or by appointment.