Section 002, Instructor: Larry Dignan

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 17, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 17, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

36 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 17, 2017

• A data-driven service I regularly use would be Amazon.com. If you exported this data to a CSV, each row would represent a customer order. Examples of columns would be order id, total, number of products, names of products, first name, last name, address 1, city, state, zip code country, shipping method, shipping cost, order date, ship date, credit card number, and coupon/promo codes.

• A data driven service I use regularly is the ESPN app to look up stats of specific NFL players. Those stats could be easily exported into an excel spreadsheet and examples of information that could go into columns, would be player’s name, positions, and team. From there, depending on the position, it could be tackles, sacks, receptions, rushing yards, touchdowns, and passing yards.

• I use the ESPN fantasy app on a regular basis especially during the NFL season. There i can see a various amount of stats from selected players on my “Fantasy team”. There I could categorize each player into columns and then separate their production into rows. Production gives my team points, and classified production is such things as TDs, receptions, interceptions, rushing yards and much more.

• I use Amazon all the time to purchase everything from textbooks to shoes. A column could be an item, say a pair of shoes. There could even be multiple columns for each style–like a separate column for the same brand for sandals and one for sneakers. The rows could include styles, different vendors selling the same product, price, shipping options and reviews of the vendor selling the items.

• Rate My Professor serves as a great example for the weekly discusion. If rendered in a database the colums would inlcude, professor first/last name, location, school, would take again rating, level of difficulty, hotness. The user information would be stored in a db as the userid of who made the commment and their exitisting comments and ratings on the site.

• A data-driven source that I use regularly is the bleacher report app. Similar to other sports apps, it compiles all stats and advanced analytical stats, especially basketball. Each row would represent each respective player in whatever league a consumer is looking for. Each column would represent each statistic – points/rebounds/assists/steals per game, win shares, player efficiency rating, etc.

• A database that I use frequently is the online library catalogue. If I were to create a spreadsheet to compile the data, the columns would contain information on the book/CD/DVD titles, author name, locations item is found (i,e,. which library or if it checked out), and brief description of item. The rows would include individual review of the items.

• A data driven service that I used regularly is is WordPress. If I were to measure the post/articles in a spreadsheet, I would record the post date, time, title of article, category of topic, likes, comment and then I would have a rating for each of the articles for a personalized measurement(1-3). In the row I would have the user name this will allow me to see who is providing content on a consistent basis, who the market responds and what frequency produces what type of results.

• A data-driven service I use regularly is Uber. If data from the Uber were to be stored in a spread sheet, each row would represent the user’s name of ID. The columns then can display information on the trips the user has made, such as pick-up location and location, type of ride (UberX, UberPool, etc.), price, time, driver, car brand, etc.

• A data driven service that I use regularly is Google Maps. If I were to store the data into a spreadsheet, the rows would represent each person that uses Google Maps. The columns would be most visited places, their top rated places, lowest rated places, where they spend the longest amount of time, usage of the app (bike, public transit, car, or walking), and their preference of route options.

• A data driven source that I use regularly would be Facebook. Using Facebook analytics you could collect data into a spreadsheet. For example you could create a database that includes post performance throughout the year. The Rows would be separated by month while the columns will include information such as : Post reach, Engagements, Shares, Likes and Views. This information could be easily organized into a spreadsheet to compare how Facebook posts have performed every month.

• A data driven source I use regularly is Forever 21 credit card collection. I work at Forever 21 and we have weekly goal for signing people up for a credit card. To store data into a spreadsheet, the rows would be the names of the cardholders, and the columns would include: their credit limit, their monthly bill due date, the date they signed up, their address, telephone number, and email.

• A data-driven service I use regularly would be Amazon. Amazon is a great example of a data-driven service. If my personal amazon data was put into a spreadsheet, it would not look too complicated. The columns would display the different products that I have ordered from the website. ( itemid, order date, type of item, lastname, first name and full shipping address).Also, the total price I paid for the products (including shipping/handling fees) would be listed in the rows below. For example, if I ordered a a textbook or phone accessories, the column would show Phone Charger, case and screen protector and the price would be around $10.00 – $15.00.would be listed in a row directly below

• A data-driven service I use is online banking. Each column would be different accounts, and each row would represent detailed account information, such as account number, current balance, credit line, credit available, transaction history, and the information about each transaction, like transaction amount, posting date, description, transaction type, transaction status, and so on.

• A data-driven service I use daily is Snapchat. If I wanted to store my usage data on a spreadsheet, the columns would could be name of the person who I sent a snap to, whether it was a picture or video, time, date, and whether or not there was a geotag added on the picture. The rows would then be the detailed information for each category. The spreadsheet would be a daily chronological log of all of the snapchats I’ve sent.

• A data-driven service that I use daily is Twitter. If the data from this service was transformed into a spreadsheet, it would be a representation of my Twitter activity and interactions. A row would be an individual tweet, and some columns would include the send date, the send time, how many imprints the tweet had, how many people liked it, how many people retweeted it, and how many people responded to it.

• A data-driven service I usually use irregularly is Amazon.com. If I store the data for the service in a spreadsheet, each row will represent an order. Columns will be order ID, item, categoryID, date, customerID, date/time, number of items, price, total price, payment method, coupon(Yes/NO), shipping method, is the customer a member of Amazon (i.e. Amazon Prime)

• A service i use constantly is go-puff. Each row would represent the individual customers that use the app. The columns would include name, location, items purchased, date, credit card information, and total price of cart at checkout.

• A data-driven service I usually use is the New Yorker. If the data from the activity on this site were represented in a spreadsheet, the columns would be: name of user,
    date, (when you started on a page and when you leave) duration on page, articles visited, advertisements visited. This would help the New Yorker better cater content for each individual user.

• A data driven service I usually use is blackboard. I guess the best way to summarize the spreadsheet in this case would be by assorting the columns into classes and then the rows into material for each respective class. This could include grades, updates, and assignments. The only thing difficult about this would be the vast amount of variety in the classes. Also submissions would be tough as well. However, it is definitely do-able.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly would be Amazon.com to purchase all types of items. Each row in the spreadsheet would represent a different customer order. Some of the data columns would be the order number, the date the order was placed, the total of the order, the name of the person ordering the item, the address where the order is being shipped, the name of the item, the number of items, the payment method and the estimated delivery date.

• A data-drvien site that I use often is Amazon.com, if I were to set it up for a spreadsheet. Then the rows would include the customer and their order while the column would contain, the data on that product; the address it is being shipped, payment information, number order, shipping method, and extra promo codes if it is included in the order.

• A data driven service that I use is Aamazon. In Excel each column would be a category related to the order which would include data such as a unique identifier like “OrderID”, and then supplementary data such as “Price”, “Quantity”, “Order Total”, “CustomerName” and so on. Each row would fill in this necessary data.

• The data-driven service I usually use is Youtube. The data collected from youtube could be used in a spreadsheet.
    The row could be the channel name;
    the columns could be:
    1. amount of people subscribed to the channel
    2. number of likes and dislikes videos on the channel received
    3. number of comments.

• The most common data-driven source I use is Amazon. Some of the columns in a spreadsheet for this could be star rating, Number of items bought, Number of Items returned, Average number os days in shipping, number of positive reviews, and number of negative reviews.

• Snapchat is a data-driven service most people use daily. If I were to collect the data then some columns I would include would be the type of message, whether it was a picture, video, or chat message, who sent the message, who received the message, and the time and date it was sent, received, and opened. Additional rows would be an individual’s snapchat username, email, snap-scores, and if applicable the users date of birth. Where as the rows would be each individual snapchat account.

• A data-driven source I use is the NFL Mobile app that records player and team statistics. If I were to move this data to a worksheet, the columns would include catches, touchdowns, yards, interceptions, sacks, tackles, etc.. Each worksheet can contain a different position with the applicable stats. For example, a quarterback wouldn’t have catches, but they would have attempts, competitions, yards, interceptions, etc. Each row would be a different player or team. The worksheet would display how well or poor the player is doing during the season.

• A data driven service that I use frequently is Mind Body; Mind Body is the system that is used at the climbing gym that I work at. If you were to pull the data from the service and insert it into a spreadsheet the rows contain the clients name. Some columns that would included would number of customer visits, member/nonmember, status of client (active or archived), and number of purchases.

• On Amazon, the data on what I purchased could easily be used and recorded within a spreadsheet. The rows would be the individual purchases I made with the columns representing the name of the object purchased, the amount purchased, the price of each individual object, the total price, when the object was purchased, the shipping address, and the number of days it took to reach said address.

• A data driven service I use frequently is Netflix. The rows would be the shows and movies I watch while the columns may be number of seasons watched (if a tv show), number of minutes spent watching the tv show or movie, how long I browsed before choosing that tv show or movie, whether or not I have watched the tv show or movie before, the way I watch (laptop/smart tv/cellphone).

• A data-driven service I use regularly is my mobile banking app to keep track of my budget and spending habits. In a spreadsheet, each row would be a single transaction. The columns would be details about each transaction like type of transaction (withdraw, deposit, transfer, purchase) date/time, amount, and balance after transaction. Purchases would have additional information like physical location, name of store/restaurant/online/etc., and type of purchase (food, transportation, services, etc.)

• Snapchat is a service I use regularly that is very data driven. There are a multitude of data types that could come from Snapchat. There would be location, snapchats sent, sender, receiver, time sent, camera used, times viewed a snapchat story, times a snapchat story has been viewed, and amount of snaphcat articles read. Snapchat has a multitude of ways to store data, and that is why they are a thriving tech giant.

• A data driven service I use, mainly in the fall, is the NFL Fantasy Football app. I keep up with the stats of my fantasy team and I can see if I need to substitute any of my players I have in. It also lets you know what average points your player is expected to contribute that week.

• A data driven service that I use is Apple Music. There are many types of data in iTunes such as song name, artist, album, and number of plays for each song. You are able to view all of the properties of each song to find all of this data.

• A data-driven service that i use is Yahoo Finance. It stores the stocks price, %change in price, bet/ ask price, and etc. You will be able to view a history of a stock from the day of IPO, as well as currency of other countries.

• I use apple music every day. It analyzes the music in ones library and predicts and suggests new music that may be enjoyed. This info is or would likely be organized by Artists, Genre, song length, BPM or other auditory categorizers.

• I use Lyft, a data-driven ride sharing service multiple times a week to get around Philadelphia. If we were to put this data on a spreadsheet, the rows would represent individual customers, and some of the columns would represent the number of rides completed, rides cancelled, average grade of ride (Lyft uses a 1-5 star scale), and average ride distance.