Section 003, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 27, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 27, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

56 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 27, 2016

• One KPI that I use on a regular basis is my pay stub. Pay stubs are specific and measurable because the gross pay is exactly total number of hours worked over the two week period multiplied by pay per hour. It is achievable because the more I work the more I get paid, it is relevant because how much I get paid impacts how much I can spend, and it is time-variant because I can compare past pay stubs over any time period (weeks, months, years).

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is miles per minute when I go for runs. Its specific and measurable – miles per minute is tracked through the GPS in my phone. Its achievable – I can change my pace to bring my miles per minute down. Its relevant – I go on runs everyday. Its time variant – I can look at my miles per minute every week to see if I’m improving.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is how I allocate my time getting ready to go to my first class of the day. It is specific and measurable. The time getting dressed and eating breakfast are precise measures. It is achievable because I can change how quickly I can get dressed and eat before leaving. It is relevant because the time I use in the morning will determine whether I will be on time or late to class. It is time variant because I can look at how much time I consume to get ready for classes.

• An example of a KPI I use on a regular basis is my paycheck. This is specific and measurable as it tells me how much I earn during a particular period of time. It is achievable as I can choose to work more or less hours to get a lower or better pay. It is relevant in the sense that it determines how much money I allocate to my expenses and savings. Lastly, it is time-variant because I can compare how much I earn bi-weekly when I work more hours to how much I earn when I work less hours.

• An example of KPI I use on a regular basis is GPA. It is specific and measurable because it is measurement of personal academic behavior. I can work harder to achieve higher GPA. It is relevant because it is a very important part of personal resume. And it is time-phased because it is updated after every semester.

• An example of a KPI I use on a regular basis is the amount of work I do based on the amount of time I record it within. This way, time efficiency is a specific variable that has shown to help me succeed and become more well organized. I’ve found that by organizing my time, I became more certain about how much work I actually needed to do before doing it. The fact that this is based on a time frame itself works well with the SMART criteria.

• In other words, amount of work over time is specifically one of the KPIs that allow me to succeed. It’s measurable as a rate. It’s attainable through better time and sleep management when I am not busy. It’s relevant to me because it’s used for both my personal life and my work flow. Since it is measured through time already, it completes theSMART criteria.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is GPA. GPA is specific and measurable because it is an indicator of how well I do school based on class grades. It is achievable because I can work/study harder for a better GPA. It is relevant because jobs and graduate schools look at GPA when considering whether or not to accept you. GPA is also time-bound because it depicts how well you did each semester.

• A KPI which conforms to the SMART requirements that I regularly use is how I allocate my meals. In order to make sure that I have enough to last me until the end of the semester, I can only use a specific amount per week. It is measured by how many I use per week, and I set an achievable amount. It is relevant since it directly involves something that I have to deal with a daily basis. It is time-oriented since I have a certain amount I can use each week.

• A KPI I use regularly is my steps per day in the activity app on my iPhone. It is measurable because I aim to complete 10,000 steps per day and it counts my steps as I go. It is relevant because I like to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I like to walk at least 3 miles a day. It is time-oriented because I need to complete the steps at the end of each day.

• A KPI that I use regularly is my daily banking activity/statement. It is extremely specific and measureable because it allows me to track the amount of money that I am spending on specific things as well as see how much money I have in that bank account. It is achievable because I can alter and change my spending habits to reduce my overall spending and save more money. It’s significantly relevant because I spend money almost everyday whether it be for traveling (gas) or food. It is time-oriented in the way that I am able to view multiple statements over the course of the month to be able to view my spending and then I am able to budget according.

• The KPI that I use the most is the grade tracker on Blackboard. Its purpose is to measure how well I am doing in my classes. My grades are specific and measurable because they quantify my academic performance as a percentage. They are achievable because I can put in more effort to my classes to improve them as needed. They are relevant to my success because I need good grades to graduate, earn scholarships, get into graduate school, etc. They are time-oriented because I only have until the end of the semester to improve them.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the battery on my laptop. The battery is measurable because it usually has a specific icon on the home screen, that can indicate when and how much time I have left until it runs out of power either in hours x min or percentage. The battery is specific and relevant because it is needed on a day to day basis to do school work, with a laptop comes portability but it can only lasts x amount of hours before being able to recharge it and continue for further use. It is achievable because I can alter my use of the laptop, save the battery for later, or recharge it fully before using with an access of a wall charger.

• One KPI that I use on a regular basis is the Health app on my IPhone. I check this everyday to measure the amount of steps that I take. For instance if I do not hit my marker in steps I will go for a run so I do so. This KPI allows me to keep a “healthier life style”. It also allows me to track when I am most active during the day, helping me to be more active or take more steps during the time it says I am the least active. Although, I have had to decrease my steps because I am on crutches. While my ankle has been broken I have used the mileage tracker as a KPI to make sure I crutch a certain distance each day.

• The KPI I use on a regular basis is timely arrivals of SEPTA trains. I know what I’m looking for (specific) and what time the train should be there (measurable). SEPTA can arrive at the stated times because it has to think things through when it makes schedules (achievable). My time is valuable to me (relevant), and I can check it every week/month (time phased).

• One example of a KPI is the amount of steps I take each week from my Fitbit. It records every step I take each day and keeps a record of them for months. It’s specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time variant.

• One example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is meters per minute when I’m on the rowing machine. It tells me how many strokes per minute, how many meters I rowed per minute, how many calories I burned per minute and how many watts I am using per minute. The rowing machines is specific and measurable in the sense of how it tracks meters. It’s achievable because it lets me know where I am but also where I need to be to get quicker. It’s relevant because if I want to get better at crew I’ll have to get faster on the machine and it’s time oriented because it lets me know when we take tests for crew where my times will be on the machine.

• The KPI that i use in my everyday life is online banking records of my account through a mobile app of the particular bank that I use currently. By using this app I am able to look over both of debit and credit card statement. I can use specific function of this app which are really useful. it is measurable because I am able to track every single purchase that I made everyday, and the account balance every time I spend some money. It is achievable, sometimes I don’t realize that where the money that I spent and the money does really quick, especially for the credit card. And I am able to control my spending habits and manage well my account. In addition, it is relevant, because all the money that I spent use my bank account are all related to me. The product purchased for myself, any bill payments regarding my usage, etc. Finally, it is time consuming, because it is necessary for me to summarize overall spending for a specific time period, and I need to accumulate those expense throughout a period of time, such as weekly, monthly, or quarterly.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is the amount of tips I earn at work, which is measured through our POS system. It is relevant because the amount of tips I earn dictates my budgeting for the next week. When looking at my report at the end of the night I can see what percentage of my overall earnings were cash tips and what percentage was on credit cards. I believe it to be time bound for the mere fact that the POS only measures the amount I made within the length of that shift. Aside from calculating my tips from the night it also calculates my food and bar sales.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is my fitness tracker. It is specific in the sense that it shows me various ways that I am active throughout the day. It is measurable because it counts the steps I take day by day. It is achievable because it lets you set how many steps you want to obtain everyday. It is relevant because I am very into fitness and like to know how many steps I take, the calories I burn, my heart rate, and of course what time it is. Lastly, it is time-relevant because it is track-able.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is my amount of water intake everyday. It is specific because it shows whether or not I’m getting enough water to replenish the lost water in my body. It is measurable because I can measure the amount of water by using metrics such as liters or cups of water. It is achievable because I have to drink some water to stay alive. It is relevant because I work out often to I need water to replenish myself. It is time-relevant because I choose the duration of a day as my time.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is my phone battery. My Iphone’s battery measurable in that it shows me a specific percentage left on my phone. It is achievable in that I can alter how much I’m on my phone if I know I’ll need more battery later, I can also alter it by charging the phone. It’ relevant because I need my phone alive and this measure allows me to keep track of when and how long till it dies. It’s time phased in that it allows me to estimate how much time left until the phone dies in that day.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the MyFitnessPal app. It is specific and measurable because it shows my calorie intake, grams of fat intake, sodium intake, etc. It is actionable because I am able to adjust my eating habits based on the data that the app keeps track of. It is relevant because I am trying to lose weight and eat healthy. It is time-variant because it allocated a certain amount of calories, fat, sodium etc that I can consume if I want to reach my goals.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is calories burned. I can measure how many calories I burn by running on the treadmill. It is specific and measurable because it shows the exact number of calories I’ve burned. It is achievable because I can change how long I run each day to alter how many calories I burn each day. It is relevant because it helps me track how many calories I burn versus how many I take in, which can help me when I am trying to lose weight. It is time-variant because I can look at calories burned over seconds, minutes, or hours.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is my online bank statements. This is specific and measurable considering it’s a number which I can use to calculate my average daily spending and ultimately use for budget control. It is a precise measure. It is achievable because I can alter my spending to save more money. It’s relevant because I spend money everyday, and it’s time-variant because I can track it all the way back to when I opened my account.

• One KPI that I see used all the time and that I personally use on a regular basis is my GPA. My GPA is specific and measurable due to the fact that it indicates how well I have done in college based on the final grades that I have received in the courses that I have taken here at Temple. A GPA is an achievable KPI because receiving a 4.0 is not impossible, and increasing studious activities will improve GPA. My GPA is relevant because, and I hear this ALL the time, the first thing a recruiter will look at on your resume is your GPA. Let’s face it, I am in college because I want to get a good job. The better I do in school, the higher my GPA will be, and when I am applying for jobs and handing resumes out, having a higher GPA is relevant to making myself available to as many job opportunities as possible. Finally, GPA is time-bound because it reflects how well I have done over the course of a specific semester (for semester GPA) and also over the course of my college career (for cumulative GPA).

• A KPI that I use regularly is my laptop battery. It’s specific and measurable because it show’s the percentage of battery life remaining and how much time that percentage converts to. It’s attainable through my action of either charging the battery or letting the battery rest from charging, or whether or not there is an outlet near me. It’s relevant because I use my laptop every day to do things. And it’s time attainable because I can track how much time is left of battery.

• A Kpi I use daily is usage of my cell phone data. I keep track of how much data I use in a day so I do not go over the limit in a month. I make sure to only use the internet in wi fi areas or limited my internet usage when I am not. Knowing how much data I use in a day can benefit me at the end of the month. Because if I go over my limit, I would have to very careful using my cell phone.

• A KPI that I use on daily is my hourly wage. I keep track to the amount of hours that I work and multiple that number by my hourly pay, to get my pay for the day, week, or month. This gives me a great benefit because it allows me to make sure that I am being paid the correct amount.

• A KPI that I use on daily basis is my check account balance. It is connect to my debit card. It will show when I spend money, where I spend, how much I spend, and the number is very specific. This helps me by telling me how much I have left to spend.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is the battery life on my phone. It is specific and measurable, since battery percentage is a precise measure. It is achievable, since I can lower the screen brightness or close out of apps (or simply use the phone less) to use less battery. It’s relevant, because I’m extremely addicted to my phone and my phone dying would be devastating. It’s time-attainable, because as the day progresses, I can see how much battery I’ve used up.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is the time it takes me to get from school to work. It is specific and measurable because I have a clear definition of what I’m looking for and know how long it should take me to arrive at work. It is achievable because I can change my route or the time I leave. It is relevant because I don’t like wasting time in traffic and it is timely because I can track my time spent driving every time I go to work.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is my credit card statement balance. It is specific and measurable because it tells me the exact amount I owe to my credit card company. It is achievable because I can chose to spend more with my credit card or have funds refunded back. It is relevant because it shows me what I spend the most money on and such and it is timely because my credit statement is month to month.

• An example of a KPI is a calorie counting app on my Iphone called Fooducate. I use it to scan the barcode of food items and it will tell me the caloric total of that item. It follows the SMART criteria because it is specific and measurable. It is achievable and relevant because I use it when I get groceries and I can select foods based on their calories. It is also time-variant because I can use it at different stores.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is seeing how much expenses I can cut back and save on my budget. As a college student, it’s really beneficial if I am not spending as much so I can still have a sufficient budget by the end of the week and I am able to keep track of this with my PNC bank app on my phone. This KPI is specific so i am able to find out how much I am spending compared to how much I have in that week.

• A KPI i used on a daily bases is strokes per 500 meters on the rowing machine. Its specific and measurable as it is shown real time as you pull. It’s achievable because if you want to reach a standard you just to pull harder. It is time-variant as you can look at the results over time to see improvement.

• A KPI example would be my paycheck. It fits the smart format by being Specific to me, measurable to the amount of hours i worked with my hourly pay. Achievable because I can work these hours. Relevant because this money I use to pay rent and to eat. Lastly, Time-Bound because the pay is bound from once specific week.

• A KPI I use on a daily basis is my online banking account. It is specific and measurable because it shows me exactly how much is in my checking and savings account. It is achievable because I can add more money to the accounts to increase my balance. It is relevant because this is my money I work for to pay my bills and living expenses. It is also time variant because I can view my statement for days, weeks, months, or years.

• One KPI that I use on a regular basis is strokes per lap when I’m swimming. Strokes per lap is specific because it helps evaluate how efficiently I’m swimming. It’s measurable because it’s easily quantifiable, and I know how many strokes I typically take so I can easily identify when I’m over or under. It is also attainable because I know that if my strokes per lap is too high, I’m either not pulling or kicking hard enough or I need to work on my turns. It’s realistic because I know my limits and average strokes per lap – Obviously I’m not going to take 5 strokes in the entire 25 yard lap. Lastly, it is a timely measurement because it’s something I focus on in every practice.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is when I am getting ready for work or class. It is specific and measurable because I know how much time I have till I need to leave for work. It is achievable because I can fluctuate the time I use to shower and the time I have to make my coffee and drink it. It is relevant because the time I use to get ready will determine whether I will be on time or late to work. It is time variant because I can look at how much time I consume to get ready for wrok.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is recording stats in a football game. I play fantasy football so it is important to keep track of how many running yards and receiving yards each player gets so that I know which ones to add to my team and which ones to drop, this is how it is specific and measurable. It is achievable since every player can get a different amount in the game they play on Sunday. It’s a time variant because every week they get a different amount.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the app I use to see how much money I have in my bank account. It is measurable because it tracks how much I have spent over a given time period and keeps me updated on money that is coming into my account. It is relevant because it prevents me from over drafting my account and making sure I budget my money accordingly. it is also time variant as I can track what I have spent over the last few years.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a daily basis is the calories burned feature on the treadmill at the gym. It is both specific and measurable, measured in calories. It is achievable, I can burn more calories by running longer or at a faster pace. It is relevant because it effects my weight and the shape I’m in. Lastly it is time variant because I can track the amount of calories I’ve burned over the week and see if I burned more each day as the week went on.

• A KPI that you will normally see is player performance for example the eagles quarterback Carson Wentz is a rookie QB. So the NFL evaluate his performace based on passer rating. How good is his efficiency during the 1st half of a game compare to the second half. All of his statistic is tied back with other measures related to his performance and that of other rookie QB in the NFL.

• A KPI that use regularly is my GPA. It is specific and measurable in that certain letter grades are weighted certain ways, resulting in your GPA. It is achievable, I can do better in class to get a better GPA. It’s relevant because it effects people view on a person’s intelligence. It is time variant because it can change semester to semester.

• An example of a KPI that I use on daily basis would be my data usage alerts on my smartphone. Every few days I am sent a report showing how much data I have used, and how much I have remaining before the end of the next billing period. This KPI is particularly helpful to me because it allows me to stay within my data usage limits, and not receive overage charges for my data use. These cell phone carriers try and squeeze every possible cent out of their customers, so it is nice to utilize a KPI to save money.

• One KPI I use on a daily basis would be my bank statements. It is specific and measurable as it allows me to track my spending and deposits as well as see how much money I have in the bank at any given time. It is achievable because I am able to cut down my spending in order to save money. It is very relevant because I typically use money every day. It is time variant because I can see my statements over any period of time whether that be weekly, monthly, etc.

• One KPI I use on a daily basis would be my bank virtual wallet . it allows me to track my spending and income (measurable) as well as categories my spending into different categories such as groceries, utilities, etc. (specific). in addition I can see live updates on it and monthly statements (time). On the site I can set my goals for savings an categories them. It is achievable because I am able to control my money and handle it better, as well as use my saving goals and track them. It is very relevant because It helps control my personal finance and help me improve my awareness of my spending.

• An example of a KPI that I use frequently is my GPA. This is a specific measurement of my academic success that is measured by my semester, year, or collegiate career grades. When setting personal goals regarding my GPA, I usually make them semester by semester and make sure that I don’t set goals that are unlikely for me to reach. GPA is very relevant in that it is an important metric in looking for jobs to start my career.

• One KPI that I use frequently is the Starbucks app. It’s a specific measurement on how much I spend at Starbucks using gift cards. It’s achievable because I gain points and free drinks by using the app. The app is relevant because it lets me track my spending, and it is time specific variant because I can see my transactions over a period of time.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the PNC Virtual Wallet app on my phone. It is measurable because it tracks how much money I have in my account, transaction history, and when money is coming in. It is time variant because it can tell me what I have spent my money on over time

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is Blackboard. I use Blackboard for Desktop and for Mobile. It is measurable because it shows all of my classes, the weekly learning materials per class, the assignments due, the assignments I have submitted, and it shows my updated grades per class. Blackboard is definitely relevant because it shows my progress over time, as well as showing ways on how I can improve for the future.

• one KPI that I use on a regular basis is progressive app. I use it to pay the monthly amount for my car insurance. Also it is measurable because it shows how many miles I drove and how I break and the discount they will give me. It is achievable because it shows the future of my driving.

• One KPI I commonly use is the progress of my personal investment account with tradeking. This KPI of wanting to achieve close to a 10% return on invested capital conforms with the SMART criteria because the 10% amount is specific, and obviously measureable. 10% is on the high end of achievability but of course want the most money possible. Also it is time conforming because I look at it on a monthly basis and relevant because this is a common way to measure portfolio performance.

• One KPI that I commonly use is my online bank account statements. It is measurable, in that I see how much money I have to my name, as well as recent transactions and deposits. I use it to see how much money I have left to spend and helps me keep a budget.

• GPA is a KPI i use on a regular basis. This is a simple tool that the school uses to measure how well we do academically. It shows what a company or someone who may want to hire you, how well you did in school.