Section 003, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #11: Complete by December 1, 2016

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on December 1, 2016. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

56 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by December 1, 2016

• One of the most important takeaways from this course was the exposure to Tableau. Prior to taking this course I was comfortable using Excel but had never used Tableau. Using Tableau and creating data visualizations gave me an intro to the software but also improved my Excel skills. I would say this course is about understanding how data is collected, analyzed and interpreted from data sets, to data visualizations, to info-graphics.

• An important takeaway from this course was the realization that data is everywhere. Whether we notice it or not, we live in a world full of data and there is no way to avoid it. There are various tools to collect and analyze data such as Tableau and it helps us understand the small and big aspects of data itself. All in all, this course was all about understanding data and how it can assist anyone at any time and any place.

• One of the most important and useful takeaways that I will take from this course will be the familiarization with Excel and Tableau. During this semester I had to take an online excel course, and having learned so much in this class already it helped me so much in that class. Also not to mention the fact that Excel is useful not just in the classroom but in everyday life just makes it even better. Tableau is something that I can put on my resume that I am familiar with it and can use it during projects in other classes to put my group a step ahead.

• Taking this course has made me realize how ubiquitous data is. Also, it has taught me to be more careful when performing tasks that involve handling data whether big or small. Another thing which was beneficial was getting exposure to the Tableau software. This software is very efficient for data visualization and I would be referring to it in the future.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how to turn data into information and how to visualize the data. The high amount of data that we have today means that we have to find a way to convey it to other people. This course provides me with the skill sets needed to successfully create visually pleasing graphics that can convey important information from data.

• One of the most important takeaways from this course was the realization of the importance of data management. I didn’t realize the magnitude that business professionals use data in decision making, and tools like excel and Tableau are vital to help sort through this data. I think the exposure we received in this class will give us a competitive edge when we are in the business world because we will have a basic background in data management.

• One important takeaway from this course is how to analyze data and how to interpret data. You can put data into programs such as Tableau or Excel and get results back from them. There are various ways to understand the data that you are reading and there are various ways to show someone else who may not understand the data in a way that it “clicks” with them. If I had to explain to a future taker of Data Science, I would have to say that taking this class will very well prepare them for future courses and a career. The programs they use will further expand their knowledge and can give them a competitive edge that others who don’t take the course won’t have.

• Data is everywhere, even though it’s not always obvious. With the right tools, such as data visualization software, interpreting data takes less time and becomes more useful. MIS0855 teaches data manipulation, in a good sense of the word, in Excel and data visualization in Tableau, both skills highly sought after by employers.

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway from this class is how useful Tableau is. Tableau can be utilized in so many ways to visualize and interpret data and can be a very good thing to have on your resume. I recently went to an SPO meeting where the speakers talked about how they used Tableau in their jobs on how important of a tool it was. If I had to explain this course to a future student, I would say it is a class where you learn about the importance of data and how to utilize and visualize it; also, data is everywhere.

• MIS0855 introduced me to the endless applications of data. Information is power, so the ability to translate massive amounts of data into useful information is essential to business, academia, government, etc. I would tell a future MIS0855 student that the course covers the immense applications of big data and introduces some data analysis and visualization tools.

• The most important “takeaway” for me is how to use Tableau. I am pretty good at using Excel and Access but never used Tableau before. I found that Tableau is very easy to learn and use. Tableau is really a very good tool and I like it. I also learnt many concepts and definitions about Data but I feel like some of them are not very important for a non-MIS major student like me. Over all, I really enjoy this class and I surely would recommend MIS0855 to my friends.

• MIS0855 was a very different course from previous courses I have taken at Temple. As a Criminal Justice Major much of the information I have received in this class was very new. For me the most important takeaway would have to be the knowledge gained in using Tableau because I think it is something that will further benefit me in my future.

• If I had to explain this course to a future MIS 0855 scholar, I would say that it is a great class that teaches you the importance of data. Data is everywhere, and sometimes it can be hard to figure what to do with it. Thats where this class comes in handy, this class teaches you different ways to manage data from Excel (organizing and describing data) to Tableau (putting data together and visualizing it).

• I’d say the most important takeaway from this course has to be the skills developed to spot bad data. Data inconsistencies can have severe consequences, and in a world full of people dependent on their phones and computers, the risks are amplified. Similarly, inconsistencies in data left unchecked would mark down points on an assignment. What makes this class interesting is its use of real world data and software such as Tableau.

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway from this course was the experience with Excel and Tableau, which I would not have gotten otherwise. If I had to explain to a future MIS0855 student what this course is about, I would tell them it is about using tools to analyze and draw meaning from large data sets. It is also about learning how to classify data using new terms from the course.

• I think one of the most important takeaways from this class is cleaning data and analyzing it through Tableau. If I had to explain this course to a future scholar I would tell them it is about learning how data is important and the best ways to analyze it to make important business decisions. All businesses deal with big data these days and this course helps you manage it and learn to analyze it.

• My most important takeaway from this course has been learning to use Tableau. I also took Fox’s Excel for Business Applications course this semester so I became very familiar with excel between these two courses as well. If i had to explain this course to a future MIS0855 student I’d tell them the course is about understanding, using, and analyzing data.

• The most important thing I learned from this class was the importance of data. Whether it is separating clean data from dirty data or using programs like Tableau to visualize data, I learned that data will be an increasingly important part of our lives as the world is quickly transitioning to a digital only age.

• The most important thing I have learned from this class is how to use tableau. Before this class, I had never even heard of tableau and now I feel comfortable using it. I am happy that I got to know how to use a program like this because it is clearly really important in the real world, as mentioned by the guest speaker. If i were to explain this course to a future MIS0855 student, I would tell them that this course may seem really boring and confusing, but once you get into it you will learn so much that will benefit you in the future.

• I would definitely say the most important takeaway from this course was our work with Tableau. Tableau is an incredibly unique platform that although at first difficult to understand can be used for data analysis in many different aspects of your life. In addition, this incredible tool is a very important feature you can add to your resume that will make you much more appealing to companies when applying for an internship or job. Your skills in Tableau alone could make or break whether you are an asset to a company or not. To summarize this course to another student, I would say that you learn how to properly and usefully analyze data using different platforms and it will prepare you to have unique skills when you’re applying for the workforce.

• If I had to choose, the most important takeaway I got from this course is that data is everywhere. Something that may seem simple can hold a multiplicity of information that can be organized and used to someone’s advantage. This course is about the importance of data, data types, the importance of cleaning data, and how it can be implemented to further one’s ideas.

• The most important takeaway that I have from this course would be the importance of cleaning data. I would say cleaning data is most important because as we used tableau you were able to see how much dirty data can alter your visualizations and data sets in general. Also for some reason the company that bought unwanted assets because of hidden excel rows/columns really stuck out to me. if I had to explain what this course about to a future scholar I would say it is about taking data (analyzing data) from a source and putting it into visualizations so that it is easier to understand the data.

• The most important takeaway from this MIS course is the fact that data is everywhere and that it can be utilized in many ways to understand trends and make predictions on those trends which leads to success in some way or another. Also, the standard use of excel and tableau have been extremely influential to us as students because these are applications that are used in the market today to analyze data. We’re given the ability to work hand in hand with these applications to produce quality data visualizations to better analyze and show data. It’s important to also understand that as data is everywhere, that is raw data and using the tools we learned in class, we are able to organize and understand the data to see trends happening or if there connections between two different sets of data. Overall, data can be found everywhere but without fully utilizing the tools to analyze data, the raw data isn’t as beneficial whereas analyzing data with proper tools can prove to be extremely significant.

• I would say the most important takeaway had to do with tableau. At first I did not understand what tableau was and now I can use it efficiently. Also learning how to clean data was important and something I can now use for the rest of my life. MIS 0855 teaches the applications of big data and introduces some data analysis and visualization tools.

• One of the most important takeaways for me was that data truly is everywhere, and it’s SO useful to know how to interpret and organize it. As a communications student, I wasn’t really sure how this course would apply to what I want to do in Public Relations, but I actually was able to use the skills I learned working with Excel in class for a project at my internship which was really cool.

• I would say the most important takeaway that I got from this class was the rise and importance of data analytics. Data is everywhere and it can tell us so much about things we never knew before. The skills I learned from Tableau will also benefit me in the future.

• In my opinion, the most important takeaway from this course is how important it is to collect and analyze data. In addition, it is crucial to implement visualizations for the data, so people can understand the “story” of the data and what it is trying to convey. If I had to explain to a future scholar what this course was about I would say, “It is all about learning to think critically when analyzing data sets. It is applicable to all majors because data is seen in one form or another on a daily basis.”
    I would recommend this course to the scholar.

• The most important takeaway in my experience from this course was becoming more aware of data and that data is everywhere. Along with the interactive tools that we learned in the classroom to sort, organize and eventually interpret the data to make it more useful. It is not hard to see how easily it is to apply it to the world we live in today, and the future. Also with the help of learning Tableau and how to integrate Excel files into Tableau was a hands on skill that will be very useful for the future.

• I would say my biggest takeaway from this class was the Excel and Tableau experience. If you are taking this course, and especially if you are in the business school, there is a high likelihood of you using Microsoft Excel in your career. This experience with Excel and the exposure to Excel’s capabilities might very well be essential in your future’s success. To multiply that importance, Tableau allows us to manipulate data in ways Excel cannot, and that will make you a very useful person to any business that you pursue in this day and age. I interned at a place this Summer and used Excel extensively, so I know that next time around when I am interning somewhere and using Excel, I will be more prepared. And not only that, in the interviewing process, I might even drop the fact that I have Tableau experience, which might perk up the ears of many recruiters. To answer the second question briefly, to be honest, I would tell people that this class is about data and every facet of that word.

• The biggest takeaway from this course was learning how to use Excel and Tableau. If I was to explain this course to students, I would emphasize the real world practicality of the information talked about in class. I would also mention the future value in having a basic understand of excel and tableau, especially for a student interested in business. I know that the information I learned in this course is extremely valuable for anyone pursing a career in business.

• My most important take away from this course was the use of tableau which I did not know previously existed. Tableau is able to produce a wide variety of graphs which can be used to visually display data. I would say this course teaches you about different types of data collection and analysis techniques. Ways to interpret and present the data are also taught throughout this course.

• I believe the most important thing that I learn in MIS 0855 was tableau. I think that tableau will help me analyze data better in the future. If I had to explain to a future student what MIS 0855 was about; I would say that this course exposures students to helpful ways to analyze data.

• I think the most important thing that I learn in MIS 0855 was manage data. I feel like data is very important in our life and work, it include every details and we can use data to predict future. As a business student, I realize that data is increasingly important for every company.

• I believe the most important take away from this course is that, I improved a lot on using Excel throughout the semester, and get to understand that how effectively put tons of data to an understandable visualization using Tableau. I’ve understand more deeply towards diversified types of data could be everywhere in oour daily life. And for this course I would say it is about a couse that enlarge your horizon with regard to analyzing data, visualizing data, and utilizing data.

• The most important take away from this course was how to use Tableau and Excel to present and analyze data. If I had to explain what this course was about I would say it’s mainly about data in today’s society and how it is used and the many different aspects of data. The course is also about how to analyze and present that data appropriately and how important that is,

• The thing that this class helped me alot with is Tableau. One of the programs that will help me with showing and clear data. also the class made me capable of using Excel more offecent. Also the class clarified what is data and what is good data and what is not.

• I think the most important takeaway from this course is learning the basics of what Data Science really is. I believe that most students, like myself before this class, are not clear about what this major really is. In this class, you learn about Tableau and all different types of data and what to do with it. It showed you all the data that is in this world and all the possibilities that can come with it.

• The most important takeaway from this course was understanding what data is and how it can be used in our everyday lives and in the workplace. If I had to explain what the course was about I would say, it’s about beginning to learn how you can utilize data through the use of programs such as excel and Tableau.

• The most important takeaway from this course is that I realized how much data is around me and how much we rely on data. I was able to understand specifically what data is and how it is used everyday by everyone in different ways. Even though I had used in Excel many times growing up, I never the extend of what it can do in terms of data management.

• I believe the biggest take away from this course is learning how to analyze data through sources like Tableau and excel. Exposure to these programs not only informed me about the importance of collecting data, but even simply be informed about the software that will be used at all entry level jobs.

• My biggest takeaway from MIS will be the vast array of subjects that can be quantified and analyzed. MIS allows you the opportunity to gather information on all these subjects, organize it, and analyze. It introduces you to software you will in all likelihood need in your professional career. Becoming adept at using these tools will do nothing but benefit you and your career.

• The biggest takeaway was the infographic design principles because it helps identify good and bad infographics not only for our own use but for analyzing other’s who are utilizing an infographic for their own purposes as well.

• One of the most important takeaways from this course was the realization that data can be found everywhere. I always know that data is out there but alway thought about it as spreadsheets and numbers. The class provided me with the tools to collect and analyze it in a way that will help me become a more knowledgeable person.

• The most important take away from this class was getting some experience and exposure to Tableau. It was a really useful tool for the data analytics challenge and it was cool to be able visualize data so easily. This course is about learning how data is used and integrated in the world around us. It also teaches you about Tableau, which is a useful software to know regardless of what field of study you’re in.

• The biggest takeaway from this course to me is that data is everywhere and can be utilized is so many different ways. Also, there is bad data out there and you have to know how to identify this. I would say this course is about data and computer software. You learn how to interpret data, how to utilize data, how to show data, how to clean data, and many other things. Also, you learn how to use different computer software such as tableau and excel.

• The biggest takeaway from this course for me was that data can be found in place that you would never expect. This can be anywhere from a clock, to the number of people entering alter hall at any given time. Information can be drawn from this data, and can be turned into knowledge

• What I enjoyed most about this course was gaining exposure to more data-driven areas. It was interesting to see how powerful and important data is in all aspects of business. I also enjoyed getting experience with Tableau because I always enjoy learning new programs.

• If I had to explain this course to a future student , my thoughts on the course will be that the professor is a good one, the work in this course isn’t easy it take time and effort. But you will gain extra knowledge about programs and software that you will need to excel in the course. Overall the course isn’t something everybody is good at so asking for help is one thing you will need to be good at.

• One takeaway is the complexity of data. At the core of every concept is the complexity of date, thus we need to think critically about our data consumption. I would tell a future student that this course is about understanding the complexity of data and presenting quality information.

• The biggest takeaway from this course, in my opinion, is the realization of how prevalent and important big data has become. I came to learn that big data was able to be manipulated in order to find solutions to basically any problem. I also realized that big data analytics is important and applicable to any field which is something that with be very valuable to me in the near future.

• One of the most important takeaways from this class would be the understanding of how data science applies to certain jobs and careers. For example, having Maurice Whetstone explain the benefit of utilizing tableau in a company such as QVC, it really provides understanding of just how important data science is today. Any student will gain a wide variety of knowledge after taking this course, in incredibly lucrative emerging field in the modern-day workforce.

• I would say the most important takeaway of this course is to be analytical. This course requires you to pay attention to data and make interpretations. I think that working on some of the assignments definitely helped me pay attention to things a lot more. It is not easy to be data-driven, but with focus, it will definitely help in your other classes as well.

• The most important takeaway for me was all the information about data and Tableau. I never looked at data in the way we have in this class before. Data truly is everywhere and there are many types of it and different ways to use it. Tableau was great to get into because a lot of companies use it. Besides Maurice Whetstone verifying this, my own mother says she uses it in her job.

• From my perspective, the most important takeaway from this course was the realization that data is everywhere and how it plays a critical role for companies in how it is used and applied. Alongside that thought, it is also important to know how data can me manipulated and the importance of small errors and the effects it can have on large data sets as a whole. Also, the fact that data efficiency is growing and if one realizes it or not, the fact that data effects everyone from the smallest amount of information such as data collected through apps to the data that is collected for the use of big companies.

• My take away from this course was how important it is to have slight knowledge of data. Because we have so much data now and it is only going to continue to grow. Having knowledge of how to understand and clean data is going to benefit everyone at some point in their lives because at some point we will all work with data.

• The most important takeaway for me was definitely the ability to use tableau and excel. And then just pure knowledge wise i would say the most important is definitely just knowing that data is in everything.