Section 003, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 26

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 26. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

51 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 26

• My example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is the number of emails I receive every day. This is specific and measurable because it is an exact number of emails and I use my email a lot every day. It is also achievable because I can turn on my notifications to tell me when I get an email, so I can check it frequently throughout the day. Plus, it is relevant because I need to always check my email to make sure I do not miss anything important. Lastly, it is time-phased, or time-variant, because the time frame is that I check my email daily.

• One example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is the number of miles I ride my bicycle and the average speed. This is specific and measurable because it tracks the exact number of miles I ride, and the exact average speed of my ride. It is achievable because I can set a goal of how fast and how far I want to go on my ride. It is relevant to me because it keeps me in shape, and tracks my mileage, speed, and calories burned. Finally, it is time variant because I can look at my mileage, average speed, and calories burned for a day, or over a week or a month.

• An example of a KPI I often use is the sales for my department. This is specific and measurable because it tells me exactly how much money my department has made.
    This is achievable because I can set and meet sales goals.
    This is relevant because the sales are directly linked to the success of the store.
    This is time-phased because I can see the results on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.

• An example of a KPI I use is my time spent commuting to Temple. It is specific and measurable as I can track the time from when I leave my house to the time I arrive at Temple. It is achievable as I can alter my driving route depending on traffic and the time of day in order to reduce the time; and I can also set a time goal for myself each day. It is relevant as I commute each day of the week to Temple, so the time adds up in the long run. Finally, it is time-variant as I can log my commute times each day and compare different travel route’s times.

• An example of a KPI that I use the number of miles I walk everyday around campus. This is specific and measurable, miles is a precise measure for distance. It is achievable, I can change my routes around campus. It is relevant, the more I walk the better it is on my health. It is also time-variant. I can look at my miles, over a week, day, or month.

• An example of an KPI that I use is my phones battery life. It is specific and measurable because on the top right of my screen my phone tells me the percent at which my phone is at. It is achievable because I can use my phone in different ways and a different amounts of time. It is relevant because I need my phone to stay in contact, if I see the battery percentage is low then I can put my phone on the charger. The battery percentage on my phone keep my phone from dying. It is time-phased/variant because I check my phone hourly.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is the calorie and distance tracker on the treadmill. This is specific and measurable because miles ran and calories burned are both precise measures. It is achievable because I can set a goal of a certain number of miles I want to run or calories I hope to burn and alter my pace to reach those goals. It is relevant because it is how I stay in shape and improve my health. And lastly it is variant because I can look at miles run or calories burned each time I exercise.

• One example of KPI that I can use is the number of assignment I manage to complete in 2 hours. It is specific and measurable as I have to count how many assignments I can finished from the available assignments for me. It is achievable as I would record my daily assignment complete in 2 hours. It is relevant for me as it shows whether do I manage the time appropriately and efficiently. It is time-phased because I benchmark it at 2 hours per day.

• An example of a KPI that I use is the amount of storage I have on my phone. It’s specific and measurable because I can see which apps/what information on my phone takes up storage. It is achievable because if my phone storage is almost full, I can delete things on my phone so that I have more space. It is relevant because I can see if I need to use my phone storage more wisely or get a phone with more storage. It is time-variant as the storage will change day by day as I add/delete things to/from my phone.

• An example of a KPI that I use is the amount of money I spend on food. It is specific and measurable because I can see an exact dollar amount of my total spend for the week and I can also break it down to individual purchases. It is achievable because I can review the amount of money I am spending, at any time of the week, and I can choose to make food rather than spend money on food. It is relevant because, as a college student, I don’t have hundreds of dollars a week to spend on food and it allows me to be more cost-effective and smart with my money. Finally, it is time-variant because I can compare weekly food spend, daily food spend, or even monthly food spend to better understand my spending habits.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a daily basis is a weekly budget on groceries or food items. It is specific and measurable due to the fact that I have a certain amount of money I limit myself to each week, and while it is the same price if for whatever reason one week I go over the normal amount that I spend I am able to pin point what product or item it was that caused me to exceed my budget. This is achievable because based off of what I purchase I can review my receipts to see if the amount was in my budget range or outside of it. It is a relevant tool for me because it is easy to get caught up in spending, and for me being a college student it is important to keep track of what exactly I spend my money on. It is time-variant because by being consistent with my spending at the grocery store it allows me to evenly distribute my money fort the entire month, so that nothing goes over what it should.

• My example of a KPI that I use regularly is my GPA. It is a very specific measure straight from my grade performance. It is achievable, as I can put the time and effort into improving my GPA. It is definitely relevant, as GPA is an indicator of how good of a college student I am, and also helps me with my future career. Lastly, it is time-variant; every semester my official GPA is revealed. I can look at it over the course of the semester, and entire year (Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, Senior), and entire college career.

• An example of a KPI that I use almost everyday is the number of miles I run on a treadmill. Running in miles is a precise measure for distance. By running on the treadmill it is achievable because I can change the speed I run and how much I run. It is relevant, the more I run the better shape I stay in and the more endurance I build. It is time-variant because I can keep track of how much I run/how long I ran each day, and to see if I am improving.

• An example of a KPI that I use five days a week is the treadmill. There are so many things I measure while running or walking on the treadmill. Somedays I want to focus on the distance and run at least 2 and a half miles, so that’s measuring the distance and MPH. Some days I want to measure the calories so I will walk on an incline at a speed of 3 MPH on a 15 degree incline. The time I spend on the treadmill is also a KPI and I usually spend 30 minutes. My heart rate needs to stay high while running or intensely walking so that’s also a KPI. Lastly, my goal is lose weight from working out is also a KPI.

• One KPI that I see on a regular basis is the amount of diamond dollars I use in a day on campus. It is measurable because I can check my TUMobile app and see the exact amount I spent, where I spent it, and when. I can also see my remaining balance. This is relevant because I limit myself to 30 diamond dollars a week, and if I’m on track to spend more than that, then I know to bring a snack from home to campus with me. This ensures that my diamond dollars last all semester.

• An example of a KPI that I use everyday is my Wells Fargo Banking App. It is measurable because I can check the amount of money I have in my account. And I can also monitor how much I spend based off of my recent purchases. This is an important KPI to manage because the amount I can spend is limited to how much I have.

• One example of a key performance indicator that is used every day is a weight scale. It is specific and measurable: it tells you how much you weigh. It is achievable: I can set goals of how much weight I want to gain/lose. It is relevant: knowing my weight will affect how much I eat, exercise, and what I do in my free time. Lastly, it is time variant: you can check your weight, daily, weekly, or monthly.

• A KPI I use everyday would be my Citi Credit Card app. I tend to not use my debit card as much because I would like to have actual money in my savings and also build my credit score. I like to view my credit score on a regular basis to see how well and fast I am regarding with my payments. It also allows me to check and see if I am budgeting properly. For example, if I have a credit card payment approaching, I evaluate my ability to pay the payment. If I am able to pay fee right away I feel like I am budgeting well, but if I can’t make the payment, it shows me I need help with my budgeting.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis would be my bank app. It has a feature that allows you to plan your budget for the month and then keeps track of how much you spend in certain categories such as food, gas, bills, entertainment, etc. I check it often to make sure that I am spending my money wisely and to see how much I have left to spend in those areas.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is the average time I spend studying for an exam. Its measurable using the SMART criteria like this:
    Specific: How long I spend studying for the exam.
    Measurable: the amount of time spent studying.
    Achievable: To get the best grade possible by studying for more than usual.
    Relevant: The more time I spend, the more likely I will perform better on the exam
    Time: I can compare the times I study daily, or weekly.

• My an example for KPI is when I use smart watch like Apple Watch , it can measure specific type of workout , the measuring depend on the time spent on variety of things and it give how much calories and steps is achieved .

• My example of a KPI is my Samsung Health Track app, more specifically the function that counts my steps. It is specific because it acts as my pedometer and accurately measures the steps I have taken in a specific amount of time. It is achievable because I set the goal of 10K steps per day and i can alter my day to accommodate my goal. It is relevant because it impacts my health. It is time variant because I can change the time period for my step goal from day to week or month.

• A KPI that I use regularly is the “miles until empty” feature on my car. It’s specific and measurable because it gives me exactly how many miles more I can drive until I run out of gas and is more measurable than a normal gas gauge. It’s achievable in the event that I want to only drive a certain amount of miles per week or fill my gas tank up to a certain amount of miles. It’s relevant because it can help me see more accurately how much I need to spend on gas to achieve the amount of miles I need per week, day, etc. allowing me to cut down my costs. And it’s time-variant because I can check how many miles I’ve gone over a certain period of time and use that to alter my driving habits in order to save money.

• A KPI that I frequently use in my life is the distance I have run on my fitbit. Though certainly not perfect it gives me a rough estimate of how much I have run which I value. This measurement is specific/measurable since it is the exact number in miles I have moved. Since I can reach my goal of about 10 miles a day I have an achievable goal set. Since I referee soccer it is particularly relevant to me since I like to know how much I run during a game. As for being time phased my distance traveled is available right after I finish reffing a game and I can track my distance over many different games and compare how much I run per game.

• A KPI I use everyday, especially since beginning my college career has been the number of things I cross off of my to-do list everyday. I keep a running list of everything I have to do, usually organized by what day i aim to have them done by and the list usually extends about a week into the future. They are specific tasks, like “MIS Reading Quiz”. Measurable, it is easy to determine how many things I have left on my list of things to do. Achievable, they are all tasks I need to complete, usually for classes so they should be achievable. Relevant, they are all relevant to my course work or basic needs. Finally time based, I usually have day marked where I need each task done by.

• A KPI I use every day is how much walking I need to do to get to what class I need to get to. It is specific and measurable because I can time myself, I can change locations on where I walk from, and I can also manage my speed of walking whether it is from another building or from my apartment which I know for a fact is a 15-minute walk to campus. I can achieve the concept of getting to class on time, rather than late. This is time base, since I can visually see how much time I have to walk to my next class, and knowing myself and how fast I walk and go from there.

• A daily KPI for me would be the amount of time (minutes) it takes me to get to work everyday from when I leave my house until I arrive at the door. This KPI is specific and measurable because I can look at the time exactly that I left and when I arrived. It is achievable because I can walk faster to make the number of minutes to go down to get there at a specific time. It’s relevant because it helps me decide when to leave for work. It is also time based since it let’s me see the amount of time it tkkk me to get from place A to place B.

• One KPI I use daily is to measure my productivity using my study log hours as a gauge of how focused on school I was that day. I strive to achieve at least 2 and a half hours each day. I can elaborate even more and divide hours studied by assignments completed to find the average time I spent on each assignment. There could be outliers, but this gives me a relative gauge of how productive I was. If the average is too high I was not working diligently enough and if its low I was working efficiently.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is the stationary bike at the IBC, because it tracks time, distance, RPM (rotations per minute), calories, and level of resistance. For example I do, 11 miles with an average mile time of 2 minutes and 50 seconds, at an average of 95 RPMs and typically 430 calories on resistance 15. This is a great KPI because it helps me keep track of pace and allows me to see if I go up in performance or down in performance. All of these factors recorded are huge for me because being a college basketball player before I transferred here, I want to make sure that my athletic ability either goes up or remains the same but never declines.

• A KPI that I use on a daily basis is the amount of MB of cellular data that I use when not in WIFI. This is a prime example of a KPI because it is both specific and measurable. It tracks that amount of data I use each time I open a web page or app the requires an internet connection. Since I do not have an unlimited data plan each day I check to make sure that I am within my required range. This KPI allows me to stay on track each month by sending me updates as to when I have reached a certain percentage of my allocated amount for the month.

• An example of a KPI that happens daily is the battery notification when my phone is at 20%. It is specific and measurable, it reminds me to charge my phone. If I didn’t get this reminder or notification I wouldn’t pay attention to my battery percentage and just use up my battery and it won’t be available in case of an emergency.

• One example of a KPI is the Data plan on my phone. So I have 5G data plan per month, and when I used 2.5GB of the 5G, I will get the text from the mobile company. They will tell me I already used 50% data of this month and when is the bill ending. That can help me not overuse data otherwise I will pay more money for the data. on the other hand, I can check the data use on my phone by my self.

• An example of a KPI is what I buy for groceries. This example is specific and measurable because I can know how many of what I buy, and at what prices. It’s achievable because I can find different sales, use coupons, and use my reward points to get better deals. It is relevant it is relevant because it impacts my budget for the week and reminds me of what I can and can’t spend. Lastly, it’s time-variant because I can buy groceries for the month, the week, or even just for the night.

• An example of a KPI I use regularly is my Focus Keeper app on my i phone. Basically, I set the app timer and it keeps track of how many minutes I was able to focus on one task. Then, my focus sessions are charted and kept track of over certain time spans.
    -This example is specific and measurable because I know exactly how long I stayed focused on one task which allows me to measure accurately by time. The program is achievable because it charts all my data which helps he set goals for my next study session.
    -It is relevant because it shows how much time I am putting into school work
    – It is time phased because I can set how much time I am trying to achieve and the timer begins

• A KPI that i would use is BMI. BMI refers to your body mass index and can help determine your health status in relation to height and weight. While not perfect, it gives rough estimates. This example is specific and measurable because i know what i will be getting by measuring my height and weight and connecting it with a BMI index. it is achievable because i can see how i fluctuate, health wise, by following the simple steps to measure it. It is relevant because i can alter workout plans for it, and time variant because i can use it weekly, monthly or yearly.

• An example of a KPI I use on a daily basis is blood pressure. Being an EMT it is important to monitor patients blood pressure using a blood pressure machine. It uses mm Hg (millimeters of mercury) to measure the systolic and diastolic blood pressure accurately. It is achievable to maintain a better blood pressure by performing lifestyle changes like diet and exercise. It is relevant to everyday life because it is a good determination of one’s health. It’s time-variant, I can record a patient’s blood pressure at different intervals, minutes, hours, or even days to see different changes.

• My example of a KPI on a regular basis is the time my commute to school takes. It is specific as it has to do with me getting from Point A to point B. It is measurable as I can time the whole commute, around 50-70 minutes depending on the wait. It is achievable as I have different routes I can take to speed up my commute if I have to. It is relevant as that is how I get to school every day. It is a time-variant as I can compare the amount of time it takes depending on the route. Should I take bus route 1 and then the BSL going south for a 35 minute trip, or should I take the bus 14 route and then the El and then the BSL going north for a 50 minute commute. Then if I’m in a rush and missed the 1, should I take the 14 and then the L and then get off Berks Station to take the 3 if I’m lucky.

• A kpi I use everyday would have to be viewing my stock portfolio. this is specific and measurable due to the fact that I am able to see how many shares of stock I purchased and at what price. It also shows me my earning and or loses on specific trades, and how much money I have invested in total. This is important because I can measure how much risk I am taking and calculate the type of return I can have on my investment.

• A KPI that I use every day is amount of time I spend doing schoolwork and studying. The purpose it serves is that it improves my grades. It is measurable simply because I am able to count the time that I spend doing it. I can set a goal in order to receive a certain grade and achieve that goal. This is very relevant to my success as a student. Lastly, the time increment can be anything I choose.

• An example of a KPI that I use in a daily basis is my personal finance & Money app in my phone. Which I use to keep tracking my spending in different categories rent, bills, transportation, entertainment, etc. For example, I know that for last month I spent a lot on transportation because I used Uber more than usual. What makes the app relevant is that it makes put a budget and spending plan for my needs in each month.

• An example of a KPI that I use on a daily basis is the amount of water I drink through my Fitbit app. It’s specific and measurable because I can measure how much water m cup hold and how much I actually drink of it. It’s achievable because I can set a goal, for example to drink 64 fl oz in a day anf I can ceck throughout the day to see if I need to drink more. It’s relevant because drinking water is good for my overall health. It’s time phased I can look to see what days I drank more water and what days I didn’t drink enough; I can also see the results for a day, a week, or a month.

• One example of KPI I use daily is the battery percentage on my phone. It is specific because it tells me as the battery falls or rises even just 1%. It is measurable because the percentage ranges from 0-100%. This is a very time based feature because if I know that my phone battery is starting to run low, I can alter how much I am using it. This usually means stopping myself from using entertainment apps and just using it for communication means.

• A KPI that I use is the number of assignments I can complete from day to day. It is specific because I am working on assignments to submit them for class. It is measurable because when I finish one, I get closer to completing all of my future assignments due. It is achievable because I am capable of completing and submitting all my homework. It is results-focused because I am working to get better grades in all of my courses. Finally, is time-bound because all of the assignments have due dates that I have to complete them by.

• A KPI I use is my wealth. Wealth is specific and measurable as I can track how much it lessens and grows. I can set a goal for the amount of wealth I would like to gain, which makes it achievable. Wealth is commonly used to measure a persons success. I can check the results of my wealth every day, pay day, weekly, etc. which makes it time phased.

• A KPI that I use on a regular basis is the number of floors that I climb on the stair climber at the gym. This is a specific and precise number. It also achievable as I can change the pace I am going to get more out of the exercise. It its relevant as the more I workout, the better shape I will be in and build more strength. Lastly, it is time variant because I can keep track of how many steps/floors I climbed and for how long.

• A KPI that I use regularly would be me getting booked for gigs (I’m a DJ around Temple’s campus). Getting booked relates to the SMART criteria as the following:

Specific: Which dates I get booked for
    Measurable: How many dates i’m booked for
    Achievable: To DJ throughout the weekend (Friday and Saturday)
    Relevant: The more gigs I get booked for the better DJ I can be
    Time: How long the gigs I get booked for

• A KPI that I use regularly is the amount of emails I send on a weekly basis. This is specific because I send emails a lot due to the different programs and organizations I’m involved in, measurable because I can easily count how many emails I send/receive by looking in my Mail app, and also because I keep track of how many emails I send for each program/org to make sure I’m not sending too many each week. It’s achievable because each week, I plan out the emails I send considering the content of each email and what time I send them. It’s relevant because I use my emails to keep a thread of conversations about specific things with my team members and also send reminders, so they’re important, and time-variant because I can track how many emails I send each hour, day, week, month, etc., but I track on a weekly basis.

• So one example of KPI that I use at my job are my sales in comparison to my tips. I am a lunch bartending in center city Philadelphia. Generally a bartender/server makes in tips 18% of their sales. If my tips are more than 18% of my sales, then I know I was giving good service during that shift. If my tips are below the 18% threshold, then I know I was giving bad service. It definitely follows the SMART criteria. As it is specific part of the restaurants compensation for servers, it is measurable in dollars, it is definitely achievable, it is relevant to success of the business by bringing in my sales, its more money for the bartender and business, and finally it is over a specific shift.

• A KPI I look at is my bank account and credit account. It’s specific and measurable because I can see the monetary value in the accounts. It’s achievable because I can alter how much I spend to reserve money or work more to earn more money. It’s relevant, money runs the world. And it’s time-variant because I can look at my accounts every day over a week, etc.

• A KPI that I often look at is the battery monitor on my laptop. It is Specific and Measurable because it displays to me both the remaining battery life expressed as a percentage and its remaining operational time. It is Achievable because I can affect and increase the remaining battery life through the available power settings. It is very Relevant, because my laptop is where I do all of my schoolwork and most of my correspondence, and without life in the battery I cannot accomplish my tasks. Lastly, it is time-variant because I can identify, to the minute, when my battery will die and adjust that projection accordingly.

• In rowing we use our times on the ergs to determine our performance. It is specific and measurable because it is down to the tenth of a second and the lower your time is the better. It is also a pretty good indicator of how you will do on the water, usually. It is achievable because with enough work you can get your times lower and be faster. It’s relevant due to the fact that this is one of the very few ways to determine the ranking of rowers internally on the team. It is time variant because during a piece I can look over at who is next to me during a workout and adjust my splits accordingly.