Section 003, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 16

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 16. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

50 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 16

• Twitter is a data driven service used daily by millions of people. Twitter stores posted tweets. A tweet would be a row in the spreadsheet. The columns in the spreadsheet would be the name of the person, the date, the time, and the number of characters.

• Uber is a data driven service that many people use regularly. Uber stores uber rides. In a spreadsheet, a row would be an individual Uber ride and the columns would be how long the Uber ride was, the distance, the traffic involved, and the number of people riding.

• Canvas is a data driven service used daily by Temple students. Each row in the spreadsheet would represent classes the student is enrolled in. Some of the data columns would be syllabus, schedule, grades, assignments, and announcements.

• Google Drive is a file storage service developed by Google. Google Drive stores all kinds of files including Word documents and Powerpoints and allows users to collaborate on documents. A row in Google Drive’s database would be information on an individual file. Columns would include metadata on the file including the upload date, contributors, name, last edit date, size, and the actual data included in the file.

• The grade center in Blackboard records the grades earned by each student. If put in to an Excel spreadsheet, the row would be the grade received, and the columns would include what class the grade was for, how heavily it is weighted overall, what kind of grade it was (quiz, exam, homework, etc.), who the professor of the class is, and date the grade was posted.

• The data driven service I use everyday would have to be Canvas. If I were to make an Excel spreadsheet for the information that is stored on Canvas the rows would be all my different classes. The columns would represent professor name, my grades for each class, upcoming assignments, assignments completed, and dates for exams/projects.

• Amazon stores information about different products for consumers to search and choose from. If the information was to go on a spreadsheet, the columns would be: Product name, Category, Price, Seller, Rating, Number Purchased.

• A data driven service I use everyday would be snapchat since it’s used by millions of users every second. If I were to store the data for snapchat in a spreadsheet what each column in the spreadsheet represent would be the time I posted my snapchat story, how many people viewed it, and how many responded to it. The rows would be individual users I sent a snap too or users I got a snapchat from.

• Most of my classes are on Blackboard, so I am going to choose that as my data driven service. To store that data in a spreadsheet, each row in the spreadsheet would represent one class. there would be a lot of columns. Some of these columns could be: class section, professor name, average grade for that class, announcements, and assignments.

• A data driven source I used regularly is Twitter. If data from Twitter were put into a spreadsheet, a row would be an individual’s Twitter handle, and the columns would be things like the individual’s total number of tweets, number of tweets on a specific day (or over a period of time), number of retweets, number of likes, number of media posted, number of followers, number of people the individual is following. Or, a row would be an individual tweet, and the columns could be the Twitter handle of the person who made the tweet, the number of characters, the time and date posted, how many likes and retweets the tweet got, and how many times the tweet was viewed.

• Amazon is a data driven source used regularly by millions of people. If i were to use it and put it in a spreadsheet, some of the columns of data ratings would include product name, average rating, price, manufacturer and category. I could also put average shipping and handling if that is done through the individual seller or amazon and is a fixed price.

• Instagram is a website and app for sharing photos and videos. One row could be for pictures and another row could be for videos posted. The columns could be how many likes, comments, and the date it was posted.

• UberEats is an app I use, which is a data driven source. Rows would be location, restaurant, name of food, order time, delivery, and delivery driver. Columns would likes, dislikes, comments, and date.

• YouTube is a website/app that millions of people use everyday to view videos about all different kinds of things. In Excel, a row would be a specific video and the columns could be the name of the video, the date posted, the genre of the video (music, sports, travel, etc.), the length of the video, the number of views it has, the number of likes/comments it has, whether the video has ads on it, and the name of the account posting it.

• Amazon is an app I am constantly using to buy things on the go. I would put the items bought in the rows and in the columns I would put information such as: price, amount of time the item remained in the buyers cart, date of purchase, the delivery time, information on whether or not the buyer wrote a review, and if the item was kept or returned.

• One of a data-driven service is the Linkedin, a professional social networking site for business community. Some of the column would be the LinkedinID, Experience, Skills, Accomplishments, Place of work/ Study, and Contact Information. The rows would be information of each person that create a profile in Linkedin.

• Amazon has many source of data that we can exclude many things from it . We can make a spreadsheet sheet about many brand that it is in the same category and each row has the ratings, price , most poplar brand .

• Amazon is a service with inordinate amounts of data behind the scenes. I think if I had the data for Amazon it would likely include product names, price, customer rating, a short description, and seller. If the data was made available things like number of sales and number of returns or complaints would be extremely helpful to amazon and its sellers; with that information they could fix issues with their products and bolster their sales numbers.

• An example of a data-driven service that I use regularly would be Amazon. If I were to store the data (of my purchases) for that service in a spreadsheet, the information would be formatted by rows = list of products and columns = product name, order date, shipped date, delivered date, delivery location, price, and average customer rating. We could also add a column titled “type of product.” This would be a cool way to analyze my shopping patterns of either house supplies, kitchen supplies, office supplies, etc.

• A data driven service I use everyday is my Citi credit card application and the Citi credit card online banking. If I wanted to integrate the data into Microsoft Excel, the rows would be categories of the purchases. For example, the rows would be named entertainment, merchandise, restaurants, organizations, and vehicle services. On the other hands the columns would represent the time period such as November 2017, October 2017, September 1017, and so on. The cells would be the total amount of money spent on the purchase category in accordance with the time period accrued.

• Netflix is a data-driven service that I use often. If I wanted to create a spreadsheet to store data each row would be the name of a movie/show and some examples of the columns would include genre, length, rating, actors, director, and Netflix category.

• Snapchat is an example of a data-driven service that I use every single day. If I created a spreadsheet to show Snapchat’s data, I would make the rows be individual users. For the columns, I would put their snap score, how many snapchats they send per day, what filters they used, and how long their streaks are with other people/their highest snap streak.

• Facebook Groups would be an example of a data-driven service, that I’ve worked with and billions of people use every day. A row would be a single post on the page or replied to a post on that page. Some columns could be the post itself, the type of content (reply or post), the time, the date, the name of the user, the gender, and maybe even the location of the user.

• Instagram is a data-driven service that I use everyday. If I wanted to store information into an Excel spreadsheet, I could do multiple things. One spreadsheet could include making the rows, the individual account’s username. In the columns, I could put the number of followers the account has, the number they are following, how many pictures have they posted, how many likes have they received, the average number of likes per a photo, and number of photos they have liked.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is Facebook. Facebook stores “posts”. A row would be someone’s individual feed. The data in the columns would the name of the person who posted, the date of the post, the time of the post, how many likes, how many comments, whether the post was a video, picture, or just a written post.

• One data-driven service that I regularly use would be Instagram. If I were to store Instagram in a spreadsheet, one row would be for the picture, when it was posted. Another would be how how many people viewed it vs liked it. The columns of each of these rows would consist of peoples instagram handles, and how many times they saw a particular picture. This would be useful, because it would visually set everything in sight for a person to see from their own account.

• One data- driven service is black board. If I put blackboard’s data into a spreadsheet I would have many different columns. One would be courses so that the data in the other columns can be organized in rows by course. Then it would be assignments and grades. All the data would be filtered by courses.

• A data -driven service I use regularly is my Temple email. If I were to put some information from my email into a spreadsheet I would create a few different titles for columns. Those columns could include date received, date sent, names, alias addresses and number of starred mail.

• rotten tomatoes stores movie reviews. the row will be short reviews, and columns will be the name of the movies, how many stars the movie got (0-5), the year of the movie produced, names of the director and main actors, which type the movie is, and who writes the reviews.

• A data driven service that I use on a regular basis would be YouTube. Some examples of columns could be the YouTuber’s username, genre of video, and what is trending. The rows would include the information of these categories or a potential link to any given video.

• An example of a data-driven service I use regularly is my bank account. And the spreadsheet would have different columns. That is my spendings like cash and different categories like food, entertainment, and transportation.

• A data driven service that I use regularly is Facebook. On a spread sheet, each individual row would probably be a facebook page. Each column would then be an attribute of that facebook page. There are probably over 100 collumns per facebook page, however some of the columns would be, an Indentification number, the Page name, page type, Date created, Login email, login password, gender, description, etc.

• One data driven service I use regularly is Amazon. This online retail site keeps record of every purchase I make. In a spread sheet the item I purchase would be in rows and the columns would include price, order number, seller information, and my method of payment.

• I use Blackboard just about everyday, even if it is just to check if any grades have been entered, which they usually haven’t. If it were to be converted to excel, some rows could be grades, upcoming assignments and and the email address for the professor. The columns in this sheet would be the classes themselves, and with those rows showing everything about the classes that is necessary.

• A Data-driven app I use regularly would be Snapchat. Each row would represent my friends on Snapchat. The columns would represent how many times a day they post. How many of my stories do they watch when I post a few times a week.

• A data driven app that I use regularly is Serato, my personal database for music. If I were to make an Excel spreadsheet for the information that is stored on Serato the rows would be the different crates I’ve made. The columns would be for the song name, BPM (beats per measure), artist, album, and the year that the song came out.

• Footlocker where I look for shoes often. If the information was to go on a spreadsheet, the columns would be: Brand, Category, Price, Size, Color, Rating, and date of release.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is blackboard. The rows would represent each individual class. There could be a lot of columns. One could be the professor. Another would be the name of the course. The CRN for the course could be used as the id, or you could just assign an id to class. You could also have a column for my grade in the course. Lastly, there could be a column that is just a description of the course.

• Twitter is a data driven service that I use regularly. If I put twitter data into a spreadsheet, one row could represent tweets that I compose myself. Another row could be tweets that I retweet. Some columns could be the time the tweet was composed, the date the tweet was composed, the number of likes that the tweet received, the number of retweets the tweet received, the amount of comments and some of the most popular ones.

• A data driven service I use everyday would be my fantasy football account. If I were to make it a spreadsheet I would make the rows would be different players names. In the columns there would be data entries such as total points this season, point average per week, point average in last 5 games etc. The spreadsheet could be useful to find trends in player trends based on how there point production is progressing or falling. This could help project if a player will have a good week for fantasy football or possibly a good or bad year based on their statistical trends.

• Ebay is a data driven source used for online shopping. Columns would be product type/category, price, sales, etc and rows would be product names, quantitative data, etc. Buying behavior and trends can be identified from the data to gain key marketing data for better overall market insights. This can include prediction of trends, pricing, promotion, etc.

• A data driven service I use frequently is Amazon for online shopping. The row would be my my order number. And some columns could be the items I ordered, the price I paid, method of payment, shipping address, company the product is coming from.

• A data-driven source that I use almost every day is Amazon. I buy multiple items from this company a week. if I was to put my order history into a spreadsheet I would put the products I bought into the rows and for the columns, I would put in details such as price, customer rating, and the category the product falls in and its shipping and arrival dates.

• I use Twitter a lot and if the data used from Twitter was placed into a spread sheet the rows would most likely consist of trending topics, tweets per day, number of total tweets, and most used hashtags.

• Facebook has massive stores of data. They would probably store each row as a user and each column would probably be things like time logged in, messages sent, likes, comments, and possibly even a unique code or serial number to identify the content that you use the most. They probably also tailor ads the same way. I would think that this would be the best way to organize the data at least, it makes the most sense to me.

• A data-driven service I use often is Amazon. If I were to store data from my purchases on Amazon, I would put the name or ID# of the items I buy in the rows and all the metadata that goes with the item in the columns. For example, if I bought shoes on Amazon the item name would be the name of the shoe, and some of the columns might be the brand, size, year of release, or color of the shoes.

• Data Driven Service – Gmail

The columns will store the data like categories

Example:: NAME OF SENDER SUBJECT

The rows will have a more detailed fields following the column so for example

NAME OF SENDER. Subject
    Joe MIS weekly questions

• Data Driven service : Stats.nba
    In an excel spreadsheet, the NBA stats per player would be listed. Player/Team names would be in columns and the individual statistics would be in rows. Statistics used in our previous in class exercise for NCCA such as field goal percentage, etc. An additional row that could be added that wasn’t included in the in class exercise could be forecasts for players in future games.

• ESPN stores box score information. A row could be individual players. Some columns could be points, rebounds, assists, fouls, minutes played, etc. this would display how each player performed in a particular game.

• Uber/lift would be a data driven service that use almost everyday. In an excel worksheet, the row section would be filled with the specific ride or trip. In the columns it would include the name of the customer getting picked up, the distance of the ride, how much the individual is charged, name of the driver, duration time of the trip, and the rating of the overall trip.