Section 003, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 16, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 16, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Give an example of a KPI – some sort of metric for performance – that you use on a regular basis? Briefly discuss how it conforms to the SMART criteria.

(For example, my car tells me its average gas mileage. This is specific and measurable – gas mileage is a precise measure. It is achievable – I can alter my driving to try to get better mileage. It’s relevant – gas mileage has an impact on my costs! And it’s time-variant, I can look at gas mileage over a week, or a day, or a month.)

53 Responses to Weekly Question #7: Complete by March 16, 2016

• Profile photo of Elena K Cipparone

I constantly use the KPI of how much time/work I am putting into my coursework, such as study/homework time. It is specific, measurable, and time-variant, as I can count the hours/minutes/ and it I were to set a timer, even seconds I spend. It is achievable, as I can adjust my schedule to alter the time I spend studying. And it is relevant because the amount of time and work I put into my courses, the better my grades are and it increases my understanding of the material so that I can implement the knowledge in the future.

• I use the KPI of how much time it takes for me to walk from class from my dorm. It is specific and measurable because you can measure the amount of minutes it takes to walk from one place to another. It is achievable because you can walk a little faster to improve the time it takes to go from one place to another. It is relevant because I need to know when to leave my dorm to get to class on time, and it is time variant because i can look at the average time it takes to go from one place to another over the course of a day or week.

• I use the KPI of how long it takes me to skateboard from my house to work. it is specific and measurable because i can clock the time it take me to get from home to work. it is an achievable goal because i can do it everyday, and change the amount of effort i want to put in, thus changing the time it takes to get there. this is relevant because i need to make it to work on time so i can make up my mind on how long it will take me to get to work on any given day.

• Profile photo of Kashif Hasan Malik

I use KPI by seeing how much battery percentage is remaining on my phone. It is specific and measurable because you can measure the remaining battery percentage on the phone. It is achievable because there are ways to increase battery life such as turning down the brightness of the screen and placing it on airplane mode. It is relevant because everyone uses their phone and people need to see how much longer their phone will last. It is time variant because I can look at the average battery usage over the course of a day, week, or month

• Profile photo of Akshat A Shah

I use KPI by seeing how much time I am putting into my classwork and homework. It is specific and measurable because I can see how much time I am working on my work. Also, it is achievable because I can choose how I make my schedule in order to have some time to work. It is relevant because everyone spends time working in order to pass classes and do good in those classes. It is time-variant because I can choose the amount of time I spend working and take breaks in between.

• Profile photo of Katherine Braccio

I use KPI to see how much time it takes me to complete a given assignment. By this point in the semester, I know which types of assignments take longer for me to complete than others. This KPI is specific as I can apply it to a specific set of coursework. It is measurable by noting the amount of time it takes for me to complete my homework. It is achievable as my homework is able to be completed in a timely manner. It is relevant because it pertains to my success at school, and it is time-based by having deadlines for each assignment. By using this KPI, I can prioritize and better parse-out my work to get it done in the most efficient way possible.

• I am a telemarketer so an example of a KPI that I use daily is my sit to appointment ratio. It’s specific to my job because the higher my percentage is means the higher possibility of gaining a sale. It’s clearly measurable because I divide my total number of appointments by the number of appointments that actually sat through the presentation; didn’t cancel or reschedule. It’s achievable because this past month I sat a 70% sit to appointment goal and right now I’m at 66.7% so I can achieve my goal by the end of the month. In the business of sales it’s all about sales. If you aren’t producing than you aren’t making money so my sit to appointment ratio is relevant to my success because its a key factor in my sales. It is also time phased for that I can measure my sit to appointment percentage over the course of a day, week, month, and even a business quarter.

• Profile photo of Rachel Houtz

I use the KPI of how many steps I take per day using the health app on my phone. This is specific and measurable as steps per day is a simple quantitative measure. It is achievable as I can work harder to take more steps per day in order to promote a healthier lifestyle (10,000 is usually the goal). It is relevant because it affects my personal health! It is time variant because I can measure my steps per day over time (week/month/year).

• A common KPI that is recurrent in my life is BPM. BPM is a measure of beats per minute in a song. Before I make a song or sometimes in the middle of having an idea I have to decide what BPM to set in my recording program. BPM is specific to how many beats fit in the minute. It is measurable and achievable, it can be altered, slowed or sped up. It is relevant to every other aspect of a song and it is the definition of time for the song itself.

• Profile photo of Ashley Charlton

I use the KPI of how much time I spend studying for tests. This is specific and measurable because I can easily time how long I spend studying the material. It is also achievable because I can compare the time I spent studying to the score I get on the test to determine if I need to study the material more or if the amount I’m doing now is fine. Its time variant because I’m measuring the how long (minutes or hours) unspent studying. This KPI is also relevant because I take tests almost every week and always study for them.

• Profile photo of Alice Nguyen

I use KPI in managing my social and academic activities. There are set numbers of homework and social events on campus every week, which is specific and measurable because I can calculate how much work I do or how many events I go per week. It is achievable because I can adjust social events attendance according to my workload and vice versa in order to fit the time frame/deadline of a week, and relevant if I want to do well in school and find future work opportunities at the same time.

• Profile photo of Junaid K Farnum

A common KPI I use is the amount of calories I burn in a day using my Android phone. The application I use takes into account the type of action I take during the day, whether it is walking, running, jogging, or bicycling, which is pretty impressive. It gives me an aggregate estimate of the amount of calories I burn daily as a result of my physical activity. This KPI is both Measurable and Time-Related since it measures activity performed as calories burned, andgives those results daily so it is timed.

• A common KPI I use on a regular basis is time spent exercising. It is specific to time spent on exercising and measurable in minutes. It is achievable, relevant, and time-related. Measuring time spent exercising helps indicate health and time management.

• Profile photo of Colin Kelly

A KPI that I use on a regular basis is how long I’m able to run on a treadmill while at the gym. It’s specific because it provides me with a time for how long I’m able to run, and it’s measurable because the treadmill keeps track of the distance I ran as well as how long it took me to run that distance. It is achievable because my using that information, I am able to constantly try to improve myself and see whether or not I can run a longer distance, or even the same distance but in a quicker time. It’s relevant because I’m currently training for the Broad Street Run in May, which is 10 miles. By monitoring this information I can see how well I’m improving in time and try to work my way to the 10 mile goal. It’s time-related because I’m able to check how long it takes me to run a certain distance and then I can try to improve my time.

• Profile photo of Alexandria M Freeman

I use the KPI of how much time I spend on studying and school work while still being able to maintain a social life. This is specific and measurable in accordance to what classes are easier for me or ones that I have trouble with. Since I know that I struggle with math I will take more time to complete that work during the week instead of pushing it off until the weekend. This is achievable with the help of time management. The larger my work load is for my courses the more time I will set out during the week in order to maintain time for the weekend. It is relevant in order to stay on top of my work, maintain good grades, and reduce stress. It is time variant for I can refer to a syllabus to check for deadlines.

• Profile photo of Tae Shin

KPI that I can use is the KPI of tasks I get completed in order to determine how productive I am. I use Microsoft Outlook to list all of my school assignments and tasks. The specific idea to measure is my productivity. It is measurable because I check off the tasks that I complete and can see how many tasks I completed on what days. This KPI is achievable because all the information is stored within the software. It is relevant because I base my productivity on tasks completed. The more tasks I complete on one day the more I was productive that day. Lastly, it is timely because I can see the tasks I complete on time and tasks I did not complete, which means I was unproductive.

• Profile photo of Jose X Villanueva

A KPI that I use in everyday life is calorie intake and burned. Its specific and measureable because I can count how many calories I have eaten and how many I have burned with exercise. Its Achievable because working harder and eating better can help me achieve it. It is relevant because it has to do with my personal health and wellbeing. It is time-variant because I can measure it over the course of a minute/hour/day and so on.

• Profile photo of Michael Lawrence Carey

A simple KPI is time. Whether its walking to class, working, studying etc. time is essential and it is a KPI we come into contact with everyday. Evaluating a KPI can help show you where you are excelling at and where you may be struggling at. For example the more I focus on social media during work time, my work progress slips because more time is focused on social media than working. Helping to separate work from social media can increase my work performance and limit my time using my phone during working hours.

• Profile photo of Matthew Major

As a commuter, I use a time KPI measuring how on time my train normally is to get to campus from my house. It is specific for obvious reasons, measureable in regards to whether or not they hit the achieved time, achievable due to the fact that if they arrive at the scheduled time then they achieved the goal, and I achieved my analysis. It is also relevant because I need to be on time to get to class, as well as time variant due to the fact that my KPI is completely measured on on time performance.

• I work at a fitness studio where we choreograph to music, so I am constantly using the KPI of length of a song (minutes). Each section of the class has a specific time range that needs to be adhered to so that the class fits into 1 hour while making sure each section is full included. This KPI is specific for the purpose of having correct timing for each class, and is measurable in minutes. It is easily achievable with some experimenting and playing around with different songs for different sections. It is directly relevant to my classes because I need to know the length of songs on each class’s playlist so I can tailor the choreography appropriately. Lastly, length of a song is clearly time-bound. I have a limit of time that all the songs together need to fit into.

• Profile photo of John W Forsythe

A KPI that I use in everyday life is time spent working out weekly. It is specific to time spent working out and measurable in minutes. It is also achievable because I can work harder to spend more hours in the gym in order to get into top shape, and stay active. It is relevant because it affects my health and overall wellness. Finally, it is time variant because I can measure the amount of time spent working out weekly.

• Profile photo of Craig Jacob Kestecher

One KPI I regularly use is amount of time allocated when studying. It is specific and measurable because I calculate every minute spent and minutes are measurable. It is achievable because I control how I spend my time. Time spent studying is (usually) relevant to the grades I earn. Lastly, it is time variant because I can compare time spent studying over the course of a semester.

• A KPI that I use daily is my cell phone data usage .It is specific and measurable because I can easily go on my Verizon account and check how much data I used, or I can see how I am using most of my data in my settings. It is achievable because I can change my data use habits. For example, I can refrain from going on the internet when I do not have wifi connection, and I can stop facetiming my friends and start calling them instead. It’s relevant because extra gbs per month cost me a decent amount of money, and because I often spend too much time on my phone. This causes me to be less productive. The time can change based on how i want to evaluate my data usage. It is typically monthly, but it can be daily, weekly, or yearly too.

• A KPI I use often is the features in Mint. Mint a finance Application on my phone that keeps track of your spending. It tells me when i’m approaching my budget and where exactly I am spending my money. Mint can also keep track of your monthly bill payment and uses that data to remind you when your bill whether it be phone or utility, is approaching. I can adjust my budget by amount and allocation. For example, I set my weekly coffee spending to be $15. When I approach this it warns me. This is a great app for people like me who is almost always obvious to her spending track and is a caffeine addict.

• Profile photo of Alexander Somers Greene

A KPI i constantly use is time.
    S: Although it is used for no specific purpose, time can used as a measurement for a wide variety of activities such as how you split your time between projects, or how many days does it take on average for a group to complete this project.
    M: Can be measured in seconds, minutes hours and days.
    A: All you need to measure time is a timer.
    R: The amount of time one spends on something can directly correlate to ones success in that activity depending on the activity.
    T: Time is time-phased.

• Profile photo of Jason Ly

A KPI that I’ve been using is the Calorie Counter app. It’s specific and measurable since I am able to keep track of the amount of calories I’ve set for myself. It is achievable because of the information stored on the app that has an accurate amount of calories for that certain type of food consumed. It’s relevant because it helps me reach my goal of a certain weight. It’s time variant because I can refer how many calories I have by the last meal and not go over the set goal.

• Profile photo of Kennedy Frances Price

A KPI I use is the distance tracker app on my phone when I go running. It is specific and measurable because it measures the exact distance that I go. The distance goals I set are achievable each time I go running and relevant to my workout plan. It is time-phased because I can look at the distances I have gone over any time period (I usually use a week).

• Profile photo of Kenneth Kirk Killian

A KPI that I have used through college is how many hours I work per week at my job. It is specific and measurable through how many shifts I do and how many hours they are. It is achievable because I can take more shifts if I need more money and relevant to success again because it is the source of income I use to pay for my rent. Lastly, it is time-phased in weeks.

• Profile photo of Shuyue Ding

The KPI that I use everyday right now is how much time I walk my dog.

This is specific because my dog need to lost at least 10 pounds weight.
    This is measurable, I use my phone to measure how much time I spend.
    It is achievable, I believe it is achievable… She already lost 4.4 pounds.
    It’s relevant, more walking can result more calorie burning.
    it’s time-variant, I check my god’s weight at least once a month.

• I work in the service industry and I find myself using performance indicators all the time, but there is one statistic that I use more than anything, a headcount or sales per guest. To me it’s the most measurable metric that stands for anything; it’s your ability to narrow down your sales to an individual level, and creates a metric for which I strive for each shift I work. The goal I set is achievable because it’s an aggregate of my sales that I keep track of mentally, it’s also rewarding because nights where I do better than my average equals more money in my pocket.

• Profile photo of Colin P Krouse

I work as a waiter at a restaurant. My KPI is tip percentage. Basically, at the end of each shift, I review my sales summary and divide my total amount of tips by my total amount of sales. Generally, if someone who eats at a restaurant feels that the service was good, it is common to leave a gratuity that is 20% of the bill. Therefore, if my tip percentage is above 20%, it tells me that my performance was good for that day. This is specific and measurable because a percentage is precise. It is achievable because I can try to be more pleasant and efficient to raise the percentage. It is relevant because my whole job depends on the quality of my service. Finally, it is time-variant because I come out of each day with a different total and I can compare it to other days to see if I am maintaining and improving my service.

• Profile photo of Jordan Timothy Motter

A KPI that I use daily is the number of steps that my VivoFit records per 3 hours of gymnastics practice. I use this to see how efficient my practice was for that day. It is Specific & Measurable because it is a very clear indicator and can be expressed by a number. It is Attainable because the watch counts how many steps I have during the time zone. It is Relevant to the work because the more steps I have, the better workout I get. It is Time-Variant because I can measure it in a certain amount of time.

• One KPI that I keep track of daily is my sleeping hours. Keeping track of sleeping hours is very important to me as sometimes if I have more wok I end up sleeping less than 4 hours. This can cause problems the next day and may lead me to over sleep. Some times if I have limited amount of work i try to get at least 6 hours of sleep. This will help me stay fresh the next day and also help me reduce over sleeping. I usually measure the sleeping hours in hours, but sometimes every minute counts! It does not require a lot of effort it just requires proper planning.

• Profile photo of Joshua J Affainie

As a commuter, I use a time KPI measuring how on time my train normally gets to campus from my house. It is specific for obvious reasons are measureable regards to whether or not they hit the achieved time. It is also relevant because I need to be on time to get to class. My KPI is completely measured on time performance

• Profile photo of Kenneth Warren Wren

I use the KPI of how long it takes my team to warm up before tournaments. It is specific and measurable because we have a set number of golf balls we hit and a set number of time we hit each club. It is attainable because we record this to better schedule our travel. It is relevant because in college golf, the practice areas are hectic, so having a routine adds structure. It is time variant because we can allow ourselves the same amount of time each week.

• A KPI that I use daily is an app on my phone called S Health. It records my steps, calories burned, and distance traveled in a day. It is specific and measurable because it is precise in its measurements of my daily activity. It is attainable because I can change my activity in a day to meet my goals for steps, distance, or calorie burn. It is relevant because I like to stay active, and this allows me to see my progress throughout the day. It is time-variant because I can see my progress from any day, week, month, or year that I wish. Every day had a different outcome.

• Profile photo of Rahsaam K Ray

A KPI I use regularly is the percentage battery my laptop and phone. It is a specific and measurable because it gives a numerical value to show exactly what percentage your device is on. It is achievable because you can take your device off the charger when you reach the percentage you want it to be on.

• Profile photo of Brittney Michelle Pescatore

I like to go to the gym daily and while I am there, I like to keep track of my progress. I do this by processing what the machines tell me. They help me track my calories burned, miles ran, and my heart rate. From this information, I decide if I need to increase my level or keep my level constant. This is specific because it is measuring just only my performance. It is measurable because all of the recordings are in numerical form and the metrics are clarified. This is easily attainable, no matter how much or how little work I put in, the machine will still track my progress. It is relevant to me since I am trying to live a healthier lifestyle and it is time bound because my progress will be tracked for the amount of time I spend on the machine.

• Profile photo of William G Roman

A KPI that I use daily is the amount of time I spend exercising each week. It is specific and measurable because there are certain exercises I do each day for a certain number of minutes. It is achievable because I can work to achieve whatever goals I set for myself each week. It is relevant because it helps me stay in shape and makes me healthier overall. It is time-phased because I can measure how much time I spend exercising each week.

• A KPI I use on a regular basis is the recording journal I use for my morning runs. It’s specific and measurable because after my morning run, I record the time and distance I ran that day. It’s also achievable and relevant because this is something I do on a daily basis and plan on continuing.

• Profile photo of Jake Montana

A KPI that I use on a regular basis is time spent working out each week. This is specific and measurable because I can do different exercises everyday for a specific amount of time. It is achievable because I can complete my workouts in the amount of time that I want. It is relevant to me because working out helps me stay in shape and have a healthy physique. It is time-phased because I work out on a weekly basis and all my sessions can be measured for time it takes to complete the workout.

• Profile photo of Xiaoxu Liu

I use the KPI of how much water I drink per day by using a bottle with 16oz capacity. This is specific and measurable because I can use the number of bottles I drink per day times 16oz to calculate my water intake. It is achievable because I can compare my water intake with the standard of healthy water intake per day and see if I need drink more. It is variant relevant because water is important for my health. It is time-variant I wants to make sure I drink enough water and I calculate this around noon every day.

• Profile photo of Mark Anthony Negro

As a business student, one of the most important and obvious KPIs is profit. Profit is the value taken from the costs subtracted from revenues. That value is specific, it comes out to be one number and it is measurable using the formula for it. It is achievable, you can alter your costs and revenue to get more profit. It is relevant because everyone needs to know this, everyone uses money and this is how much you have left after spending. It is essential to keep track of this to know you have enough for your expenses plus extra. Finally, it is time specific because you can track your profit within a certain day, week, month, or year.

• As someone who practices basketball on a daily basis, a KPI I use regularly is number of shots made within a certain time period. This is specific and measurable because it is an exact number (assuming I count right). It is achievable because I can spend more time practicing in order to increase my shooting percentage. it’s relevant since the number of shots I make correlates to how well I would play in a game and how much I’m improving, and it’s time-variant because I can record my totals for each day and measure it for different time periods.

• Profile photo of Sakeena A McLain-Cook

I use the KPI of the number minutes it takes me to walk from my apartment to class. This is specific and measurable- minutes and distance is a precise measurement. This is achievable- I can walk faster or slower to alter my results. Its relevant- the number of minutes has an impact on the amount of time I allow myself to get to class. It’s time-variant- I can take an average of the time over a week or month.

• I use a KPI of the time it takes to finish a Netflix season. It is specific and measurable because each episode is thirty minutes long. It is achievable because I could watch a lot of episodes really quickly to get through the season faster. It is relevant because if I finish an entire season in a week I know I have a problem. It is also time specific because of the speed at which I get through the episodes.

• One KPI that I definitely use multiple times a week would be the hours I have clocked at work. Although I have the ability to determine the total amount of hours I work at the beginning of the week when I receive my schedule, hours at my job are counted and determined by every quarter of an hour. So, sometime I end the week with more or even less hours than I had initially anticipated. Knowing how many hours I work allows me to predict what my paycheck for that week will look like and whether I will have some leverage to splurge and treat myself, or just stick to the necessities. Knowing and gauging my hours throughout the week as I complete shifts helps me to be able to plan for the coming week and anticipate a little more freedom and flexibility with my check.

• An example of a KPI in my life is my telephone conversations. I have a large family who I do not get to see often, but keep in touch often. SMART criteria is applicable to this, because I have an understanding of an approximate time frame of how long I will probably be on the phone with my relatives. This is specific and measurable, because I have an idea of how long I will be on the phone with each family member. This is achievable and relevant, because I am able to stay in contact with my family, but at the same time work their conversations into my schedule (ex. I’ll know in advance, if I’m going to be talking to a chatty aunt, if I will have to cut the convo short). Finally, this is time variant, because, I am able to look at this over large periods of time (weeks, months) since I am always on the phone and definitely will be in the future too!

• An example of a KPI that I use on a regular basis is how how many meals I eat a day . It is both specific and measurable because the number of times I eat can be measured weekly because each day may vary. It is achievable because I can control how much I eat and if I want to eat more, I can change the way I eat. This is also a relevant KPI because I how much I eat can affect how I view my diet and what I should or should not eat. Lastly, the correlation of my data is a time variant over the course of the number of weeks throughout a year and I can also see the difference between my weight and the quantity of meals I eat during specific time periods.

• Profile photo of David J D'Angelo

A KPI that I use on a daily basis is how much time I spend preparing for each course. This measurement allows me to see what classes i.m performing well in, and what classes i’m not. This KPI helps me manage my time better as well because i can evaluate my performance and see what classes i need to focus on more, and what classes i can focus on less. For example, In STAT 1102, i currently have a grade average of 97, and in MicroEconomics, i have an 80. This KPI will tell me to focus less on STAT and more on Micro.

• I use KPI to measure how much fat percentage I have after weekly workout. It’s specific and measurable because I can know how much fat I already took and how much fat I need to burn with weekly workout. it’s achievable because I can compare different fat percentages and make a more efficient workout plan. It is relevant because it is closely related to my personal well-being. It is time-variant because I can measure it every week.

• Profile photo of Erica Corinne Rudy

A KPI I use at work is the number of patrons in the fitness facilities. Everyone has to swipe their ID to get into the facilities, so we can gather name and ID# and also how many times they swipe their idea. However, for my position, we solely look at the number of patrons, not who is coming in or how many times. It is specific and measurable because the swipe machines read each individual swipe (or tap, some IDs tap and swipe but they are only counted as one). It is achievable, because each calendar year we gather academic-year-end-numbers. We, of course, would like to see a gradual rise in numbers each year-end. It is relevant because as a department, we get more funding per rise in our departmental numbers. It is timely because we can measure by the hour, by the day, by the specified days of the week, by the month, and by the year, depending on what data we need.

• Profile photo of Kiranya Chappell Chumtong

A KPI that I often use is the time is takes me to drive from the Temple campus to my work (King of Prussia). This is specific and measurable because I am only timing how long it takes to get from Temple to work using a timer. It is achievable because I can try different routes to get to work faster. It’s relevant because being on time to work is important so I need to know an approximate travel time period to give myself in order to not be late to work. And it’s time-variant because I can measure how long it takes to get to work at different times of the day, and using different measurements of time (minutes, hours, etc.)