Section 003, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 6, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 6, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

53 Responses to Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 6, 2016

• Profile photo of Katherine Braccio

I work part-time at J.Crew, and part of my job is fulfilling online orders. Through our intranet, I can see the items ordered, the customer name, and whether the order was accepted or if it is pending pick from inventory. In spreadsheet format, the field names could be customer name, number of items ordered, full price or markdown, mens or womens, and the amount of that item we have in inventory. Each row would represent a complete order, and a final field could be whether or not that order has been completed and packaged.

• Profile photo of Kashif Hasan Malik

An example of a data-driven service that I use regularly could be Snapchat. Its a stretch but in an excel spreadsheet every row could represent an individual user. Some of the data columns that can be used within this spreadsheet are number of snaps sent within a day, times that snaps were sent at, how many friends they have, location sent at, and who their best friends are.

• one data driven website I frequently use is Netflix. If they were setting up an excel sheet with data I think the rows may contain information on what I have been watching. The columns may contain information on how frequently I watch them, the time or location, and maybe the genre or type of video it is.

• Profile photo of Colin Kelly

A data driven website that I use on a regular basis is Blackboard in order to keep up with how I’m doing in each of my classes. If I were to store the data in a spreadsheet, the rows could be categorized for each specific class that I’m taking. The columns could have information such as the professor’s name, exam grades, assignment grades, attendance, and any other information relevant to how I’m doing in the class.

• Profile photo of Kevin A Moran

I frequently use Spotify to listen to any albums or artists for free. The service may have an extensive user based data record containing rows with headers for what artist, song, or album I listened to. Other information stored in Spotify is then based upon designated related artists and songs that I would listen to in relation to the chosen artists in my user based data. The data would be largely song and artist names.

• Profile photo of Jose X Villanueva

I regularly use Spotify at school, at work, and in the car. In terms of how it is stored in a database, for a row it could contain the name of the song, and the column would be the genre, artist, album, year recorded.

• Profile photo of Akshat A Shah

One data driven website I use is Blackboard to check the syllabuses, see what assignments I need to work on and check grades. If I were to turn it into a spreadsheet, the columns would be homework grades, quiz and exam grades, my attendance and my overall grade in the class. The names of the classes would be in the rows. That is how I would turn the data driven site of blackboard into a spreadsheet.

• Profile photo of Emily A Jacobson

A data driven website I visit regularly is Amazon. I could make spreadsheets on different aspects from items purchased, items related/suggested based on what I have purchased, or items on a wish list. For example a column could be items purchased and the rows could be name of product, price, date order was placed, date order was received, and seller, among many other pieces of data related to the item.

• Profile photo of William G Roman

A data driven service that I frequently use would be Spotify. There are many different playlists available on Spotify that contain a number of songs. Data from Spotify could be stored using a spreadsheet similar to the one we created during the In-Class Exercise 11.1 that we completed on Wednesday. The columns could be listed as Playlist, Song, Artist, etc. The rows would be made up of the playlist names, song names, and artists of the songs.

• Profile photo of Erica Corinne Rudy

A data driven service I use frequently is Instagram. Each row could be a different posting, and the columns could be Username, Date Posted, Time Posted, and the Location (if it was included). Since you don’t have to include a location, some posts may have an “N/A” for that specific column.

• A data-driven service I frequently use is twitter. To display some of the data from this site, on a spreadsheet, rows could display different users and columns could display total number of tweets, number of followers, and number of accounts followed. This could help to summarize the basic information of each twitter account.

• Profile photo of Tae Shin

I used to work part-time at Brother’s Auto Repair. The business used a software called Mitchell Manager, which keeps track of customers and their car repairs. When depicting this information on a spreadsheet, the column will be the individual customers and the rows will consist of their information. The rows can be the car model, the year of the car, manufacturer, the date of repair, and the repairs the customer received.

• Profile photo of Alice Nguyen

A data driven service I normally use is LinkedIn. If I were to store the data on LinkedIn on a spreadsheet, the rows will be the names of my connections. Some of the columns can be what jobs they are currently working and for what company, their majors in college, their interests/hobbies, whether they are a primary or a secondary connection in relations to me, and I can make a column for any extra comments about other notable points of their profile.

• Profile photo of Ashley Charlton

A data driven service I frequently use is Blackboard. If the data on Blackboard was to be displayed in a spreadsheet, the rows could be each class that I am currently taken. The columns of the spreadsheet would include; total grade for the class, assignments, classwork, class participation, and homework. I think “teacher’ could either go in the rows with the class, or be another category put in a column.

• Profile photo of Ryan C Gibbons

A data driven service I use regularly is Nintendo’s online network. Nintendo tracks what games you play online every day and how much time you spend playing. Each row could represent each individual user, and the columns could represent games played, time spent playing, location, and game genre.

• A data-driven service that I use on a regular basis is the NYSE ticker. I use the app on my phone and that thing is filled with data. In the rows would be the 52 week high and low, the stock price, opening and closing price, and the percent change for that current day. In the columns the company name and the company ticker symbol would be displayed.

• Profile photo of Mark Anthony Negro

Since the baseball season started today, one site I use regularly is ESPN’s fantasy baseball site to manage my teams. Putting the data for it into a spreadsheet would be very easy. In rows, there would be the names of all the players. In columns would be the positions, team name, and all of the various stats including homeruns, hits, or strikes.

• Profile photo of Junaid K Farnum

A data-driven service that I use regularly would be the PictureCarePlus program at my job at Walgreens. This data service contains the customers, name, phone numbers, type of photo order, amount of orders, time of order placed, date of order placed…etc. If I wanted to store data for this service in a spreadsheet, the row would contain the names (first and last) of all the customers, then in the columns there would be all of the photo service specifics that I mentioned above in terms of the number of orders and types or orders etc.

• One data driven service that I uses on a regular basis would be an application at work that allows me to access information on customer’s frequent shopper cards. Working part- time as a customer service associate at Giant food store causes me to have to look up customer’s “bonus” cards, adjust their reward points, change the name they have on file, or add in their phone number. If this information where to be organized into a spreadsheet, some of the columns would include bonus card number (which is a 10 digit number), the customer’s name, the city they live in, their telephone number, the amount of reward points that they have, and the date that their bonus card was issued. A spreadsheet could allow me to look at multiple customer profiles at once and compare rewards points if necessary. The program that this application operates in right now does not allow me that luxury =(

• Profile photo of Nancy Nam

I work part time at Ann Taylor’s LOFT and as a means of fulfilling online order we use a system called Domestic Online Merchants (DOM). DOM records and process incoming online orders and list them so we can decide to accept or reject the order base on inshore availability. A row would be an individual order number and some columns would be customer’s name, item’s name, quantity of item, color description, style number, department number and the customer’s address. Another important column would be the decision to reject or accept the order.

• Profile photo of Alexander Somers Greene

A data driven service that I use would be Youtube. You could turn the data for each video into a spreadsheet. The rows could be the titles of the videos. The columns could include the Channel of the video’s creator, duration of the video, categories the video is in, likes, dislikes, views, and number of favorites (hidden but you can view who favorited the video and who did not if you are the original content creator).

• Profile photo of Matthew Major

A common data driven website that I use is the nhl section of espn.com. The data that I am dealing with is statistical data for each team, and each player on those said teams. This actually comes out in a spreadsheet form most of the time. The rows end up being either specific teams or players, and the columns are particular stats. A good example is the standings. You get to see the team name in the row section, ranked from best to worst, and some column headings are GP (games played), W (wins), L (losses), PTS (points), and so on.

• Profile photo of Alexandria M Freeman

A data driven service is one I use while working at an insurance agency the service is called D-Base. This is a service that is a collection of all the costumers information, policies, the employees hours, just about everything that is part of the business. If I had to create a spread sheet the first would be for customers with columns that could be the name of insured, what type of insurance (home/auto), the base premium, renewal/cancellation, if the agent receives commission (if so how much), and yes/no if the paper work is scanned into the system. When it comes to employees this sheet could include hours worked, vacation days, sick days, and pay per hour.

• One data driven site I use is ebay. I can use the information to make spreadsheets about what I purchased. For example in a row I could have the price, time purchased, location it is to be sent to and how many bids were made on that item, while in a column i could have what was purchased.

• Profile photo of David J D'Angelo

A data-driven website i frequently use is eBay. I can use the data from this website to view all of my potential buying options. I mainly use eBay to buy sneakers, and if i were to make a spreadsheet of the data, the row would represent a specific style of sneaker, and the columns would have attributes such as price, condition, shoe size, color, etc.

• Profile photo of Gabriella C Baldini

I work as a trainer at a fitness studio, and we use a data-driven platform called MindBody, where clients can register and pay online for classes, the staff can check and see which clients are in their classes for the day as well as which clients are new, and numerous other functions. If I were to create a spreadsheet for this info, I would make the rows each specific client, and the columns would be things like number of classes taken thus far, class payment package, number of late cancellations, payments due, class times most frequented, age, and injuries (to start with). This would be able to tell me which clients pay on time, don’t cancel late, and even see the most popular class times for the majority of the clients.

• One data driven website I use daily is Facebook. The rows could represent each of my friends. The columns could list different interactions e.g. messages, notifications, tags in posts, etc. Also, the spread sheet would represent a specific time range. Looking at the data, I could visualize which friends I interact with the most, from month to month.

• Profile photo of Joshua J Affainie

An example of a data-driven service that I use regularly could be Snapchat. Each row could be an individual user and the columns can be the number of snaps sent within a day, times that snaps were sent at. How many friends they have, location sent at, and who their best friends are.

• A common data driven website that I use frequently is Blackboard to stay posted on grades and upcoming assignments. The data could easily be turned into a spreadsheet. Each row in the spreadsheet would represent the classes I’m in and the columns could include homework grades, exam grades, quiz grades, project grades, and attendance. The spreadsheet would be very useful in helping me to see how I am doing in all of my classes.

• Profile photo of Xiaoxu Liu

A data driven service I use frequently is Tumblr. If I store the data in a spreadsheet, rows will contain data posted, data re-blogged, and columns will contain my user name, users I’m following, likes, and followers. I think columns may also contain my linked accounts, since Tumblr allows users to have several blogs with one email address.

• I use the Temple Portal multiple times a semester to sign up for classes, and check up on grades. When I look at my grades a row could be a class I took. In that row I could have columns, which could state name and department of the course, which semester I took the class, the grade that I received, and the credit hours that I received in for taking the class.

• Profile photo of Kiranya Chappell Chumtong

I use blackboard on a daily basis, for homework assignments, grades, etc. Each row would represent a different class. Then the columns for each row would break down in announcements, assignments, quizzes, and grades.

• A data driven website I use often is WhoSampled.com. On the site, contributors create a page for certain songs, mostly hip hop songs, and then list the names and specific portions of the songs they sampled. For example, if you search for the song “Juicy” by Biggie Smalls, WhoSampled would tell you that the song samples Mtume’s 1983 hit, “Juicy Fruit,” and that the sample can be found 2:03 minutes into the original song. I think it would be really a interesting idea for a certain artist to have his own spreadsheet where each row would be a song of his, and the columns would include fields such as the artist they sampled, the genre of music that they sampled, and how much of their song was made up of samples. I think this could lead to really interesting analysis on what the most popular artists and genres are to sample when creating hip hop.

• Profile photo of Elena K Cipparone

One data-driven service I use daily is Blackboard. It stores my courses and grades. Each row would indicate an individual assignment and columns would include the grade, assignment title, assignment weight, subject, total points, etc.

• Profile photo of Shuyue Ding

I use blackboard regularly. If I want to store data in a spreadsheet. I think I will use rows represent different classes, and I use columns to represents the average score of different types of assignment and also exam. Then I can see the comparison between different classes, and see how I did.

• Profile photo of Sakeena A McLain-Cook

A data driven website I often use is Youtube. A row would be an individual video. A column could be the artist/ producer of video, channel the video is on, number of subscribers to the channel, number of views, another video often viewed after this video, and number of likes and dislikes.

• Profile photo of Brittney Michelle Pescatore

I regularly read the Wall Street Journal, so I downloaded the app for my phone. The app contains all of the articles that are printed in the journal as well as the articles on the website. In a spread sheet, the rows could represent the article title and the columns could represent the name of the author, the number of views, and the category to which the article belongs.

• Profile photo of Jordan Timothy Motter

For a company like Amazon, each row could be a different order number. the columns for these orders are endless. They would need to store the customer’s information, the name of the item, where the order is being shipped, etc… there are plenty of things that we could categorize the orders with. we could also use user information as a column, and use the user’s information, such as credit card info, address, and order history.

• A data driven site I use a lot is netflix. Transferring the data to excel could be categorized by genre, title, and Movie/TV. A deeper categorization would be columns such as Actors, directors, and sub-genres.

• Profile photo of Jake Montana

A data driven website I use everyday is YouTube. If I were to store data from this website onto a spreadsheet, the columns would contain the channel name, views per channel, likes, and dislikes. The rows would contain the name of the video appearing in subscription inboxes.

• Profile photo of Erin Elizabeth Kelly

A data driven sit that I use often is Facebook. I would put the name’s of people that I actually interact with on the columns line. Then I would put personalized things on the rows. For example, number of pictures, status updates, posts that they commented on, and posts that they commented on. In addition, I would probably included “check ins” or places that the people I interact with posted. I think that would be interesting. I might actually enjoy it more because I would be seeing things that are actually relevant to me. On the other hand, I might get a little more because I do not actually communicate with many people on Facebook.

• An example i would use would be the iTunes store, since i use it almost every single day. The data on the spreadsheet columns would consist of name, the time the song was released and how popular it is. The rows would consist of the number of tracks on that playlist.

• An example that I use is Fantasy Football during the NFL season. If this data were in a spreadsheet the columns would be players names. The rows would consist of their position and stats such as yards, touchdowns, interceptions and tackles. These stats would help me pick which players to draft and trade for.

• I work at J.Crew and regularly use a data-driven service. If I converted the data to spreadsheet form, the columns would be customer name, number of items, price and markdown, mens and women, and the amount of items we have in our inventory. Each row would represent an order, and a final field would be if the order was sent or packaged.

• Profile photo of Kennedy Frances Price

A data-driven service that I use regularly is Amazon.com. In order to store the data into an Excel spreadsheet I would use customer names as the rows. Some columns would be order type, product, price, etc. This could be used to organize orders and see the products or types of products that customers are regularly buying.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is Facebook. Each row in the spreadsheet would represent the names of the people that are in my friends list and have added. Some of the data columns would be the types of things on my news feed, posts of videos, photos, types of notifications, and number of messages.

• Profile photo of Prince Patel

I am very interested in Automobile industry. One of the data driven services could be the collection of data at the auto show rooms. For example if i would be working with Land Rover, in the data spreadsheet i would include the columns like customer name, customer budget before buying a car, customer’s choice before coming to the showroom, car model that the customer buys, down payment provided at the offer, total price at which the car is sold, column for each customization add ons. This simple data sheet can help make manager make big business related decisions.

• A data-driven service I frequently use is Facebook. If I convert Facebook data into spreadsheet. Each row represent the names of my friends I regularly interact with. And the column would be their feedback, popularity of their posts and sharing.

• Facebook is probably my most frequently used data-service. Each row could represent each Facebook account. Columns could represent the amount of people I am friends with, how many photos I have, notifications, messages, new friend requests, and so on.

• Profile photo of Michael Lawrence Carey

Twitter would be by far one of the best options. You can have each row represent the user you follow, and each column could represent how many tweets they’ve put out, how many they’ve retweeted, and how many they’ve favorited

• A data driven source that I use is Netflix. If it’s data were in an excel worksheet, the rows would represent the movie and show titles. The columns would represent things like genre, actors, running time, directors, name of the production company, and a whole bunch of other data associated with movies and shows. It would actually be pretty interesting to see what that would look like.

• I often use an app on my phone called stat zone. Whether it’s during the game or after, stat zone provides live data about every game going on, with everything from completed passes to minutes played. The rows in a spreadsheet would be the players name and the columns could be the players team, their position, passes completed, pass completion ratio, shots taken, shots on goal, shot accuracy, goals, shot to goal ratio, successful tackles, failed tackles, tackle success ratio, successful dribbles, failed dribbles, dribble success ratio, assists, minutes played, minutes played to chance creation ratio, along with many more KPIS in the app that could become columns

• A data driven source I use is Apple Music. Within an excel sheet the columns would represent the artist and the rows would represent that artist songs. This would be thousands of columns of rows.