Section 003, Instructor: Shana Pote

Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 13, 2016

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 13, 2016. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

49 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 13, 2016

• Profile photo of Elena K Cipparone

I think the most important take-away from this course was to see how often we interact with data and how important data has become. As we look forward to post-graduation plans, I think this course demonstrated that we will all use data on a daily basis, regardless of our major. I would tell a future MIS0855 scholar to take the course and make sure they are absorbing all of the knowledge being offered, as it will prove to be extremely useful to them in the near future.

• Profile photo of Tae Shin

The most important takeaway is to understand how important data is and how much it affects our daily lives. First, I believe data analysis is going to continue to improve and the way we use data in the future will be very different. Therefore, I would not explain to a future MIS0855 scholar about any data software or systems because they may have a more advanced system. However, I will tell them the fundamental purpose of data analysis; which is to organize data and present it in a way that the user can easily understand the solutions from the analysis.

• Profile photo of Ashley Charlton

In my opinion, I think the most important takeaway from this course was seeing how much we interact with data and what we can do with the data we obtained. This course taught me that data is everywhere and that we interact with it in some way everyday. It also taught me how to use different programs such as, Tableau, Excel, and Piktochart to organize and display the data that I am analyzing.

• Profile photo of Colin Kelly

Personally, I think that the most important takeaway was learning a variety of different techniques to analyze data. This course introduced many ways to get deep information from data sets by managing to use programs Tableau, which allow us to make a many different graphs in order to see data in different ways as well as Excel to be able to filter and search for specific parts of data. Now that I’ve realized that data is everywhere in our daily lives, I think it’s great that I’ll be able to analyze it and go in depth with it even more.

• Profile photo of Katherine Braccio

The most important takeaway from this course is how much you learn about data and not necessarily how much you learn how to work with data. The weekly readings provided very real-world, practical examples of how data interacts with all of us in multifaceted ways every day. I never realized how much data I personally interacted with, especially in terms of social media. I really enjoyed our in class activities and assignments, as I learned why certain functions work and in which ways various functions are applicable through those assignments. This course will benefit me in the long run, as I will have a base knowledge of complex data analytics tools and applications in the MIS world.

• Profile photo of Jacob Hacker

The most important thing that I can take away from this course is to not take information as true at first glance. This class has helped me become more skeptical of data and online articles. I think this is a great thing because the saying “don’t believe everything on the internet” is extremely importance. I’ve been able to effectively question information I have been receiving and determine its effectiveness since starting this class. When talking about this class I would tell other people about the sheer volume of information that data can teach an individual and how prevalent it is in today’s society.

• Profile photo of Jose X Villanueva

I think the most important takeaway from this course for me is how important data is in our daily lives and the many ways we can affect it and how it affects us. Another important takeaway has to be how the smallest mistakes can skew or drastically change a result or analysis. The course teaches you to be through in an analysis and to look for mistakes

• Profile photo of Akshat A Shah

I think the most important takeaway was that data is everywhere in our daily lives and it how it affects us. Also, it shows how the data affects the decisions we make. If I had to explain this class to a scholar, I would tell them that they would learn how to interpret data into information and knowledge. Also, how to understand data visualization and meaning behind them.

• Profile photo of Kashif Hasan Malik

The most important takeaway from this class is that data is everywhere and it can be manipulated in many different ways. It can be shown in different amounts of visualizations and tables to project a certain view point or outliers. Therefore, I would describe this class as a way to explain data in a sense where it relates back to society and manipulating the data to show what exactly you or anyone else is looking for.

• Profile photo of Matthew Major

In my opinion, the most important takeaway is to do your homework and research on your data and find out the credibility of it. In my opinion, it is common for someone to simply trust data they are given, which can cause big problems in your analysis. Not all data sets are free of bias etc. One thing I would tell to a fellow scholar is that it really opens your eyes to the same topic I just mentioned. You will never look at data in the same way again, and that is a good thing. Always be skeptical of your data!

• I think the most important takeaway from this class is to view data with a skeptic eye. Learning about “dirty” data really made me realize how many problems there can be with data and also the biases that could be associated with it. If I had to explain this class to a future MIS0855 scholar, I would say this class was about the collection and analysis of data with real-world applications.

• Profile photo of Alexandria M Freeman

In my opinion the most important takeaway from this class is how important data is in our daily lives and how it affects our lives. I had learned that data is a part of my life in more ways than one such as in social media. The data I produce on social media can change what will show up on my feed and advertised for me. I also learned how mistakes in data can have large consequences like the Lehman Brothers sale where 179 toxic deals had to be be bought based off of hidden Excel cells that should have been deleted. I have learned now how to be more aware of the data I am using and how to correctly manipulate it. For a future MIS0855 scholar, I would say this course is that they will learn how data is more than just numbers on a spread sheet. What is contained that sheet can be interpreted into knowledge that can help them make decisions and conclusions about real life events. Also, how to question the data they come across and how credible it is to be used in their lives.

• I think that the most important takeaway from this course is that data is everywhere and this course teaches how to view it. This course teaches how we can learn from data. Data can be manipulated and tools like Tableau can help us make visuals that can turn endless data into summarized and concise visualizes that can help guide in decision making.

• I think the major takeaway from this course is that data is everywhere and plays a major role in our daily lives sometimes without us even knowing it! Data is essential to gaining information and formulating knowledge so clearly it is extremely important to our lives. I would tell a future MIS0855 scholar that this course is about diving deep into data and understanding what it is and how to best analyze and display it in order to create accurate, easy to navigate, and useful information and knowledge.

• Profile photo of Kevin A Moran

The most important lesson I can take away from this class is that data and its analysis have a power otherwise unnoticed in my life. The capabilities of data analysis and drawing conclusions based upon large quantities of otherwise useless information to human analysis is the forefront of most business and tech fields. If an individual like myself wishes to graduate college with relevancy to the workforce a deep grasp of data analysis is necessary and most useful.

• Profile photo of Jake Montana

In my opinion, the most important lesson I have taken away from this course is that data is everywhere and has a major impact on our lives. Data is important to learn about because of its power after analysis and the decisions that can be made according to our analysis of the data. Also, with technology constantly growing as we move into the future, things like insurance companies changing their rates on a daily basis is one of the major changes that could happen. Overall, knowledge about how data works and could be evaluated will help me in the future and I would tell a future MIS0855 scholar that this course will also help them deeply understand how data works, how to analyze the data, and properly display that information and knowledge.

• Profile photo of William G Roman

I believe that the most important takeaway from this course is to recognize how much data we interact with on a daily basis. It is also important to understand how data analysis leads to decision making which impacts our lives. This course showed me how important data is in our world today. I also learned about different ways to analyze and understand data. I believe that this course can teach a future student how to recognize the importance of data, and how to make informed decisions based on their knowledge of the analyzed data.

• Before taking this course, I didn’t have a conscious picture of just how much data is involved in everyday life. Now as I go about my day, I see things differently and more often in terms of “data.” It has been quite eye-opening just how often we use and interact with data multiple times a day. I have always been interested in data analysis, but now that I’ve gotten to actually delve into the processes involved, I’m even more interested in it than before! If I had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, I would tell them that they would learn not only what data is and how often we interact with it, but also how data is created, analyzed, and utilized, including the limitless ways it can be used.

• I think one of the biggest takeaways of this MIS course if to realize that big data is extremely prevalent in our lives. Even if we don’t recognize it our lives are heavily influenced by data. Another thing I’ve learned is how to analyze that data and extract information useful and relevant to us.

• Profile photo of Jason Ly

I would say that data is everywhere. I now look at my surroundings in a totally different way and because of this class, decided to make MIS as my major. What i would say about this class is it shows the importance of data and how useful it is to our daily lives, how to use the information given, and apply it to excel and also tableau. Be prepared for a bunch of charts.

• Profile photo of Erica Corinne Rudy

I think the biggest takeaway for me was being able to utilize Excel and Tableau to transform and understand data. We are always around data, even without knowing it, and in most jobs there will be some type of data usage, so being able to use the data was the biggest takeaway for me. I would tell a future MIS0855 scholar that the class can be as easy or as difficult as you make it; all the work in-class and out is necessary to understanding the material. Also, do all the work on time!

• The most important takeaway from this course is to be able to analyze many forms of data and identify the strengths and weaknesses of all types of data. Knowing that there is so much bias that exists in data tells us that we should come up with more ways to categorize data by using the right tools. If I had to explain to a future scholar what MIS0855 course is about, I would tell them that there is so much data that is stored, cleaned, and organized using the technology we have today such as Tableau and Excel. It is also important to understand where to look for the proper resources of data that gives more accurate information.

• In my perspective the most important takeaway from this course was the excel work that we did on cleaning data. Upon graduating I plan on being a financial analyst for my first few years on Wall Street so being able to analyze and clean data effectively and efficiently will definitely give me an advantage against my competition. If I had to explain this course to an upcoming student i would briefly say that in MIS 0855 you will learn the difference between data, knowledge, and information;become efficient in excel; make a few infographics; and learn how to clean data and analyze data.

• Profile photo of Sakeena A McLain-Cook

I think the most important take away from this semester was learning how to look for outliers and possibly messed up data in a data set. I feel that this skill will help me in my future career. I would say that MIS0855 was about recognizing data in your everyday life and learning how to analyze it and make sense of it to come to different conclusions.

• Profile photo of Alice Nguyen

I think the most important takeaway from this course for me is how to work with data-based programs. I have rudimentary knowledge in Microsoft, but this course is the first I have heard of Tableau, Hadoop, Piktochart and et cetera. Because it is inevitable that I will work with data in my future career, I think it is important to have a run down of major data analysis software and some needed practice in order to navigate my way around the workplace later on. If I have to explain this course to someone else, I would say this is a wonderful entry-level course for any beginner who wants to seriously consider MIS as a focus of their academics and career.

• I believe that the most important takeaway from this course is to understand how important data is and how it impacts everyday life. Everyday we interact with data and most of the time we don’t even realize it. This class has presented me with a number of ways we can interpret, analyze, and present data. Also, I have learned to use very useful tools such as Excel, Tableau, and Piktochart to analyze and organize data sets. Finally, I would tell a future MIS scholar that this class is a very useful class for all business majors because every business student will have to use data in their career.

• Profile photo of Jordan Timothy Motter

The most important takeaway from this course for me was gaining a better understanding of data and how often we use it. Data visualization tools like Tableau help to better interpret this data and I’m glad that I got an opportunity to learn how to use this tool. This understanding will help me not only in my business career, but in my personal life as well!

• The most valuable lesson is the application of data in our daily lives. In the future, I expect almost all decisions to rely on data and intuition will be less valuable. To sum up my thoughts, my greatest takeaway is – I am now aware of the extent data has on decisions. MIS 0855 teaches about the basics of data and its many applications e.g. business, daily life, elections.

• Profile photo of Michael Lawrence Carey

I believe the biggest takeaway to this course is that Data really is EVERYWHERE around you. Everything from the people your surrounded by, to the phone you use everyday is all data and is constantly changing by the minute. Using the programs we have used in class such as Tableau, help us to look at these data changes in a more appealing way to those who are more inclined to learn visually then by auditory. My knowledge for EXCEL has no doubt increased dramatically ever since i began this course.

The best way to describe this class, is that you are visually creating data to use and studying just how deep Data and Metadata really is. It is not just simply numbers and letters. It is so much more than that.

• Profile photo of Shuyue Ding

I think the most take away from the class is how to understand data and get useful information from our daily life, because data is all around us, like everywhere in our life. I would say this course is about understand and be able to use data to a future MIS0855 scholar, and to be sure, at least understand bias, and be able to avoid it in the future.

• I believe the most important parts of this course that I will take with me in my future ventures are the new programs I learnt to use, as well as learning new tricks on programs, like Excel, that I already use. A program like Tableau, and to a lesser degree Piktochart, will benefit me in future presentations I give for both class and work. I would recommend students pay attention to the functions of these programs as I feel they will benefit from exposure to these products.

• My most important take away from this class is how much more powerful a visualization is rather than just the raw data. A well created visual can give it’s audience lots of information and knowledge in a quick and efficient way, while looking at the raw numbers would take days to extract the same insight. The best way to describe this class is that a student will be using programs like Tableau and Excel to extract specific knowledge and insight about a group of data, and presenting that data in a clear, easy to understand way.

• Profile photo of Joshua J Affainie

My most important take away from this class is how much more powerful a visualization is rather than just raw data.A well created visual gives the audience a lot of information and knowledge in a quick way, looking at raw numbers would take days to extract the same insight. The best way to describe this class is that a student will be using tableau and excel for their knowledge to easily understand the data sets.

• Profile photo of Mark Anthony Negro

I learned way more than I originally expected but the most important takeaway from this course was the impact of data. I never realized how much of an impact it has and how it really is everywhere. Yet, an even more important takeaway would be making my major MIS, which is very possible. I would describe this class as an insightful introduction into the world of data. MIS sounds like a complicated turn off but this is helpful and relevant for everyone, no matter the major.

• Profile photo of Kennedy Frances Price

I believe that the most important takeaway from this course was how to create data visualizations out of massive data sets to more quickly come to conclusions and make decisions. This knowledge and skill of data manipulation will be very useful in the business world, no matter the type of work one goes into. I would describe this class as a course that teaches the skills to take a large data set and manipulate it into something that almost anyone can understand. The knowledge gained in this class can be applied to our daily lives.

• Profile photo of Nancy Nam

For me, I think working with data and excel and the experiences from combining these two will stay with me as I go forward in the business school. Prior to data science I can honestly say I felt anxious every time a recruiter would mention working with excel. I just never really worked with the software and hence did my best to avoid it when doing past assignments. I never knew excel can do so much honestly! Technical stuff has never been my forte but i think seeing data raw and organized with software like tablaue and excel has definitely made me more comfortable.

• Profile photo of Kenneth Warren Wren

I think the most important thing I’ve taken from this course is how to use data in many aspects of business and life. Knowing the difference between good and bad data is also very important. Data will be a part of any field I go into, so having a foundation will help me in the long run.

• Profile photo of Brittney Michelle Pescatore

The most important take away from this course was learning how to analyze data through relevant mediums such as Excel and Tableau. Data analytics plays a huge role in every job industry and can be useful to everyone. For me, this class helped me to decide on a clear career path. I want to work with marketing and data and I now know how I can link the two fields together to get results. Next semester, I am taking the next level, MIS 2101,so I feel as if I may have an advantage because I am already familiar with data analytics.

• Profile photo of David J D'Angelo

In my opinion, the biggest takeaway that I got from this course was how much more effective data visualizations and infographics are, as opposed to actual numbered data. Visualizations summarize the data in a quick and easy way for the users to understand what is going on within the data. I would tell a future MIS 0855 scholar that this class gives you the basic understand about data and all of its components. I’d let them know that this class will help in many other courses and work opportunities.

• My most important take- away from this course would probably be understanding that data is everywhere, all around us, and in forms that we thought were not considered to be “data”. Before entering this course, I always thought of data to be a large jumble of numbers, letters, and symbols all mixed together in an indecipherable sequence. This view was usually what I initially though of when the word “data” was mentioned. However, I would explain to a future MIS0855 scholar that this course is about identifying all of the things that retain actual data characteristics and understanding how data becomes information. I would ensure that they are able to understand the processes in with which data becomes the usable information that we depend on day to day.

• Profile photo of Kiranya Chappell Chumtong

The most important take-away in my point of view if how prevalent data is in our everyday lives, and how it is used in almost any field (not just business) so it is very important to know and understand what makes up data and how data interacts with each other and the world around us. I would tell a future MIS scholar that this course is all about data and its purpose in our everyday lives, and how versatile and plentiful data is.

• I think the most important take away from this course is that it provides hand on experiences and activities about data analytics. It clearly educates some of the basic and important Excel and Tableau tactics that can be very useful while analyzing, cleaning and integrating data. The assignments provides practice and builds up confidence for working with data. The class has done a very good job about educating and informing major as well as minute data analytic concepts that many highly educated and trained people tend to miss out. I would definitely recommend this course to person working in any field and especially for MIS majors as it provides good taste of one of the wide range of MIS concepts.

• I think that the most important take away from this course is understanding data. This means understanding what makes something data and that there are various types of data. It is always important to understand that data is everyone, and that sometimes it can be skewed. Personally, I will probably use what I learned in MS excel more than anything, I learned a great deal about MS excel in this class. I think that is I will use that more.

• Profile photo of Alexander Somers Greene

In my opinion, the most important take away from MIS0855 is the combination of facts of how often we interact with data in our day to day lives and knowing how all of this data can be manipulated and misrepresented. Having this knowledge allows us to recognize misrepresented data in our day to day lives and makes us now think more critically off statistics that we view on the news.
    If i had to describe data science to another person i would summarize it like this; Data Science teaches you about the what data is, how we obtain it, how we convert it to knowledge, and how we represent and clean it.

• What I have taken away most from this course is the understanding of how data can be recorded from all aspects of our lives. Data is not just relevant in the business world within finances and numbers, but in psychology, media, politics, etc. I know I am definitely not the most knowledgable when it comes to data, but after taking this class I can say I now hold a deeper understanding of it.

• I think the most important takeaway is the ability to connect all the data we have visually. A picture is worth a thousand words and it speaks volumes with data behind it. If I had to say anything to somebody who is about to take this class I would tell them that it’s the future!

• Profile photo of Junaid K Farnum

I would say the most important takeaway from this course is learning about the Tableau software. Learning how to use data from excel spreadsheets and importing them to visualize data will prove rather useful for future classes. I believe that this aspect can help interpret, and project data in a way that allows audiences to view data more easily.

• The most important thing I got from this class is obtaining knowledge on how to delegate data and analysis data in both a business and home setting. This ability can potentially help me in both the work place and make life easier when it comes to reviewing products and services.

• The most important takeaway that I received from this class, was learning the Tableau software. If I had to explain to a future scholar was this course was about, I would tell that scholar that this class is about creating and examining data visualizations to arrive at a specific insight. I would also inform the scholar that this class helps you get comfortable with using the Excel program.