Section 003, Instructor: Ermira Zifla

Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 19, 2017

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 19, 2017. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS0855 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

39 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by April 19, 2017

• I think there are three most important takeaways from this class. The first includes, getting a better understanding of excel and what the program has to offer. Second, working within tableau and the different ways to display data. Lastly, the overall concept of data, I did not know anything about metadata or big data before taking the class. These are tools that I feel are important for life beyond college.

• My most important takeaways were learning how to use Excel and Tableau, as I think these will be valuable skills to have when searching for jobs later on. Another important takeaway is simply gaining knowledge about data in general, and gaining a better understanding of how to work with and trust it. If I had to explain to a future student, I would say this class is about learning about the types of data, how data works, and how to work with and understand data yourself.

• Profile photo of Max Snyder

My most important take away from this class would be how to properly use Excel. Since my major is accounting I believe there is a chance that I will be using excel in order to create spreadsheets for maintaining balances, so leaning how to use this program effectively will allow me to increase my efficiency. If I had to explain what this course is about to a future student I would say it is about understand the process of taking raw data and converting it into useful information, then taking that information and organizing it for analysis.

• Profile photo of Keerthana Rachamadugu

My most important takeaway from this class was understanding and being able to navigate through Tableau. I though Tableau was a very insightful and beneficial program to understand because it creates such cool and creative visualizations that I can use in the future. I would tell a future scholar that this course is about the fundamentals of understanding data. This course provides general knowledge about how to extract data and make sense of it into meaningful information. The course also helps students understand the major role data has in businesses today.

• Profile photo of James Dean

My biggest takeaway from our Data Science class is that I now have a better idea just how big a part data plays in our lives. The vocabulary and concepts I have learned in this class without a doubt will benefit me both in future classes, and my field of work. This class also introduced me to Tableau. Tableau will allow me to expand my options in presenting data past what I have used previously in Excel and Access, in addition to adding a multitude of better metrics. This course was about learning the various ways data is incorporated in the world today. How to collect, extract, organize, and display said data so that it can be of use to us and others.

• Profile photo of Tyler McCaw

The most important takeaway from this class for me will be how to use Excel and Tableau in order to make graphs and info graphics in order to make business decisions. I think that will be a very important tool to have when I am in the field of accounting when I graduate. I think the accounting industry is moving towards more data analytics and it’s important to understand how to use these different systems to make better decisions. If I had to explain this course to someone, I would say this course is about knowing how to use data in various ways and make sure the data you use is accurate so you can analyze it.

• I believe that the most essential part of this class is discovering the importance of data and how it plays a part in our lives. From our phone applications to how we live our actual lives, data has a way of forcing our hands on the decisions that we make, for example, the things we wear on a daily basis is in correlation to data pertaining to weather. If I had to explain this class to a scholar I would note that the class is centered around data realization, analysis, and development. Excel and Tableau are essential to the presentation of the data in which will be scattered throughout the class. Becoming more aware of data outside of the class environment will happen naturally and aid you in your ability to delve into data and think about it in depth.
    .

• The most important takeaway from this course was learning how to use excel more and how to use tableau. I also think learning about how data is used in the world and how much data there is. I never knew data from platforms such as Facebook, is sold to other companies. If I had to explain this class to a future MIS0855 scholar, I would tell them you learn how to use a data software, tableau, and excel. You learn how data is used and why it is so important to companies.

• The most important thing I have taken away from this course is the process of how data is processed especially to be put to use, for instance, by a company. I believe that your work experience has helped add a real-world aspect to the class

• The biggest takeaways from this class is how important data really is and applying data with the depth and power of useful computer programs such as Tableau and Microsoft Excel. Excel is something I use at work at I was able to learn a deeper understanding about the data that goes into it. V-Lookup and Match are tools I can incorporate into my job to make the projects go a bit more efficient. As I continue my career, Excel is going to play an even bigger role in what I do as far as managing player databases, and keeping order to all of my work. Tableau is something I had never heard of until this class and I am glad I was able to grasp the basics over the past few months. Tableau allows me to give my data a place to visualize it all and make my work neater.

• Profile photo of Kahleem M Wilkins

My most important take away was learning how to use a new application like Tableau and learning additional skills within Excel. For a future scholar interested in taking Mis 0855, be prepared to engage in class discussions and give input on whatever topic that is set forth during the particular class. Also retain the knowledge you learn because it will be helpful towards your future in the business world.

• Profile photo of Parth B Patel

The most important takeaway from this class was being exposed to Tableau. Also getting exposed to different things in excels like macros or pivot tables. Learning of different technologies is always a great to increase value to a prospective employer.

• Profile photo of Memoona J Khan

The most important takeaway from this class is the new applications you are taught, like tableau, pivot tables, and new ways to utilize excel. I gained a much better understanding of visualizations and how to assess the proper information needed for data. For future MIS0855 scholars, I would say you learn a great amount of the importance of data and how to use it. Also, how many software’s and applications learned in this class help you in understand. Anything learned in this class will be helpful in your future. Data is a very important aspect in business and learning how to use it and visualize it properly will always be an advantage.

• Profile photo of Emma Girandola

I believe that my most important takeaway from this class would be learning how to use Tableau. As an economics major I am very appreciative of learning how to use Tableau and I will now have the basic skills for the rest of my career. If I am ever asked to demonstrate my knowledge of Tableau I will be able to navigate through the software. For future MIS0855 scholars, this class teaches you the in and outs of data. It gives you a wide range of ways to gather, manipulate, and use data. It is extremely beneficial to those who will be working with data in the future.

• The most important thing that i took away from this class would be analyzing data and working with the tableau software. I learned how to look at data and make it into something meaningful in tableau such as making info-graphics and charts displaying data results. Tableau is a great tool to learn how to utilize because many business use it to study data and find out how they can increase their numbers in specific fields.

• The most important thing that i took away from this class would be analyzing data and working with the tableau software. I learned how to look at data and make it into something meaningful in tableau such as making info-graphics and charts displaying data results. Tableau is a great tool to learn how to utilize because many business use it to study data and find out how they can increase their numbers in specific fields. For future MIS0855 students i would like to say that this class is a great learning experience that teaches you important software that is vital in the business industry.

• Profile photo of Johnny Luu

The three most important takeaways from this course were learning how to use Excel, Tableau, and understanding data and it’s analysis. Even though the class did not go super in-depth about the two applications, I still learned a lot and am now able to use those skills for future work. In regards to data analysis, I now understand that there’s many ways to make mistakes and false conclusions so when reading articles from News Outlets I know to take what they’re saying with a “grain of salt”.

• Profile photo of Amy Huynh

The most important takeaways from this course was learning how to use Tableau and Excel. Before taking this course, I had no idea what Tableau was and I did not know how to use Excel at all. What mainly enabled me to get a hang of using them were the in-class assignments with provided instructions. And from using Tableau and Excel, I learned how to organize and analyze data. Also, another takeaway was learning how important data is and learning about the complications that come with data. Prior to this course, I was ignorant of how dirty data is and how it can be contaminated with errors. This has made me more aware of the data I’m reading/analyzing, and to not always trust what is presented to me.

• From my perspective the most important takeaway from this class is the use of Tableau and Excel. As we are in the school of business it is very important that we have basic knowledge and skills in these tools, not only for our curriculum but because we will be using them throughout our careers and this class has made clear the most important aspects of both. I found this as the most important aspect of the class because we live in a business world that is constantly changing mostly in the technology area and therefore the tools we use change.

• I would say this course is about learning how to analyze and utilize data. Data Science is useful information for all people with any major to understand. It helps students understand what data is, how it is apart of our everyday lives, and why it is useful. For me, the most important takeaway of the class was applying data to real life scenarios and understanding how to use tableau and excel to analyze data. Prior to this class, I had worked with excel and had never worked with tableau. I now feel that I have a relatively good sense of how to use both and the potential they have with analyzing and using data.

• Profile photo of Walter Kirby

My biggest takeaway from this class is how big of a role and how big of an effect big data plays in our lives. Using Tableau and Excel really helped me understand the purpose of displaying data for consumers of the data to visualize. Although I had worked with Excel in the past, this semester has really allowed me to understand the full meaning of Excel and all the interactive formulas and other things that Excel has to offer. I had never worked with Tableau before, but I found it to be an extremely interesting and useful resource to display everything in an easy-to-see way from an Excel file. The graphs and tables were easy to compute and the ultimate result was an easy graph or table to compare and contrast two or more important ideas. If I had to tell someone what this course was about, I would probably inform that person that the class is all about sifting through data and trying to make it as simple as possible so that mistakes are not made in interpreting the data.

• Profile photo of Alison Kline

The most important takeaway from this course for me is the importance of big data. I never realized before taking this class how much big data is present in my every day life. It is present in purchase transactions that I make, websites, apps, social media, and much more. Being able to understand, analyze, and interpret big data is a very important skill that I am excited to delve more into as I continue through college and life. The practical uses of Excel and Tableau are also very important, basic skills that I feel will assist me in other classes and in the workplace in the future.

• Profile photo of Lily Heinemann

I think one of the most important takeaways from this course for me, personally, was that it greatly sparked my interest in MIS, so much so, in fact, that it made me want to declare a minor in MIS. Data Science is definitely important in everyday life, especially with all of the current data technologies. The course is about understanding data in our day to day lives and how we as individuals can use it, as well as companies. Understanding how Tableau and Excel work is very important for visualizing and analyzing data and understanding how data and its constantly changing ways.

• Profile photo of Robin Goetz

I think the most important takeaway from this course was the hands on experience with tableau. It is great to find yourself finding all these meaningful insights from an excel sheet that has thousands of rows. Further, the course enabled me to get a basic understanding of what data is and how I can use it to help myself to learn more about the digitalized world I live in. I would explain Data science like this: MIS0855 is a course that uses a hands on approach to introduce you to the extremely interesting field of data science. You will learn what data is, what it means to businesses and our world in general. Further, you will learn how to transform big amounts of data into meaningful insights with the help of tableau.

• Profile photo of Jibreel Murray

Tableau as a tool is definitely the most important takeaway from this course. Learning how to organize data sets in different visualizations will help me in future classes and in projects and roles throughout my career. Tableau is a fairly easy tool to know how to use and will be important to know how to use in the future. I would describe Data Science as a class where we learn the basics of what data is and how it can be applied to the real world. We do many projects and exercises in class to solidify concepts that we learn on manipulating data. You learn how to put data in a format that can then be easily visualized and analyzed.

• I think the most important takeaway from this course was becoming more familiar and more useful with excel. Since being able to successfully use excel is generally a skill most jobs with any computer element require, this course is definitely worthwhile for anyone trying to better their skill with excel. If i had to explain this course to a future scholar, I would say that the course is about learning multiple different ways to input, interpret, and analyze data. It is also very practical and helpful for learning how to make data more interactive and come to life with the use of tableau and other softwares.

• Profile photo of Luke Greenley

I believe that the most important takeaway from this course was learning multiple tools to analyze data sets like Tableau and Excel while also learning about the data itself. Its descriptive properties and knowing what it represents is vital to proper analysis, and maintaining an thorough data dictionary will help to facilitate the process. If I were to describe this class to another student, I would recommend it because this class is a valuable asset to developing data analysis skills, and has very interesting material and examples.

• Takeaways from the class are tableau and use of excel. These two programs enabled me to compare and organize data accurately. The class is a great intro to what MIS is all about. Still has the business logic not much programming in my opinion.

• Profile photo of Ellen Gbeyeh Wiah

One of the most important takeaways from this class is the use of excel and tableau. Before this class I had a basic knowledge about excel and absolutely no idea what tableau was, now I have a bit more extensive knowledge about how to use excel and some of the various function such as vlookup and the match which I think is a valuable skill to have in today’s business world. As for tableau, I know what it is and can actually input data and create calculated fields without help.

• I received several important lessons from this course.

1. I learned a little bit about Microsoft excel as well as tableau, and while I only learned the basics, I now have a foundation that I can build on.

2. I learned to a proper way to format and analyze data, which will help greatly with my major.

3. I got to use tableau, a program I didn’t even know existed until this semester, and I am honestly considering buying it for myself in the future.

I would tell a future MIS student that this course was a great way to learn about some of the ways by which people analyze data. While you do not look at big data, you learn how to clean data, organize, and how to make your own. You also get to use tableau (which I already saved the codes to my email). Lastly, I’d say that if someone wanted to do research and wasn’t a business or MIS major, this class is like the part two to a research stat class, it’s essential.

• Personally, the important takeaway from this course was the exposure to working with actual data sets. I believe that this was fundamental to the learning process because it took a step away from the conceptual understanding of data and facilitated hands-on involvement with data. This aspect of the course helped to show that data is not only just a concept to be discussed, but also is an accessible tool for anyone to use. I would explain this course as an introduction to data, its importance, and its capabilities coupled with first-hand experience with the usefulness of data in business processes, analytics, and problem-solving.

• Profile photo of Moeed Faisal

The most important takeaway from this class is an understanding of data and the ability to be skeptical of misleading or bad data and misleading or bad visualizations of data. Through the learning of programs like excel and tableau we come to intimately understand data and it’s uses, we come to understand the power that comes with working with data and how that power can be used in manipulative manners. By taking this class, you are preparing yourself for the big data takeover happening, you are preparing yourself to work with it and also to protect yourself from it. We talk about current events and how that connects to data collection and analysis which helps show the effect of data on our lives in the now. We don’t get too technical because it is a gened after all, but it’s more in depth than other geneds, it feels like you’re actually learning something useful.

• Profile photo of Whitney Libebe

The most important takeaway for me was to never take something for its face value. For every piece of information you receive, or service you use, it is important to analyzes the positives, risks, agenda, as well as methods. If i had to explain to someone what MIS0855 was about, I would say it is about efficiently analyzing and presenting data, as well as some of the flaws in data methods.

• I think the most valuable thing I took from this class is learning how to use excel. I think that will come in huge help as I try to build my clothing company. I’m going to start using excel to keep our data on every sale we make, so we can see trends in what’s selling and what’s stuck on the shelf. I also think I grew up a lot as a student in this class. In the beginning of the semester I didn’t really want to learn the material because an MSP and STHM major, but I figured out that no matter what you take or what you do in school it’ll always help you get better no matter the circumstances. That’s exactly what I did, now I’m doing a lot better in the course and I’m enjoying it at the same time.

• I believe my most important takeaway will be learning how to use excel and tableau. These are both things I will be able to use later in my professional life. Also, I learned how complicated data actually is despite seeming very simple

• Profile photo of Jamya L Day

My biggest takeaway is the skills I learned using Tableau. Tableau is a very useful tool, that I now know how to use; I’m glad I get to add another skill to my resume. For future students, I would tell them that this class teaches you a lot about data, data visualizations and how to analyze data. It’s important to learn these concepts through the in-class assignments because it will be important to know for graded assignments and questions on the exams.

• My biggest take away was definitely learning how to use tableau. It is an incredibly useful tool that could be used in almost anything you do. To explain to someone else what 0855 is about, I would tell them that it prepares you by showing you all that goes into analyzing data, and how to do so.

• Profile photo of Patrick Murt

One thing I’ve learned in this course is that in the ever-changing domain of the Business world, understanding data and how it works is crucial to efficiency. If I had to explain this course to a future student I would say that it is about learning what data is used for and how it factors into Business application.

• Profile photo of Jordan Massey

One thing I have learned in this class is how to use data to convey my point whether it be in the field of business, music, sports or school. I would tell a future student that data processing services are paradigm shifts that many businesses are now using to easily get the data they want.