Section 003, Instructor: Ermira Zifla

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 19, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 19, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

36 Responses to Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 19, 2017

• Instagram, the app contains pictures that people post on their personal accounts. A row would be famous people and some columns would include frequently used hashtags, dates and times of posts, locations of posts, and how frequently they post pictures on Instagram.

• A data-driven service that I regularly use is Twitter, which stores tweets. A row would be an individual tweet, and some columns could be the username, the name, the time, the location, the number of characters in the tweet, the number of likes, the number of retweets, and the total engagements with the tweet.

• A data-driven service that I use would be Facebook where people post on their personal account for friends to see. A row would be a particular post, number of likes, number of shares, how many comments were made, and possible location of where the photo or post occurred.

• A data-driven service that I use everyday would be my iPhone’s music app. When organizing the applications aspects in a spreadsheet, the rows would possess the song title in which would be to correlate with the columns. Each column would have a unique data target, those would include, Artist name, Album title, the release date, the length of the song, as well as the genre of music in which the song is native to.

• A data- driven service that I use regularly is blackboard. I use it to access the work for my classes. I would set up my spreadsheet as my columns being the classes I am enrolled in.The rows would be my assignments, my grades, the content for the class, the syllabus, and announcements.

• The service I will be referencing is Slickdeals.net. This website posts trending hot deals going on from various websites and brick & mortar stores. To store this information in a spreadsheet format I would use the item for sale as an individual row. The price of the item, store it is from, number of thumbs up it receives, comments on the item, link to website for item if available, and name of the person that posted the item would be the columns.

• For this example I will be using Target online web-store. On this websight or any online vendor, a database is used to catalogue certain items, each row would represent a unique item. Some columns that may appear to describe this item would be the quantity, cost and average rating of the item.

• Facebook is a data-driven source that I check and use almost every day. People post and share videos, links, texts, and pictures. Each row would be an individual post. Some of the columns that may appear would be the name of the person who posted it, the type of post (whether it be a video, picture, text, etc.), whether the post was an original post or a shared post, the date and time of the post, how many likes it received, and how many comments it received.

• Ebay: Rows would be the categories of products, Columns would be price, rating, seller, how many of times the particular item has been bought and picture of item.

• A data-driven service/product I use daily is Reddit. Reddit is basically a repository of articles. If stored in a relational database some entities might include author, articles, subjects. Attributes of author’s can include author_id, first name, last name, email, image, and phone number. Attributes of articles’ can include title, author_id, subject_id, article_text, article_date. Attributes of subjects can include, subject_id, subject_name, subject_desc.

• A data-driven service I use daily is google documents. Google documents is a cloud-based application that stores your documents. It allows you to create, edit, and share on any computer anywhere. The individual row would be the document content (or at least a small part of it). The columns would be when it was created, title, last edited, who its shared with, and where the file is located.

• On a daily basis I use the Temple University Portal. The Portal stores GPA scores. In one column I would write, “GPA”. Then in the columns I would write “course name”, “name of professor”, “semester”, “course final grade”, and “class credit score”.

• I use blackboard every day so if i were to put all that data in a spreadsheet i think it would have a grades column as well as, upcoming assignments, classes, readings, email and calendar. It would make blackboard much more easy to operate and navigate if it had those main columns.

• If Blackboard data was to be put into a spreadsheet, the rows could be the name of students. The columns could the name classes they are taking, the type of class that they are taking, their grades in those classes, the professors of those classes, and how many announcements those classes have posted.

• A data driven platform that I use daily is Itunes Music. The data contained in the Apple music platform in a spreadsheet would be represented as: the rows could be the name of the songs. And the colums could be the names of the artists, the albums in which the song belongs to, the genre of the song, the number of times a song has been played, and the year it came out.

• Twitter is a data driven site that I use daily. The app contains tweets, pictures, videos, etc. that people post on their personal accounts. A row would be popular twitter accounts, or celebrity accounts. Some columns would include people tagged in posts, dates and times of posts, frequently used hashtags, locations of posts, and how frequently they post on Twitter.

• A data driven service that I regularly use is the music app Spotify. If I were to store the data for Spotify in a spreadsheet, the rows would be the song titles and some of the columns would be the overall genre of the song, the name of the artist(s), the album that the song is on, and the duration of the song.

• A data-driven service that I use daily is Blackboard. If I were to store the information from Blackboard into a spreadsheet, the first row would be the class. The next row could probably be the professor who teaches the class followed by any announcements/new posts to the page. After that, the following row could be about my grade in the class and any comments in the next column about any of the grades submitted into the grading section. The last row could be upcoming assignments for the next week or two.

• A data driven service I use daily is Blackboard. If I used a spreadsheet to save data for the website I would choose an assignment to be a single row of the sheet. The columns would be the name of the assignment, the due date, the date submitted, percentage reached, the class it was for, comments added by the professor. I think that this would be a good way to store the data so I can do some basic analysis of my grades. In real life the database behind the website must have several tables splitting the data in different entities and connecting them in a meaningful way.

• A data-driven services that I use daily is StockX. StockX is a sneaker app that created a stock market for sneakers. Resalers and buyers are able to determine the worth of their sneakers and buy and sell based on the stock price of a particular sneaker. In a spreadsheet, rows would be the name of the sneaker profile and columns would be specifics of the portfolio such as Brand, Deadstock price, year released, condition, and asking price.

• A data driven service source is amazon. The rows would be the category of products offered. Then columns would be the item’s price, the star rating, the different third party sellers, and the amount of items left in stock.

• A data-driven service I use daily is Tumblr. If I were to store data for Tumblr in a spreadsheet, a row would be an individual post. The columns I’d include would be the number of likes, the number of reblogs, the date of the post, and the time of when the post was made/reblogged.

• A data driven service that I use on a regular basis is Blackboard. Blackboard is a platform used to access course information, documents, etc. The columns would be the courses you’re enrolled in. The rows would include syllabus, assignments, readings, grades.

• A data-driven website that I use quite frequently is Amazon.com. As a massive site with millions of product listings, it provides vast amounts of data. If I were to organize the data in a spreadsheet, the rows would be the different products listed. For each row, some columns would be the manufacturer and price of the product, and if the product qualified for Amazon Prime shipping.

• A data driven website that I use quite frequently is Youtube. It is a site with different videos. It provides data about views and regions where views come from. If I would organize the data in a spreadsheet, the rows would be different videos and the columns would be the regions and views.

• A data driven services that I use regularly is blackboard. If I were to organize the data in a spreadsheet the row would include; course names, instructor names, course numbers, assignments, announcements, course syllabus, grades, course documents.

• I use a program called Steam, which stores all my video games while also allowing me to buy more. A row would represent a purchase while a few columns would be; the name of the game, the season it was bought (Steam offers seasonal sales), the number of copies bought, and the price of the game.

• One data driven service I often use is Blackboard. Blackboard is the site we use to look at our grades and get updates from our teachers. The grading part should be easy to put into an excel document. The columns would be something like Class name, Section Number, CRN Number, Teacher Name, then there would be an id column. The rows would simply be the list of individual classes and their info demanded by the columns. The id column would be a a connector for a relational database. Each id would go to another excel page that would list the individual grades and weights for each grade that the teachers come up with individually. Then Blackboard would simply list and show that column within it’s first excel sheet.

• One data driven service I use often is my online banking app. The columns would represent the amount received/ spent, which account it concerns, and the new balance after the transaction. The rows would be the date of transaction.

• A data driven service I use regularly is iMusic App on my computer. This stores hundreds of songs I have from Apple music all in one place. To organize the music I would have all of my songs listed by their titles in rows. For columns, there would be artist, genre, times played, song length.

• I used Gmail’s data driven service on a daily basis. The spreadsheet representation of the data used for that service would require rows dedicated to each email in the inbox. To complement the rows, the columns of the spreadsheet would contain descriptive features or characteristics of the email: sender, time received, subject, message preview, importance of the message, and status (read or unread). This would allow for many of the basic capabilities of the service to be translated to the spreadsheet through the use of filtering, sorting, and other data manipulation techniques.

• The data driven source I use the most would have to be rotten tomatoes. The spreadsheet would have rows for each movie, with columns relating to the percentage it received, how many people reviewed the movie, and how well it did at the box office.

• A data driven service I use a lot is Facebook. I would use the data on every Facebook post that my friends make. In my columns I would put the number of likes, the amount of shares, the amount of reactions, comments and who it was. This way we can discover everything possible from a post and see who’s interacting with that person on Facebook the most.

• For Facebook, I would export data relevant to my friends. Each row would contain information about my friends. I would have a column for: first name, last name, birthday, gender, current city, current job or school information. With this information, I could filter and/or visualize which of my friends live in Philly, or how many friends are females.

• A data driven service such as Amazon would have product name and SKU. There would also be columns for prices/the vendors that sell them. Each row would represent an individual product.

• One service that utilizes data is Twitter. Each row could represent the people whose accounts I follow, and the columns could represent number of Tweets, Number of Likes, Number or Retweets, and whether or not they follow me back.