Section 004, Instructor: Laurel Miller

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 7, 2016

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 7, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Think about a data-driven service that you use regularly (i.e., Blackboard, Amazon.com, Facebook). Imagine you want to store the data for that service in a spreadsheet – what would each row in the spreadsheet represent? What would some of the data columns be?

(For example, Yelp.com stores restaurant reviews. A row would be an individual review, and some columns would be the name of the restaurant, the type of food they serve, the address, the star rating, and the name of the reviewer.)

52 Responses to Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 7, 2016

• Amazon.com product reviews reviews. Each row would be a review of a product.

Column 1 – Name of Product
    Column 2 – Purchase Date
    Column 3 – Numeric or Star based rating
    Column 4 – Description of their review
    Column 5 – Would you recommend to a friend? Yes or No
    Column 6 – Name of Reviewer

• I chose Blackboard because I use it everyday and it is extremely important and helpful to me. Rows would be the individual classes. The columns would be things such as teacher name, time of class and the semester and year it is in.

• For Facebook, some of the data they could collect would be based on your activity. the rows could be your friends names, and the columns would be things such as, number of posts you liked, number of pictures you liked, how many times you visit their page, how long you have been friends with them, and mutual friends shared.

• I use Rotten Tomatoes before I watch any movie. This site gives movie reviews from critics and regular people. If I had to make a spreadsheet with data, my rows would be the reviews of the movie. Then the columns would be the name of movie, genre, release year, and the percent-based ratings from critics and regular people.

• Blackboard is a great example because students use it every day. In an excel spreadsheet, the rows would be all of the classes. The columns could be things such as the semester the course was taken, the time of the class, the professor’s name, exam grades, and final letter grades. This would be an easier way to have an overview of your college education experience. Blackboard can become too complex for accessing all these things at once. A spreadsheet could be a simple point of view.

• I work at a recruiting firm, and we use a database called PCRecruiter. The rows would be the names of each individual candidate that we could potentially contact. The columns would have data such as the individuals’ phone number, email address, the city where they live, and their compensation. It would make viewing this data much more concrete and much simpler for a visual learner.

• A data driven service that I frequently use is Spotify. Each row would have the song title and the columns would include the song’s artist, genre, length, album, year it came out and amount of times its been listened to.

• I frequently use Pandora Radio. Each row could have the name of the song. Each column could represent the genre, artist, length of song, how many thumbs up it has, how many thumbs down it has, the album it is from and the year it was made.

• I use StudentUniverse to find cheap flights to travel around the US and back home. Each row should be the flight number. Each column should show the name of the airlines, date of departure, time of departure, the date of arrival, time of arrival, point of departure (airport code), destination(airport code), price, student discount. This will make it easier for users to sort the details of the flight that suit their needs.

• For an email account, rows can be the title of each email. The columns can be the date and time I received it, read or unread, who send me this email, did I reply this email,is it a starred email.It would make it clearly for me to manage my email account.

• I use Pinterest a lot for brainstorming. For my personal account, I could have each row represent each board I have. Some board categories/rows would be drawing ideas, culture, college groceries, and so on. The columns would represent which category each pin was from within each board like: art, humor, history, quotes, books, food, and so on.

• A data-driven service that I regularly use is Blackboard. This is a perfect example since I use it everyday. If the data was stored in a spreadsheet, the rows would be all the classes I take. The columns would consist of the professor’s name, the semester the class was taken, exam grades, time of class, etc.

• One data-driven service I use multiple times daily is Facebook. Facebook stores many kinds of data, but one example of the data it contains is the data that appears on one’s profile. The row would be the person, potentially identified by a number so that if they changed their name it could be fixed in the relational database where number is translated to name. Some columns would be name, age, gender, birthday, and workplace.

• A data-driven resource that I regularly use is Amazon. A sample format for a spreadsheet containing Amazon products could look like:
    rows: product name
    columns:
    product number
    price
    best seller?
    number of stars from reviews
    in stock?
    prime shipping available?
    ‘customers also bought’ suggestions

• For my favorite shoes, Vans. Website could also be a service of data driven reviews.
    The rows could be categories or gender.Columns would be price, product versions, colors, spring or winter sections, and sizes.

• One data-driven service that I use regularly is an app called S Health. S Health tracks users’ activity throughout each day. In a spreadsheet, every individual day would make up a row. Date, Steps taken, total minutes active, minutes walked, minutes ran, and distance traveled could all be possible columns.

• I use Facebook almost everyday.
    A row will be an individual post.
    Some of the columns would be:
    – Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
    – Number of likes.
    – Number of comments.
    – Number of shares.
    – Type of post (pictures, textual statuses, videos, or shares)
    – Number of words in the post.
    – …

• A data-driven service I have used is lancasterpuppies.com, it is a website that shows puppies that are for sale. The rows could display each dog they have available for sale, I can list them by the dog’s name. I could use the columns to show information like the dog’s breed, sex, age, weight, color, and price.

• I use Pandora most of the day.
    Rows would be individual songs.
    Columns would be information about the song:
    -Song Name
    -Artist
    -Album
    -Features of this Track
    -Lyrics

• I use Blackboard to keep my information organized. So the rows would be the names of all of my classes. The columns would be:
    – assignment names
    – due date
    – what I need to do in order to complete it
    – how many points it’s worth
    – Email or submit on Blackboard

• As I use Amazon frequently, some of the data from my browsing/ shopping would be organized into columns that would be organized by the categories I typically shop in (i.e. health/ fitness, books, electronics, etc.) The rows would be organized by product name, product price, general takeaway from reviews (good, excellent, ok), and sellers location. By organizing this way, I would be able to analyze my buying habits and patterns. If products’ information were to be automatically generated into this spreadsheet, it would quicken and simplify future purchases.

• I visit the website HotNewHipHop regularly because they review the newest Hip-Hop and R&B music. To keep it organized, I can use the rows for the individual song and album/mixtape reviews. The columns would be the name of the artist and their song, percentage number of “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” for each song, news stories, playlists, and even videos. By doing this, I can keep all information easy to access.

• A data-driven service that we all use is YouTube. The rows would represent items such as youtube channels and video titles. The columns would represent the number of subscribers, views, ratings, comments, and video shares.

• A data-driven service that I frequently use is PNC Bank’s Online Banking website, sometimes referred to as the “virtual wallet,” to check how much I am spending and how much money is periodically deposited and withdrawn from my account.

Rows would include: the time and setting of transactions, how much money was transacted
    Columns would include: each month, total balance

• Facebook: for fan page management. Each row would represent the statistics regarding the website for the page admin to understand how his/her page is doing
    (1)Name of the site
    (2)Number of likes
    (3)Number of comments
    (4)Number of shares
    (5)Traffic rate (number of people visiting the page every day)
    (6)Response rate (of the website admin)

• An example of a data-driven source I use daily is ESPN’s Fantasy Baseball. Each row would be each individual date of the season with each of the fantasy team’s players listed below. The columns for batters would consist of Opponent that Game, Score of the game, H/AB, Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples, Homeruns, Walks and Strikeouts. For pitchers the columns would be Opponent that Game, Score of the game, Innings Pitched, Hits Allowed, Earned Runs, Walks Issued, Strikeouts and whether the game was a Win/Loss/Save.

• For blackboard, in the excel spreadsheet there you could have columns labeled class ,grades, and teacher. In each row of the column would be the specific data that would go with it. For example in the column labeled class it would list all the classes you are taking, in the column labeled grades it would have the corresponding grade you received in the class.

• A data driven source I use regularly is Apple Music. Each row in my spreadsheet would include song titles while each column would include the artists name, album name, length of song, number of times played, names of any playlists the song is in, the year the song was produced, and song rating.

• For Twitter, a row could be a Twitter user. Some columns could be how many followers that person has, how many people that person is following, how many tweets the person has, how many pictures the person has tweeted, and the average amount of likes the person gets per tweet.

• The blackboard that we use frequently. A row would be my courses, and some columns would be professor’s name, time of the class, assignment/project, due day and grade.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is Spotify. Each row would be the title of the song. the columns would contain the name of the song, artist, length, album, how many people like it.

• A data-driven resource that I regularly use is Amazon.
    The rows would be Product’s name.
    The columns would consist of
    1) price
    2) Color
    3) shipping fee
    4) in stock or not
    5)Rating scale

• One data driven service I use is the Mint finance App. each column in the spreadsheet would list the various bills or other expenses I am responsible for, along with amount of money I am taking in each month. This would also allow for me to see if I have any extra left over money from the end of the month for discretionary spending. My columns would look something like this
    Column 1: Cable:
    Column 2: Rent
    Column 3: Cell Phone
    Column 4: Utilities
    Column 5: Left Over

• The data collected from youtube could be used in a spreadsheet. The row could be the channel name and the columns could include amount of people subscribed to the channel, average amount of likes and dislikes videos on the channel receive, and the average amount of comments.

• Being in the business of real estate, one of the tools we use for listings is Zillow. If I were to organize Zillow into a spreadsheet, I would place Price, Estimated Value, Living Space Type (Condo, Apartment, etc.), Listing Type (Commercial, Residential, etc.) in the columns. In the rows I would place the Address and Zip Code.

• As a big sports fan, I tend to follow who the best performers are in the NBA. The statistics of players could easily be represented in an Excel sheet. Each row would represent a different players statistics. The first column would include the player’s name, and then show their points per game, rebounds per game, assists per game, etc. You could then use the filter option in Excel to see who the top performers are in each category.

• As I listen to music a lot, a data driven service that I regularly use is Spotify. If I were to collect data from the service, my row would represent the title of the song. The data that could be in the columns can be the name of the artist, the length of the song, the name of the album the song is in, the popularity of the song which is the number of plays of the song on Spotify.

• For Amazon.com I could see the spreadsheet being composed by order numbers with.
    So column1 would include order number then there would be a sub column for each product in the order (product id number) then the row would consist of product name, quantity, user id, account id.

• I would imagine twitter.com would have a spreadsheet representing data pertaining to its users. Column A would have the URL of the user, B would have the username, C would have the users first name, D would have the last name and E would have the users short bio. Column F would have the amount of tweets the user has posted and G&I would have the amount of followers/following.

• I use weather.com to check the weather. Weather.com has a huge amount of data that tells you about the weather for the present day up to the next 14 days. It shows the highs/lows and every thing else. You can separate the data by high, low, inches of rain, chance of perception, sunset, sunrise, clouds, sun, and humid.

• I use Instagram, and the rows could be the names of person who I followed. And let their Account IDs, number of likes they gave, number of photos they posted, and number of likes they received to be the columns. So we can see who is more active on this app through the number of photos they posted. We can also know who is the most popular person by checking how much likes he or she got in a certain period.

• A data-driven service that you use regularly is Ebay. If I want to store the data of it in a spreadsheet, each row would be the item I search for, each column would be prices, condition, buying format, shipping services, item location

• A data-driven service that I use regularly that is a great example would be Blackboard. If I were to put Blackboard into a spreadsheet I would have each row a different class taken. Listed next to the class would be the course ID number. I would place the professors name, undergraduate or graduate course, campus taken at, course period, day/time, and grade standing in the columns. Blackboard can be confusing at times while trying to find all these things for your classes, but integrating this information into an excel spreadsheet would make the content more easier to read and review.

• Diamond Dollars website for temple university records every expense spent. I use it regularly to check my account status. The row will be the dollar value spent. And the columns will be the date, expense value, description of the expense and net balance of my student account.

• A data-driven service that I use regularly is BlackBoard. The row would be the courses that I am talking. The columns would be the due date, grades, new announcements, instructors, and the year of the class.

• I like reading different books. The data-driven I used recently is kindle bookstore. The row could be each book’s name. In the column, I would place author’s name, publisher, publish date, ranking, category, price.

• I would choose Blackboard and some column would be the school that the class is in like Fox or another one of the schools within temple or classes with the most As or Bs. The rows would be the name of the classes that each school had or that had the most As or Bs.

• I like listening music, the music data software that I usually use is Kugou. If i download or collect some data (music) from the platform, my row would represent the title of the songs. Or the name of the singers. The data in columns can be the length of the song, the name of album, the popularity of the song, especially the language of the song (Chinese, English, Spanish). These service will help me find songs easily.

• I will use Amazon’s product review as my example.

Each row will contain a review, which will be assigned a unique ID.
    The columns will contain data such as:
    – Date it was posted
    – Product title
    – Product price
    – Number of star ratings
    – Date of edit (if applicable)
    – Inputted review by user

• One data-driven website I use regularly is Youtube. If Youtube videos were to be stored in a spreadsheet, the rows would be titles of the videos and the columns would contain information on name of channel, quality of video, length of video, date and time video was posted, number of views, number of likes and dislikes.

• If we’re looking off of what I think black board and similar sites would use in their rows for a spread sheet I have to think not from a user perspective but a developers. I think the rows would be about the traffic the site gets, the type of user (teacher, administrative, or student), and whether they would be submitting or downloading. Additionally, the data could revolve around the assignment, being a test, quiz, discussion board, homework, or paper.

• A data driven service could possibly be facebook, where we could arrange friends into an Excel spreadsheet. Different rows in the spreadsheet would be different friends you have, and various rows could consist of location, number of mutual friends, name, etc.