MIS 2101.004 – Adam Alalouf – Spring 2016

Grading and policies

Course Grade Components

Component Weight Notes
In-Class Activities and Worksheets 10% Complete up to two in-class activities per week (50-min. each) and submit completed activity worksheets.  Students may miss up to two in-class activities
 Learn IT! 15% Learn IT! Assignments:
#1 Digital Identity: Establish ePortfolio
#2 Systems Analysis
#3 SAP: System Walkthrough
#4 Hour of Code
#5 Digital Identity: Networking and Analytics
 Midterm Exam #1 25% Multiple choice and mini-case
 Midterm Exam #2 25%  Multiple choice and mini-case
 Final Exam 25%  50 minute. Multiple choice and mini-case

Grading Scale

94-100

A

73-76

C

90-93

A-

70-72

C-

87-89

B+

67-69

D+

83-86

B

63-66

D

80-82

B-

60-62

D-

77-79

C+

Below 60

F

Learn IT! Assignment Grading Criteria

Grade Criteria
 Pass-High (100%)  The assignment consistently exceeds expectations. It demonstrates originality of thought and creativity throughout. Beyond completing all of the required elements, new concepts and ideas are detailed that transcend general discussions along similar topic areas. There are few mechanical, grammatical or organizational issues that detract from the presented ideas.
 Pass (80%)  The assignment consistently meets expectations. It contains all the information prescribed for the assignment and demonstrates a command of the subject matter. There is sufficient detail to cover the subject completely but not too much as to be distracting. There may be some procedural issues, such as grammar or organizational challenges, but these do not significantly detract from the intended assignment goals.
 Fail (60%)  The assignment fails to consistently meet expectations. That is, the assignment is complete but contains problems that detract from the intended goals. These issues may be relating to content detail, be grammatical, or be a general lack of clarity. Other problems might include not fully following assignment directions.
 Missing/Late (0%)  Missing or late assignment.

Additional Grading Policies

Please note that it is against my policy to discuss grades on any test, graded assignment or any other direct component of your final grade via e-mail. If you would like to discuss how an assignment was graded, please see me during office hours. If you are not available during office hours, please make an appointment with me for another time.

Please note that two weeks after a grade has been posted, the grade will be considered “final.” If you have an issue with a grade you are required to meet with me or make an appointment to meet with me during this two week period. After this two week period a grade will be considered “final” and is not up for discussion.

Disability Resources and Services

Any student who has a need for accommodation based on the impact of a documented disability, including special accommodations for access to technology resources and electronic instructional materials required for the course, should contact me privately to discuss the specific situation by the end of the second week of classes or as soon as practical. If you have not done so already, please contact Disability Resources and Services (DRS) at 215-204-1280 in 100 Ritter Annex to learn more about the resources available to you. I will work with DRS to coordinate reasonable accommodations for all students with documented disabilities.

Citation Guidelines

If you use text, figures, and data in reports that was created by others you must identify the source and clearly differentiate your work from the material that you are referencing. If you fail to do so you are plagiarizing. There are many different acceptable formats that you can use to cite the work of others. The format is not as important as the intent. You must clearly show the reader what is your work and what is a reference to someone else’s work.

Academic Honesty

Source: Temple University Undergraduate Bulletin, 2012-2013. Available online at: http://www.temple.edu/bulletin/responsibilities_rights/responsibilities/responsibilities.shtm

Temple University believes strongly in academic honesty and integrity. Plagiarism and academic cheating are, therefore, prohibited. Essential to intellectual growth is the development of independent thought and a respect for the thoughts of others. The prohibition against plagiarism and cheating is intended to foster this independence and respect.

Plagiarism is the unacknowledged use of another person’s labor, another person’s ideas, another person’s words, another person’s assistance. Normally, all work done for courses — papers, examinations, homework exercises, laboratory reports, oral presentations — is expected to be the individual effort of the student presenting the work. Any assistance must be reported to the instructor. If the work has entailed consulting other resources — journals, books, or other media — these resources must be cited in a manner appropriate to the course. It is the instructor’s responsibility to indicate the appropriate manner of citation. Everything used from other sources — suggestions for organization of ideas, ideas themselves, or actual language — must be cited. Failure to cite borrowed material constitutes plagiarism. Undocumented use of materials from the World Wide Web is plagiarism.

Academic cheating is, generally, the thwarting or breaking of the general rules of academic work or the specific rules of the individual courses. It includes falsifying data; submitting, without the instructor’s approval, work in one course which was done for another; helping others to plagiarize or cheat from one’s own or another’s work; or actually doing the work of another person.

The penalty for academic dishonesty can vary from receiving a reprimand and a failing grade for a particular assignment, to a failing grade in the course, to suspension or expulsion from the university. The penalty varies with the nature of the offense, the individual instructor, the department, and the school or college.

Students who believe that they have been unfairly accused may appeal through the school or college’s academic grievance procedure.

Academic dishonesty will not be tolerated in this class. In cases of cheating, both parties will be held equally responsible, i.e. both the student who shares the work and the student who copies the work. Penalties for such actions are given at my discretion, and can range from a failing grade for the individual assignment, to a failing grade for the entire course.

Leave a Reply