MIS 2101.702 – Courtney Minich – Fall 2017

Weekly Question #3

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 9, 2017. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we reviewed Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some other areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

33 Responses to Weekly Question #3

• Realistically you can use decision trees in every aspect of life. Anytime that there is a decision process that is long or complex a decision tree would come in handy. An example would be if you work for a large company and are a supervisor. There might be a decision tree you can implement to help you navigate the “improvement process” between yourself and your superiors.

• Honestly decision trees can be used to schedule your day. Examples could be as simple as if I have leftover milk, I’ll eat cereal for breakfast, if I have no milk left, I’ll just eat some eggs or planning according to the weather. By using decision trees to plan your day, you will end up wasting less time on making decisions on the spot and instead be using that extra time for something important or something for leisure.

• Hi Kenny. That was a great example of using food and meal preparation as a subject for decision tress. I just realized that I have been implementing them prior to being aware of their name. For the week, the meals are mapped out depending upon what is available in the freezer, fridge and/or pantry. If I forgot to take something out of the freezer or got home later than expected then a more readily available option is on deck. And already accounted for, as I do periodically expect not all to go exactly according to plan, even meals.

• I could use decision trees when handling my son and his chores or his homework and free time. An example is when he gets home from school and wants to go outside to play. Has he finished his homework? Yes or No? If no, the he cannot go out, but if yes, then we move on to are the chores done. Having this mapped out for him, he can figure out the answer to the question without bothering me until everything he needs to do is done first!

• Decision trees could be used for pretty much anything that involves making decisions. I’ve unknowingly been making decision trees in my head this whole semester. For example, if I don’t have class until later in the day I will work on some assignments that I have due and if I don’t have any assignments due I will run some errands. If I don’t have any errands to run I will go to the gym but if the weather is bad I’ll stay home and do stuff around the house. By mapping it out I am able to use my time more efficiently and prioritize what is more important for me to accomplish first.

• I agree with everyone that decision trees can be used for pretty much everything. I use them the same way Lauren does all the time and for the same reason as Danielle!

This question is perfect for a situation I am dealing with right now. I have to figure out if I can go on a trip to Italy with my family in June. This is contingent on several factors including money, Temple tuition payments, my children, and the simple fact it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Obviously one determinant is money. If I have the money, I can then move on to the next decision in the process. If not, it ends and I can’t go.

• I think a decision tree would be really helpful for people looking to buy a home, especially for first-time home buyers. I bought my first home last year and there was definitely an overwhelming amount of options out there that led to so many different paths. A decision tree could help you narrow down your search with branches for location, commute time, property taxes, features, amenities, move-in ready and really any sort of part that mattered the most to you. It would be helpful to see how each choice led down to another path and could potentially help home buyers avoid a home that led to an undesirable consequence.

• Raechel,
      I agree a decision tree would be helpful when buying a house. You may even need to add if you need to sell the house you are in to acquire the one you are looking to buy. This would add, sell on your own or with a realtor, lowest price you could accept, how long would you need to move out of that house into a new one, moving costs, new appliances or take the ones you have.

• Congratulations on your first home purchase! That is a clever and crafty way to put decision trees to use.

• I agree that a decision tree is great for large scale decisions! They are also helpful when you have so many options, like you did, for buying a home and so many items to take into consideration.

• A decision tree would be helpful when someone is deciding to buy a car. It could sort out the amount of money available, the max amount you can afford to pay each month, lease or buy, new or used, trade your car in or sell it on your own, what type of car, the color, accessories needed, what dealership to go with, how much gas you will need in a month along with what insurance carrier is the best. These variables are all very important as this shows you the true cost of the car each month.

• A decision tree can be helpful when going on a (blind) date, :D. You know nothing or little of the other party, and a decision tree can be your calculator of some possible answers. Is the other party talkative/ funny/interesting/ and so on. The answers will lead to the final decision of meeting again or declining the proposal.

• We can use decisions trees in really most areas of our life. I use them a lot in my current role. I have 8 physicians office practices to manage. While each on is very independent because each one has a different set of providers, the day to day task are all the same. In order to effectively manage that many locations you have to put systems in place that work for all locations. We use decisions trees in to outline the process from the moment a patient checks in the front office til when they see the provider. Things like what to do when a patients insurance is inactive. Or others like what to do if you are unable to draw blood from a patient because their veins jump. When to refer a patient out vs when to do the study within the office.

I also have used decision trees with my kids. For 6 years I worked two jobs and they basically where home at times and needed processes of how to figure certain things out like, preparing their own meals, or getting laundry done. I used a decision tree to outline what they were to do to get to the next step in each situation and what to do if it didn’t go as planned.

• I think decision trees could be helpful in saving me money while grocery shopping. My roommates and I often run up quite the bill while shopping and trying to cut back. By asking ourselves quick questions that run down a list that consist of stuff like “Will we all eat this?” “Will it go bad quickly?” and “Is it on sale?” I think we could save ourselves quite a bit of money. Especially by keeping us from creating food waste with spoils.

• I think decision trees can be used for many different things. I could use one for something as simple as what I am going to do this weekend. It would layout my possible options, such as going out or doing homework. The decision tree would explicitly lay put the possible outcomes of the choices I make.

• It could really help in production areas in any manufacturing to understand how goals of production match production. I would put all the data in a neat decision tree chart and see which part needs adjustment or improvement. Decision tree simplifies every point of process and shows where inefficient part is.

• As other people have said using a decision tree to make a major purchase is an excellent idea. I also think that decision trees could be useful in education. For example, for upper level classes there can be a lot of prerequisites that must be completed. Therefore, when a student goes to register for a course a decision tree could be used. The yes or no questions could be has the student taken x course if yes then they are directed to the next course in the sequence if no then they have to take the course.

• I could use a decision tree in the training of my horses. Depending on the weather, am I riding inside or outside? If he is competing that weekend, he needs to jump. If it is winter, he needs conditioning work. If he isn’t even going to pay attention, then he just needs to go for a walk and have a break. It would be helpful to take the guesswork and emotional interference out of training and make it more objective!

• You can use decision trees in many areas of every day life. A family can make one when they are trying to decide to where to travel to. Teachers cab use them in their lesson plans. I think that they may be useful in cooking. Also in projects like home design/decor. Decision Trees make ideas flow easier.

• My wife and I are going through the process of refurbishing our house. We sat down and created a decision tree to make the most informed decision. We visited numerous furniture stores and made decision trees for each one of them. This process reminded me of the old adage of making a pro and con list for everything. Decision trees are sort of new age pro and con list as they are very detailed and spell out the cause and effect.

• A decision tree can be used for various aspects and theoretically anything you need to make a decision for. I think decision trees are logically when having to make a big picture decision and need logic to back those decisions. They can also be used for smaller scale issues such as What do I spend my Saturday morning doing? If its raining out maybe you take a course to a list of different options versus if it is sunny. Feelings and mood can also be an aspect of a decision tree.

• I have come to the realization that both my girlfriend and I are horrible at coming up with ideas for going out on dates. One could use a decision tree to focus down or pinpoint what we both want to do. Not guaranteeing this would be full proof, may even lead to a branch saying “I don’t know” which is a common phrase of hers. However, having a decision tree can be an easy, and quick way to come up with a date or something to do. It could also be a way to not pinpoint what you both want to do, but more so as a way to be spontaneous. let the decision tree take you on an adventure by following the way you built it and saying yes or no to certain points in the tree.

• A decision tree can be useful for navigating through a vast majority of situations. When faced with a large scale decision that can be very complex, a decision tree is useful for breaking down the various possible routes that take place in the decision making process. Decision trees are also useful for small scale, every day decisions. In conclusion, decision trees are very useful for guiding yourself through almost any process where you are forced to make a decision.

• Using decision trees can be very beneficial any time someone or something is faced with multiple decisions. I could use a decision tree when delivering food for my job. One way to do this would be when faced with multiple deliveries. I would analyze the time of the delivery, whether they tipped me or not, and how far it is. All these factors could be broken down into a decision tree and be very useful for me.

• I think that decision trees can be especially helpful as a student going throughout everyday life. For example, while planning out my schedule for next semester there are so many things I have to factor in. Will I have time to keep volunteering, and if so for how long would I be able to do it? Decision trees could also be helpful in group projects so that as a group it would be easier to narrow down what to focus on.

• I very much enjoyed learning about the concept of decision trees. These innovative designs can be used by everyone from students to business executives. My best thought for when to use a decision tree is following my study abroad process, from picking coed apartments, destination, institution and class selection. Using the decision tree in this concept can help me easily track the path I took while trying to study abroad.

• Decision trees help make businesses and organizations ultimately reach their goals. The process of constructing a decision tree can also be very beneficial to those who needs to overview their operations and singling decisions. I place that I could see a decision tree being helpful is making one for my job and how I run my day. Creating different scenarios to my day and the choices I make, I can see what I could/can accomplish based on my decisions. Creating a decision tree can help me organize my day and identify a projected outcome I would like to achieve. One downside to using a decision tree with planning your day is if you have a complicated job or a job with a large amount of tasks, the chart can get over complicated and will loose its purpose.

• A decision tree can be used in almost every decision that needs to be made. They are most useful, however, when a decision has a lot of factors in it. An example of this may be when buying a house or some sort of property. You must make decisions based on price, location, size, etc.

• I use decision trees when being time conscious. When I’m getting ready in the morning and have to hurry or decide what I should do when. i unconsciously map out decisions and their effects. For more complicated decision making, I usually do pros and cons, but this adds another level of depth to the mapping out of effects and the impact one decision has on another..

• I think decision trees can be used and be very helpful in so many different aspects of life. Where I would suggest using one would be in big life decisions. For example, choosing a college, or a place to live, etc. They give you a good grasp of what the outcome would be for each decision that you make. When I may decision I rarely every write things down or draw a decision tree, but I try to weigh pros and cons in my head, which I think is similar to the decision tree model.

• Decision trees and flow charts can be helpful in a lot of aspect of life and business. Decisions trees can be used in life choices including house hunting, food to eat during the week, and weekend plans. A decision tree would be helpful before college in internship searching and choosing a college.

• I could see decision trees helping me plan out my week. A lot of times I have to decide whether or not to schedule clients on certain days. If I have tests or quizzes then I won’t schedule on that day. The decision tree would help me decide what to do with my time.