Management Information Systems in Organizations

Weekly Question

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 6, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

As you are preparing for the exam, what is something interesting you’ve pulled from the readings that you hadn’t really thought about before taking MIS2101?

29 Responses to Weekly Question

• Specifically, the swimlane diagrams. I was not aware how useful they are or how often these diagrams are used. Recently, I have noticed both types, swimlanes and ERD’s are used in my division. However, I believe that the ER diagrams would be easier to use vs the swimlanes, simply because it gives specific information, such as name, dept. employee ID, etc. that is often used in an organization when identifying an employee’s information/status. In addition, students could specialized in various areas of MIS accompanied by some fantastic benefits. I have already begun to encourage young adults in my division to focus their careers in MIS and take advantage of the various opportunities available accompanied by the highest level of success that could be achieved.

• For me it was the swimlane diagrams and ERDs. Because I am the type of person who plans, organizes and likes to write out/map out all details I see how that would be a great asset to me in my personal life, and also at work. The visuals that the diagrams provide and for the ERDs, the specific points that is gives to its audience really makes things clear and concise for those who in some way, shape or form take a part of the process.

• Before I take this MIS course, I was planning a project/procedure by just listing things randomly such as the branstorming. It is hard to see the whole process easily at a glance. After I learned the ERD and the swimlane diagrams, it became much easier to set steps for the project. Moreover, I can visualize and understand rapidly by looking at the diagrams to tell each step. And it is very easy to catch the mistake since it is all divided into sections such as departments, customers, etc.

• Something interesting that I have pulled from the readings is that each business has its own set of specific business rules that allow the business to function. What I didn’t realize is that these rules can be overlooked as just simple functions however without them, the business would not run efficiently. Also, I found it interesting how each rule answers a question that can have multiple outcomes and can easily be depicted by a visual known as a decision tree.

• After learning about the swim lane diagrams, it’s was interesting to me to see how often you can use them. You can use them for so many different things. I work for an insurance company and we could use a swimlane diagram to show the process of how a policy goes into effect and all the different steps it goes through before it is actually in force. Swimlane diagrams make it easy to show a process and it explains its well. The way that the diagram flows make it easy to see exactly what happens and when it happens.

• Something interesting that I pulled from the readings was definitely the swim lane diagrams. I never knew how useful they were for so many different things prior to taking this class. I work in retail and there’s a lot of customer service that goes with it and I find them very useful when training new associates on the things as simple as using the cash register to processing online orders for customers. The diagram makes it easy to understand each step by step process.

• Something interesting that I pulled from the readings was how MIS professionals are in so many different industries assisting with technology such as the healthcare and banking industries. I also found it interesting that there are so many different options for MIS professional to do when they earn their degree. I always thought that MIS professionals built software, but from the very beginning of the semester and by studying for the exam it was reinforced that MIS professionals will not directly build computer programs but they will direct computer programmers on what to build which I found was interesting.
    .

• One thing I haven’t thought about before and that I wasn’t even knowledgeable of was is the Swim Lane diagram and the ER diagram. I learned these are 2 key and essential tools in not just t,he business process, but can be applied in many different circumstances. I was able to use the Swim Lane in one of my recent meeting, to explain certain processes that we go through and how to improve them. This just reinforced my interest in this subject and the different areas that MIS applies to. Through some of these processes I feel that my personal business ventures would profit greatly from this essential information.

• That might be the first time I realize how important the swim lane diagram is. When I look at the document, there are too much words and makes me feel that this is a complicated process. However, once I use swim lane diagram to decompose it, I suddenly find it just composed of some simple pieces. Also, I finally know there is a huge difference between IT and IS!

• I prepared for the exam by doing the study guide. I made sure to fill in all the fill in the word paragraphs and study those key terms. I also read the readings and pulled out the interesting things I found. Some of them were what is MIS because before taking this class I had no idea what it actually was and what they do. I also found the difference between IT and IS interesting because I assumed they were the same thing. Lastly I went over ERD and Swim lane diagrams because I knew those would be on the exam.

• One thing I thought about while studying for the exam was the importance and usefulness of Swim Lane Diagrams and Entity Relationship to expedite even the most simple of business practices. Sometimes, the information involved seems like common knowledge, but having an ERD or SWD on hand can save valuable time when sharing information or locating a potential problem. Also, I thought about how the importance of the use of technology by a firm has increased dramatically over the past few decades. I wonder what the technological business landscape will look like in another two decades.

• This course makes me realized for the first time how a diagram could make things so much easier when words might make it harder. In terms of the explaining the business process and demonstrate its operation logic, I always intended to use descriptive narrative for a detail instruction. But after taking this course, i found out diagram, especially Swim Lane Diagram could make things so much easier.

• The main revelation I’ve had while taking this course is the sheer value of MIS in all aspects of business. In today’s world of data, having a strong MIS foundation is necessary for a business’s success. I can now perceive how MIS has relevance in Marketing, Finance, Management and just about all other department’s of business. Also, we’ve learned how MIS can make processes more efficient by the use of diagrams such as the swim-lane diagram and ERD’s. Overall, it is intriguing how MIS makes a business better and more efficient. My perspective has changed and I would like to have some experience with MIS in real time!

• That technology and business can be intertwined. Specifically, using systems in the business aspect to train and inform stakeholders of company’s processes and functions. I was very surprised that organizations would use these systems. One benefit is that they can be used to eliminate costly functions in a system.

• Before taking this MIS class, I never realized how much more efficient a company can become after using process mapping, swimlane diagrams, and ERDs. Using these diagrams lets a company look at their own process and determine any holes, inefficiencies, or areas that need to worked on. Just as important, they let other companies see just how efficient and well ran an organization is. When traveling to another company, I will now be taking note on any use of these diagrams.

• While preparing for the exam, the swim lane diagram finally started to click for me. At first I never thought how complicated a large paragraph worth of explanation could be or how much detail is missed until i started making the diagrams. They definitely help to break it down in a way that is easy to understand and full of details. I also have a better understanding of how they can be applied for presentation in a business meeting.

• Prior to studying, I was having trouble connecting the different components of an ERD diagram. Through readings and our review session I was able to thoroughly understand not only how each component coincides with one another, but why and how we can utilize ERD diagrams, as well as Swimlane diagrams, into real life business scenarios. This put it into perspective which enabled me to do much better on those questions during the exam. Also, seeing visual aids allows me to learn and comprehend information at a more efficient rate.

• Something interesting that I pulled from the readings while preparing from the exam are the swim lane diagram, ERD, and MIS professionals. I have never seen or learned about swim lane diagram or ERD before and I never know those two diagrams are so helpful and so important in business. Also before taking MIS class, I know very basic things about MIS and I never know that MIS professionals can work in many different industries.

• What stood out for me was the swim lane diagrams. I was already writing down processes for some of my classes and when I used to organize them it used to be unorganized. But after learning about the swim lane, I’m also able to add additional information that the swim lane incorporates and it helps me understand processes better.

• I knew of the concept of swim lane diagrams before this class but I thought that it would always be simple to construct them. It turns out you really have to dissect the intricacies of the entire process. If something, even if it just a tiny step, is accidentally missed or glanced over it could really affect the overall quality and effectiveness of the swim lane.

• Swimlane diagrams and ERD’s were much more complicated than I thought. It’s crazy that one simple step or process can totally change the whole thing. That is what I struggled with. But, I feel that these will be useful in the near future and for anybody who’s running a business. These diagrams can help you to be more organized if you understand how to use them.

• Not only did the efficiency of process mapping stand out to me, but also MIS in general. The majors offered and the career path to follow stood out to me because it’s evolving. Prior to taking this class, I was unaware of the career paths that people take from the different degrees earned concerning information systems. As well as an evolving field, it is very much needed.

• One of the things that became more evident to me while preparing for the exam was the scope of versatility of the various diagrams from the unit. The swim lane diagrams are specifically versatile, and their ability to convey (sometimes) complex processes in a streamlined, understandable visual is very valuable. I also found that the decision tree diagrams can be very helpful in conveying business processes in a comprehensive yet simple way. I have a current project I am working on in which I need to lay out business rules for a new system function and I intend to use these tools (wish me luck ;))!

• I had a general idea of what swim lanes and ERDs were, however, while studying for the same I paid more attention to the ERD. I’m not a big fan of ERDs because it seems more complicated than Swimlanes. Swimlanes are more straight to the point. ERDs are more confusing with the entity and attributes. Now, ERD is not as confusing to me. I think I am getting the hang of it a little.

• At the risk of being redundant, I will again refer to the use and practicality of the swim lane diagrams. When compared to the ERDs, I still feel that the swim lane diagram offers any user the ability to follow a process. A user with little-to-no experience can easily identify the actors, the steps, and the decisions that are made throughout an entire process.

• I found that system architecture is the conceptual model that defines the structure, behavior, and different views of a system interesting.

• I also think the learning about the use of swim lane diagrams and ERD’s were a few of the more interesting things i have pulled from the reading since joining this course. I previously had no knowledge of them and it is interesting to me how someone with no previous knowledge can become accustom to them quite quickly. The steps are visual and easy to follow throughout the process.

• I found the conceptual map very interesting and useful. I feel like I will actually use it in my future presentations. I also really like the ER diagram, I think it explains really well the steps and data.

• Overall I would say all of the processing maps. I never really expected there to be diagrams to show processes or that they would be so important. At first I thought It was just busy work, but then I found out that these diagrams help detect issues or inefficiency within the organization. MIS encompasses not only technology but the processes that allow technology and an organization to function.