Management Information Systems in Organizations

Weekly Question

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 13, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Think about the value a company can add by implementing or utilizing an ERP – think about one way you might use an ERP in your desired (or current) career to add value, be more efficient or provide better service.  In a few sentences, tell us about it.  

29 Responses to Weekly Question

• By using the ERP system at the onset of opening a new business, it would be beneficial to me in areas of sales and expenses. The lower the expenses, the better. In addition, since I would be anxious to see a profit early on, this system may provide me with an incentive of not giving up, especially since it would be possible to view and monitor the potential profits, regardless of how small it is.

• An ERP system is good to have in any company since it supports multiple functions used by different business units. Instead of forcing employees to maintain separate databases and spreadsheets, an ERP will allow them to pull all that information from one system. It will benefit me in the future, for example, if I work for a company that gets lots of sales orders, those orders will automatically flow into the financial system without me having to key in every single thing, then the order department can process orders more quickly and accurately, and the finance department can close the book faster.

• the ERP system is very helpful for companies with huge order amount and stock management. It could lower the labor cost and keep everything in record. More importantly, it could be highly efficient with high order dealing speed and ensure a fast coordination within departments. Business process could be more logical and clear for anyone to operate in this system and also convenient to check the past record if necessary.

• Using a ERP system at the beginning of an real estate and property management business can help me in the administrative system. An ERP system can calculate the and keep with the lease agreements for each rental property. As well maintain the pricing and contracts for the laborers for the flipping properties. As many projects are done the same time, the system will run without me calculating per project at one time.

• I realized that at my work we use an ERP system in recording the customers information, their credit cards, their past transaction history and they are all accessible to the employers at the store, another store as well as human resource and head quarters. It is useful in cases that where they travel and they don’t need to make separate accounts for each store or they are able to bring up a past transaction without a receipt with just their phone number. It helps the company earn money because we are providing easy service for them, which gives them a reason to keep bringing business.

• As a marketing student that would definitely strive to work for an international marketing firm, I believe a successful implementation of an ERP could provide worthwhile benefits to such an organization. In our content we learned the vast amount of functions that ERPs are capable of and the functions that they simplify as well. In a globalized landscape, it would be crucial to be able to track orders that have been made in different languages, convert currencies, and disseminate information accurately and effectively to regions across the world. An effective ERP solution seems to be able to cover those bases provided that the implementation is correct for the enterprise in question.

• As a Human Resource major I could use the ERP in its simplest form to better implement policies or functions in the work place to increase efficiency. For instances During training or hiring there may be particular areas that are not necessarily needed during the training process that are costly and take up much time that limit workplace resources. It also could tell us how many employees are needed in specific areas of the business which can lower administrative costs. ERP can also be used to better manage overall functions in the workplace for better efficiencys and lower costs.

• By implementing an ERP into the functions of a company, it can add an immense amount of efficiency so that business is not interrupted by having multiple systems needing to be double checked to ensure all data is up to date. I could use the ERP as a HR major by allowing it to be connected to all different departments of the organization. This will allow us to know when departments need new hires, keep up with complaints and in general keep all data in one place so it is easy to get to.

• An ERP system can be extremely beneficial in the restaurant business in order to better keep track of everything. By combining the different inventories of the multiple restaurants and their various departments such as the bar, kitchen, and accounting cost. This also helps managers have more information available to them to make business decisions. The lower cost would also be beneficial to increase profit and allow budgetting in other departments or for repairs.

• ERP is the one of the most efficient tools I have ever seen about the method that solve business problem. It effectively lower the cost and improve productivity. I am learning accounting this semester, and the ERP diagram will be perfect to reduct inventory. With too many focusing on procedure and implement effort, the cost saving can not achieve companies’ anticipation. But with ERP diagram, the procedure has less measurement and can achieve higher productivity.

• As an accounting major I think ERP will be beneficial in my career. I work at a bank and we reconcile different bank recs on the daily but some of these recs are linked together. So using an ERP diagram would do that and make our job much easier. We also need ERP for our credit card systems and wires that we transfer both domestically and internationally. We could convert different currencies and even keep members credit card transactions in order. I thin ERP diagrams could be beneficial in any field and make the process for workers easier.

• An ERP could really help in my future finance career. It would help automate and streamline several financial operations that a corporation would need to do. It could also provide real time analysis as new data is acquired. The value of the ERP would be in its translation to accurate forecasting as it would reduce the risk in financial and business activities.

• The implementation of an ERP system according to the reading is a costly system to implement. The benefits of an ERP system is it gives the real time view of data, improves financial compliance with regulatory standards and reduces risk, automates core business operations and can enhance customer service. In the field of business I currently work, an implementation of an ERP system would benefit the company in my opinion, If we were able to implement certain parts of the business, while excluding others. The only risk is its a 50/50 chance that it could also have a negative impact on the business as well as a whole or in certain areas. I think its worth the chance, based on the research, we’d be able to increase production, manufacturing and distribution. As well as a real time financial system.

• Using ERD systems in a business can be helpful in many of areas such as customer service and human resources. By using an ERD system, it lowers the cost of productivity. I used to work for the HR department at Target and we used SAP a lot. We used SAP to maintain all of the employees and keep all information organized. It was extremely helpful to use because there is a large amount of employees and it would be hard to keep track of all their information with an ERD system.

• I would like to eventually leave the hospitality industry upon finishing my degree here at Temple, but ERDs are great for hospitality businesses such as restaurants. Keeping track of the information, such as email address, average spending, most common order, and other information related to frequent customers can give the business a better grasp of what will be required to cater to these customers. This information can also be used to predict inventory requirements and forecast sales.

• The organization I work for is looking to provide Management Information to various business leaders that will help to redefine the company’s sales payment scheme, and to develop rules around workforce planning. The challenge is “marrying” the finance data (sales and profit numbers) with HR & Payroll data. This information will be used to gain insights on certain trends (such as average headcount by revenue/operating income, or average total compensation including base and variable pay), and will help to design the future model. An ERP system would allow for simplified reporting of the various parameters needed to make assessments.

• I work at Wawa. When we do inventory, an ERP would be ideal to measure both consistency in sales of specific items as well as identify non-selling items. This enables me, as a manager in charge of ordering more, to be efficient and save money when ordering certain amounts of each item. By learning the activity in which items are sold, it can help the company as a whole by saving money and repurposing shelf space for better items.

• The use of an ERP system can be useful in my future career in the RMI industry. It would be useful by being able to integrating, identify and analyze all data when viewing particular risks and loss exposures that occur in businesses and to individuals as well as how these risk and losses effect the overall business process of insurance. With new risk forming everyday, and the ERP systems being able to give a global and real-time view of data, it can allow companies to address the growing concerns correctly, and in a timey manner.

• At my previous place of employment we used an ERP system throughout the entire work place. There were multiple computers set up with software that employees had to log into at the beginning of their shifts which allowed for less confusion and employee accountability. Under our employee ID’s anyone who logged into the system could see which employees were with clients, which clients made payments and which employee authorized that payment. The software also kept track of clients payment methods and any personal requests. The information for daily quotas automatically sent to our employee headquarters in Baltimore.

• Rather than utilizing ERP in a future career, I can think of a past position in which I utilized inventory management software. As a Visual Merchandiser at a large grocery retailor, I had the opportuniry to utilize an automatic reordering system that prepared an order quantity, based on the quantity checked out at the POS. I would then implement the order request by first verifying the need for order fulfilmment. I would either add or subtract from the lot quantity as needed. The order would then go through to the wholesaler. This type of resouece planning allowed for more efficient ordering of necessary grocery items. Rather than walking each aisle and examining each shelf for needed merchandise, I was able to utilize a handheld device that directed my walk to each location.

• Though ERD systems are a costly addition to any business, it is most of the time worthwhile. ERD systems provide businesses with organized data that aids in more productivity. An ERD system will definitely come in handy for me in the future when I seek to start my own business. It will be a relief to have as it will allow me to evaluate all of the business data in a more concise way.

• As a supply chain management major, i think that utilizing an ERP can be very beneficial in the tracking of orders. Whether it be the tracking of past customers or current employees, an implemented ERP would make the process more fluent. Also, it could assist in the reduction of in-transit risk losses.

• ERP’s can use multiple programs at once, which keeps everything organized and together. Also, basically any company can use this because it has different functions such as product planning, manufacturing, purchases, etc. I could definitely see these being a huge part of the service industry. It is also a lot cheaper than other methods and can raise your production. It can really help you to grow and expand your company efficiently.

• At my previous work place, we used an ERP system to record information. ERP system is not just helpful for big companies but small companies and businesses as well. What is even better is that using an ERP system is not expensive compared to many other systems.

• Currently, I am a manager/bartender of a small business. The use of ERP’s could benefit my small business in a number of ways. An ERP would help new workers and old workers the same by being able to access various customer information through the use of the same computer; i.e. a bartender may be able to access a customer’s information to find out their particular choices in drink or food. This knowledge would allow for the employee ample preparation in order to offer excellent service.

• I am planning to be a tax accountant in the future after I take the CPA exam, and the ERP diagram can help me to set up and observe the whole management process easier at a glance. If I hire employees, I should know what they are doing exactly and the employees also should know what each person is doing for the company. The ERP is really essential for the realizing the whole process.

• In the pharmaceutical industry ERP’s are beneficial. They can track inventory, sales, production expenses, and various other aspects of the industry. The ERP systems keep the different departments within a company organized. Also, all the information within the company is tracked and valid.

• An ERP system would be useful for my future Risk Management career. It could be used to help with identifying a risk and the loss that might occur from that risk by being able to view all the data associated with it. With a new cyber risk emerging rapidly for businesses, the ERP system being able to give a real time view of data, it can allow for businesses to identify and plan for these risks very quickly.

• After doing the readings I have realized how much ERP can help in any industry. I work at a manufacturing plant that does currently use SAP. Before this class, I never realized that our company was using an ERP at all. I do not normally work closely with ERP, but have come to find out that it makes our company run smoothly. It is used across the board from planning and scheduling to inventory, to accounts payable and receivable. By having this system as the backbone, it creates a true view of my company’s status. It enables our company to have one system that contains all of the information, instead of going from database to database to connect the supplier to the incoming and all the way to the customer.