MIS 2101.702 – Amy Lavin – Fall 2017

Weekly Question #1

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 7, 2017. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Watch the Did You Know Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZiIO0YI7Y  

Comment below on what you thought was the most interesting fact and why. As current or future business leaders, what skills do you think are essential  for success in the digital economy?

37 Responses to Weekly Question #1

• The most interesting fact to me was that the U.S. Department of Labor estimated that today’s learners will have about 10-14 jobs by the age 38. When I first read that, I thought no way, but then when I thought about it I realized I have talked to so many adults and individuals that have switched their job courses and been in so many different fields just because that’s how things went. Probably all of my professors, when introducing themselves, have stated that their initial intention was never to be a professor but it happened. For digital economy to be successful, it is definitely necessary to educate the youth and those who will lead the future in technology, such as how we are being informed on MIS in this course right now.

• The most interesting fact to me was that the U.S. Department of Labor estimated that today’s learners will have 10-14 jobs by the time they are 38. At first I was shocked by this, but when I thinking about it, I realized how often it happens to people. Almost all of my professors, when introducing themselves, have explained that they never planned on being a professor or teaching a college class, but just from one thing leading to another, it happened. It makes me wonder what types of jobs I could end up in. For current and future business leaders to be successful with the digital economy, it is necessary that they are educated with the right materials, such as how we are being informed with this course.

• The fact that intrigued me the most was that by the time I graduate college in 2020 there will be ten million self driving cars on the road. That is crazy to me that artificial intelligence and technology has advanced enough for us to have cars that drive themselves. It goes to show how faced the world changes. With that I believe the most important skills for our generation to have in business are innovation, an open mind, and flexibility. If self driving cars are coming out in 2020, what will be coming out in 2030? If our generation can keep an open mind and are willing to be flexible we could find ourselves working a field that does not exist today. More likely than not, the more innovative people of our generation will be the ones inventing the fields.

• After watching the video, I think the most interesting fact presented was the one that stated that, for the first time in history, we’ve four generations working side by side. Even further, our means of communicating are all very different as well — traditionalists prefer writing, baby boomers prefer phone calls, gen-exers prefer email correspondence, and millennials prefer to text. This fact caught my interest, because it’s almost hard to believe that all four generations manage to coalesce while there is just an abrupt divide in communication preferences. Bouncing off of that, I believe one of the most important skill to have in order to succeed in the digital economy is the ability to adapt. Looking at the four generations, that is exactly what they did (and are doing). Each generation is adapting to the different preferences in communication so that they can all work together and succeed in the digital economy.

• The fact that was most interesting it that technology as advanced so quickly despite only being around for a short period. The technology especially used for communication. Take Facebook for example. It was only launched thirteen years ago yet has over 1.55 billion users. With traditionalist, baby boomers, gen x, and millennials generations, we all have different forms of communication we prefer. However, it seems like newer generations born that will be born in data economy will lean more towards using technology than say a pen and paper. While developing new technology is great and will assist in a better future, some qualities and talents can easily get forgotten. One of the biggest would be calligraphy. A beautiful type of writing that is already easily done on a computer. It was also shocking to know that people will have ten to fourteen jobs before they are thirty-eight. At twenty, I’ve only ever had two jobs so having another eight to twelve in the next eighteen years seems possible but I’m hoping to find an internship then jobs where I’ll hopefully stay for long-term.

• The fact that truly shocked me while watching the video is that the the number of people included in the 25% of people with the highest IQ in China is greater than the total population of people in North America. I always knew that China had a lot of people, but I don’t think I ever truly grasped how large it’s population really is until reading that fact. I feel quite small after learning that fact. It is crazy to think that technology gives us the ability to connect with any of those people at any given time, if we chose to do so. In the age of technology, I think it is really important for business leaders to be open minded and flexible in order to adapt to the continuous changes that accompany new technological advances. It is definitely not a time for people to be stuck in their ways since everything can change so quickly.

• None of the facts presented in the video necessarily came to me as a surprise. Being born and raised in a generation of technology, as most of us were, I think it’s easy to overlook how much technology and our way of life has changed. This video was a reminder of how much has changed and will change. I found it mind boggling that students today are preparing for careers that haven’t even been developed. The video stated that the top ten career jobs today barely even existed 10 years ago! It is unbelievable how technology continues to advance at such an astonishing speed and before our eyes.

• None of the facts presented in the video necessarily came to me as a surprise. Being born and raised in a generation of technology, as most of us were, I think it’s easy to overlook how much technology and our way of life has changed. This video was a reminder of how much has changed and will change. I found it mind boggling that students today are preparing for careers that haven’t even been developed. The video stated that the top ten career jobs today barely even existed 10 years ago! It is unbelievable how technology continues to advance at such an astonishing speed and before our eyes. It is also very interested that we have been able to evolve our education system to prepare for an ever changing world of technology.

• The most interesting fact that I took away from this video was that for the first time in history 4 generations are working together. Its truly amazing how communicating has changed so much, from writing a letter back in the day to texting being the new norm. It is very interesting that we are able to work side by side with different generations, with all the technology that surrounds us now, and how minimal it was back then. I believe the skills to be successful in a digital economy would be to have an open mind and to be technologically sufficient. Technology is growing every day, and no matter what generation you are in, it is important to step out of your comfort zone and keep up with those advancements.

• In my opinion, the most interesting fact presented in this video is that for students taking up a four year technical or college degree, “half of what they learned in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study.” Although the fact did not necessarily surprise me, I was still taken back by the fact that half of what students learned in their first year is outdated before the student graduates. I also taught it was interesting that “we are currently preparing students for jobs that don’t exist yet.” How do we know what to teach students if we are preparing them for a job that does not currently exist? Personally, I believe that adaptability is the most essential skill for success in the digital age. As we saw in the video four different generations are currently in the working force. Each of the four generations communicates differently, so it is important that members of all generations are able to adapt to different forms of communication.

• In my opinion, the fact I found most interesting is that for the first time we have 4 generations working side by side; along with the fact by our third year of study the curriculum we learned in our first year of study will be outdated. So, it is very interesting to see the different generations coexist in the work place and constantly learn from one another. The older generations may have the experience, where as the younger generations may have different techniques to help their experience translate more efficiently. I believe that this transfer of knowledge between the generation gaps is essential for success in the digital economy. As I mentioned before, the older generation may have that in depth knowledge of the field, where as the younger generation may have the tools to implement that information more effectively.

• Wow, that was both a fascinating and somewhat nerve-wrecking video. Seeing images of the 4 generations working together really hit home for me. I remember when having a cordless phone was a luxury. Nowadays many people don’t have a home phone landline. It was not surprising to me how many people use Facebook, or that it is the root of many marital issues. I also found the amount of money spent on Candy Crush mind boggling. Millions of dollars are going into a smartphone/tablet game.

I think that the future of the digital economy is going to explode even more. To think about computers that will be able to outsmart humans makes me think of those robot movies. I hope Terminator doesn’t become our reality. What I think will be key for the success is that we, as humans of all different generations, need to keep our minds in tune with what is new in the world, especially when it comes to technology. I think this is already becoming a huge threat/blessing to those people who are looking for work. CEOs are going to want someone who is ‘on top of the ball’ and constantly reading up on new material.

• The most interesting fact for me was that by 2020 not only would there be 75 billion devices connected to the internet, but there would be 10 million self-driving cars on the road. These facts are interesting because I graduate college in 2020 and it is only about 2.5 years away and so many devices would be connected to the internet and cars would drive themselves. Everything would be on the internet or controlled by your phone, our whole lives by then would be on devices. As a future business leader, I think the most important skill for success in the future is to be connected to technology and work with it. Different devices would be created and as business leaders, we have to adapt to them at the time to get our business. Also, this is crazy because nowadays everything is technology imagine in 2020, as they said 75 billion devices, who knows what will be created that year and the years after.

• The thought that we’re preparing for jobs, tech, and problems that don’t yet exist should be a constant reminder to us that we need to keep learning and developing relevant skills in order to maintain marketability throughout our working lives. I’ve often sat back and laughed to myself every election season when I hear people who lost factory jobs lamenting the loss of their jobs and holding on to a last shred of hope that their same old job will come back if they just elect the right person. Meanwhile, so many of them have done nothing to acquire new skills. What a bunch of fools, I think. How could they be so stupid to assume that things will always be the way they used to be? I would never let that happen to me. But the truth is, today it’s them and tomorrow it could be me.
    Even today’s hottest, most cutting edge jobs could be all but gone within the span of a career. The constantly evolving jobs market and the ever increasing likelihood that today’s jobs could become automated or obsolete means we must be prepared for constant change. If you have one degree, get two. If you speak two languages, make it three. If you rest on your current skills and success, then that is where you will be left behind.

• After viewing the video, the fact that surprised me and stood out the most for me was that a week’s worth of the New York Times contains more information than what an 18th century individual would learn during their lifetime. I did not realize the amount of information that is easily available everyday and every week to anyone with an internet connection. I figured that there was a large disparity in the available information from the 18th century until today, but I did not realize that what we can learn in a week is the same amount that an 18th century person could learn during their whole entire life. In order to be successful in the digital economy, I think that individuals need to be flexible to using new technologies and more receivable to technological ideas. Technology is being created everyday, which, if used in the correct situation and manner, can be used to operate a business more efficiently.

• After watching this video, I thought it was interesting that students are already being prepped for jobs that do not exist yet. It is weird to think that technology is changing more and more each day, creating more jobs. Also, the most in demand jobs that were created just because of the increase in technology. It makes me think about how many jobs no longer exist because of the introduction in technology. It is essential for future business leaders to know all basics of technology; whether it is social media, data analytics, etc. At this point, it is crucial for business leaders to know how to manage their technical workers.

• One of the many facts I found interesting is the fact that for the first time in history, there are 4 generations working together. This seems interesting that for some reason this has not happened before and gets me wondering what change happened to make this possible. For success in the digital economy, people should have a vast knowledge in technology, how it works, and how it is used. People do not necessarily have to know how to program and what not but should be educated on the basics of technology and should be constantly using it and being open to innovation.

• Excellent responses so far! Many of you mentioned the 4 generations working together at once as the standout – I agree, that one gets me every time and is really crucial when you think about the adaptability you’ll need to work with the various groups of people. The other fact that really gets me is how MUCH MONEY Candy Crush makes on a monthly basis! What if you could come up with a concept like switching candies around, market and sit back and watch the money roll in! In all honesty, my biggest takeaway from the video is that we need to learn to think from a systems perspective – people, processes and technology – and apply that in business situations. I look forward to the rest of your comments!

• After watching the video, one of the most interesting things that stood out to me was the video’s population prediction. In the beginning of the video, it says that there are 7.3 billion people in the world and by the year 2050, there will be about 10 billion people. It soon after mentioned how everyone born will be born into a data economy, and as true as that is, with the rise of population, there will also be a rise of people without access to any type of electronics. Many of those who are less fortunate may not be able to have access to streaming movies and shows or are able to contribute to Candy Crush’s success. Although there are many other people in the world who can contribute, there are still a lot of people who cannot. I believe the success of many companies would be much greater if every single person had access to technology

• One of the most interesting facts in the video I found was the honor population of China an India outweigh our entire population. This has been something I’ve been told before but i did not realize the scope of it until now. For success in the digital economy one needs to take a look at not only what works now, but how something doesn’t work so that it can be improved. In the video it was explained that we now have 4 generations of individuals working side by side. These people are accessing information in different ways. So for example I have a class that has an option for a digital text book. However the application is very difficult to use, the web interface is excellent, and the paper text has it’s benefits as well. However the focus would be to improve the application so those other costs may not be as needed. For someone who uses their phone or tablet more than carrying traditional books this could not only be a hindrance to their education but their wallet as well. Even the digital copies of text are expensive to help offset the cost of needing to provide a paper alternative. Furthermore if say for example a textbook manufacturer were to forgo paper all together, but by having the text updated rather than reprinted they would potentially save time money and effort by eliminating that need. In conclusion for a business or entity to survive in this digital economy we live in, one must be able to adapt to what is presented, analyze what can be improved, and make those changes before anyone else sees a need for it. This keeps them up to date and prevents loss due to becoming stale.

• After watching the “Did you know” video, I found the most interesting fact to be the length of time technical predictions are “furthered out” past 15 years are hard to make. Since we are relying more and more on technology to manage processes and make predictions, I was quite surprised to learn the outcome of the application we are relying on to rule the world cannot be predicted past 15 years. I believe the most useful skill to have for success in the digital world is adaptability. Given that “half of what students starting a four-year Technical or college degree will learn in the first year of study will be outdated by their third year”, to me it is critical to continuously stay up-to-date with the latest developments and digital recommendations. This simple trait could be the compass to your future and overall success.

• The most interesting fact to me in this video was that a person will have 10-14 jobs by the time they are 38 years old. That seems very far fetched to me. I know that as of recent it’s very rare to see someone stay in the same workplace for a long period of time. However, with that being said, 10-14 jobs means that you’re switching workplaces within every 2 years. I work in the accounting office here at Temple University and I’ve seen a few people in the office use this platform as an entry level posistion. Yes, many leave before two years or have the intention of doing so, but their goal is to find a workplace that they can stay in for a good amount of time. I would estimate that number is closer to 5 rather than 10-14.

What this shows to me as a future business leader is that employees are less loyal than before. Many workers seem to be trying to build a resume instead of attempting to move through the ranks of the company like people used to do. However, I do not blame them as many highly regarded and well paying companies require a ton of experience to even be considered for certain jobs. To prevent all of the moving around that people are doing, companies need to do a better job of compensating their employees for their work, and allowing people to move through the ranks to give them goals to reach. Everyone needs to feel that they are a part of the company, and if they don’t feel that they are then they are going to find a place where they do.

• While watching this video I thought that a lot of things were very interesting however what stuck out to me most was that 2020 75 Billion devices will be connected to the internet. In 2020 approximately 7.5-8 billion people will be on the world, and that is only about 1/10th of the devices connected. That would mean that lots of people have devices connected to the internet. I had never really thought about it, but I alone probably have 7-10 devices connected. It is most likely however that a portion of people do not even have one device connected to the internet, which makes the fact that 75 billion would be connected even greater.

• There were so many interesting facts in the world, but there were two that really stuck out for me. The first was how all four generations will be working together. It will be interesting to see what we can all learn from each other and how we will co-exist in the workplace. The second fact I found intriguing was that there will be 75 billions devices connected to the internet and 10 million self-driving cars on the road by 2020, which is the year I will be graduate. It feels as if non-self-driving cars are going to be obsolete in less than 3 years, which is crazy to think about. I just hope that people to not become too reliant on technology. As a hopeful future business leader, I think skills that will be essential include the ability to adapt to technological changes, a curiosity to discover new possibilities of technology, and being able to work well in a team. Innovative business leaders working together as a team will surely lead to more and more technological advances.

• What stood out the most to me was the fact that we currently have four generations working side by side today. These four generations prefer communicating in different ways; the traditionalist via handwriting, the boomer via phone call, the gen exer via email, and of course the millennial via text, yet they are all able to, not only coexist, but thrive in a work environment despite their differences. This shows that adaptability is a trait that cannot be underestimated or undervalued today, and going into the future as well. It’s a skill necessary for success in the digital economy, because things can and will be changing constantly.

• Something that stood out to me was that every minute, there is 24 hours worth of video uploaded on Facebook. That was definitely the most interesting fact to me because it just shows you how crazy today’s society is with social media. In order to be a successful digital economy, I believe that there must training. There are many times where I noticed that a person is very educated but is missing the technology and does not know what to do. Therefore, I believe that everyone must be trained yearly with updates on the new technology in order to be successful.

• For myself, the most interesting fact was that 8 zettabytes of unique new data were created in 2015, which is more than the previous 5,000 years. While data creation and consumption is nothing new, the sheer volume and to see an actual figure associated with it is what I found intriguing. It really connects all the pieces for emerging needs that are reshaping all aspects of businesses today.

Everything from marketing and advertising to consumers,to collecting information and new database designs, to different ways of analyzing all of this information and more are what drives the demand for more advances and are necessary skills for the fast-moving digital economy. It is exactly the reason why students today will take courses that will be obsolete or dated before they graduate and why we are being prepared for jobs that do not exist, with technology that has not been invented, to solve problems that we have no idea exist. For example, MIS was not a major offered many years ago, and the courses outlined focus on all areas of business which is needed in this transforming industry.

• I would say the part that stood out to me the most during the video would be the estimation that the amount of information that could be found in one weeks worth of the New York Times is greater than the amount of information someone in the 18th century would come across in a lifetime. If that is even close to true, then anyone with access to the internet and a few hours of spare time can even exceed that amount of information. I also find it hard to believe that by 2020 there will be 10 million self driving cars on the road. As an automotive enthusiast, the concept of the self driving car seems very foreign to me and although I have read about a handful of recent successes with the new technology, 2020 seems so close to be seeing them on the road on a regular basis.

• What I thought was the most interesting was that the top in-demand jobs that barely existed 10 years ago are iOS and Android Developer, Cloud services specialist, Social Media Inter, UI/UX designer, Data scientist, Big data architect, digital marketing manager. Jobs that are in-demand are ones using technology. Technology is the new advantage because having technology makes your life easier. For example, If you have a question about what dogs can and cannot eat, you can easily search for the answer on Google, but if you did not have the technology you would have to either have to go the your veterinarian or library. Technology gives you a much quicker and easier way of doing things that is why it is in very high demand.

• After watching this video, the most interesting part is that for the first time we have 4 generations working side by side. It blows my mind that while in school, during our third year of study, the curriculum we learned in our first year will be outdated. It is amazing how quickly information is adapting and losing relevance. It is inspiring and also mesmerizing to see all of these different generations coexisting in the work force. It truly shows that people are willing to learn from each other and listen to what others have to say. It seems obvious to me, that the older generations hold more experience and knowledge, while the younger generations go a different direction than older generations based on what they grew up into. The transfer of knowledge between generations is key in the future of our society. People have been known to learn from one another and can gain the most knowledge from experience.. Giving people the benefit of the doubt and learning their strategies i only going to benefit generations to come and make the country better off in the end.

• What I found to be the most interesting part of this video was when it mentioned 75 billions devices will be connected to the internet by the year 2020. I find that number so unbelievably frightening considering the issues we already have with keeping systems safe from hackers. In just this year and last year alone, hospitals and multi-billion dollar businesses have been held at ransom by these groups. The more and more devices and systems that become connected to the internet, means more and more vulnerability to these attacks. As future business leaders, I think that the skills necessary for success would be skills such as being educated in all facets of technology, especially those that can protect your company and self.

• I think the most interesting thing mentioned in the video was the fact that a week’s worth of NY Times even contains more information than a typical person in the 18th century would have come across in his/her entire lifetime. This totally captures how much information we have come to create and process everyday living in a data and technology-driven world. Terms like screen addict and cyber security pop up quite a lot these days not in data class but business-relevant classes like marketing and risk management. We adapt to new technologies so quickly that the idea of being cut off from wifi and electronic devices really makes me panic. In such a connected world where everything is linked through a mouse click, business leaders no longer leave technical jobs to IT guys, instead, it is important to educate themselves on how to manage and have it under control in order to gain benefits from it and not the other way round.

• The most interesting aspect of that video was the statistic they gave on a four year technical student and the rate of technological advancement or information. It was stated that the amount of new technical information is doubling every two years which mean for technical students that there topic that will be outdated or obsolete by the time they are done school. The education system simply isn’t keeping up with the ever expanding world of technology. This is important because if the United States or any country for that matter wants to keep up and continue advancing the technical field they must adapt to this new environment with a different approach to those education systems. As the video explained schools are trying to prepare students for jobs and problems that don’t yet exist. This is a huge task considering the lack of ability to predict the future. As for skills needed to be a successful business leader either now or in the future, you need three main skills; critical thinking, creativity, and adaptability. Critical thinking is important because people are being faced with problems and obstacles never seen before as a result of new technologies and their effects on the business world such as cyber security. One needs to be able to think critically and problem solve effectively to survive in the digital age. Creativity comes not play because old methods aren’t going to apply to new technologies all the time we need to be creative enough to offer new solutions and new ways of doing business in the digital world. Finally you need adaptability because new information is constantly being discovered and new technology developed. This means that a student entering the work force must be able to adapt to new technologies and systems that they never learned about and comfortably assimilate to the constantly changing norms of the digital community.

• There are several things I think is interesting about this video
    1.The video reminded me that I have to admit that internet changed our lives.The majority of us use our phone and computer everyday and we can not live without the internet
    2.I never knew there are so many babies who will born this year and I never knew how many learner will have jobs by the age of 38.I think it is impossible to calculate such a big data,but the researcher did it through using technology and internet.It is incredible.
    3.I think it is the most interesting thing in this video that many couples met online and they married.At the same time,there were many divorces which blamed on Facebook and I think the reason of these divorces was that they were addicted to the internet and neglected the communication between husband and wife.It is a really funny thing.
    By the way,I think the most important skill which is essential for success in the digital economy is proficient in computer and internet.

• The rate at which new information is learned was astonishing to me. The fact that half of what a student learns in their first year of study becomes outdated by their third year of study is troubling to me. I don’t know how we could ever keep up with that stream of information. It made me feel a little hopeless, if I am being honest. It reinforced a sentiment that I already have about the way our educational system is set up. I feel like it needs an overhaul. I think about how many of my classes are repetitive and focused on teaching methods and concepts that are long outdated because of technology. I also wish that we started teaching coding as part of a required curriculum as early as elementary code. Simply teaching students how to use computers and technology is not enough. Computers essentially run our world and are the major means of communication. In order to stay competitive in the global economy, the United States needs to shift from teaching how to use technology to how to create technology.

• The video provided so many interesting facts! I love how we live in a generation where we have embraced the importance of working together side by side. Also, in this new age of technology, our ways of communicating have changed drastically between each generation. Another fun fact that was interesting was if you are one in a million in China, there are approximately 1,300 people just like you. I don’t know about you, but it makes me want to work hard even more in order to stand out, haha.

• The most interesting fact was that schools are preparing students for jobs that don’t exist and for students who are starting their first year at college, half of what they learn in their first year will be outdated by their third year. This means if we do not continue to learn about new technological advances we may be left behind, not only in business but in our everyday lives. Therefore, I believe that the most essential skill for success in the digital economy is the desire or willingness to learn about new technology and possess the ability to quickly and constantly adapt.