MIS 2101.702 – Amy Lavin – Fall 2017

Weekly Question #3

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 21, 2017. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we reviewed Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some other areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

42 Responses to Weekly Question #3

• Oher than information systems, these concepts can be used to almost break down anything. It can be a detailed, technical process or just a simple plan that can be mapped out more neatly. A decision tree could be very helpful in the hiring process of a new employee. If a new employee was considered, all the steps could be mapped out on where to go from there, but if an applicant wasn’t considered, you can map out those steps to see where you would go from there.

• There are plenty of situations other than information systems where decision trees can be useful. The first that comes to mind is the process behind enrolling for certain courses. For instance, in order to enroll in BA 3103 we must complete FIN 3101, MSOM 3101, MIS 2101, and RMI 2101. Then from there, each of those courses have their own sets of prerequisites; take FIN 3101 for example, we must pass ECON 1101, ECON 1102, STAT 2103, and ACCT 2102. Going even further, before we can register for ACCT 2102 we must complete ACCT 2101, and before we can register for STAT 2103 we must complete STAT 1001 and STAT 1102 respectively. A decision tree would be a useful tool for diagramming which course to take depending on which prerequisites have and have not yet been fulfilled.

• I personally think these concepts could help break down anything we do in life, not only information systems. It could be through anything we do in life, anything that you have to be thinking about. An example is if you were a senior in high school planning to go to college. You would think about the weather, area, population, distance, and etc. Each of these would lead to the other, meaning if you wanting a place that is warm and close by it would be a certain college and so on. These concepts can help us in making many any decisions and we do this without even knowing we are creating a decision tree in our minds.

• Decision trees can be used in so many areas that revolve around breaking decisions down. For instance, when you’re looking for a new job you are going through a decision tree in your head. Does this fit my major? Do they offer benefits? Is it a 9-5 job? What is the salary? Etc. This concept displays our possible outcomes for us in our day to day lives. A decision tree is a useful tool in work, school, at home, really anywhere that choices need to be made in a more efficient way.

• I think decision trees would be helpful during a think tank session where several professionals would work together, brainstorm ideas and come up with solutions to various problems within their organization. A decision tree would allow the think tankers to view all possible outcomes of a specific choice which would allow them to make better decisions and offer a clear depiction of the effect of their decisions.

• I think decision trees would be helpful during a think tank session where several professionals would work together, brainstorm ideas and come up with solutions to various problems within their organization. For example, if a company acknowledges that they are not doing as well as their competitors, they may do a reorg and/or bring on new management. In this scenario, a decision tree would allow the think tankers to view all possible outcomes of a specific choice which would allow them to make better decisions and offer a clear depiction of the outcomes due to their decisions.

• Decision trees are used very often in everyday live, as we saw in class, a decision tree can be used for something as simple and choosing whether you should eat bacon. Decision trees would be very helpful for retail businesses in deciding what type of products to sell and how much inventory is needed. Many types of retail business find that what they sell is largely dependent on the location of the business, the season/weather, what items are currently popular, as well as many other factors. A decision tree would then allow a retail business to answer those questions that affect what they sell and how much of the item they sell to insure that the business has an appropriate inventory.

• Decision trees can be helpful in analyzing a decision which contains numerous factors which the result is contingent upon. It could be helpful with something like deciding what job to accept. The tree could guide you through the conditions of each offer and help you navigate the factors which will determine which job which is best. You could select a path based on factors such as pay, location, benefits, environment, etc.

• Decision trees can are applicable far beyond just the world of MIS. Decision trees can be helpful in analyzing a decision which contains numerous factors which the result is contingent upon. It could be helpful with something like deciding what job to accept. The tree could guide you through the conditions of each offer and help you navigate the factors which will determine which job which is best. You could select a path based on factors such as pay, location, benefits, environment, etc.

• There are many instances where a decision tree could be used besides information systems. They can be useful for day-to-day life decisions. For example, when deciding what to do for the day. The tree would help lay out what you would do in case something else gets cancelled. Factors that would influence your decision could be the weather, transportation, who you’re hanging out with, etc. They can simply be used for absolutely anything. Decision making is a daily thing everyone does multiple times a day.

• I love working with children and learning about toys that teach kids about colors, numbers, animals, or just plain logic. I think decision trees could be used in the toy industry. For instance, “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” is a children’s book that is filled with examples of cause and effect that can easily fit into a decision tree.
    You could also use them for a family safety plan to ensure proper planning in case of an emergency. For instance, what should a family member do if the power is out, or if there is a hurricane. It is good to have a plan where other circumstances are thought through in order to prevent further panicking.

• The decision tree can be used in many different situations. In my opinion, a decision tree is one of the most useful out of all of the things we went over because it gives you every possible outcome of a certain situation. Decision trees can be helpful when a company hires a new employee and gives him or her the decision tree. The reason this will be helpful is because that employee will have a way less chance of messing up anything and wasting company money. He or she will know what to do in every situation. It also prevents a worker from stressing and less stress in a company eventually leads to better work.

• Decision trees are pretty much used in everything, we just don’t realize it. We make decision trees in our heads without even realizing it, whether it is what you want to eat or whether to apply for a certain job. Decision trees are also used by companies to hire people depending on certain qualities and traits the company is looking for. I make decision trees when deciding what classes to take the upcoming semester. I make decisions depending on the times, the teacher, if I am eligible to take it yet, etc. which really helps me pick out the perfect schedule for me.

• I see decision trees being used for anything in anyone’s everyday life. We use them to make decisions no matter how big or small. They can be used to decide whether or not a student will go to class in the morning after a night out or even used to decide what job would be best for that person. It is one of the most useful tools we utilize in our everyday lives without even knowing it.

• Decisions trees are an amazing way of putting information in an organized setting so that people can follow a structured set of directions to figure out the solution. For example, if USPS wants to know how much a shipment is going to cost they could use a decision tree to find out. Is the package domestic or international? Is it in-state or out-of-state? Is it above or below 25 pounds? This all can be followed simply using a decision tree instead of reading through a ton of steps. Another example where a business tree can be useful is at a tech support place such as Apple. If the computer is having this problem then have the user try these steps, if not send the message to a senior adviser so that he/she can take over. The last example is an electrician. Let us say that the electrician works for a company and isn’t a private contractor. There is a problem with a panel inside of the power box. He could use a set of steps via a decision tree to easily solve this problem. It will keep his work organized, and will allow him to do his job much more efficiently. Decision trees help paint a picture for following directions and coming to a solution. In any job that you do, decision trees can be useful.

• Decision trees can be used in just about anything. They are so important in workplaces especially, however you can find them useful in everyday life situations. In workplaces, they are mainly used to help someone such as a technician, technology support employee, accountants, and many others solve issues via the use of directions. They create a guideline to keep what workers are doing more organized. At home you can use these to weigh out what you want to do this weekend. If your friends come to town and you save enough money throughout the week then you guys will go to the movies, if not you’ll have to stay home and play video games. However, if they don’t come then you’ll go to the movies with your girlfriend instead even if you’re not doing well with money.

• Since decision tree is more or less a template to guide a decision/solution/ answer to a problem, there is no limit to where it can be applied. In business, it can be very helpful in many areas such as hiring process, training new employees what to do in which situation, guiding template for designing a logo, slogan, product following a company’s code, or acting as a manual for a company to find its way out of a rising crisis. Decision tree can also be an important tool for scientists when it comes to researching, studying and classifying a particular species within a kingdom. For example, a newly discovered shark is classified through a process where scientists observe whether this particular shark has anal fins or no anal fins, dorsal fins or no dorsal fins etc to track down its specific species within the shark family.

• Decision trees can be used in many different situations outside of MIS and information systems. As a part of my job, there are decisions I need to make but it is up to what my higher up’s answers for some projects. Depending on what they say (yes or no), affects what my next move will be. Using decision trees would help me map out all of the possibilities I can take and better organize all the tasks I have to make.

• Weather we realize it or not we use decision trees every day in our lives. I work in a technical support call center and i advise my agents to make decisions based on customer interactions and investigation techniques. The troubleshooting process is one giant decision tree. it starts with identifying the issue then narrowing down the possible causes through questions. As the agents gets more information they can make decisions that lead them down a troubleshooting path to make needed corrections to a customers account to restore service.

• Other than information systems, decision trees can be used in many aspects of life. Decision trees can be used in the post office, like many of our examples, to calculate the shipping charges for a package. Decision trees can be used to map out different plans an individual may have for their day. In my job now, credit scores can lead to a number of different options. Decision trees can show what happens if a credit score is good enough to get a mortgage or if it is not what step needs to be taken next, and so on.

• Aside from information systems, these concept can work in any situation. Decision trees, however, might be the most useful. It can be used to be any decision and shows the clear process and result. We likely use decision trees without even realizing it. Once you make one decision, it leads to this step, and so on until you come to a conclusion. I feel that most decision trees are abstract whereas in a business operation, it’d be better to have a physical tree to review from.

• All the concepts we have gone over could be used in many situations, however, decision trees can be used daily. We probably use a smaller version of a decision tree when we’re making decision. If I do this, this happens or that happens. In a business operation, it’s be better to have a physical copy to refer to rather than keeping it all organized in your head. Decision trees make it easier to see the processes and how it leads to the conclusion.

• Al the concepts we went over could be used in any situation, however, decision trees might be more common. We likely use a smaller and more abstract version of decision trees when we need to decide on anything. You do one thing and it leads to this step or to the outcome you need. In a business operation, it would be better to have a physical copy of the decision tree to go back and review as needed. Decision trees are definitely used more than people think about. It may not be thought about on a high level but the simple question of doing something leading to this result is definitely used everyday.

• Decisions trees can be used in pretty much every aspect of life where a decision is involved. I could use a decision tree when deciding what I am going to eat for dinner. The first decision would be am I going to be home for dinner. If yes then I will eat what my family eats. If no then I have to figure out where I am going to be and what my options are. If I drew one of these up for myself it could make my decision much easier. I could also use decision trees for deciding what sneakers or clothes to buy, whether or not to go to the movies etc. Decision trees are used in every aspect of life and we do not even realize it.

• On my opinion, decision tress not only can be used in the information system or some program, but also can be applied in our daily life. For instance, When I intend to choose classes in the beginning of the semester, I need to consider a great deal of things, such as which classes I have to choose to make sure I can graduate successfully, and which teacher ‘ s class is nice and will be easy to get a high grade, and if the classes are full what I should do in the next step. Anyway, decision tress will make all of theses things more clearly and easier.

• I found that decision trees were useful when I coded for various programs to visualize what I was doing. Many times when you are coding a program to allow a user to have multiple options whether it be in a list of answers or given input from the user it enables the coder to visualize the different situations you have to code and trouble shoot if it is not functioning properly. More advanced programers use decision trees in AI design for video games for the same application.

• Some other areas, other than information systems, decision trees could be really helpful whenever you have to make a decision. For example, you can use a decision tree to help you choose what you want to be for Halloween. If one costumer is short you might be cold and if the other requires face paint it could make you break-out. Using a more professional situation would be if you should pick on job offering over another. One comes with a full insurance plan and the other doesn’t, but the other one gives you a company car and your own office. These are just two examples of different areas where you can use a decision tree, but there are so many more. You could technically use a decision tree whenever you have to make a decision, which is everyday!

• I think a decision tree could be used in all types of scenarios, including an everyday task. One example to me would be deciding if you want to go a nice restaurant or just to order food. You ask yourself what is on tv that night. Is my TV show on tonight? Will I miss it if I go out to dinner? Also you have to ask yourself how much dinner will cost vs how much getting a pizza delivered would cost. What is my budget? If I have over 60 dollars, then that should be enough to go to a nice restaurant with one more person. If not, I might have to look into just saving my money for the day and ordering a pizza. This is a simple example but it has room to be expanded on with more questions to answer. Examples could be ,”Am I eating by myself?” or “What kind of food am I in the mood for?”.

• As most everyone has stated, decision trees can be applicable to almost any situation where any kind of decision making is involved. Personally, a situation where I could have used a decision tree to better organize and find direction was when I was building my race car. There were many times where I purchased items on a whim that I later realized may have not been the best for my application. If i had used a decision tree, I could have sat down for a moment and dissected all the different types of products, and saved a lot of time and money in choosing and testing the right application for the car.

• I have been working at a manufacturing facility for the past few years. I have found that operations on the floor get very messy and sometimes disorganized. I believe a large portion of this is due to workers not being able to make the right decision on their own. Decision trees can help with this since they give direction and explain “what to do in scenario x or y”.

• As many people have already mentioned, decision trees can be applied in day-to-day operations. In fact, we use decision trees subconsciously in just about everything we do; from dieting to buying clothes or even accepting a new job or career path. Instead of mapping out and creating a visual diagram, we calculate it very quickly in our heads before providing an answer or making a choice. Unfortunately, our “subconscious decision-making tree techniques” don’t just end. Instead, we find new routes and discover alternative options as we go along. To name a specific area in life many people would find a decision trees helpful is family planning. There are countless times people always ask the question, “should we have kids or should we have more kids”. As we all know, this is a VERY important decision that needs to be weighted and looked at from every angle; financially, emotionally, physically and mentality.

• As many people have already stated, decision trees can be useful in everyday life in addition to the business world. Personally, I have seen decision trees many times before on the internet without knowing what they were called. Decision trees can be used to motivate people to do a particular task if they are trying to talk themselves out of it. For example, I think I have seen a decision tree titled “Should I go to the gym?” that ultimately tells people unless there really is an emergency, they should go to the gym. In a less humorous sense, I could see decision trees being useful tools for people learning photography. A decision tree can be used to help decide what shutter speeds and aperture someone should be using in particular settings. Since that may be a particularly confusing concept for first time learners to grasp, the decision tree could serve as a useful guide to help them decide what settings to use.

• We use decision trees unconsciously in everyday life. We analyze our options and determine different alternatives in everything we do. One specific example is wedding planning. My eldest brother is getting married next year and the planning gets pretty stressful. A decision would be very helpful in many of the decisions they have to make. For instance, Indian vs American food? Buffet style or Formal 3 course dinner? Decision trees can be helpful with the attire as well. Will the dress be an Indian or American bridal gown? If Indian, will it be imported? If American, will you get designer or budget friendly dress? The list of examples decision trees could be helpful for are endless.

• We use decision tress unconsciously every day. We analyze and determine our alternatives and make the most productive decision. Decision trees can be very helpful for wedding planning specifically. For example, my eldest brother is getting married next year, and the process of planning it can get pretty hectic. A decision tree can be helpful for picking out attire. Will it be an Indian or American traditional bridal gown? If Indian, will it be imported? If American, will it be a designer gown or budget friendly? If it’s an American dress, will it have sleeves, a high neck, or be lace? The list can go on forever, but decision trees are good for any situation that have multiple alternatives.

• One instance for which I, as well as everyone else, uses a decision tree is deciding what to eat for dinner. Questions such as do I want to use a meal swipe or use cash form where we decide to eat. From there we can answer questions such as take our or order in, to decide whether we eat at the restaurant of bring it home with us. And even once we’ve decided where to eat, decision trees help us decide what to order as well, while we ask ourselves questions such as hot or cold meal, and so on. Decision trees affect nearly every decision throughout our day, whether we realize it or not.

• A decision tree would be useful in any situation that has many possible outcomes and a fair amount of questions such as, “If this, then that…” They are useful roadmaps which explore many possibilities that one can entertain and to have set parameters. This could be useful in everyday dilemmas and could have a pragmatic approach. This type of graph would be useful at home if you are remodeling a room. For instance, you could create a decision tree with all of the specifics regarding which lighting fixtures you like, flooring options, choices of paint color, curtains/blinds, furniture, arrangement, throw rug, etc. A decision tree designed in this fashion could represent different options which you find aesthetically pleasing and which paint color would match best with the brushed nickel or bronze lighting fixtures. Depending on the lighting fixture which flooring would be more cohesive with the paint and lighting options, and so on. It could also be a great way to map out your Holiday shopping. If you have a list of family and friends whom you purchase gifts for and are unsure what you should get them this could be very useful. I often take into consideration what gifts I purchased for someone and how long ago I gave them the specific gift. Who really would want the same gift year after year? A gift decision tree would help you decide if you should buy your father tickets to a Flyers game two years in a row or maybe to take notice of the condition of his jacket, which he has had forever, next time you are with him and answer the question, if his jacket significantly worn you should buy him a jacket and if not you will buy the Flyers tickets.

I am envisioning a decision tree being used when a new product is being tested. There are many trials when developing a new product and this could help especially when user testing is being taken into account. It could answer questions for the business to ensure that the product is created with its original intended purpose and to reach their target and design cost. The user can contribute their wants and needs from the product based by testing the prototype and offering suggestions, likes/dislikes, etc. This could be made into a decision tree by taking the suggestions from the user testing phase and mapping out the questions such as, “Do we have money remaining in our budget?” Users testing the product suggested a touch-screen or virtual reality features. An answer of “No” would lead to “Substitute a feature that did not test well?” or “Revisit next year when releasing the newer version.” An answer of “Yes” or “Substitute a feature that did not test well?” would lead you to an additional feature option stated as “Added touch-screen option” or “Include A Virtual Reality Headset.” The branches could have many different options taken away or added depending on the cost and/or user feedback. Either of which could help lower the cost or increase its appeal to consumers with only a small increase in cost or no additional cost if an unwanted option was replaced.

Decision trees are very practical and allows people to gain insight into the direction they are heading in without making costly mistakes along the way.

• I could see decision trees being really helpful when almost any serious decision has to be made. Decision trees help people narrow down their decisions and quickly come to conclusions. For example, I would want to use a decision tree when deciding on whether to take a class or not. I would first ask if I need the class, then if the credits are sufficient. If yes, does the class fit in my schedule? Then I would decide whether the teacher was supposedly good or bad. This decision tree could add more layers, like if the class is twice a week or three times a week. The decision tree would end up with me either taking the class or starting over with a whole new class. By using a decision tree, I would be able to quickly stop looking at a class that I would not need or fit my schedule. I would be able to save time in my roster selection by using this decision tree.

• As many of the others have stated, decision trees could be used in so many aspects of our everyday life. Examples could include choosing how we spend our money, or as Kaitlynn mentioned, decisions like deciding to go to the gym. I think I use decision trees, knowingly or not, when deciding how to best use my time for leisure vs. school vs. work. I don’t ever get to the point of making a decision tree or writing out a chart. However, I do get to the point where I have to weigh my pros and cons on one decision over another. If we can find a way to make use of decision trees in something as simple as time management, imagine what we will be able to accomplish with decision trees when we apply them to much more detailed operations, especially as it will pertain to our future work and endeavors.

• Maybe this is a stretch, but when I think about decision trees, I think about NFL quarterbacks. Every time a QB steps under center, he is faced with a myriad of things to analyze and decisions to make based on that analysis. Is a blitz on? If so, will the called play be successful against it? If yes, continue, if no, audible. He also analyzes pass coverage to determine if he’s facing zone or man coverage. Is anyone double teamed? Has the defense substituted a weaker player who can be exploited? Even in selecting a receiver, the quarterback is going through a progression of decisions. Who is his primary target? Is he open? If yes, throw. If no, move to the next receiver in progression. Because he is running through this type of logical series so frequently, a decision tree becomes a great way to express the decisions. Great quarterbacks can read a defense and react according to their observations, turning an ill timed play call into something more successful in part because of the decision trees they run through in their heads.

• Decision Trees can be helpful in most day to day things we do to help guide someone who may have never done it before. I also believe that it can help people analyze how long it may take to complete each task in the tree to get to the final product/item or decision. Decision trees can also provide a path for someone who is trying to reach a goal by keeping process organized in order to get the final goal.

• Decisions trees are something that can be used in almost any type of situation, and are made in our heads every single day. One way I think they can be very helpful is when deciding what ways to spend your money. There are hundreds of different things to spend money on each month, and making a decision tree based on the amount of income you have, the most important things to buy, what outstanding bills or loans you have, and what disposable income you have can be very helpful. Decision trees can help when planning a budget to make sure that you are being wise with your money and setting yourself up to be successful.

• Decision trees can easily be applied to real life decisions. One may be indecisive of what they should do when it comes to making a big decision or simple decision, like what you should do with your free time. For example, if I was struggling with whether or not I wanted to take a class, I could create a decision tree. The decision tree would allow me to break down my decision and the decisions may arise from each possible choice. Decision trees can be helpful in bringing organization to everyday life.