MIS 2101.701 – Amy Lavin – Summer 2017

Weekly Question #2

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on May 30, 2016. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

This week, we reviewed Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some other areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

45 Responses to Weekly Question #2

• In information systems, we use decision trees when constructing databases. However, there are other uses for decision trees. One situation where a decision tree would be helpful would be to decide between two options. For example, say you want to go on vacation with your family, but you can’t decide between two destinations. You could make a decision tree based on the weather of that location (if it is going to rain at one location, do not go there; if it is not going to rain at the other location, choose that location), flight prices, hotel prices, amount of activities, etc. “Decision” trees can be extremely helpful when trying to “decide” on something.

• Other than the Business world, they can be used pretty in everyday life situations. If one has a good experience with decision trees in the business world, they can then translate it to the real world, when problems or decisions arise and need to be made. Decision trees are helpful, not only because they are graphics that help you ‘see’ what you are thinking, but also because making a decision tree requires a systematic, documented thought process. Often, the biggest limitation of our decision making is that we can only select from the known alternatives. Decision trees help formalize the brainstorming process so we can identify more potential solutions. Applied in real life, At times decision trees can be very complex and end up including pages of options. But, regardless of the complexity, decision trees are all based on the same principles. And someone we good experience or an extensive background in decision trees from the business world can perfectly translate to the real world.

• When you get two great job offer and not sure which one to pick. I think, we all would love to have a situation like this and use Decision Tree. It will make our lives much more easier.

• In my opinion, I think that a decision tree can be helpful not only in business, but also in personal choices as well. Decision tree makes everything easier to be understood. It is also helpful for those people who don’t know how to make decision come to a better decision. Decision tree is also a great tool to plan out a study plan or daily schedule. It laid everything out and it helps you to make the best decision.

• Decision trees, Business Rules, and Conceptual Architecture Diagrams are all very helpful tools used within many industries and fields. An example of a time where a decision tree could be very helpful, is really anytime someone makes an important decision by analyzing the potential outcomes before making the decision. Decision trees are a very detailed way of mapping out the decision-making process by analyzing the decisions and the outcomes that follow each choice made. This allows for the decision maker to clearly display the decision-making process and outcomes in an orderly diagram. One area, other than Information systems, where a decision tree could be helpful is in the restaurant business. Closing and opening restaurants properly are very important because if something is not cleaned, refilled, or counted right then it will negatively affect the overall business. I used to work at a restaurant and it was very important to follow each step of the closing process accordingly before closing or opening. If we had used decision tree models to outline these processes, it would have made the entire process much simpler and clearly displayed, ultimately leaving less room for error.

• Decision trees can help people make positive choices regardless of the subject. For example, when choosing which college to attend you could use a decision tree to outline the perks and potential experience of multiple schools. Included in the decision tree could be distance from home and how that effects your life, tuition costs and student loan debt, is it a small school or big school, etc. By using the decision tree to outline the possibilities of multiple options, you can give yourself a view of which path is best for you. Having the ability to see what each path has in store allows us to make the best decisions possible.

• Decision trees can be helpful in analyzing any situation that has several possible outcomes, and that has yes or no answers to arrive at each outcome. I can see a decision tree being very helpful at work if you have a job that involves a certain process. For example, say you worked as a Credit Analyst. If someone applies for credit, you could follow the branch corresponding to how much money they make, which might take you to what their credit score is, which might tell you whether or not to lend to that person. Or if you work as a customer service representative, you might be able to ask: can you help the customer, can you not help the customer, or can you direct the customer to someone else who can help them. If you can help them, you would follow the branches corresponding to what their problem is. If you can’t help them, the process ends there. I see a decision tree as being helpful in our everyday jobs if we can tailor it specifically to what we do.

• Other than in information systems, I think decision trees can be used in supply chain management. After taking MSOM 3101 I learned that it is best to visualize a process. For example a decision tree can be used when trying to visualize the process in a distribution center. The decision tree will allow someone to see the different outcomes depending on the business rules of the distribution center. The decision tree will be able to answer questions like, is the item in stock? If so what happens next? and more. Some people can visualize this process in their heads, while others need to visualize it on paper. The decision tree helps with that.

• A decision trees are useful tool utilized within the information systems field. They allow for individuals to pan out possible outcomes for an event/scenario and also calculate the costs of each possibility. But decision trees can also come to great use in other fields than just the information systems sector. An area that decision trees would be resourceful would be in comparing choosing a college major. Myself, as well as any other college students, struggle with declaring / sticking with a major based off of the difficulty, work load, time management, and overall enjoyment of choosing a major. By laying out the different factors (tuition costs between schools, average salary pay post graduation, amount of time study a week, course load, etc.) it may help for a student better analyze which major will best accommodate their personal and professional wants and need and allow for a major best suited for that individual to be chosen.

• This may be hard to relate if you are not too technical, but this is what I thought of. I sometimes write programs for fun, and one of the tools that can be very beneficial for creating a good program is a decision tree. Decision trees help you to visualize all the possible different choices, and it helps you to keep track of options that are further down each branch. It may be hard to completely conceptualize all the different choices that can be made later if you have already made a choice. Decision trees keep track of all the information that you need in order to understand what you, or a software program, should do. So, decision trees are very helpful for writing programs, and I can see where this same use could be transferred to other areas of life where decisions nested under other decisions is very common.

• Decision tress can be useful in many personal and professional situations. One example I could have seen a decision tree be helpful was when I was working at a golf club. There was not a lot of structure for the training of new employees and completing the day end task that needed to be done before closing the shop. Having a plan of tasks for new employees gives employees a sense of structure and knowledge of how to complete a job in a timely fashion. I know I learn faster when I have a physical schedule of what I need to do. A decision tree is a good way to explain the task at hand.

• Decision trees can be very helpful in corporate life as well, particularly in terms of setting standard procedures for dealing with structured problems. For example, people who work at call centers for after-sales service can benefit a lot if they have been trained to deal with customer issues with a decision tree. They would be able to know where to start to approach customers with appropriate questions and decide on actions needed to be taken based on yes or no answers from customers. Since most low-skill jobs are still concerned with highly structured problems, companies can use decision trees as a useful and effective training tool to help establish standard practices and procedures.
    Furthermore, decision trees are also helpful in everyday life whenever we are faced with decisions to make. For example, a family planning on where to go for vacation can use decision trees to take into account factors such as weather, sufficient financial resources, distances, visa availability etc.

• I think that decision trees could be a very useful good tool no matter in your career or in your daily life. Sometimes we usually have a fear of choice, for example, there are a lot of possibility or complex factors need to be integrated, if you don’t draw it out, you will not be able to have a clear thinking and making a decision. Decision trees make the things easier, draw it out can help with your logical thinking, organizing your data, it also a very good records for an event to restore in a hardware such as a laptop or smart phone. so I love this fancy tool very much.

• I could see decision trees being used in a for Risk Management. Decision trees reduce the dangers a company might be exposed to if it settled on a moment’s decision without considering future consequences. A decision tree allows the company to take the time to think of multiple outcomes to a given situation and how to act or react accordingly. Since a company already outlined the possible consequences, facing risks become more manageable. The decision tree becomes a tool you can use to prepare for the risk.

• Quality assurance is important in business to business relationships. This is evident in the requirement of having an ISO 9001 certification (standard of quality management system) from an accredited organization, and policy and procedure are the back bone of quality management systems. Standard operating procedures or standard administrative procedures are a great place to employee decision trees to ensure consistent results when faced with specific decisions.

• I think that the a decision tree can be used in lot of different situations in your life, business, school, ect. Maybe you got accepted to three colleges and you aren’t sure which is the right one for you. You can draw out a decision tree and list the possible outcomes. Maybe if you went to NYC then you will study drama and become an actress but if you decide to go to Temple you will study business and become entrepreneur.

• A decision tree would be beneficial in various situations in life. In particular, I believe a person purchasing a car would benefit from a decision tree. If a potential buyer is stuck between two cars, he/she could compose a decision tree and write out all the potential results from choosing one of the cars. If you choose an SUV, it could be larger monthly payments and may use more gas. However if you chose a hybrid, it will not use as much gas and could be potentially cheaper.

• A decision tree would be useful when an individual is trying to get a visual representation of a decisive situation. In class, we talked about the use of decision trees in an information systems setting. However, the use of decision trees can expand far beyond business applications. For example, an individual could use a decision tree in every day life (ex. do I go to the movies or to the mall? Well if I go to the movies do i get the large popcorn or the small? If I get the small popcorn and saved some calories should I get the large soda or a water? etc). The use of decision trees can be beneficial in any day-to-day situation that will help an individual plan a sequential process of activities.

• Decision trees are applicable in everyday life when you are dealing with a decision that has a multi-faceted outcome. For example, if you are deciding on taking a new job in a new town, rather than one in a location where you currently live. In this example, decision trees help to make the decision easier by visually being able to conceptualize housing options, schools for you children, or daily necessities and their outcomes. Also useful in other business aspects, marketers are able to use decision trees to help predict the outcome of specific marketing campaigns.

• Decision trees are helpful in evaluating not only business alternatives but also real-life alternatives. They are a way of brainstorming ideas and decisions to come up with a possible outcome. For example, we can use decision trees to compare college or housing options. We can also use them to consider apartments and states to move in.

• A decision tree would be beneficial not only for business but in a real-life situation as well. For example, we can use a decision tree in a preparation for the upcoming birthday party. Let us suppose that we have to prepare for the 5th birthday party and 30 people coming for the party in the afternoon. We have a pleasant backyard and a house that is not too large; so, if the weather permits, we would like to set up the party outside. On the other hand, if it begins to rain, guests will get damp and everyone would be unhappy. Based on this example, we can visualize and build a decision tree. We have two choices: outdoor and indoor. If we choose outdoor, it might rain or no rain. If it rains then it is a disaster, if not its a comfort. If we choose indoor, and it rains, then its mild discomfort but everyone is happy. If it does not rain, then it’s a mild discomfort but regrets. A decision tree is very helpful in a situation with several actors and many activities.

• A decision tree is a versatile tool that I could see being helpful in any area that requires organization and/or prioritization of ideas, tasks, information, etc., because its purpose is to define and constrain alternatives and outcomes. For example, party planning becomes a lot less cumbersome when there is a high level of organization and clarity as to what to do, who will do it, when to do it, and more. Another example is car shopping. With the amount of data available on cars, their features, auto loans, etc., a decision tree would make it easier and faster to make an optimal choice.

• A decision tree can be helpful in many business situations, as well as many real-life situations. An example of a real-life situation can be trying to find a new place to live after college. There are many factors involved such as housing costs, cost of living, crime rates, school reputations, weather, job availability, etc. that can play a role in whether you decide to live somewhere or not.

• Decision trees can come in handy in many different situations. Something in everyday like with decisions that we may make during the week to make plans or what to do if a plan falls through can be an example of when a decision tree can be used. In businesses these decision trees can be helpful in ways when trying to figure out if a new produce should be launched and if how so, or it can be used when deciding on a route the business should take. In a way, we use business trees on a day to day basis with decisions we make.

• Decision trees and business rules are used in my job on a daily basis. Specifically one of my responsibilities is to create bills for clients based multiple factors. First factor would be is the billing arrangement a fixed fee, or hourly. Then each fixed fee or hourly arrangement can have a multitude of other factors that affect the creation of the bill. Business rules affect the decisions on the decision tree with things like how much we can expense per meal to each client and how much we can charge for auto transportation (mileage compensation rate).

• Another way we could use a decision is when you’re trying to buy a car and you’re having a hard time picking between which one to get. By using a decision you can break each car down and what they have or don’t have. When you’ve successfully completed the decision tree you can have a better understanding of what car you want.

• Using a decision tree could be very useful when choosing which health insurance coverage you want to choose when accepting a new job offer. Breaking down the various options based on price and, frequency of use, and total coverage would allow you to get the best value for the coverage that you need to feel secure. The decision tree would also be helpful because if you begin a family or get married you can look back and re-rout your decision with the new coverages you would need.

• As college students, most of us are young adults who are in the process of making major life decisions. Choice of school, choice of major, living arrangements and post-graduation plans are a few examples of decisions we have had to make and are in the process of making during this crucial time in our lives. Decision trees can be used for any decision, but I think they could be especially useful in choosing a field of study. A specific major might be a bit too specific since there are hundreds to choose from. However, for someone who has already decided to come to Temple, for example, a decision tree could result in one of the 12 schools within Temple University. Conditions could include interest in working with people, interest in working with animals, salary, artistic interests, travel interests, years of schooling etc. Then, as people narrow down their interests, needs, and desires, they can be directed toward a school at Temple’s campus that will most likely have at least a few different majors for them to choose from. Within each school, there could be additional decision trees for students to choose a specific major. For example, someone who likes to work with people, wants to work for a big corporation in the private sector, and enjoys both communications and mathematics might be directed to the Fox School of Business. From there, if they say they are interested in traveling, using a foreign language, and learning about other cultures, they may be directed to a major in International Business.

• Decision trees are helpful in general for most decisions that you may encounter in either your person or professional life. I am currently running a project team that is not only defining processes in systemic ways of working, but also ‘physical’ ways of working. My team is responsible for documenting current processes and identifying any areas of improvement and recommending what those improvements might be.
    We use decision trees in this circumstance to help understand if the current and/or standard operating procedures are meeting all of the needs of the business units that are attached to them.
    This helps us identify the failure points for any area in the decision trees which might return unfavorable results and for us to judge the proposals appropriately.

• Another area that the tree diagram would be useful in, is in marketing. I think that using the decision tree to help college students to understand what the different marketing concept are and why they work. As an IB marketing major, I think that this tree would have helped my one marketing class last semester since we were learning about the difference in marketing tools around the world. This might have been easier for my professor to use when comparing the differences between the counties. This tree might also be helpful in classes and in life when you have many different choices and its easier to look at an image rather than pages of information.

• Decision trees are useful is many ways and not just professionally. I do like the example of the Amazon one we discussed in class. Having worked in the restaurant business, I have seen decision trees being used many times. When trying to come up with specials many times it depends on what ingredients are locally available. Especially if dining at a farm to table style restaurant. I feel another area that a decision tree would be helpful with would be a decision of any type, but specifically when buying a house. Having seen my sister just go through the process, she had many deciding factors to decide. How many bedrooms? Is the school district good? Is it close to work? I never would have thought of it before, but having learned about decision trees I could see how it would be perfectly used in this example.

• In my opinion decision trees could be used in any number of thing throughout your life. One example that I have utilized before was for planning a vacation. The decision trees let you see the different outcomes based on whether one thing does or does not happen. This was helpful planning the vacation because there were fore people going and many different places and airlines we could utilize and the decision trees helps show all of it. Another place decision trees would be helpful is in school. They could help in budgeting, selecting classes or in the classes themselves. For example, marketing (my major) which has many decisions on all the different aspects that go into marketing. Advertising, for example involves many questions like when, where, how long, how much, and a decision tree would help to stream line the answers and how they affect each other.

• Decision trees can be used in many ways outside of business purposes. Other than in information systems, decision trees can be used to decide whether or not to buy a new car. You have to decide if you first need a new car, then what type of car, what kind of gas milage, color, and whether you can afford it. Many more decisions need to be made throughout the process that can each depend on the answer to the question that comes before it. Decision trees can be, and often are used in all kinds of different situations, not just in information systems.

• In my opinion a decision tree can be used in any job situation. Any job that has more than one outcome usually has more than one choice involved. A decision tree helps organize the thought process and makes any line of work smoother. Engineers can use this method in order to narrow down a problem and fix it. But the decision tree that most are familiar with are from menus. in the current day we have establishments such as Wawa that has a decision tree type of kiosk that starts off vague with drinks and different food options, narrowing down the choices with every selection.

• Decision trees are useful tools that guide us on a path when making a decision. The decision being made doesn’t have to be a complex, life changing decision, rather it could be used for any day-to-day question. I would say, outside of information systems, a decision tree would be very helpful when choosing a new job. Say, for example, you apply to 5 or 6 different companies for a job. Out of those 6, you hear back from 2 of them, offering you a position. This is where the decision tree comes in handy. It will help narrow your search for a job based on your highest valued qualities.You might say if the salary is greater than or equal to x amount then you will choose that job, as well as add in other important factors like location, position offered, company, vacation time and so on. All in all, decision trees can be used in many forms other than just for information systems.

• A decision tree is not only useful in the business work from an IT perspective but also other facets of the business world. Some examples include, following a certain protocol, such as filling out forms. I know one of my friends who is an intern has a decision tree that he must go through when talking to a customer on the phone.

• Last class taught me that decision trees can be extremely useful in information systems. While they are useful in IS they can also be used for basically any decision you must make in your everyday life. For example just today I was in a situation in which I could have taken the time to make a decision tree. The situation was I had to decide which shipping company to use, UPS, USPS, or FEDEX. I could have easily taken the time to create a specific decision tree but I just decided to go with the company with a branch closest to my house.

• I could see business trees being useful in a variety of other situations, such as in my old job as a manager at a hostel. When I trained new housekeepers, a tree would have eliminated the need for so many questions or mistakes. For example, replacing certain items or cleaning certain surfaces were reserved for specific days or as needed, depending on the circumstance. More specifically, laundry always came with questions, such as frequency, differences by seasons, hot or cold water, bleach or no bleach, etc.

• Decision trees can be useful for my personal and professional situations because I can map out all the possible choices I have and what the outcome will be when making the decision. This is useful when deciding if to stay in on a Friday night to study or to go out with your friends. Decision trees are great for visually understanding what the consequences are or the outcome of the decision. Decision trees can be useful for almost everything. Decision making process is important and using a decision tree will help make the decisions easier.

• Beside using a decision tree in information systems, a decision tree could be used in the medical field to decide on certain courses of treatment and medical processes. Also me being a Legal Studies major and International Business minor, I could also see a decision tree being helpful in making decisions about courses of action entering certain foreign markets, legal disputes, and various other business decisions and processes. Overall, we have learned that a decision tree can be used in many professional areas as well as personal areas of our lives. It simply maps out decisions and processes to make things easier to see, interpret, process, and implement.

• Decision trees can be used in not only business but any situation or any career. For doctors, it can be used as a form of deduction when figuring out a sickness that a patient may or may not have. Although it’s generally associated with business rules, the decision tree is a method that can problem solve almost any conflict. It can also be useful in computer programming because programming focuses on turning inputs to outputs. With the decision tree one can take an input and run it by many conditions to create an outcome based on the conditions given with the input.

• Decision trees are not only an important part of information systems but can help you make decisions throughout your daily life within a number of different job areas,. Decision trees can help in pretty much any complex decision making that is needed. It can help with customer service over the phone for example in how to interact with the potential customer

• I think decision trees can use in many ways in our life. Foe example, when we wanted to order some food in cellphone. We will choose an APP at first. Then we choose one of a lot of resturants. Thirdly we will choose some dishes to order. At last there are some opitions for us to choose for the taste.

Leave a Reply