MIS 2101.703 – Amy Lavin – Fall 2018

Weekly Question #2

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 12, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

We’ve spent the last couple of weeks looking at various diagrams that will assist an organization in decision making, increased efficiency and adding value…  Of the tools we’ve reviewed thus far, which do you think is more beneficial?  Why?  How can you start using them now?  (Swim Lanes, ERDs, Decision Trees, Conceptual Diagrams).  

30 Responses to Weekly Question #2

• I think that Swim Lane Diagrams are the most beneficial tools for an overall organization because they model all of the actors, activities and decisions involved in a system and use arrows to illustrate the flow of the process. Given this information, it is easy to follow all of the interactions between different people/departments to identify possible inefficiencies, which may be costing the company time and/or money. Resolving these inefficiencies, which may be repeating steps, meaningless steps, or other problems, helps correct the system so they operate in the most logical, efficient manner to save company resources. Likewise, swim lanes also serve as training tools for new employees or other stakeholders so that they can fully understand the process of a system. They can be useful to me now in my student professional organizations, so that I can fully understand the duties and decisions that each member faces within the organization in order for me to be able to potentially fill these roles in future semesters.

• I think Swim Lanes are the most beneficial because they allow for an organization to see every aspect of a process. By seeing all the working parts in a neat diagram, it makes it easier to see points of redundancy or where the process could be improved. I could start using Swim Lanes now in order to assist in event planning in an organization. When planning an event, a lot of departments would be involved from Temple University, to the building the event would be in, to our organization, to notifying other organizations as well. A swim lane would allow the org to better visually understand the process to plan an event as well as knowing the steps necessary to get to the ending result.

• In my opinion, the swim lane diagram is the most beneficial of the tools we’ve reviewed thus far. For me, swim lane diagrams are the easiest to read and interpret. They provide us with an opportunity to see the roles that each individual/department has to play in order for a process to be successful. I believe that of the tools that we’ve looked at so far, the swim lane diagram has the potential to streamline processes easier. By having a visual of an entire process, we are able to identify specific roles or methods that can either be eliminated, done easier, or given to another individual/department. I would be able to implement them in the restaurant that I’m going to be working for this week. By having everyone’s tasks laid out in a simple diagram, we could find ways to make our jobs more efficient. We could implement various swim lane diagrams for times of the day when business is busy or not to save money and make our customers happier.

• I think swim lane is the most beneficial. The allows a company to map out their entire process and evaluate it. making sure they are not repeating anything and also making it the most efficient process they can. A swim lane could work in any process not just in business. I could use a swim lane diagram in every aspect of my current job. Coordinating with other staff members. We are a service based company but I would work with other department heads to map out our entire process and figure out how to make our process at work more efficient.

• I think the Swim Lanes diagram is more beneficial because it helps distinguish the rules and responsibilities of each member/actor on the team. It could make the process more clear and easy to follow. Swim Lanes diagram can be used to analyze an organization’s processes and procedures for inefficiencies and make necessary adjustments and improvements as needed. I could use a Swim Lane diagram to plan a group trip. The Swim Lane diagram will be utilized to split out the tasks for each trip member to make the plan clear and efficient.

• Of the diagrams we have reviewed in the last couple weeks, I find the swim lane diagram to be the most beneficial. Swim lane diagrams make business processes visual and simple to understand. Through the use of a swim lane diagram, a company can identify problems that may be hindering efficient production within the business, such as a bottleneck component. Through detection of an inefficiency, the company can save valuable time and resources that could cause disruption in production and other risks. The use of a swim lane diagram could be beneficial in any group activity. Utilizing a swin lane diagram during a group project could clearly outline the process and individual tasks a group should take to complete the project efficiently.

• Out of the diagrams we have discussed in class thus far, I believe that Swim Lane Diagrams are the most beneficial. For me, they help to understand who everyone involved is. While the scenarios may seem easy to follow, charting it out makes everything much more clear. The diagram also helps to manage risk. With the diagram, it’s easy to see where there are strengths and weaknesses. Swim Lane Diagrams would be helpful to use at my current job. Working at a car dealership it would be helpful to see all of the players involved in selling a vehicle.

• Swim lane diagrams are most beneficial when assisting an organization in decision making, increased efficiency, and adding value since these diagrams identify everything required to understand how a process is run and how it can be completed more effectively. Swim lane diagrams illustrate events in logical and chronological order and effectively describe who is doing what and in what order. These diagrams can help to identify problem areas within a process as well as find the solutions required to reach maximum efficiency. They can be utilized in so many different ways and can be easily applied to a multitude of processes. For example, I could utilize swim lane diagrams in my Environment gen-ed course to depict the various environmental processes that occur in the world every day, such as photosynthesis, erosion, evaporation, etc. I could also use these diagrams in my Human Resource Management course to illustrate HR objectives such as hiring employees.

• In my opinion, swim lane diagrams are the best for organizing the decision making process. The reason I like them is that it keeps the process pretty basic which makes it very easy to understand. When you start getting into ERD’s and the other diagrams we learned about the information starts getting a little complicated and information can easily be mixed up. I think a swim lane diagram would be helpful for me as a student trying to decide the next classes I should take with certain professors being the “actors”. This is why the swim lane diagram would work best for me.

• In my opinions, the swim lane diagrams would be most beneficial because they seem to be able to fix any problem. They seem to be the best problem-solving diagram because it is easy to figure out where something went wrong. For example, if a step goes wrong with packaging an order, then nothing can go on for that particular order until it is fixed, whether it is from the incorrect inventory or the incorrect product. I believe that swim lane diagrams would work best for me because it would allow for a more thought out process when it comes to doing homework or studying for an exam, ensuring that I do my best.

• I believe that the decision tree is the most beneficial. Because of the way that the tree diagram takes information and organizes it into a readable diagram I believe that it saves time and makes processes run more efficiently. When the block of information was provided in the video about the decision tree I felt overwhelmed and immediately confused by the words in front of me. After seeing the information organized into a tree diagram I could easily see what the long paragraph of information was trying to say in a few seconds. I was able to more efficiently answer questions on the information provided.

• In my opinion, swim lane diagrams are the most beneficial. I believe this because it simply and clearly defines a business process. This can
    vastly help employees of a company. In many cases, employees are segmented in different departments to focus on one aspect of running the company. This means that they don’t have to fully understand what the company’s processes are. If an employee completely understands how a company works, they can improve their work activities and improve the company as a whole. Through swim lane diagrams, employees can see what their company does and change how they do some things to make it the business process more efficient. Also, swim lane diagrams can remind employees of what steps to take next if the employee ever forgets what to do.

• I prefer swim lane diagram because it is a very common map that schools/businesses/companies can use. Swim lane diagram allows company/businesses/schools to map a whole process in a clear way. In my opinion, a swim lane diagram is more understandable compares to other diagrams. Lastly, swim land diagram provides us role that belongs to each individually. This way, each person can understand and do their task the correct way since the diagram is very easy to understand.

• I believe that swim lanes are the most beneficial tools. Swim lanes take you step by step through an entire process visually. Having a process completely written out can be very confusing for the reader. The visual diagram of the swim lane allows you to see each step and when it happens. Also, swim lanes are fairly easy to create. Using the alternative and writing out each step can cause someone to miss steps or put steps in the wrong order. Creating swim lanes simplifies the work, and seeing the process allows each step to be recorded.

• The most beneficial diagram to me is the swim lane diagram. I think this one is super helpful because it clearly lays out the responsibility of everyone on the team. There is no gray area with a swim lane diagram which makes sure that all tasks are completed. Out of all the diagrams I think the swim lane is the most straight forward which would be beneficial for all team members to understand it easily. A way I could use them now is with the student organizations I am in and my internship. A swim lane diagram would be extremely helpful in student organizations because of the clear layout of assigned roles to everyone. In my internship as a store operations Intern I get to lead a department, the swim lane diagram would help assign certain tasks to members of the department. A swim lane diagram is helpful because of its clear layout and the assistance it puts into place to hold individuals responsible.

• I believe swim lane diagrams are the most efficient tool in helping an organization make decisions as they clearly dissect all of the decisions and activities performed in a process, as well all of the internal and external actors that contribute. In my opinion, the complexity of the shapes and arrows to show the chronology of the flow is very useful in the sense that it can identify problems within the process as well as suggested logical solutions to maximize its efficiency. Additionally, the diagram can be used in training to help all stakeholders within an organization understand the steps within a process. The diagram can seemingly be used for any process. As a server/bartender within a very locally esteemed catering company, I suppose a swim lane diagram may be useful in explaining to others all of the behind-the-scenes actors and decision that go into the presentation of our meals.

• From the diagrams we have studied over the past couple of weeks, all of them are useful and beneficial to an organization, and each one serves its purpose. The swim lane diagram appeals to me as the most beneficial diagram. I chose this diagram because it identifies roles and responsibilities throughout organizational departments. As with our example used in class with the hiring process, the key elements of a process are defined and answers questions on what the process is, and what information must be collected. The swim lane diagram also illustrates what to do in case of a problem. For example, as seen in our example, if the hiring rejects a candidate, it defined the process that is directed back to HR. Last, the swim lane diagram provides a clear picture of a process and can allow users to identify repetitive or inefficient methods in a process.

Swimlane diagrams can be used now at my current job. By identifying processes we currently use, creating a swimlane diagram with those processes, and publishing them so everyone is aware of our process. Further, as a management team, we can evaluate our processes to see if any steps are redundant and unnecessary.

• I find the Swimlane diagram to be the most beneficial tool when it comes to company management. It is the most user friendly diagram and can be understood with little to no explanation. Also, it is the best tool for identifying issues with a company’s management as fast as possible since you can visualize the entire process in one diagram. Since I am an accounting major, I can use the Swinlane diagrams to visuals my process for entering journal entries. The first step for me will be identifying if the transaction needs a journal entry, then looking at which part of the accounting equation it affects, then deciding if it is an increasing or decreasing balance, and so on.

• I believe is most easiest diagram is the swim line diagram. However, I believe I would prefer the ERD diagram because it shows the connections between entitles, like what each entitles does, and information about them in categories. The swim line diagram is easiest to create and understand, but ERD diagram could be useful and easy to understand also, especially someone who are in any corporate field.

• On balance I feel that the swim lane diagram (hereinafter referred to as SWD) is the most beneficial to a business or organization. The SWD allows a business to identify all of the moving parts in a transaction or a process within a certain set of circumstances. Although the SWD does not capture all of the pertinent data for a given transaction, it can be used as a great generalized tool for identifying weaknesses or inefficiencies within a process. At my family’s small business, there is no formal written SWD, however we definitely follow a particular formula and order that a SWD would display very clearly. I think it would be most beneficial for our business to formally create a SWD for future training purposes, as well as possibly bringing to light cumbersome areas of our procedures, or maybe even adding a step in our process that ultimately would create a higher level of efficiency or decrease errors or mistakes that might occur. I think in other aspects or processes of our business, an ERD would be most beneficial to map out for current staff and training purposes. The SWD allows them to understand the beginning to end flow of a process, but an ERD would help them realize at greater depth the data or information that needs to be gathered through each step.

• I found the information that we have been reading so far very interesting. I really liked the idea of the swim lane and I believe it would be the easier diagram to complete. However, I feel that the ERD is more beneficial for my type of job. I currently work with student data and the ERD seems to provide a bit more information. The whole idea of being able to track smaller details relating to the attribute would save a whole lot of time in having to look up the information from several other sources.

• I think that swim lane diagrams are the most beneficial for business use. Since it is a diagram it is laid out perfectly so that anyone who knows how to read them would be able to decipher how the business flows. It has many parts to it to allow others to know what is always going on. I also feel that they are good for new employees to the company so then they can understand how the company flows and get to understand how the company does business. With the swim lane diagram it shows you what to do when certain situations arise, like the examples in class showed us. I think that swim lane diagrams are used a lot in Marketing. In my internships they have been brought up but i have never actually seen one, but they said when you get further in your career you will use them more and they are one of the most helpful tools.

• As many of my peers before have suggested I believe that swim lane diagrams are the most beneficial and effective for most businesses. It not only gives a clear representation of the flow of how things run but identifies all the moving parts. This allows for anyone to easily understand and follow whats going on. With a clear understanding of how things work, inefficiencies can easily be detected and fixed. The best use of swim lane diagrams for me would to help create a better understanding of each member within the financial firm I work with, How they play a part in how things are done and where in the chain of command they fall.

• The past couple weeks of class brushed over some common diagrams involved in MIS careers. Personally, i feel that the Swim Lane diagram is the most efficient of all the ones we have covered in class. While a Swim Lane can be difficult to decipher at first, after some practice it becomes very simple. Not only that, but it presents a process’s steps in a very detailed and convenient way. Swim Lanes are a useful tool in examining a process, and eliminating or adding crucial steps. Furthermore, I believe that I will likely use a Swim Lane in my professional career as an entrepreneur. As a business owner, one is held accountable for making sure their services and actions are providing them with the most retained earnings as possible. Overall, Swim Lanes are something I look forward to utilizing in the future. The excitement lies within its ability to detect inefficiency, its clean cut lay out, and its helpfulness in explaining an intricate process.

• I may be biased, but I tend to favor the swimlane diagram. I think it’s straight forward, user friendly, and easily interpreted. If you’re truly working with an audience who doesn’t know something about a topic or process flow, then the swimlane diagram paints a comprehensive picture, weather you’re familiar with the content or not. I think this is useful when trying to understand current state and how to identify gaps and illustrate future state when it comes to process mapping. This is something I use regularly in my career and it’s proven to be an exteremly effective tool for eliminating waste in a process, understanding gaps and how to close them, and a strong visual represntation of current state and continuous improvement.

• In my opinion, the swim line diagram is the most effective. I say that because it helps to understand the full process of how a task has to be done and when we write it all out we can tell what areas we can eliminate to be more efficient. Swim ling diagram is something that anyone can use in there day to day life. I for sure can use it when it comes to school and work. I can write all my tasks out and see where and how to manage my time to stay on top of things. As well see where I am slowing down. This diagram can help with organization and reaching objectives. I like how easy and straightforward it is to form this diagram.

• Personally, I believe the swim lane diagram is the most beneficial diagram. First of all, with a swim lane diagram, you have the entire process/organization laid out in front of you to look at, understand, and analyze. When you have the whole process in front of you, you are able to easily assess what needs to be done to make the process more efficient. Secondly, the swim lane diagram can be used and applied to any process there is, whether it be in your day-to-day life or a business, you can construct a swim lane diagram. I can start using the swim lane diagram now in my day-to-day life, with everything I do throughout the day. For example, I can make a diagram for my morning routine to make getting ready to work faster and easier. Also, I could make a diagram for my work to again, make my day more efficient.

• Excellent comments everyone! Seems that the Swimlane is the clear winner here! I really do like the efficiency of the swimlane diagram and the ability to really understand a process and who is involved at every step. The accountability factor is so helpful! I do love a nice ERD though – organizing data efficiently is critical to success in a digital world! And of course, those of you that said decision tree – they really do help us stay consistent and clear in our path. Nice job, great thoughts!

• I find the swimlanes very beneficial especially in breaking down processes step by step. It is very useful in day to day activities as well as in businesses and makes processes much easier to understand. I can start using swim lanes in my classes to help me comprehend various processes that we learn.

• Personally I find that the swimlanes are the most beneficial due to a few reasons. For the most part they are extremely simple in design and structure which makes them easy to read by almost anybody who comes across them with little to no background information needed (for the most part). This is extremely useful because as helpful ERD’s and decision trees are, they can get a bit confusing and overwhelming if not given more information. When implementing new systems or adjusting pre-existing systems in any surrounding it is best if it is make simple and easy to understand rather than a complex-overwhelming change. Swimlanes can be used now in my everyday life through studying for exams. I could easily draft up a swimlane on almost any topic and identify the players and the roles and decisions they play with one another to easily imprint them on my mind. I know from first hand experience that in previous marketing classes they make great use of swimlane diagrams.