MIS 2101.703 – Amy Lavin – Fall 2018

Weekly Question #3

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September  19, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

As you are preparing for the exam, what is something interesting you’ve pulled from the readings that you hadn’t really thought about before taking MIS2101?

32 Responses to Weekly Question #3

• One of the interesting things I pulled was that MIS people can go into many different fields and the MIS concepts can be used by every company. I learned that MIS majors can be a business analysts or a system analysts. It does not have to really do with IT, which is a misconception that many students have. I also thought it was interesting that the idea of swim lanes, does not necessarily have to do with technology and having to understand technology, which makes it accessible to anyone even if they were not an MIS major in college.

• Before taking MIS2101, I had the mindset that MIS majors worked exclusively through coding and programming in an attempt to ‘manage the information’ that is collected by organizations. I believed that they manually navigated large databases of data looking for trends. Through the readings and lectures, I’ve come to realize that MIS majors can serve a number of different purposes for an organization and can leverage many different skills to help improve efficiency of systems and their interaction with the people that use them. I now know that MIS majors have many different roles including business analyst, program manager, systems analyst, IT consultant, and many others. My eyes have been opened to the extensive opportunities that MIS majors have and to the organizational need for working, efficient systems that MIS majors serve.

• Before taking MIS 2101, the distinction between IS, CS, and IT was very unclear to me. I originally thought all three were essentially the same discipline. From the class lectures, as well as Fox Vault videos and the assigned readings, I now know that IS is solution-driven, while CS is product-driven and IT is centered around computations. I now am aware that IT is a subset of IS, in which professionals manage an organization’s information technology infrastructure and the people who use it. CS professionals design and build software, solve computing problems, and create new uses for technology within organizations. Lastly, Is professionals manage the efficiency of an organization’s information and technology processes. All of this information was a blur to me before this course.

• Before taking MIS 2101 I really had no idea what MIS was. My most basic (and wrong) understanding of it was that MIS dealt with mainly coding and creating information systems. I now know through the articles that MIS is much more. It is completely different than IT or computer science. It is so important to a business and it makes a business run much more efficiently! I also had not realized how important ERD’s are to running a process smoothly. I am learning so much after just three weeks and I am so excited to learn more about how essential MIS is to a business.

• I did not really know much about MIS except for what my peers have told me – lots of coding. A good friend of mine is an MIS major and he was telling me about all of the codings that he has to do for his classes and I have yet to do any coding so thank you, Professor Lavin. After reading the articles and watching the videos I now know that it has more to do with business and how the business is running than anything else. I realized that it does have to do with IT and computer science but more so as two separate things as opposed to one giant topic. I am excited to learn more in this course because I do believe it can help me solve a business problem more so than anything else.

• In all honestly, I had no idea of what I was getting into when I signed up for this class. I thought it might involve some coding, or even creating web pages for companies. Although there are some aspects of those tasks in the MIS profession, I was presently surprised to find that this class was going to teach me great insights into business processes. While reviewing for the exam I re-read and re-watched the videos about conceptual diagrams. These diagrams will be so helpful throughout my career as I am not a technical person at all, but am able to understand complex technical processes through the visuals in the diagrams. It is such a valuable skill to be able to understand where a technical developer is coming from in order to have proper communication on projects. Now, I am really glad to be taking this class and learning about new ways to understand how to implement strong business practices to ensure I am conducting my business is the most productive way possible.

• I pulled the concept of swim diagrams to detail the responsibilities of my new job. I am using noting how I interact with actors and each decision I have in the process. At many points I am faced with starting over at the beginning. The use of the diagrams are really awesome because I am able to bring the skill set to the job and awesome get up to speed in my responsibilities. It is amazing, how helpful the diagrams are at understanding processes. I studied using the diagrams and videos to strengthen my understanding of the concepts. Also the I studied the differences be IS , IT , CS. I have really found the slides useful.

• Before taking MIS, I hadn’t really thought of many of the things that I’ve gathered from the readings. Something in particular that stands out is the reading regarding artificial intelligence. I had always saw the inevitable future of artificial intelligence in a different, much more negative light. The article talked about how artificial intelligence won’t actually lead to fewer jobs. Instead, it states that it is likely for higher-paying, middle-class jobs to disappear and be replaced with low paying, working-class jobs. I really got to think about the need for us all to be open to adapting to new technology as time goes on. Like MIS, we all have to find ways to increase our efficiency and look for solutions to the many problems we face.

• As I was preparing for the exam, something interesting that I pulled from the readings that I hadn’t really thought about before taking MIS2101 is how pretty much everything is a system and systems are implemented in every business. I thought it was neat to thing of business and organizations through systems. I learned that pretty much everything is a system; from a pencil and paper to the intricate systems that is the whole process of ordering an item from amazon. It pretty cool to think of things in systems and being able to see how everything works and the processes involved.

• Before taking this course, I had never taken any sort of MIS course. I originally believed MIS consisted of a lot of coding and a heavy emphasis placed on how computer systems work. While the systems part is true, the readings and slide shows have shown me it is much more than just this. For example, swim lane diagrams have nothing to do with coding. They show the business processes for a business in detail and can greatly improve the performance of the company. Another thing I have learned is that systems are everywhere. In MIS, you can really think of so many things as systems. I also had a preconceived notion that people in MIS would develop software for people to use and that was it. I’ve seen that it is much more than that, and that workers in MIS also need people skills to successfully implement a new system or software in a company.

• Before taking MIS class, at the company I work for today we do a lot of talking about how to make processes simpler and reduce time on different tasks. It never occurred to me that these actions of making processes better would be related to MIS. I love looking over processes and trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to do something even in my personal life. It has made me more interested in MIS and its not only coding and using technology to do this. MIS seems like such a great career path.

• I suppose I didn’t realize that informtion systems extended beyond data systems such as SAP or programming and coding. I use swim lane diagrams frequently in my line of work and am a part of a heavy continuous improvement culture. I had no idea this would be so closely related to process improvement systems. I’m looking forward to learning more about the software, hardware and other concepts this class has to offer, knowing that it directly applies to things I’m doing on a daily basis professionally.

• Before taking this class I thought that IT, IS, and CS were all within the same realm. As i started studying for this exam and looking at the different readings, I realized that they are all completely different. The classes you take, the careers you go into, the end solution or product; it’s all different. That really helped me see the big picture. At my last school I took an MIS course which did not transfer but we didn’t even talk about swimlane diagrams or the difference between IT, IS, and CS. This course seems like it is much more information packed which I like so I can learn more about all the different options out there.

• I think the biggest aspect that I learned from the readings was the different roles that MIS majors could go into and the difference of all these role. Before this class I thought that IT, IS, CS, MIS, would all be the same job and perform the same tasks. After understanding the roles, I can see how much they vary and should not be considered the same thing. It is super important to understand that these roles are different because they are much different skills and requirements needed for each individual one.

• When I heard of MIS, the only specific thing that came to mind was computers and technology. I didn’t really know what to expect going into this class. One of the readings I found to be very interesting was the one on Systems Architecture. From this reading, I learned about all the different types of architecture. For example, the article mentioned Hardware, Software, and Enterprise Architecture. Prior to this class, I had never heard of these types of architecture.

• While learning the material and studying for the exam, the number of opportunities surprised was a surprise. Prior thoughts gave me the idea that MIS was the same as a computer science, but this was an untrue assumption based on the amount of business MIS is involved. Specifically, the consulting roles were surprising as I began to research IBM and see the open positions for the consultants, and what role the consultants have within the industry.

• I believe that studying for this class has taught me a lot about MIS already and its only been a few weeks. Understanding now that IT, IS and CS were all completely different specialties, Learning that you do not need to be a master coder to work in the MIS field and so much more. Learning of all the fields within MIS and opportunities gets me excited and wanting to explore the possibility of perusing a MIS degree. MIS degrees help people leverage skills to manage people and the systems the use to help with business efficiency. The core use of all these diagrams is so simple yet effective. I would never have put so much importance behind having diagrams but while going through conceptual diagrams, ERDs and swim lanes they are essential and so efficient in showing and explaining how everything works. This class is always surprising me and I cant wait to learn more.

• While reading the chapters and reviewing for the exam, the most interesting topic for me is the information that we learned about the MIS career path as well as how many opportunities that people in this major have. I never heard of this major before stepping into this class, but I am drawn in by how much they know about the operations of a business. The stem lane diagram was pretty hard to understand at first but when we went over it multiple time I started to enjoy that as well really.

• While I prepare for the exam, I found the interest in the swim lane diagram, ERD, and conceptual diagram that impact the business decision, it makes the process simpler and easier to understand. I also understand the difference between the IS, CS and IT. Before taking this class, I have no idea of what IS is. I thought IS is more involved with coding, now I know that IS is using the technology to solve the business problem.

• Before taking MIS i thought that it was under IT. After our readings I have learned that there is much more to it and that the two are different. I also thought that MIS was for people who were all into technology, but learned that you don’t have to necessarily have to be good with technology. Also with the reading i was able to see the MIS has a lot more options out there for jobs than i previously thought.

• I never really realized that MIS, CS, and IT were that different from each other. I always thought that MIS was just kind of the big name for all computer science jobs but through my readings I realized MIS is much more that just computer applications and sometimes the solution to a problem can be very simple and not need and computer applications at all.

• I have to agree with Alexandra on her post above; I never knew there was a difference between MIS, CS, and IT. I always thought they all kind of went together. Which in some way, they do. I was very intrigued while reading and watching all the videos how each one is its own profession and tackles so many different areas of computers. I can say that in the few weeks of being in this class, MIS has sparked an interest as possibly being a minor degree – if its not too late.

• Before this I never knew the difference between MIS, IT and CS. I thought the three terms were interchangeable and now I understand the differences. I also was amazed to see how many different career paths there are for MIS majors and how much of an integral part MIS plays in businesses. Also, in the article I found it interesting that there are different types of Architecture.

• As a few others before me have stated. I have never realized that there was really a difference between IS and IT. I have always known that CS was different but I always thought that IT and IS were basically the same thing. It never even crossed my mind that the people in those fields have such different job titles and responsibilities. I do appreciate how the differences were broken down in the notes and videos to help us understand better. It gave me a bigger outlook on what MIS Professionals deal with on a daily basis. It also helped me to understand computer science a little better as well. I have always pictured CS Professionals as having a boring job, but now it actually seems quite interesting.

• Before I gained the information on MIS from this class, I had little to no idea what MIS really meant in the world of business. Prior to this class, I had assumed that MIS careers were made up of coding and creating websites and systems; however, this class has showed me the various things MIS majors are needed for, aside from coding. One thing that really caught my attention while studying were the Swim lane diagrams. These diagrams are something I never really expected an MIS major to use. They are extremely useful in describing processes step by step, and explaining the details involved in any given stage. Overall, I can say that from an entrepreneurial aspect, this course really sparked my interest in management systems. It has had me thinking about possible ways to manage potential businesses in the future.

• My initial reaction when assigned to this class was “this class is going to be all coding and very technical, and I will struggle”. I was very wrong in the aspect of it being code heavy course work, but the concepts are still technical in their own regard. I also have to agree with many of my fellow students that commented before me; I was under the impression that CS and IT both fell under the umbrella of MIS, and was unaware it was it’s own separate discipline of study. From my understanding at this point in time, MIS has much less to do about technology that drives business, and more so about logic and reasoning when approach a business process and how technology might fit into a certain process thus increasing efficiency and decreasing the likelihood of mistakes.

• Before taking MIS. I did not have a clue what MIS was. It was one of my requirement course that I have to take for accounting major. Learning the course now helps me to understand the concept and see how useful it could be in the business world. From my understanding now, MIS is not just about computer, it is more like data base and we use it in business. Beside that this is super interesting that i’m actually going to schedule an apppitment with my advisor to have a minor in MIS. I honestly feel like nowadays, having an accounting or business degree doesn’t mean anything if you don’t know how to apply technology toward it. Over all I think MIS is an interesting major and it should be a must have major in every school.

• Before taking MIS I did not completely understand what the class was about. However, as the semester has progressed I have learned a lot. Now, I consider systems in my daily life. At work, I occasionally wonder if the way things are currently operating are the most efficient. I map a Swim Lane diagram in my head and eliminate or reconfigure certain entities and steps of the process in order to perform more efficiently.

• One thing extremely interesting that I pulled from the readings was the information regarding how AI will not be taking all jobs. I thought it was especially interesting behind the reasoning that instead it will most likely hollow out the middle class jobs. This was due to the fact that technology is very good at doing mathematical and complex jobs but not at all good at simple jobs. This will leave the economy with the upper class and lower class and creates the paradox of an economy of people selling goods and a bunch of people with barely enough money to buy them. However, there will be the new need for more people to get specialized skills in order to maintain the technology, creating more opportunity to create wealth.

• Something I have not thought about previously was the power of the internet. I knew that the internet played a few factors in managing a business. However, I never realized just how big of a role it had. I now understand that many businesses rely heavily on the power that the internet has. For example, Netflix, which is mostly based on the internet, caused places like BlockBuster to go out of business. If a business wants to remain relevant, it must correctly utilize the internet.

• Before taking MIS, I was fairly certain that MIS worked solely with collecting and organizing data; I had no idea about the business side of MIS. I also hadn’t relized how many levels exist to the different activities of an organization. There are so many small data points to consider, and the processes can be broken down so microscopically if you wanted to. How we have picked apart even just a simple pizza delivery as a complex group of systems and processes was really eye opening.

• While studying for the exam, I learned how successful new MIS graduates are in the real world. They have a higher yearly salary then the average business school graduate and the degree as a whole has a 90% job placement within 6 months after graduation. Not only are MIS graduates getting jobs quickly and being paid well for them but they are succeeding wherever they are. MIS graduates leverage Informational technology in order to cut costs and increase revenues for their companies. They don’t stop there however. What MIS professionals do best is creating digital innovation to establish a competitive advantage in the global market. MIS graduates are the future of business.