Information Systems in Organizations

Microsoft updates Dynamics ERP app

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2930329/enterprise-applications/microsoft-updates-dynamics-erp-app.html

Chapter 6 of the Kroenke textbook answers several questions about ERP implementation, including information on the benefits, challenges, and purpose of ERPs. The  chapter also lists the “major” vendors of ERP systems, such as Oracle and Microsoft Dynamics, in a chart on page 173. The author explicitly states that Microsoft would possibly “make an ERP announcement for a new ERP product in the cloud” (p. 174). That day has come, as Microsoft has just this week announced an update to their Dynamics GP ERP product that will simplify the cloud system Azure. The article discusses how this will allow the company to compete with the new and growing cloud-based systems such as NetSuite, Intacct, and FinancialForce. While the chapter seems to almost bash Microsoft’s product, stating that the system isn’t well integrated and has no direction (they offer four different products – GP, AX, Nav, and SL), it seems that this new improvement to Azure and additional updates on Dynamics have proved they are still fierce competition. Microsoft is looking to not only expand the range of apps offered in the ERP (Azure, time management, visual indicators), but they are also trying to simplify the product as much as possible. These enhancements allow Microsoft to continue to cater to the small to mid-sized firms that they have been serving all along.

1. Do you think it is necessary for Microsoft to use Azure at all? Considering they are already being accused of having “four horses headed in different directions”, do you think it would be better for them to have a more narrow focus and improve their main, non cloud-based ERP products?

2. Based on the information in the article, would you choose Microsoft Dynamics as your company’s ERP product (if you were a company of the right size)?

3. Does it surprise you that a company as successful as Microsoft is not totally dominating the ERP market?

4 Responses to Microsoft updates Dynamics ERP app

• I think it is necessary for Microsoft to use Azure even though they are already focusing on other non-cloud based ERP products because there is an opportunity for them to reach a niche market of small to mid-sized companies with this new product. If I were a smaller company, Azure would seem like a good option because it can offer ” customer-requested features such as an all-in-one document viewer that displays all purchasing documents for a specific vendor on a single form.”

• Interesting article on Dynamics – I like this quote: “Visual indicators can now be used to identify customers that have exceeded their credit limit, meanwhile, and new native workflows have been added to manage accounts payable transactions.” I am not surprised that MS doesn’t dominate, but act a s a major player

• I don’t think I would choose Microsoft Dynamics as my ERP product, even after reading the article. I feel that Microsoft Dynamics from the way the book describes it, is not as efficient as it should be. Plus it does not have compatibility with Microsoft Word and other Microsoft products, which I find surprising. I don’t see the benefit in using Microsoft Dynamics as a company regardless of size.

• I think it integrating a cloud-based ERP system will help Microsoft expand their ERP product. Based on the article, if my company were the right size I would probably use Azure. I think just like preferences for PC or Mac, Microsoft does not dominate the ERP market because of personal preferences and particular business needs.