MIS 2101.730 – Courtney Minich – Spring 2018

Weekly Post #3

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 8, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

This week, we reviewed Business Rules, Decision Trees & Conceptual Architecture Diagrams.  What are some other areas, other than information systems, where you could see a decision tree being really helpful?  Why?  

26 Responses to Weekly Post #3

• Like the many memes of woman having difficulty choosing something to eat, i believe the business tree can be a priceless asset. As much as this sounds like a joke I am being 100% honest. It would make a complicated decision easier and can go over different situation such as eating in or eating out and if the money is in the budget to currently do so. On a more professional note i think a decision tree would be very essential in deciding to keep your job or start looking for a new one. You can make the mental struggle of such a decision a several step logical decision instead.

• A Decision Tree could be useful for deciding many different things. It would be great to plan a day out, like if it’s raining you do this, or if its sunny, you can do that, or one could plan where to spend budgets. When planning for, say, a wedding, it would be useful to plan budgets and decisions. It’s a useful tool that anyone could use for decision planning.

• Decision tree would be useful in a clinical setting when trying to determine a patient’s plan of care. Physical therapy versus surgery, medication versus interventional treatments or even helping a patient decide which facility or surgeon to go to base off of Insurance, cost distance and other factors.

• In all seriousness, business rules, decision trees and conceptual architecture diagrams would be helpful on both a professional and personal level. I wish all three methods could be used as a clear cut navigation through parenting. Raising child seems to be a thing that is difficult to get complete with accuracy and you face things that are beyond imagination at times without a firm knowledge how to handle the situation. Also, a decision tree would be great to give your child to prevent them from making mistakes, given they listen to your advice and follow the rules. Another way a decision tree would be helpful is possibly through the home buying process. It is a stressful process and often times people are locked into a 30 year mortgage without asking all the proper questions.

• I think this question is too open-ended for 3-4 sentences. Any type of decision making process is applicable at all levels. I may be a bit older than the average college student, but does anyone else remember those paper fortune teller toys we used to make in grade school? If not, google paper fortune teller and click on images. It was used to provide fortunes, but ultimately it was a decision tree. It gave a basic set of instructions and you manipulated the toy until you reached a final prediction.

• I agree with what Joshua posted about deciding what to eat. I do not like to cook and I find grocery shopping even more of a hassle. I can see using a decision tree to rule out what I do not want to eat depending on my mood, and using that to gauge what food items to shop for.

• Joshua’s comment about about deciding what to eat is a great example of using a diagram tree in a casual setting. Another casual example, that I think many people do in their heads already, is deciding what to wear for that day. Are you going to be doing something physical like yard work or something business related like attend a client meeting? There are multiple branches for every occasion and situation. There could even be a rule stating that if an ex (gf/bf/partner) is going to be present at an event that day you must dress a level nicer than you normally do.

• Decision trees are used in daily life whether we realize it or not. I have a long commute in the morning so I often have to consider varying factors in which route I take. I first consider the time of day, day of the week, and then events in the city. Each of these narrows and redirects which route is optimal and will get me to work in the best time.

• I remember when I was younger I used to enjoy reading the “choose your own adventure” books. Now that I think about it, they were basically decision trees. The books made the reader choose the path that you wanted the character to take. For example, it would ask-Do you want to cross the old bridge? If so, turn to page 8. Do you want to go around the mountain? If so, turn to page 12. So, I think it would be useful in an early elementary classroom where you can allow a special day when children get to choose their learning activities. It could reinforce a child’s decision-making process allowing them to choose the best option and own their choice.

• To go in a different direction, this may not be the most technical answer, but it rather an unorthodox use of decision trees. I am sure we run our home with business rules a good part of the time. I could see how decision trees could be useful in a household. I know sounds strange, let me explain. My wife and I have been married for 15 years, and we have three wonderful children. My wife and I are analytical people, I think due in nature to what we do to make a living. However, my beautiful wife and one of my children are visual people. I mean my wife is the kind of person that would ask “How unreasonable is it to move something to the opposite side of the room?” or “I think we should paint this room this color and that room the color of the first room.” I think it is here that decision trees can be most effective in a household. If my wife (and I know I am not the only guy in this class that feels this way) could see on paper the advantages and disadvantages and literally walked through each step, she would see the logic in each idea she has. And then we can come to a logical agreement. If our children wanted $200 to go shopping, I can see a decision tree being useful there also. Again, business rules are all around us every day, all day long, even in our homes.

• I think decision trees could be used in a variety of different ways outside of information systems. The first thing I thought was simply making a purchase. A perfect example would be a car. You could create a decision tree with all of the features and options you are hoping for and then run different models through the tree. This would help to narrow your decision and allow you to make the best choice.

• I think the decision tree would be a great method to plan out school semesters/years. If we get a schedule of all the classes we need to take, we can use decision tree to decide on how to plan and what classes to take each semester. The decision tree would help with the classes that are offered only one semester and also help organizing the day/week between classes, work and family activities.

• I absolutely agree with Florecia posted that decision tree is very helpful in raising kids. I have a 1 year old and I think it could be helpful in deciding what kind of activities to use or how to spend a day. In the future it could be used as a guidelines for her to follow our rules, and prevent her from making wrong decisions.

• I think the concept of decision trees is used in every day life and intreractions. Every day we are faced with decision making scenarios and I think we approach them with the same effect that we do our business scenarios. For example, whenever a decisicion is to be made we assess all our options. We also consider the stakeholders involved and try to make a decision that pleases as many parties involved or affected by our decisions. Desicion trees are very much a part of our daily lives.

• Outside of information systems, I believe that decision trees can still be extremely useful. One example is if someone struggles to control themselves in a certain area (such as what they eat, how often they eat out, how much they spend on shopping, etc.), they can use a decision tree to help them make wise decisions. If they logically map out their decision tree before the situation even occurs, it will be easier to make that choice in the moment. Along the same lines, decision trees might be used to help decide your ethical position on controversial issues. Often such decisions can be highly emotional and hard to make, so a decision tree would help. It might help with making less serious decisions, as well, such as what college you should attend. Clearly it can be used in many areas of life outside of MIS.

• One area I could see a decision tree being useful would be for personal purchases. There are many things to consider when buying something, especially higher priced items. Things like “Do I need or want this?” and “can I afford it easily?” or even “will this help improve my life at all?”. I know for myself many times I buy things on impulse, or out of boredom. Using a well configured decision tree could really help break those habits.

• The other areas that I could see decision trees being helpful is when you determine what a system will need. When you are putting together a system you can look at it visually and determine what you will actually need and what various options need to be included.

• Decision trees could be useful in situations outside of business. One example that I can think of is in making decisions regarding home improvement projects. Questions that could be included might be “purchase” or “DIY,” and “priority” or “can it wait.” In our home there are many things that need to be done and it can be hard to prioritize or know where to start – this could be helpful!

• Decision trees are helpful because they encourage you to think of possible outcomes before they happen. This can be helpful in terms of disaster relief plans for municipalities as well as small businesses. They are helpful in that they help set the framework or basic plans regarding a possible situation, by encouraging discussion. This general plan will allow the outcome to run smoother than if the possible situation had never been discussed.

• Decision trees can be useful in many situations other than MIS. A decision tree could be used in the workplace to give people a visual on what they should do in given situations. Having an easy to read decision tree is useful because it would allow workers to make the right decisions quickly, without having to find someone for help or just taking a guess on what they should do in a given situation. They could reduce worker errors and increase productivity by reducing the time a worker is trying to figure something out on their own or looking for help.

• Great examples in applying decision trees outside of the IT world and in your own industries and personal lives!

• When I was a tutor in High School, I actually had to introduce how decision trees work to elementary level students. The decision tree proecss provoked their thinking, and I found that a lot of the students kept going back to the start; they were intrigued to find which decisions led them to certain outcomes. Outside of the classroom, decision trees could help train new employees in a fieild, or outline the decisions an exsisting employee makes.

• Decision trees are very helpful in making daily decisions. They provide a highly effective structure within which you can lay out options and investigate the possible outcomes of choosing those options. They also help you to form a balanced picture of the risks and rewards associated with each possible course of action. Decision trees are an excellent way of breaking down a highly complex decision problem into a series of simpler ones.

• There are many areas in life that a decision tree would be very helpful in volunteer work with the National Federation for the Blind when it came to planning our events and teaching new members how to act in certain situations. For instance, when new parents who are blind face discrimination from the hospital in regards to handling Child Protective Service concerns.