MIS 2101.730 – Courtney Minich – Spring 2018

Weekly Post #4

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 15, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

This week, we reviewed ERPs and Data Analytics.  In any organization, it is crucial to collect good data and have an integrated system that enables users to have one clear view of the data and customer.    Thinking about your major and your future careers in business – why is this important?  How could good data or bad data have an impact on your daily job?  

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

20 Responses to Weekly Post #4

• Working in Accounting, ERPs are very helpful and important. Having a system with the ability to triple check inventory/receiving saves accounting personnel time and saves the company money. For an accountant, having bad data can be disastrous and potentially result in legal issues.

• I work for a company that manufactures and ship office furniture all over the country and an ERP system be extremely helpful to my every day job (they are actually in the process of implementing one with Oracle). When working in an industry that requires manufacturing of a product, in my case most of the time it is custom product, bad data could cause chaos for any project. If the specs for a certain product is inputting into manufacturing system incorrectly, the product could be manufactured incorrectly causing the client to receive the wrong product. If this is done enough times you will lose business and gain a bad reputation.

• I work in the medical field and I think that without the ERP systems in place nothing would really function efficiently and effectively enough to see the patient counts that we do. Our systems at my job handles everything from payroll through patient data. If the wrong data is gathered on a patient it could be fatal or without data analytics research and development for cures wouldn’t be timely or possible.

• Good data is crucial in any environment. Especially, multi-part systems that have been patched together over time. The main system feeds the downstream systems and occasionally information flows backwards. The big decision is whether or not you want downstream systems to be able to overwrite the ERP system. Throughout my career I have seen bad data skew and ultimately invalidate performance metrics as a result. Data is absolutely crucial, but is meaningless without good data that is verifiable.

• ERP’s are all around us, however dealing with personal information is challenging enough with all of the security risks that that companies, schools, and healthcare providers Information System/Technology departments endure, but to have to deal with corrupt data too would be horrific. If a student were unable to receive their financial awards, or if a patient were to have an incorrect note in their chart, would be severe. As an example, I have seen duplicate charts for patients and important items cannot be located because of that duplicate chart. This is important to correct for litigation purposes alone, or a student has to sit out because their awards were not reflected in their account.

• Having good data is important in any business. Anytime databases do not communicate to each other would be an absolute nightmare. My last job used an ERP for their online enterprise selling, it’d send us orders based off our inventory and inventory that was not in the warehouse. I have been able to look up an order number that we though was lost, but actually was not because all the departments can communicate with each other. I’ve also been able to cancel an order after saying it was fulfilled due to stains, etc. I have also worked for a company that did not have good data and we’d get orders of many items and then we’d need to cancel it after it was processed, but the system was unable to do that on our end.

• Analyzing from the viewpoint of someone working in the medical billing field, ERP systems are extremely helpful in our billing department. Allowing staff to enter data can create errors and a lag time with the data entry process. If the physicians enter their codes from the EMR system, it will be more accurate and can be seen in real time. Anyone with the proper permissions will be able to access that information quickly and know that it is current.

• In the practice of law, this concept may have to be implemented in a different manner. Good data/bad data could make or break a case. Presenting evidence in a simple yet formal way for say, a jury, could end with the verdict landing in your favor; it is vital to the success of an objective to have a clear thought process and strong supporting data to accompany it. Erros in data/evidence could just as well alter the verdict or thinking of the jury.

• I am an accounting major, and it’s crucial to have good data in place, where everything can be checked and rechecked. Integrated system can save lots of time and money, especially during tax season. It would be an absolute nightmare for the company and its customers to have errors in data, that could lead to a potential lawsuit.

• I work in sales for a wire and cable manufacturer and a large part of my job requires me to provide pricing and customized quotes to customers. I rely heavily on data that is input into our system because this is what I use to come up with accurate numbers for quotes. If materials are entered at incorrect prices or shipped/received dates are incorrect my chances of losing a sale go up greatly. I could either price something too low or too high if purchasing data is incorrect and losing a sale over something like incorrect data is a mistake that can easily be avoided.

• I work in telecommunications sales and data collection is important especially in regard to forecasting. Three important forecasts that we use are:
    1. Economic forecasts, help address business cycles which helps me determine how much credit to extend to companies for the purchases.
    2. Technological forecasts, help predict the rate of technological change which is important because technology is a major component in my line of work. It allows us to sell the right technology to the right customer.
    3. Demand forecasts, help me determine what we need to order and how much of it we should order. If we do not forecast our demand well enough, we could overstock during low demand or under stock during high demand.
    If we collect and rely on bad data, our forecasts will be unreliable and thus get us out of business.

• I am majoring in accounting, the examples we were shown give prime examples of how an ERP can impact my job in a meaningful way. It would allow me in my future career to work more efficiently. I would spend less time doing double work and more time focusing on actual problems we face as an organization as an accountant or advisor/analyst. As far as my daily Job is concerned i am transitioning from a collections agency to Meryl Lynch wealth management and data is key in both positions. Basic data such as contact information to reach clients is a key factor and of the highest importance in both positions i mentioned. Bad data can lead us to waste time contacting the wrong person and the bottom line wasting time and money.

• I currently work in investments, specializing in transferring assets after a client has passed. In this role, I am dealing with the information of the deceased client, as well as their beneficiaries. There is a lot of information involved in each side of the transfer process. From my employers roll, they use data to project the necessary staffing for the day. From my perspective, I use the date to complete requests for date of death valuations, deciding how much each beneficiary is entitle to, etc. Incorrect information at any point in the process can easily create a ripple effect with negative impacts.

• I work as an independent contractor. While I currently work full time now in an office setting, in the future, I hope to transition to completely working online. Technology in this setting is everything. Being able to collect, store, sort, and retrieve both client data and project data efficiently is key to my business functioning at all. If I can’t access the data or receive the wrong data I can’t work. If I can’t work it’s all on me because as an independent contractor, while I do report to people, in many ways I am my own boss and face of my business.

• I think having good/reliable data will always be important. I currently work in hotel and having the correct data is important especially when planning/scheduling the following week. If the forecasted numbers are not correct, the labor won’t be correct and the hotel coverage won’t be enough.

• Good data will always be better than guess work. In my current position I can use data collected over several years for forecasting what will be needed in the years to come. Without this information I would essentially be guessing what kind of systems or rules we would need in place. The other side would be poorly collected data. With bad data or information we could be looking into the wrong solutions. This could prove very costly if systems or solutions are implemented based on false data and those need to be replaced or reworked to correct.

• In my current position as an accounting coordinator, we use an database that connects the entire company, every department. What accounting puts in the system can be seen by eligibility, pension, disability, everyone. Our entire enterprise rests on the ability of the system to allow everyone to have availability to the updates of other departments. If the system were to go down and we were unable to use it (from time to time we can not log on due to maintenance) people don’t know what to do with themselves, this is usually when most of the filing gets done. The only problem is that anyone can update the system, meaning someone with limited knowledge of how their actions will affect others can cause quite a problem. Overall the system is great and I can not see how the company would run without it.

• Good data is necessary in running a business well. It allows you to make good predictions on the future and what needs to be done. Bad data could lead a company into doing something that it would later regret. I work in a warehouse and use SAP daily, it allows me to easily look into purchase orders to double check the one I get from the supplier. Without this system it would be a hassle to check something that I do every day, which would make me a less efficient worker. A clear view of correct data is needed for the lowest worker to succeed, which will ultimately allow the company as a whole to grow and succeed.

• ERP’s are crucial to running the production heavy business I am in. The ERP we use is Deltek; it allows accounting, project management, and operations to view the same data at any time. The various reports are convenient because they reflect real time, and can be accessed from any device at any time.

• I can think of many ways that this idea of good or bad data applies to my job right now. I work at a non profit where it is essential to have good data about our donors and our clients. We track how many clients find out about us, for example, from Facebook advertisements. Then we can do a cost-benefit analysis to see if the money we spend on Facebook advertisements is worth it. We also track our donors’ giving history and our communications with them. This is especially important, because donor information is very sensitive. If a donor calls with a specific request and I make a note in their profile that everyone can see, it protects us from miscommunication or neglecting to comply with donor requests. If we are not communicating well or tracking donor requests, it is easy to make mistakes, process their gifts incorrectly, or receipt them incorrectly. It is very important to honor their requests both ethically and because they fund our organization. Given all of this, it is easy to see how having good data is so important.