MIS 2101.730 – Courtney Minich – Spring 2018

Weekly Post #5

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 22, 2018. Your response only needs to be about three or four sentences. These weekly questions should reinforce class discussions, readings and show some insight.  

This week, we talked about disruptive innovation & how the rise of technology has completely changed many business and consumer driven actions.  What do you think was the most interesting or important innovation in the last few years?  Why?  What has it done to the original business model? 

Hint: If you sign into the site using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

22 Responses to Weekly Post #5

• The most interesting innovation to me is streaming. It disrupted the entire way giant cable companies competed and priced their items. Their competitive advantage is slipping Take Netflix and Hulu for example. People are literally canceling their service with cable companies because they pay less for more variety and on demand service. Its similar to pay per view except we are now able to pay for specific content we want. This is making cable companies or big name companies like HBO release similar items like HBo go or networks releasing more of their content on their own website such as AMC and the likes of the CW releasing an App to view their content. The original business model is now in the decline. the strategy has to be reworked. I predict more streaming or even more specific channel or content availability per price now rather then all cable chunked into big groups.

• I think that smart devices like my iPhone and Apple Watch have changed the way I Interface with the Internet and how I make purchasing decisions as a consumer. Since the computing power of my phone keeps getting faster and easier for me to pay bills, shop online and plan out events I hardly use my computer at home anymore and that means I’m not really that worried if it’s becoming outdated and there’s no rush for me to upgrade my computer anytime soon.

• I feel that artificial intelligence is the most impactful technology that is causing a major disruption. Artificial intelligence goes beyond standard algorithmic functions and ventures deeper into-what is known as-machine learning. An algorithm follows a predetermined set of rules. However, artificial intelligence allows these complex algorithm that functions to change and evolve through learning of the technology itself.

One of the great examples is the technology behind the camera on my phone. I have a Google Pixel 2 XL. According to independent testing, it has the best camera of any smart phone. The fascinating fact behind this is the evolution from a single camera to dual cameras. The secondary camera is able to capture death. However, Google’s artificial intelligence hardware allows this to be done with only one lens. In fact, the scores are so high, it out-performs many standard and DSLR cameras available on the market.

This is not only fascinating in a photographic sense, but it shows how artificial intelligence is able to overcome hardware limitations. I can see this providing the greater life expectancy to hardware far beyond its usefulness.

• Growing up in the era of Albums, eight Track, Reel-to-Reel, Beta Max, VHS, and Cassettes, which are all mediums to play media during those times; this gives me an advantage because I understood what it required to transport these varieties of entertainment. Therefore I find the technology of streaming media most interesting. The streaming of music and movies has closed stores such as Tower Records, local Mom and Pop Record and Instrument shops and West Coast Video, Blockbuster and Hollywood Video and on the other hand made it easier to use and to transport multiple forms of content. As a retired D.J. I recall carrying crates of records but now D.J.s can stream and have millions of records that will “Rock a Party” at their fingertips. Netflix and the ability to content on the fly is a great tool, my wife and I use this to entertain our grandchildren when they visit our home. Streaming has changed the way we entertain ourselves, and has changed the way we receive internet into our homes and into our lives until the next big technological advance.

• I feel that Driver-less cars is one of the most important innovations over the last few years. Ride share services like Uber and Lyft has flipped the taxi industry upside-down by employing everyday people to act as drivers, and it would appear as though they are going to change the game again with driver-less cars. If driver-less cars are able to be widely adopted, the taxi industry may no exist at all in the next 10 years. You may not even need to own a car, you could solely rely on driver-less taxis to get you from point A to point B.

• I agree with Joshua on the availability to stream. Streaming disrupted the local movie rental stores and put them out of business. Now major cable companies are competing for our business. My parent’s house they still have cable tv, but my apartment it was cheaper to pay for wifi and limited tv vs just wifi. Now I use Hulu or log into Xfinity using my computer. I do enjoy watching live TV so I do not foresee myself cutting the cord anytime soon. As when I am home I do watch live tv. Not only that but recently Disney acquired Fox which will probably impact Hulu. Disney also announced plans to launch their own streaming services. Now it is streaming services competing against one another.

• A somewhat recent disruptive innovation could be internet radio. Originally if we wanted to listen to a band or artist, we either needed to buy their individual album or hope to catch them on the radio. Now there is an option of internet radio. With this we can either freely (with ads) or through a monthly fee listen to thousands of artists on demand. While from what I gather this may not have been great for the record companies, it surely helped consumers. I use to purchase at least 2 CD albums per month. That would have been roughly $30. Now For something like $10 a month I have access to thousands of artists and albums. The other benefit is the devices this can be played on. Through smart phones, PCs, and even some car entertainment systems.

• The most interesting innovation to me is the prevalence of the internet of things. Having devices like Alexa and Google Homes has created an unprecedented ease of access. An Alexa user can just tell the device to order an item they need and it will show up in two days. These technologies continue to be refined. There were issues with children being able to purchase items without parental consent. Google Homes have somewhat worked on this issue by recognizing the voices of specific users. I am looking forward to seeing how these technologies progress.

• I think one of the most interesting innovation in the last years is e-book. The advantage is obvious: a portable e-reader can hold an entire library, which can be accessed anywhere. It’s very convenient for students, who have their electronic textbooks on smart devices. Although, there are definitely some disadvantages. One is them is copyright. No matter how much money and work publishing houses put in making a new e-book, there are still some people who download them for free on some torrent site.

• I feel that AI is the most important technology in terms of disruptive innovation. Artificial intelligence is becoming so popular that most of us don’t go a day without seeing or using it. Most people I know own some type of home assistant like the Amazon Echo and artificial intelligence is going to continue to grow and expand even further than just a small device in our homes. I think it will continue to be used in manufacturing and change the way companies produce their products. Because of this rapid growth over the past few years I think it is safe to say that AI is the most important technology and I’m excited to see how things continue to develop in this area.

• I think artificial intelligence is one of the biggest innovations we have had recently. I think this field is advancing so fast that safety and regulations on them are lagging behind. Alexa and other voice recognizing devices are becoming increasingly popular. It also seems to be moving us closer to a “big brother” scenario. Yikes! I love the benefits of integrating technology into our daily lives but I can’t help but wonder if we are being too casual with it. Alexa and the likes are changing the face of how we order things, play music, take notes… Live radio is fading out and many businesses are going digital.

• I also agree that the ability to stream. It really shut down places that rent media. Tv shows, music, video games are much easier to get now, from the comfort of your own home. This innovation really disrupted rental stores, which are mostly out of business now. Streaming changed the business model by allowing customers to buy media from their own home instead of having to drive somewhere. Many companies are trying to follow suit with Netflix by making their own streaming service, which shows how lucrative it really is. There are so many streaming services but many people will not pay for more than one of them, which causes competition in acquiring media to stream.

• I am constantly amazed by the way we interact with the internet evolves and advances. One of the most interesting things I’ve experienced over the past few years is my Apple Watch. I can take calls, get text messages, find information on the internet, track calories, determine my sleep quality…all from a device on my wrist. I can even leave my wallet and cash at home and pay with my watch. It’s amazing how far we’ve come, and yet still somewhat disconcerting!

• I’d have to agree with some of my classmates who mentioned streaming tv services, but for me it would be an actual streaming device like my Amazon Firestick. To me it’s like having my cable box in my pocket. I do have Verizon Fios, but I have all my favorite channel apps as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime downloaded onto the stick. So, if I am away on business or vacation I can just throw it in my bag and stream my shows or watch sports if the place where I’m staying doesn’t have certain channels.

• Ride sharing services like Uber and Lyft have been the most amazing innovation in the last decade or so because their business models disrupted the old taxi business model. They offer a simplified and direct access to transportation without the hailing and yelling for a taxi cab or the hassle of looking one up on google or in the yellow pages. The old business model was established on, in most cases large capital investments of fleets and expenditures like insurance, interest, parking e.t.c. Uber and the like cost very little to startup and incur very little in expenses.

• I think an interesting and disruptive technological advance is amazon go. This new style grocery store incorporates an RFID similar device and enhanced photo recognition on its products to charge you exactly what you put in your basket. It’s disruptive because it eliminates registers for check out, and also presents a new business model for existing grocery stores to compete with.

• The technological advances withhin the last 20 years or so have, and continue to revolutionize the way we do every day things. Take this class for example. New technology and programs allow us to meet and learn right from the comfort of our homes. Additionally, we did not have to purchase a hard text for this class, simply because there is an aray of subjects, and then some, readily avaliable to us in a matter of seconds. The beautiful thing about the internet and technology is that it is ever changing. There is always something new to learn, news to read, products to buy, and we can do it all at our fingertips.

• An important innovation has been the use of the smart phone. As the iPhone was released in 2007, Smartphones have now become the norm. We use our smartphones to check our bank accounts, order food and clothing, and occasionally check ourselves out at stores. The pre Smartphone era, relied more of human interaction. We needed cashiers to ring up our purchases, help us choose items, and verify our identity before giving us secured information. Now we only need to use our fingerprint, or hold up our phone. The advances we have made are great, but at the same time, they are costing people jobs.

• To me, the most interesting innovation is automated systems and transferring data from hard copies to digital copies. This is not the most recent development but it is interesting to me because I have seen its impact at my internship. A lot of data feel through the cracks when they switched systems that they are only discovering now. In addition, they still do a lot of tasks manually even though they have the programs to automate, because they either don’t know how to make the switch or don’t have the time in the middle of whatever they are doing (i.e., it is easy to quickly do it rather than spend a long time setting up a system for later). This past year I have worked with the Advancement Director to make a lot of changes and automate more and more tasks, and it has been very interesting to see it pay off!

• I think Home Automation products, such as the Alexa have been great innovations. They allow you to be in separate rooms and hear music or you can quickly access information that you otherwise would need to go on the computer or read the paper to find out. It’s a great way to control your house lighting, as well. If your away, you can have control over the house to make people think someone is still home, which is less likely to have break ins happen. These products are really causing a change in the way people act and behave.

• The Internet has changed our lives. It has revolutionized communications, to the extent that it is now our preferred medium of everyday communication. In almost everything we do, we use the Internet. Ordering a pizza, buying a television, sharing a moment with a friend, sending a picture over instant messaging. Before the Internet, if you wanted to keep up with the news, you had to walk down to the newsstand when it opened in the morning and buy a local edition reporting what had happened the previous day. But today a click or two is enough to read your local paper and any news source from anywhere in the world, updated up to the minute.The Internet itself has been transformed. In its early days which from a historical perspective are still relatively recent it was a static network designed to shuttle a small freight of bytes or a short message between two terminals; it was a repository of information where content was published and maintained only by expert coders. Today, however, immense quantities of information are uploaded and downloaded over this electronic leviathan, and the content is very much our own, for now we are all commentators, publishers, and creators.

• The most interesting innovation in the past few years was the cloud. It allowed us to access a plethora of data from anywhere in the world at anytime while not having to worry as much about storage space on physical devices on site. The business has evolved over time from punching out codes in paper, to floppy disks, hard drives and now onto the cloud, really changing what the major players in this space are capable of doing. It essentially catapulted Amazon into the business it is today.