Chapter 3 Blog Instructions

This week’s questions are:

• Question 1:  Read “Michael Dell, Founder and Chairman, Dell, Inc.” in this chapter.  Describe in your own words how Dell has automated their process to fulfill demand and decrease cost.  (You may have to do some web research to support your answer.)
  • Question 2:  Assume you are writing a letter to the head of technology of the Fox School of Business.  Describe one technology innovation you would want to see implemented and explain how it would benefit the staff, faculty, or students.

Two blog entries are required this week.  The questions are based on topics in this week’s reading assignment but you may have to do some web research to answer the questions.

• First blog entry:  Pick one of the questions and add a comment to this blog answering the question you have selected.
  • Second blog entry:  Add a comment to this blog providing feedback on one of this week’s blog entries posted by other students in the class.

Add your comments here:

94 Responses to “Chapter 3 Blog Instructions”

• Paola Beltran:

In his attempt to create a direct-sales PC business, Michael Dell started his company by selling computers directly to its customers through telephone sales and the company’s website. Dell wanted customers to avoid intermediaries and dealers; hence, by calling a toll free number or by logging on the company’s website, customers could place their orders right away. This approach of direct-sales model has certainly benefited customers who can order their products and have them shipped within 36 hours. Furthermore, as Dell inc. works on orders made, it has been able to cut inventories, reduce costs and therefore offer low-cost products to its customers. Dell intends to keep a close and strong relationship with its suppliers, so the Internet and other communication media have been essential in making this attempt possible. As Dell continues to refine this strategy, it is also spreading its target market to countries in Asia. So far the company’s Internet strategy for marketing, advertising and selling its products has been very successful.

• Paul A Kowit:

Like we learned in class Dell has really helped themselves out by mastering the Just in Time production. This has brought down their inventory cost and overhead. Slowly, but surly HP will follow Dell’s method too help improve their business.

• Xiao Liu:

I agree that Dell cut out the middleman expenses by selling the computers dierctly to customers. Dell used automated system to reduce its labor costs. So that make its products in a lower price in order to favour its customers.

• Jessica Cho:

I agree that Dell wanted to cut out the intermediaries. Direct customer service is what customers want, so Dell made a smart decision with respect to that. By doing this, they can gain customer loyalty and satisfaction.

• Baiba Berze:

The basic idea behind Michael Dell’s business model is direct-to-consumer and build-to-order business processes that allow Dell to build their product – computers – as the orders from the customers come in. This approach allows Dell to avoid stockpiles of new gadgets and therefore keeps the inventory levels to a minimum. Moreover, because of increased speed of manufacturing processes, customers are wiling to wait because in turn, they are able to get a product that is customized to mach their needs exactly. This is how Dell has been able to fulfill the demand for their product and decrease the costs of production.

• Jong Hyuk Lee:

The basic idea of direct-to-customer makes Dell become competitive in the market. They eliminated retailers from relationship between customers even though they are computer manufacturers. This is for controlling their services and exerting its efficiency. This direct-to-customer was so beneficial for consumers. About 90% of consumers’ complaints and inconveniences were resolved by phone calls and problems like fixing computers were settled in 24-48 hours. This innovation which Michael Dell submitted has made Dell become one of the powerful computer sales.

• Paul A Kowit:

Dear Vikram Singh,

I am currently a student at the Fox Business School. I am writing to you with some new technological ideas for the School. As a transfer student, I have adopted the idea of Smart Boards from my former school. Smart Boards are a great way to present subject information and also use the interactive white board at the same time. In other words you can right on your digital power point slide as a teacher presents a slide show to the class. This capability is achieved by incorporating a digital touch sensitive white board with a projector. I believe Smart Boards would be beneficial to all math classes in the Fox Business School. this will allow math teachers to explain formulas and equation on the white board with out having to raise the projector screen that is currently in front of the white board. This will make class time more efficient and also allow the teacher to save and publish class notes to Blackboard. However, on down side to this technology is that it is not suitable for big classrooms. This will cause you to only install it in upper level classrooms. Also this technology can be high maintenance and will need to be learned by all the teachers that will be using it.

Sincerely, Paul Kowit

• Paola Beltran:

I find it interesting the implementation of Smart Boards in a near future. I believe it is a great idea to engage students in a more interactive and flexible learning environment. Although Smart Boards might be costly, they are worthy in value as many students have demonstrated an increase in performance at school. I read for instance an article about how disable students who can barely hold a pen in hand, are benefiting in particular from activities that involved pressing on the interactive whiteboard. With technological tools like the Smart Boards some teachers might need however some training to become more tech savvy. In a technological world like the one today, I think it is important for both students and professors to become proficient in technology; hence, to start taking advantage of innovative tools like the smart boards.

• Thomas J Morris:

I also am very familiar with smartboards and how efficient these can be in the classroom. My high school obtained a hundred of these during my sophomore year in high school.For a teacher to be able to write/draw over his/ her existing presentation to help teach the class even more clearer is a great site to see. Even with a boring subject, somehow students seemed to still be interested in whatever the smartboard had to offer

• Blake A Guss:

I think that smart boards are fantastic, and in the near future will be in every college classroom, so why not start now. They are very simple to use and no more erasers and markers or chalk. You can easily respond to the teachers powerpoint by writing on it from your seat with permission. I know some classes already have something like it, but I think all of them should have because it is a great learning tool

• Blake A Guss:

I think that smart boards are fantastic, and in the near future will be in every college classroom, so why not start now. They are very simple to use and no more erasers and markers or chalk. You can easily respond to the teachers powerpoint by writing on it from your seat with permission. I know some classes already have something like it, but I think all of them should have because it is a great learning tool.

• Douglas A Houck:

I agree with the suggestion of SMART Boards. I had these in my high school and I thought that they were a great teaching tool for instructors. I was also very surprised to see that the Fox School didn’t have them in the class rooms, being as advanced as the building is. The SMART Boards make interaction with instruction very interesting and exciting for both the students and the teachers. Being able to highlight and draw on Power Point slides makes teaching much more interesting for students than the standard slide shows.

• Baiba Berze:

Temple University already has the Smart Board technology available in most of the Alter Hall classrooms. In fact, in many of my classes, professors use this capability to make it easier for students to learn the material. Besides the fact that this technology is available in the classroom, I believe many professors are given laptops that are equipped with the “writing pads”, and all they have to do is connect the laptop to the computer system in the classroom in order to use this technology and make it possible for students to utilize this innovative way of learning. In one of my accounting classes, the professor actually posts the PowerPoint slides that she had marked up during the lecture on BlackBoard, which makes it much easier for the students to recall all the details pertaining to the material. I think the problem with this is that many professors do not know how to use this technology. They might even insist on using their own teaching methods and therefore abandon other options out there. This means that the expensive technology is not utilized and a lot of students are not given an opportunity to develop new ways of learning.

• William J Hagstotz:

I agree my Statistics class in Speakman uses the drawing tool to markup problems we are working in class. Student can then go on blackboard and step by step walk through the problem. We use excel documents mixed when hand drawn solutins to make the information stick i our minds. I really like this strategy.

• Joseph A Davidson:

I disagree with Paul. I think the implementation of smart boards would be irrelevant and not benefit the school as much as we may think. I am also a transfer student and I feel that class is just as efficient with smartboards and without. I think that because the majority of classes are large this would be ineffective and even where they could be installed, the do not have much more use than a projector. They make it more simple to change screens without the teacher having to go back to the computer, however the technical problems I have seen with them do more harm than the good a touch screen does. Often the teachers have to restart the board or projector which cuts into class time and makes it less productive.

• Andrew A Tucker:

I agree with this, smartboards are not something that we necessarily need in our classrooms. Students and professors will not be affected much by the use of smartboards and in my experience they also come with a lot of problems. For the price of Smartboards there are many other things we could use in the classroom that would be more helpful.

• Nhung T Ha:

I totally agree with how beneficial smart boards would be for the FOX school of business. I am also familiar with smart boards from my other school and it was an amazing use of technology. In my math classes, it was definitely useful because the professors were able to do problems on the screen and it will be saved for the students accessibility later on.

• Douglas A Houck:

I feel that graphic tablets would be great to incorporate into our classrooms. It could make note taking much more organized for students since all the notes would be in one place. Graphic tablets are basically computer note pads that you can write on with a stylus. It is the same concept as a pen and pad but just in a virtual form. I think this could be good for staff as well because they could carry the tablets around with them and have as many pages of notes for classes as they needed at the click of a button. With the prices of lap tops coming down and the technology for them increasing, the next few years could bring lap top/graphic tablet combos for students at a very reasonable price.

• Steven N Collins:

I like the idea of graphic tablets in the business school classrooms. This will ensure that every student is given an easy opportunity to capture all of the notes from each teacher. This also will make sure that all information given by a teacher throughout the class will be in a single area, which makes it impossible for someone who missed class to gather all of the information spoke about in class.

• Elizabeth K Bucker:

I also agree that with graphic tablets it will give students a better opportunity to capture notes from each of their professors. Often times it is very hard to keep up while trying to type or write down notes by hand at the speed whick professors speak so I think that having an electronic notepad in which I could carry with me for all classes would essentially make note taking less of a struggle and easier to follow through with studying as well.

• Tho Nguyen:

I would have to agree with Doug here. The use of a graphics tablet that is synced with the computers within the building would make it a valuable tool for all. Imagine being able to go from class to class carrying nothing but a tablet. E-textbooks would be used to replace the traditional overpriced and heavy ones. Professors throughout the building already utilize the computers with the writing pad, so why not the students?

• David Vasylkiv:

I think this is a great idea. Note taking would be more organized and easier to find; along with minimizing the chance of the notes being ruined or lost. Also it would make note sharing more efficient because students could just email them to each other instead of copying them off of a piece of paper.

• John W Rutecki:

I also like Doug’s idea of having graphic tablets here at the Fox School of Business. We take many notes in all of our classes, and this would be a way to guarantee that things will be neat and organized. This would make studying for tests a lot easier because you would not have to sift through numerous pages in a notebook to find what you are looking for, but instead enter a search for a specific topic and have it at the click of a button.

• Alicia M Gladney:

Another idea is iPads or e-readers in place of textbooks. Oklahoma State University has started this in their School of Media and Strategic Communications. This saves money and carrying all those books around. Plus making notes is easier. Finally, there can be a search function to easily find chapters, terms and other things to study.

• Jong Hyuk Lee:

Dell is the firm that is active not passive. Dell is a typical computer manufacturer but they eliminated retailers from relationship between customers. This direct-sales model has made their customer services efficient and self-disciplined. Customers who purchased computers from Dell do not have to contact retailers but they can directly make phone calls to Dell or get into their websites to keep in touch with. In 1986, Dell hired over 1300 technology assistants so they were availble to approach 24 hour customer relationship systems. This strong bond with customers has fulfilled needs and demand of customers and increased efficiency in the market. Dell is now holding 25% of the largest 500 firms as their customers. Innovation that Michael Dell has made Dell become one of the most successful company in the world.

• Kayla J Shaffer:

Michael Dell used the approach of selling directly to Dell’s customers. Doing so eliminated intermediate customer service. This process allowed Dell to have a reputation of strong and dependable customer service. This customer service has enabled Dell to have a strong and efficient bond with their clients. Dell’s build to order technique has also eliminated extra inventory and has allowed Dell to keep these inventory levels to a minimum and also cut costs.

• Blake A Guss:

Michael Dell tottally cut the middle man out. He sold the customers without going through the dealers. But in doing this the company was benefited because they could cut a lot of operational cost. Thus making dells price cheaper and keeping customers happy.

• Kayla J Shaffer:

I agree with Paul, I am also a transfer student and think that Smart boards are a great way to interact with information given to students. I also agree that along with being interactive, smart boards will make class time for efficient. I also agree that smart boards are costly, but, once teachers are trained and have become accustomed to these technologies, they will create a great segway into the future of learning for the university.

• Vaishali Rawal:

I agree with the idea of smart-boards as well. My high school, as well as in my other college, the professors only used the smart-boards. I had been so accustomed to them and found it really strange when a big university like TU didn’t use smart-boards. In my last college, the professors used to post on blackboard, all the notes they wrote on the smart-board. This was great for students in case they were absent or missed some notes!! That is why I think smart-boards is one technology that needs to be implemented.

• Catherine Rojas:

I agree that SmartBoards are an incredible tool. However, as mentioned I believe it is a tool best left to high school and maybe wouldn’t be the best for a higher education institution like Fox. In many of my smaller classes, professors have made amazing use of Microsoft tablet softwares — which have the same basic effect of SmartBoards. If more professors used the Microsoft software and to a more in-depth extent, it would definitely enhance the student and educator experience; I know I’ve learned best when they do.

• William J Hagstotz:

Micheal Dell and Dell Computers has implemented a direct-sales business model. This model eliminates the middle man, allowing better control of inventory. Dell also offers computer customization which has customers in a frenzy. No longer do customers have to buy a packaged computer with things they dont need. Dell using this business model does however require good realtionships with suppliers. This stragegy has proved to be very benefial especially with modern day internet.

• Tyler S Lucchese:

This would definitely be a great technology to implement. I think everyone has complaints about hearing students when they ask a question and it can be very frustrating. To take this further i think it would be cool if students could text a specific number during lectures and have TAs answer questions they have. This can be useful for students who are too shy to ask questions in front of a large class. I am sure there is a technology that can accommodate this.

• Vaishali Rawal:

The one technology innovation that I would want to see implemented is the use of microphones. In many of my classes my teachers don’t use their microphone and it gets so frustrating because I can never hear them and end up missing important due dates due to this. Not only do I think professor should get microphones and be forced to use them but I think every student should also have a microphones type of thing on their desk. Many students mumble and none of the classmates can hear them. With adding this one small technology, students and teachers will be able to hear and understand each other more clearly!

• Kevin M Severson:

I agree with students utilizing microphones in the classroom. I’ve had a number of 100+ person lectures, as most Fox students have, and have never been able to hear relevant questions asked by students. Having microphones built into the desks or chairs and that could be turned on/turned off at the professors discretion would be great. I’m sure professors would be apprehensive to give students the ability to interrupt class, but giving professors the power to turn on/off student microphones could successfully solve this problem.

• Courtney R Galiber:

I agree with you, having microphones for students would make classes a lot easier. Most of the classrooms in Fox have a lot of equipment that makes noise (fans,computers,speakers). By having microphones in class for students it would make it a lot easier to understand what conversations are being help

• Natasha V Wilkins:

I experience this same problem when it comes to microphones in the classroom. In many of my classes, including MIS, it is sometimes difficult to hear and understand what the teacher is saying because of all the other things going on in the classroom. In some of my lectures there are students who speak or ask questions and I cannot hear a word they are saying. In some cases other students ask the same question because they did not hear the first student ask and classroom time is wasted because the teacher has to explain it all over again. This can cause students to lose interest in the class and cause them not to attend lectures. Why attend if you cannot hear anything anyway? Microphones in the classrooms is so simple, but would greatly improve the learning experience.

• Kevin M Severson:

In order to decrease costs Michael Dell utilized the internet as a way for consumers to purchase computers online quickly and with no ‘middleman’. This allowed for decreased transaction costs as well as increased customer satisfaction because of the quick and simple purchasing. Furthermore, because of Dell’s increased web presence customers are able to research products and make purchases at any time. Because of the lack of intermediaries, Dell has been able to cut down on having unnecessary inventory costs and is only required to carry enough inventory to support what they sell on the web. This process is referred to as disintermediation. Through disintermediation and direct to consumer selling techniques, Dell has been able to become one of the largest computer sellers in the world.

• Steven N Collins:

As everyone has pointed out, Michael Dell sold his computer systems directly to consumers, which cut out the middleman and lowered his expenses, which increased profit dramatically. But another aspect that made Dell so profitable was, at a time where internet and software was skyrocketing, he kept the price of his computer systems down, which increased the demand for his product. He was able to purchase more products with this increased demand, and his supply reached new levels as well.

• Catherine Rojas:

The Fox School is a leader in it’s many uses of modern-day technology: from Blackboard to class capture to our very own MIS community site. Much of the Fox School has taken advantage of the ever-expanding potential of the internet but one key-factor is missing; online classes. Many of the nation’s leading higher education institutions have created online courses to match the caliber of regular classes. The Fox School, being a main leader of innovation of Temple’s campus should attempt to use an online course system and see if it can make it comparable to regular classes — which it can. Fox already has enabled student access to popular and powerful web software like Blackboard and more importantly WebEx both of which can really enhance an online-course objective.

• Michael J Esguerra:

I completely agree with having more online classes. The technology is already there, as there are some online classes available. With more students living such busy lives it would be a perfect way to accommodate those types of students. I think that blackboard is a start, but there are definitely things out there that could be used to effectively have more classes of this nature. There are always issues with online classes but, by coming up with a new technology that could be advantageous for both student and faculty, I’m sure Temple and Fox could reap the benefits.

• Joseph A Davidson:

I think an RFID system to check I.D would benefit the school greatly. To get into most parts of buildings students need to show their I.D however when a large group of students comes in it is very difficult to the security to check them all. Somebody would have no reason to sneak into a Temple building where they didn’t belong but I also think they could be useful elsewhere. I think in the Tech Center they could use them to flash before entering rather than having to swipe which would help with the lines entering the building. I think they could also use them when a group signs out a breakout room they could just scan their I.D at the door and have it open as long as the I.D matches the one programed in that time slot. Where I think it would be most beneficial is in the student center. Here students should be able to show their I.D when purchasing food with diamond dollars. This would definitely increase the speed students could pay and shorten the checkout lines. Just like Visa or whatever company has the on-the-go checkout, they could work with I.D and diamond dollars as well.

• Jillian J Incognito:

Before reading the blogs, this was the exact idea I though of. I completely agree with Joseph and his idea to incorporate RFID chips throughout the school. Having RFID chips would reduce costs and time for students (as he mentioned too) and would improve overall student satisfaction. It would be beneficial to teachers with attendance as well as help control the movement of school items from being stolen or lost. RFID technology is such a useful and simply technology that would greatly improve the Temple experience to all. I’m surprised that Temple hasn’t initiated this technology yet.

• Colin J McCarry:

I 100% agree with the suggestion of RFID technology. Having RFID chips would be beneficial for every single person on this campus, along with people coming in and out of our very large school. Not only would it shave seconds, and sometimes minutes, of wasted time looking for an ID card, but it would also save time when it came to class time. The teacher would know who has entered the classroom and roll would be taken care of. THe only issue that poses is the decrease of interpersonal communication between teacher and student. Also, we would be putting hundreds of our Temple security employees out of jobs since we wouldn’t need to have the IDs checked anymore.

• Xiao Liu:

Michael Dell used business model as selling computers directly to customers to cut out the middleman expenses. Dell used automated system to reduce its labor costs, also Dell had 0 inventory. So Dell keep its product in a lower price. After customers placed their order, Dell shipped products to its customers within 36 hours that satisfied its customers and keep as strong relationship with its customers. Through Michael Dell’s strategy, Dell become one of the most successful company in the world.

• Jillian J Incognito:

When writing a letter to the head of the technology of the Fox Business School in regards to one innovation I would want to see implemented would be RFID chips in each student and employee’s Temple University I.D. card. I feel that this technology itself is advancing and being used for such an array of purposed that reduce costs and time consumption. Having RFID chips would benefit the staff, faculty, and students, because much time would be saved when having to take roll for instance in a class, finding where a member of the faculty is in the department, as well as identifying who is walking into the building. Security would be greater enforced. I cannot tell you how many times my hands were full (with books and coffee) or I misplaced my I.D. card and it would take me multiple minutes locating it. Having an RFID chip would allow the security guard to not just “glance” at the I.D. card, but there would be a list of information shown, such as my student Number, if I am a current enrolled student, and a picture. I feel having a stronger and more fortified security system is a huge bonus with this technology. Security barely can see the I.D. card you are holding, yet your picture. Also, in classrooms students wouldn’t need “assigned seats” like in some classes, and teachers would have the roll without even needing to take any time away from the students. I feel in larger classes this is very beneficial. As well as in classrooms, RFID chips can help wih purchases and in the school store. RFID chips can be put in library books and calculators for students to borrow in order to keep track and prevent theft. Overall, RFID chips can be used for numerous things at Temple University, and it would be a great innovation to be implemented.

• Daniel G Zantzinger:

I completely agree with this idea. It is inconvenient to get your
      Temple ID out every time you enter a building especially when you are in a rush. Taking attendance in some classes is lengthy and inefficient to the class with RDIF’s in ID’s teachers can spend more time teaching and less time taking attendance. This would also eliminate the need for some TA’s to attend class just to take attendance. RFID’s could also make taking tests easier by scanning your card and submitting your test therefore not having to fill out all of your information. It would also be nice if
      Temple teamed up with septa and created a RFID for your Temple ID that would allow you access to septa without having to go to a septa office. This would be convenient for students who purchase monthly or weekly passes.

• Colin McGrail:

I also think this is a great idea. At Temple, we’re all living very fast paced lives. Because of this, it can be a hassle sometimes to have to dig out our IDs in order to access certain buildings. It would also come in handy for going into the TECH Center and also for printing purposes while there. Although, my main concern with an idea of this is that it is kinda creepy to have a technology that would allow your school to know where you are all the time.

• Susanna I Arntz:

I agree that RFID technology incorporated into our student ID cards would be an effective and positive advancement for the university and more importantly our entire student faculty community. Not only does it offer convenience, but security, as large groups of people are in and out of these buildings. I think it would be a more secure and foolproof design to checking ID cards as well as would be just one more way Temple exhibits its support and integration of current technologies.

• Alicia M Gladney:

Dell has automated their process from the very beginning. He has never had a storefront to store extra computers or parts. Instead, he took direct specifications from his customers and built the machine. His company is still run the same way. They do not stock parts or computers. Instead they rely on consumers calling in with their specific needs, or “building” it on the website, again with their specific needs. This way, if no one wants 32 GB of hard drive, Dell does not have them sitting on the shelf, waiting to be used. If the demand for 19” screens is small, then he does not order them in bulk to fill the shelf to be sitting there.

Dell’s manufacturing process is from beginning to end: assembly, software installation, testing, and QC.

The computers that are returned or refurbished are sold at a clearance or discount price to get them back out to the consumers as quickly as possible. They do not sit on the shelf for long, wasting that space and money.

• Daniel G Zantzinger:

If I were to write to a letter to the head of technology I would like to see him implement wireless printers capable of handling Apple(Mac) products. Currently there is only one wireless printer in all of the Fox School of Business and it is not compatible with Macs. I think they should program a driver that is able to handle the use of Macs. This move would primarily be an advantage to students because the number of college students that are in the market for laptops are buying Macs. Macs are taking over the college age consumer market and I believe this trend will continue to increase. The increase of printers is also important because if there is only one there will be constant congestion due to the large amount of people who are waiting for their documents to print. This would also free up space in the computer labs. There are times when students only go to the computer labs to prints something real quick but the lab is full. This would create relief of having to rely on the labs for printing purposes and designate them to other needs.

• Tho Nguyen:

Dell has developed a patent pending technology that allows them to fulfill demand and lower the overall cost associated with PC/laptop sales. The Dell Automated Deployment (DAD) allows the technician to spend less time at each computer while still performing complex tasks. The features of the DAD is the main reason why they are capable of reducing cost and further utilizing their resources efficiently. Some keys features are allowing customization late in the process, multi-tasking via streamlined automation, reduce network dependencies, minimized unnecessary infrastructure cost, and automate high-risk decisions. By having these features, Dell put itself ahead of the curve and can perform much more efficiently and cost effectively.

• Michael J Esguerra:

It seems like there is nothing that is really new as far as technology with all the advancements that happen each day. It is hard to say what is new, but I think there are some adjustments that can be made to current technologies. One thing I would love to see is something that can help with group projects. I feel as though group projects are the toughest thing to do because of the availability issues by the members of the group. In all honesty, members of the group are limited to phone, email, and text messages, and difficulties finding time to meet are always present. I think that blackboard or the MIS community site should be more group project friendly. Perhaps video conferencing features, file sharing features, live chat, or mobile applications or access. It would be nice to have these features to help with successful completion of a group project.

• Justin M Slusarski:

I agree, it is difficult to get together in groups sometimes. There are useful tools for communicating when not everyone can find a time to meet. Video chat is an effective tool, and so is e-mail. I do think they need more breakout rooms for more convenient group meetings.

• Courtney R Galiber:

Dell as a company has increased supply and demand for their customers and decreased cost by selling directly to customers. They have great automated service and web services for the customers. By selling directly to the customers and not being a store front selling company it decreased transaction and increased costumer satisfaction because it allows less stress for the client.

• Christopher N Needs:

Direct to customer makes Dell one of the most competitive in the market. They got rid of retailers from having relationships with customers even though they are computer manufacturers. They capitalize from selling to major corporations giving them discounts for quantities purchased, and with a simple website getting a Dell is very simple, making it more efficient than other companies in the market. This direct to customer was so beneficial for consumers. Consumers’ complaints were resolved by phone calls. This idea submitted has made Dell become one of the powerful computer companies throughout the entire world.

• Jessica Cho:

Michael Dell’s strategy was keep close contact with his customers. He wanted an efficient way to provide customers with direct and quick service by providing a website for easy access to the company’s products and also toll-free call services. Once Dell finds out what its customer wants, they work on the product immediately and have it shipped out to the customer within a couple days. By this strategy, inventory costs will decrease, resulting in lower costing products, which is what customers ultimately want.

• Andrew J. Kelly:

Yes Dell’s approach of just-in-time production allowed the company to lower costs while maximizing demand. This approached ensured that there would be no inventory sitting around that would be costing the company money overtime. Michael Dell developed a great way to sell his product that many have put more work on the company but ensured their maximized their profits with high customer satisfaction.

• David Vasylkiv:

I think the Fox School of Business technology department is doing a great job. All the technologies implemented already are working flawlessly for the most part. Theres no new technology that can be implemented into the school that I see us having a great benefit from besides the ones already mentioned. The wifi at the campus is pretty good compared to other college campuses I have been on. What i would like to see as mentioned before is wireless printing from laptops and pda’s. this would save students that bring their own laptops to school a great amount of time; instead of going to the tech center or a lab looking for a computer and printing from there. Not to mention if they have to email themselves whatever material that needs to get printed.

• Colin McGrail:

I think that the Fox School of Business could greatly benefit from having a mobile app designed for its courses. The app would include all of the features of things, such as Blackboard or the MIS Community page, but it would be developed with smart phones in mind. With this app, people could access things, such as syllabuses, course documents and notes, and announcements, all from their phones. This would be really handy since most of us are so busy that we do not always have the time to get to a desktop computer in order to access this information.

• Nicholas D Mortimer:

I agree that having a mobile app would greatly the student that is “on the go”. This would actually make it easier for students to commute to and from Temple. With the release of the I-Pad and the advancing technology of smart phones, this looks like it would be helpful to have in the near future.

• Jamieson M Conway:

Yea, I could not agree more, A mobile app with easy access to things like grades, assignment lists, and lecture slides. Taking it even a step further imagine if Scheduling classes and adding and dropping them could be done over your mobile phone. Easily being able to add another class before u drop one, or no matter where you are being able to fix and move your schedule. Though we are blessed with a lot of technology at Fox I think there is room for even more.

• Nicholas D Mortimer:

I think not only the Fox School of Business but the entire Temple University should set up a way to broadcast class Live through a webcam or video camera. This would allow students to be able to view an entire class from start to finish online in a separate location than the actual classroom. In addition to live broadcasting, you would be able to view the recording of class at any time. Voice recording is already being used, but sometimes Voice is not clear and you cannot physically see the notes that are being given. I think we can all agree that students who do not attend class are usually at a disadvantage than those that attend class. The only real arguement agaisnt having this is the fact that students will be more tempted to skip class rather than attend since they can just review the video online. The only thing that would fix this is if teachers explain their attendence policy to students specifically and let them know if they must attend or not. If this were implemented, even studens abroad could possibly enroll in classes here in the United States.

• Thomas J Morris:

I also am very familiar with smartboards and how efficient these can be in the classroom. My high school obtained a hundred of these during my sophomore year in high school.For a teacher to be able to write/draw over his/ her existing presentation to help teach the class even more clearer is a great site to see. Even with a boring subject, somehow students seemed to still be interested in whatever the smartboard had to offer.

• Nhung T Ha:

The Fox School of Business already has great technology innovation in its classrooms. However, I believe they should add in some kind of distance learning technology. I learned in a distance learning classroom and it was beneficial for me as a student and for the entire classroom environment. We were able to collaborate with other schools and did different dialogs and projects. I think its good for the FOX school because the students will be able to listen to other companies as well as do hands on business. Professors do not have to explain things that are not in their field of expert because they will be able to invite speakers to talk without having them there in person. Overall, it was a great experience for me and it will be for the entire FOX school student body.

• Chase M Haberstroh:

I think this is a very interesting way to promote learning. Letting teachers and students team up with other teachers and students could be very beneficial to all. Sometimes, we tend to only do something one way because that is the only way we know how to do things. With distance learning, we could find a way to accomplish learning goals that we never thought about doing. Also, we could help teach someone else how to do something in a way they never thought possible.

• Thomas J Morris:

Temple University has done an amazing job providing students with almost every technological devices needed to be as efficient as possible in their academics. We’ve come a long way in implementing technology for academic use since the 90′s, but i feel as if we can step it up another notch now that we have devices such as the I-pad. If temple provided each student with an I-pad, students and teachers can interact by exchanging information and taking attendance with a flick of the finger, using the application “bump.” Power point slides would be xtinct because each student could have the powerpoint in the palm of their hand. Also, there could be a “help” button on the I-pad that any student can press throughout the class. This way, the class will not be interrupted while the teacher knows at that exact moment that somebody doesn’t understand the material that had just been explained, and that it needs to be gone over again in class. These are just a few random ideas where the Ipad can help us in the classroom, but i think we can all agree that the possibilities are endless with this device in the classroom

• Anthony J. Alvarez:

I agree with Thomas. The possibility of receiving and IPad would truly open many doors throughout the University. I like the thought of having powerpoint slides directly in front of you. In the larger lecture classes the projected slides are harder to see as you move toward the back of the room. Having an IPad will make every slide visible from every seat within the class. Furthermore, an IPad would a student to carry all class material such as textbooks and notes in one higly portable device.

• John W Rutecki:

By creating direct to customer sales, Dell has successfully cut out middleman expenses and lowered costs. Production using the just-in-time method makes sure that the company is never sitting on idle products. This keeps inventory costs down and also labor costs because computers are only being produced when it is required due to orders. Dell has automated the company by allowing customers to contact the company directly via phone or the internet. These customers do not even have to go to the store to buy Dell’s products since Dell makes them available online. These are just some of the ways that Dell fulfills demand and lowers cost.

• Anthony J. Alvarez:

Michael Dell was able to automate their process and fullfill demand whle decreasing cost through business to customer relations. Dell was able to eliminate the “middle man” and deal with their customers directly via online sales or toll free ordering. Dell was further able to decrease cost through offering patrons a computer built directly to their specifications. Costumers were able to get their customized computers because Dell had close contact with supplers. This allowed them to save money on storage of inventory. As a result of the money saved on processing and storage Dell could also offer their products at lower prices.

• Andrew J. Kelly:

Michael Dell started his company as a young college drop out who evolved into a young business business. Dell made the decision to sell computers directly to his customers via telephone order or through their website. This eliminates the problem of the middle man and maximizes the revenue for Dell at a lower cost for the customer. With no middle man profit, all profit went directly to Dell. Any problems that would arise would have been directly linked backs to Dell and Dell would be able to directly address the problems. Production would be more efficient because they would only need to produce what has been ordered. This just-in-time production ensures that inventory is not wasted in storage which also maximizes profit. Dell’s approach allowed their company to easily fulfill demand and lower costs which allowed them to become a very successful company.

• Susanna I Arntz:

Michael Dell improved the computer production industry by making sales direct and customizable. He was able to completely eliminate expenses by cutting out intermediaries and providing direct sales from the manufacturer straight to the consumer. He avoided having left over inventory by initiating a “made to order” concept for the computer industry. The other major benefit of this “made to order” concept enabled Dell to fulfill specific customer needs because it allows for customization, in an industry that was once very rigid. Their customer service is responsive, efficient, and more than satisfactory with customers because it is automated directly by Dell. Michael Dell brings forth an innovative made to order design, direct to consumer selling, and exceptional followup service which not only entices customers but retains them as loyal consumers.

• Clayton E Corley Jr:

I definitely agree with Susanna. In today’s society, people love customization and in the case of Dell, this allows for many costs to be terminated in their daily business transactions.

• Elizabeth K Bucker:

Michael Dell created a sales process that other companies have not accomplished which is that of eliminating the middle man in the purchase and sale of their products. Eliminating this middle person, which in most cases is a store like Best Buy or Staples, did a lot for the Dell company. It cut down the costs of having to pay these middlemen and increased Dell’s profits because ultimately money is going right from the buyer to the producer. Dell also created the idea of having an inventory of zero. This was a great way to decrease production expenses because the company is not producing excess products in any way. They are essentially building to order. With that idea, they are also able to create computers that are exactly what their customer wants down to every detail. Consumers are not wasting money on add-ons that they may not ever use. Instead that are able create a computer that will be the best fit for them as an individual.

• Justin M Slusarski:

For someone was told they would “probably never go anywhere in life”, Michael Dell has almost perfected the art of selling directly to customers. He started selling out of his dorm room when he was in college, and has taken a similar style for running a Fortune 500 company. His style of build-to-order makes for a quick build which leads to a faster delivery. Customers always want a prodcut as fast as they can have it, and Michael Dell does this better than anyone in the business. This process generates a stronger customer support, which is what every company needs to succeed. He fulfills the demand quickly with materials on hand, and decreases the cost because he cuts out the middleman. Dell assembles everything themselves, which removes the cost of someone else charging to put it together.

• Katy M Miller:

I also had the idea to implement a better way to check who is inside the buildings. RFID would be a great idea and wouldn’t be that costly to implement if done at only one entance for each building. I believe it would also be more reliable than the usual people that check IDs because it could scan a large number of students at once. Sometimes it is difficult for a person to check every students ID and sometimes they are busy dong other things. Implementing a system like this would have its advantages but also we wouldn’t be able to tell who didn’t have their IDs. I believe that is the most important issue actually. Maybe if licenses and passports contained RFID chips also we could scan everyone very easily without them all having to have a student ID.

• Sophia Pelullo:

Great Idea, I think the school is just waisting money on the people who sit at the door, they dont really look at the ID’s and especially when there is a large sum of people coming in at once, there is no way that they can see all.

• Andrew A Tucker:

The basic idea behind Dells sales process is a Direct-to-consumer mindset. By doing this dell is cutting out the middleman in order to save money for them as well as the consumer. This increases customer service because they simply call or use dell’s website in order to purchase computers right through dell. This also allows dell to avoid stockpiles of computers because they build computers after they are purchased which also cuts costs for dell and their customers. Dells allows customers to create the perfect computer for them at the lowest cost.

• Tyler S Lucchese:

When Michael Dell started putting together and selling computers from his college dorm room he already had his foot in the door for building a successful business. He cut out the middlemen and began selling computers through telephone, order forms and eventually through a website. This set him apart from other businesses especially since he customized computers based off a customers’ specific needs and sold directly to these customers. Cutting out the middleman has increased sales and decreased production cost for Dell. Their standardized processes and workflow efficiently gives customers what they want in their computers at low costs, but these processes also improve Dell’s revenue.

• Natasha V Wilkins:

Michael Dell created a company that directly sells computers to consumers without the “middleman”. Dell wanted customers to avoid these dealers and get straight to the point. Dell customers could order exactly what they wanted by saving time without even leaving their homes. This was not only beneficial to customers, but also to the Dell company. The benefits of this system allowed them to keep less inventory and cut salesperson costs. In turn, customers are able to buy these Dell computers at low costs. Therefore, customers acquire their demand for a PC that fits their exact needs while Dell benefits from decreased costs.

• Sophia Pelullo:

The technology that I would like fox business school to use is the swiping system for our I.D cards that the Tech center uses. I believe its a waist of time for people to sit there and check our cards, they don’t really look if its a current Id or even if its your I.D. It would definitely make the school a lot safer and more productive.

• Chase M Haberstroh:

It is true that Temple’s Fox School of Business is established as one of the most technology conscious universities in the country. Here at Fox, we have high tech panels on the podiums that control lighting, sound and the projectors among other things in the classrooms. There are microphones in the ceilings to record the classes and teachers are able to post them online. We also have one of the largest stock tickers in the country. Although our business school is very technologically advanced, one thing that I think we suffer from is computers for student use. Although there are multiple computer labs in Alter Hall and Speakman Hall, they are always crowded and sometimes not even open. As we all know, sometimes it is impossible to find computers in the tech center. I think Fox should find a way to introduce more computers for students to use. Whether it be build a new computer lab, or find a way to set up a computer loaning program, Fox should definitely do this as it would greatly benefit it students.

• Jamieson M Conway:

As a transfer student, The Fox School has blown me away with the amount of technology that they offer. It literally is an impossible comparison to the school that i came from, and though they are giving us above and beyond what i expected, I think that the Ipad would be a nice addition to the learning environment for everyone involved, student and faculty. An issue that i have with this is that it should not replace text books, I have studied out of textbooks like we all have and think about how terrible it is, but staring at a computer screen for hours and hours is much worse and If new technology was implemented I would have to hope that it did not replace textbooks entirely.

• Jonathan M Briegel:

I agree with Jamieson that computers should not replace text books. While many classes offer E-text books at a cheaper price than regular textbooks, I often find that having a hard copy of the book makes it easier to refer to when doing work or studying for an exam. Ipads would be a great new technology to implement in the classroom, however we should still have textbooks to keep us on the right track.

• Jonathan M Briegel:

I think the Fox School of business would greatly benefit from the use of smart boards in the classroom. While many of the rooms/lecture halls have implemented touch screens where professors can write on projection screens and over web based material, actual white boards that would allow professors to move and operate multiple tasks at a time would be a great way to keep the classes fresh and innovative. Smart boards were used somewhat in my High School and this kept the class interested in the material being taught and allowed for both students and teachers to interact with each other while working on problems or writing on the board to each other.

• Shantel C Belton:

I have not experienced smart boards but from what I am reading it sounds very interesting and beneficial for classrooms. If Temple did invest in it I believe(from what I’ve heard) that it should work very well with where Temple is trying to go in the future.

• Shantel C Belton:

A technology innovation that I think Temple should look into is a way for the students to be able to recognize the student’s who come into the buildings. I think that they thought of a good idea to have security guards at the doors to check our ID’s, but sometimes the guards don’t really check the ID’s and they do not make sure if the ID is a Temple ID or if they are just showing you any kind of ID. The technology will be for the students walking through the door and the door’s will have magnetic force in it to scan their ID’s and make sure that the ID is an actual Temple one. If it is not then that is where the security guards come into the picture to let the student who do not have an ID or ID won’t scan, they will tell them where to go to get the proper cards.

• Jennifer Shim:

that’s a great idea. It would be great if we didn’t have to take out our cards at all and they could be read as soon as we walk through the door. I am a transfer student and I’m still not used to taking out my ID whenever i enter a building so whenever I see the security guards or signs, I have to stop in my tracks, find my wallet and take out my ID card. It would be so convenient and probably more efficient if they were read electronically.

• Gregory A Javardian:

Reading your entry I realized we have similar concepts for our technology innovations. Mine involves using finger swiping upon entering a classroom and a program which tracks attendance to go along with it. I absolutely agree with yours though since often I see the security guards not even bothering to look up to see if someone has their ID or not. I think that with your innovation, if someone walks in without their ID that an alarm or beeping noise should sound for the guard to inform the person that he/she doesn’t have a card. Good idea…the buildings definitely have to be more secure.

• Colin J McCarry:

I think I would be preaching to the choir if I wrote a letter about technological innovation here at Temple. The tech center here is second to none and overall technology is super solid. One suggestion, however, I might have for the head of technology would be to implement e-books and hand-held tech-tablets. Having these would decrease costs for books, not to mention all the trees it is saving! They are portable and reliable tools that I believe will increase overall success rate in the common student.

• Steven T Jacobs:

A technology that I would really like to see is a web service offered by Temple based on the Google Wave framework. After Google ceased updating their short lived collaboration web application, they open sourced most of the software, and passed it on to any others who chose, to develop extensions based on the Wave framework. It would allow students to collaborate from their computers in a live social environment, where email, web applications, media, text and video chat, and organizational tools are all in one dashboard in the students browser. The first thing that comes it mind is the hassle often associated with group projects would be lessened, but even beyond that it would create a one stop place to get email, access my calenders, talk with others, and even do work that I can access on any computers if merged with Google docs. It is an open-source software that I feel could fit very well in the college environment if done well and emphasis be placed on clean, easy to use design that wouldn’t deter students.

• Jennifer Shim:

Dell computers cut out intermediaries by selling their products directly to their customers. This allows Dell to cut their costs and be more efficient. This also allows the customers to build their own computers online at lower costs. It is beneficial to both parties.

• Clayton E Corley Jr:

Michael Dell and his genius to create computers exactly how the end user wants it is remarkable. Instead of mass producing a product that all users must use no matter what the scenario is, Dell Inc. allows users to add or remove features on the computer they want for the specific ways they want to use it. Also since this is the case, there is no need for warehouse utilization since each computer is customized specifically for the end user. This also cuts down many industrial costs and increases the end profit for the company. The outcome is virtually a Win-Win for both parties.

• Christopher N Needs:

If i was writing a letter to the head of technology for Fox School of Business, I would discuss the idea of getting more Apple products and accessories for the Tech Center and the Fox School in general. Many students would be aided by more Apple accessories for Macbooks and other popular Apple products, and while many large corporations have not moved to Apple products as a whole they could successfully be implemented into corporations with their life span and performance level being much longer and higher than most PC laptops.

• Gregory A Javardian:

I think that an impressive technology innovation that would help benefit Fox School of Business classrooms would be to have students sign in to class by entering the classroom and swiping their finger on a scanner for their fingerprint. I find this classroom innovation to be flawless as opposed to using one’s Temple card to swipe into a classroom which could potentially be used by another student to sign a friend in. By just using a finger swipe then you are either in class and present or not. There’s really no ways around it. This innovation would save professors the trouble of passing an attendance sheet around (which could also be signed by another student) and would be easier for students as all they have to is walk in and press their finger against a pad essentially. The finger swiping would go into a system for Temple which tracks when students came to class and when they didn’t and a student’s attendance grade can be taken from that.