INSTRUCTOR: JACLYN HANSBERRY, SECTION 012

Weekly Question

Weekly Question #6: Decision Trees

Leave your response as a comment on this post by Friday, June 23, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class! If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer one of the two questions below (not both):

1. Name and describe a business question that you could answer using a decision tree. What data would you collect to perform the analysis? Don’t use an example we’ve covered in class.
  2. What advice would you give someone regarding how to select the right predictor variables for a decision tree analysis?

Weekly Question #5: R

Leave your response as a comment on this post by June 16, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Do a little bit of research and come up with an example of how R is used. You can describe either a company using R and what they use it for, a news story about how companies are using it, or an interesting package that does some interesting functionality. Write one to three sentences on what you found and the URL where you found it.

(Hint: Just Google “companies using R” or “applications of R” or something like that. Examples aren’t too difficult to find)

Baseball Stats

Weekly Question #4: Data Visualization

Leave your response as a comment on this post by June 9, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Consider the best practices for data visualizations we discussed in class. Take a look at two infographic sites: The Daily Infographic and Cool Infographics. Find a graphic that does a nice job of telling a story. Post a link to the graphic and explain why you think it’s an example of a good data visualization.

Weekly Question #2 – Complete by May 26, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by May 26, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

What do you think is the trickiest thing about creating an ERD from a problem description? What advice would you give to deal with that issue?

Weekly Question #1: Complete by May 19, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by May 19, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Here is the question:

Give an example in your own experience where you saw raw data turned into information.