MIS2502: Data Analytics (Fall 2017)

Instructor: David Schuff

Assignment #2: Getting Information Out of a Database (SQL #2)

Here is the assignment instructions.

And here is the movie rental schema you’ll need to do the assignment!

Remember, you must submit a single Microsoft Word document with the query you used and the answer that was returned. If your submission does not have both of these you will not get credit for the assignment.

The assignment is due by the start of class on September 26, 2017.

Weekly Question #3: Complete by September 21, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 21, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer this question:

Describe a situation where you could use a join to retrieve information from a set of tables. For example, if you have orders in one table and customers in another table, you’d need to join those tables to figure out which orders were placed by the customers who lived in Pennsylvania.

Weekly Question #2: Complete by September 14, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 14, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer this question:

What do you think is the trickiest thing about creating an ERD from a problem description? What advice would you give to deal with that issue?

Where and when do we meet?

Alter Hall 232
12:30 - 1:50 Tuesdays and Thursdays

Office Hours

David Schuff (instructor):
2:00-3:00, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Speakman Hall 210E and email (see my site)

Lauren Soentgen (ITA):
1:00 - 2:00 Mondays
11:00-12:00 Fridays
Speakman Hall 210D (and see her site)