Instructor: David Schuff

Weekly Question #4: Complete by September 28

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 28, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Our exam review will be held during class on September 28. What is a topic (or specific question) that you would like to discuss during the review session to prepare for the exam?

58 Responses to Weekly Question #4: Complete by September 28

• A topic that I would like to go over during the review session is cardinality. It is still slightly confusing to understand which entity receives what and I sometimes still get confused between inner/outer cardinality. I would like to do more problems so that I would get more practice in order to be prepared for the exam.

• I would like to review a lot of the minor details on SQL. I want to better understand why we use “back quotes” and more specifically, when we should use them. Do we have to memorize which words are reversed in MYSQL?

• I believe the first topic that we covered, creating ERD diagrams and Schemas does not need to be covered as much as it would have needed to be earlier in the semester. Right now, I would like to go over some of the more complicated SQL queries; Joins, Order By, Group By, Limit, etc.

• One of the topics I would like to review is the cardinality. Determining the correct min/max cardinality and the justification from the problem statement is still quite difficult to discern. I believe identifying the keywords from the problem statement and the rationality behind the cardinality will help me prepare for the exam.

• One topic that I would like to go over again during the review would be proper SQL querying for the exam. In a real world setting, you could fix a query that gave extraneous information in MySQL, but with pen and paper this is not possible. It would be helpful if we could go over tips to make sure that we aren’t asking for too much data. For example, going over scenarios where it is acceptable to use COUNT * and scenarios where we need to be more specific in our querying would be helpful.

• One aspect of ER Diagrams that confuse me a lot is determining cardinality. It would be very helpful for my preparation for the exam if I could go over more examples. Moreover, determining in which cases attributes of relationship exist is something that is also confusing so that is one another point I would like to go over.

• I would like to discuss cardinality and the logic behind it. I understand it fairly well when I have a lot of time to craft an ERD, but understanding the logic behind it would aid me in completing it faster for the exam. Another topic I am interested in discussing is relationship attributes and tips to identify them when reading a problem statement. If we could discuss that, it would be brilliant because the origin/destination attribute was the only thing I messed up on the first assignment. I’ll make sure to ask about them during the exam review session!

• I want to review regarding cardinality. The instructor said that we must always follow the problem statement description. What if the cardinality cannot be decided from the statement. In this case, what is the best solution?

• A specific topic I would like to discuss during our review in class on Thursday is determining cardinality between relationships in ERDs. I understand how to read the problem statement but sometimes I find it difficult to determine the cardinality based off of only what it says in the description. I think it would be beneficial to practice the concept a little more before

• I would like to go over how to pick out all the correct entities and how to determine which attributes are for the relationship?

• I want to know how to properly identify all the necessary entities and how to determine what attributes are for the relationship?

• I really want to discuss when to use max, min, order by, group by, and ESPECIALLY subselect!! Like, what situations would you use each for when being asked the problem.
    Cardinality would be good too.

• The topic I would like to review would by cardinality. I am still slightly confused about how certain entities relate to each other. Its hard to grasp the concept of minimum and maximum cardinalities. Also, reviewing the attributes of relationships would be helpful.

• I would like to go over cardinality especially if the problem statement doesn’t specifically say “many” or “one” because it can be tricky as to what to decide. I understand entities but I’m also a little bit confused on when you know that a relationship should have attributes as well. So just some examples of these situations would be really helpful.

• A topic that I would like to go over for the exam is minimum cardinality. Paticularly, what words hint that the minimum cardinality would either be zero or one. This is because it is often hard to distinguish between these two minimum cardinalities if it is not specifically requested in the problem statement.

• I would like to go over joining different tables in my SQL, and specifics in cardinality in ERD diagrams. Thank you.

• Some topics I would like to be discussed are cardinality and creating a new schema table from two tables (ex. making order-product table from order table and product table). I think these two topics are the most confusing for me so far. For the first assignment, I struggled the most with cardinality.

• I would like to go over cardinality and SQL Subselects. I don’t think I grasp the latter entirely, so I’d just like to know when to use it. For cardinality, I want to be able to know which to use, even if the prompt is vague.

• Since the upcoming exam does not go beyond single table query’s, I think it would be more beneficial for us to focus on ERD diagrams as there are still some things I would like clarified with them such as cardinaltiy, and since we haven’t done them in awhile it would be nice to have a refresher. The SQL should be rather straight forward if we aren’t doing tasks like joining and sub-selecting.

• For the first midterm, I was most worried about joins and subselects, but today in class I found out that they won’t be until the second midterm. This will give me time to perfect the other functions and then focus on joins and subselects for the second midterm. What I need to review most for this exam would be EDR diagrams. I am okay with deciding the entities, attributes, and relationships, but putting together the whole diagram without forgetting parts can be challenging. Maybe reviewing some EDR diagrams in class on Thursday will be helpful.

• For the exam review, I would like to go over the process of taking a problem statement and turning it into a ERD. Also, for SQL I would like to go over the difference between back quotes and regular quotes. In addition, the importance of ordering statements in a query like ORDER BY and GROUP BY.

• One topic I would like to discuss is the idea of joins within subselects. When are they necessary and when are they not? Why do we have to use them/what happens if we don’t use them when they are needed?

• I would like to like to go over the cardinality for an ERD diagram on Thursday’s class.

• Topics that I would like to discuss during Thursday’s review session are ERD diagram and determining the cardinality between entities.

• I would like to go over the cardinality on ERD diagrams. in addition, I would like to go over the subselects and joins. Id like to know how to execute them and when they are used.

• Cardinality is something I would like to go over in more detail, particularly how it is different in ambiguous situations/ how it’s justified. Sub-Select within SQL is another topic I’m not fully confident in.

• One topic I would like to discuss/cover is cardinality, and how one can go about carefully choosing the precise one while reading the problem statement.

• I would like to go over entities that are based off of relationships between two separate entities.

• I would like to discuss cardinality in an ERD diagram as that seems still complicate for me as well as what and what not to put in an ERD diagram.

• I would like to go over examples of cardinality in an ERD on Thursday.

• In class on September 28th, I would like to go over the best practices for normalization. I find that choosing and creating entities in order to normalize an ERD diagram is very tricky, so I would like to hear tips on how to to best accomplish this. I would also like to see an example on how a SQL question would be posed on the exam, including an example of the general syntax that would be given.

• I’d like to go over an ERD again. Maybe practice with another sample prompt that’s of a similar difficulty level to the one we’ll encounter on the exam.

• I would like to go over SQL and ERDs, specifically when relationships have attributes.

• One topic that I would like to go over is ERD’s in general. Everything from determining what are entities to cardinality to making schemas. I think it was one of the more difficult topics to master.

• As I prepare for the exam next week, a topic that I would like to discuss during the review session is cardinality. I would love to go over some more examples to further understand how to determine the correct cardinality in different scenarios.

• I would like to go over cardinality in ERDs in class on Thursday.

• I think it would be beneficial to do pen and paper exercises in SQL like we will have to on the exam. I feel more comfortable with writing queries now, but there is definitely more of a challenge involved with not being able to check your syntax to make sure everything was written properly. I’d just like to do examples with those, especially ones that require functions like Order by and questions where the data needs to be in a specific order for the query.

I also want to go over how to best determine which entities should be connected together in an ERD.

• I would like to discuss cardinality, mainly to know when I should use one-to-many or many-to-many.

• For our review session for Exam 1, I think it would be beneficial to go over the more complicated SQL queries to answer questions, for example answering questions using join tables and different functions to answer the questions. Brief review of the more complicated Entity Relationship Diagrams will also be helpful and also cardinality.

• Topics I would like to go over: cardinality (how to express the relationship by its signs again and how to determine the relationship of the two entities), also the attribute of relations entity: how to know where to put those attribute and which entities have that attributes in common?

• One topic i would like to go over is when did you attach a attribute to a relationship.

• I would like to go over SQL for the exam. I do get confused about ORDER and COUNT BY. In general, will we be writing out full code for the exam?

• During our review session I would like to go over some examples of multiple choice questions that we may see on the exam. I am interested to know how in depth the questions will test our knowledge of the content. Other than that, an example of an ERD that would be in similar difficulty to an exam question.

• I definitely struggled with cardinality, ERDs, and schemas, especially with the first assignment. If we could go over that again in class today I would appreciate it!

• I would like to go over cardinality in ERDs, especially determining the min/max cardinality when it isn’t specifically stated in the problem statement.

• I would like to go over cardinality in ERDs, especially determining the min/max cardinality when it isn’t specifically said in the problem statement.

• I would like to revisit how to make an ERD, specifically how to identify the relationships of each entity. During our ERD assignment I was able to find the entities and their attributes, but missed the relationships for the entities. If we could have an example in class for both ERDs and SQL statements I would feel more prepared. If this takes away from too much class time then it would also be beneficial if you could create examples with solutions for us to prepare on our own before the exam.

• I think going over ERDs will be very helpful. Specifically Cardinality as everyone has mentioned will be great. Going over schemas will also be a big help.

• I would like to review cardinality of ERDs and also SQL. I think it would be helpful to go over the little details you need to know within SQL and maybe go over some examples in class.

• A specific question or topic that I would like to talk about would be connecting relationships with attributes and relationship cardinalities between entities. Sometimes its hard to know when to put the right cardinality because something can be subjective and debatable.

• I believe the most beneficial use of time would be breaking down a complicated case and creating an ERD from it. This would touch on the things I struggle with most like determining cardinality and determining if relationships should have attributes.

• I would like to revisit the topics we covered in the first 2-3 weeks of class, so the introductory lessons such as “Things you can do with data/the information architecture of an org”. These topics can be briefly covered just to jot do some important notes needed for this portion of the exam. Next, Relational Data Modeling, everyone should know the basics of this topic (attributes, entities and relationships) from MIS 2101, but the more-in-depth things to know such as identifying attributes that describe relationships, creating schemas, and normalization. Lastly the basics of SQL and how they affect getting data from a database.

• There are 2 topics that I would like the instructor to go over before the exam. One is the cardinality in ER diagrams and the other is the use of some of the SQL queries, especially the more complicated ones.

• The one topic I would like to go over for the exam is creating ER Diagrams. I have the most trouble figuring out relationships between entities and when to create those relationships. I’d also like to briefly go over some select statements to make sure I fully understand them.

• I would like to review the rules of converting an erd to a schema, specifically what happens with primary keys, foreign keys, and additional tables created during that conversion.

• I personally would enjoy more time working with ERD’s and cardinallity. They can be difficult to understand so the more practice the better!!

• I would like to go over the ERD, especially the relationships and directions

• One topic that i would like to go over today is the topic of carnality. Carnality’s can be confusing because there can be multiple relationships between the entities.