Instructor: David Schuff

Weekly Question #11: Complete by December 7, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on December 7, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Now that the course is just about over, think about what you’ve learned.

• For you, what is the most important takeaway from the course?
  • How would you explain what you’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview?

55 Responses to Weekly Question #11: Complete by December 7, 2017

• First! Anyway, I would say my biggest takeaway would be MySQL. The MySQL material was my favorite part of the class because I enjoyed writing the syntax. I struggled with it at first, but after following the slides and watching a few YouTube videos, I was able to write subselects like a pro. It also gave me a good idea as to how many companies design and utilize their databases, something incredibly practical in the business world. I would definitely show this off to my future employer by describing how I learned how to create a database from scratch in MySQL workbench using the CREATE function!

• For me, the most important takeaway from the course is that technology and data analytics are essential parts of successful business processes and strategies. Without leveraging technology and data analytics to create or improve upon these processes and strategies, any business can fall behind to more advanced/modern competition, or fail to capitalize on business opportunities.

In a job interview, I would explain that MIS 2502 gave me a basic understanding of several technological and analytical approaches to business questions, and how to apply those methods to gain valuable insights and solve business problems.

• For me, the most important takeaway from this course are the technical capabilities gained from working with MySQL, Excel, and R. These three softwares are very commonly used in the field and having experience with any of them is a huge asset in the professional world post-graduation. If asked in an interview, I would explain some of the assignments and in-class exercises that we have done with MySQL, Excel, and R. For example, I would talk about the ETL assignment and how it taught me the importance of making sure data is in the proper format for analysis. Additionally, I would talk about how we used R for analyzing grocery store purchases to make future business decisions.

• The most important takeaway from this course is that now I can make sense from any raw data that is given to me. I can make analysis using ‘R’. I can tell my employer that I can do analysis about any business data from scratch. I can collect data and store in the database using SQL. I can extract the data and analyze it using R and make the data useful for the company.

• The most important things I can takeaway from this course would be the experience we got with R & RStudio and MySQL. In future job interviews, I will be able to explain the work that we did using both of these and how it is a strong asset to have the background knowledge of these softwares. As a marketing major, I can use the R skills that we learned like decision trees to decide on a specific target market.

• For me, the most important takeaway from the course is just how important data really is for a business. Just by collecting and analyzing the transactions a business receives, that business can learn so much about what sells and what doesn’t and the various things that affect sales. This can save a lot of money and is very powerful in business today. If I had two explain what I’ve learned to a future employer I would say I know how to use two programs, MySQL and R Studio, to make data driven decisions. I also know how to organize data through schemas and I understand how different types of data are used for different analysis.

• Personally, the most important takeaway I got from this course is that data is such a complex yet crucial part of business. It is essential that companies react quickly by learning how to utilize and interpret data; otherwise, they risk falling behind rather quickly. In future job interviews, I would explain the importance of data then highlight my beginning knowledge of MySQL, R, and Excel. I would explain how my current/ future knowledge could help the company solve business problems with effective solutions.

• For me, the most important take away form this course is how to work with software like MySQL and RStudio. This is because, with these tools, I would be able to manage all the data of a company and use it for analysis in making business decisions. Furthermore, in an interview, I would explain the skills I have learned in this class by saying that I am now able to manage databases, write standard querying language, and utilize statistical software like R and procedural diagrams using Visio.

• The most important thing I took away from this class is the power of analytics. Especially our R project on airlines, delays, etc. By using a program like R, we were able to break down a tremendous amount of data in a meaningful way. I would let a future employer know that my analytics class greatly improved my SQL skills. We were able to manage a database, retrieve data and input data. I also would mention my use of R and using different packages to produce visual outputs and data breakdowns.

• This class has taught me how to use powerful technology, interpret results, and apply findings to business scenarios. I truly realized the value in this course after the analytics challenge. We were presented with a challenging question that has no single answer, which is intimidating in itself. The data given to us was fragmented, and not all of it was useful. By using Dr. Schuff’s guidelines for working with real data, we were able to clean the data, restructure it into something useful, and analyze and present our findings in a meaningful way. This experience and the skills needed to answer the question will undoubtedly prepare me for my role as a technology analyst intern.

• The course taught me a great deal about analytics. Understanding how to use programs like MySQL and R will certainly help in the long run. Collecting and analyzing data using said programs has shown me the capabilities of technology. In future job interviews, I hope to describe in great detail about how I’ve gained quite a skillset in regards to data analytics with all the assignments, notes, and research we’ve done in class.

• My most important takeaway from the course is learning about the various methods that data can be analyzed. Learning more extensively about MySQL and R Studio has helped open up more opportunities to understanding data in the future. I would explain what I’ve learned to a future employer that the class is about understanding the capabilities and limits of using different programs to break apart and understand data. Now that we are collecting so much information that can be tracked on an individual basis, it is important to gather insights with various tools and software.

• I think learning SQL was very helpful. It was great to learn the basics of transforming and storing data. SQL was tricky to learn at first but once you had the syntax down it made a lot of sense. I can use the skills I’ve learnt in SQL and apply them to other similar software.

• To me, the most important thing I have learned in this course is the significance of analytical tools and their application to data. This course introduced me and helped me in developing an understanding of how to how write and implement SQL commands. In addition to that, the course also introduced me to a very powerful software which is R Studio. In a job interview, I would explain to my employer that I learned how to utilize softwares such as MySQL & R Studio and that I am also able to create data models.

• I feel as though Data Analytics gave me an in depth understand of topics introduced in the MIS intro course. I appreciated the way it was taught, and found that I could easily ask questions if I needed help. I definitely have a better understanding of analytics in general, and the various ways data can be implemented to make changes within organizations and in organizational practices. To a future employer, I would say I have an understanding of the different processes of retrieving, inputing, organizing, and analyzing data in various scenarios.

• My biggest takeaway from this course was learning MySQL and R. Throughout the class we identified and analyzed different data types and used databases to find information. I would tell the recruiter I have a basic knowledge of MySQL and R, however having any knowledge of a database is a start. I would discuss and even show them that I have the knowledge to create them a database through the CREATE TABLE function. Also, I would tell them I know how to UPDATE, DROP, and DELETE tables. Basically, showing the interviewer I could create them a database on MySQL if asked.

• The most important takeaway from this course is learning how to extract data using ETL as well as using SQL and R. I believe SQL was the most challenging database tool to use, however it is extremely useful for companies. I also found this to be useful after speaking with coworkers at my company who say they currently use this tool. As a senior graduating next semester, learning a tool that companies currently use was beneficial for me because it gave me a skill that I can present to my boss and future company.

• The most important takeaway for me was the concept how we can base our business decisions on evidence based on data analysis rather than intuition. This gives me a better approach to analyze many real life scenarios where I can base decision about my business on data and not just business principles or the accepted truth about a particular market. Moreover, learning SQL and R were two very important skills I have developed from this course.

• Personally, the most important takeaway from the course would have to be our work using R and SQL. I am happy that I was introduced to both software and their tools. Being that I am a Supply Chain major, which is a data driven field, I would be able to talk about my experience with SQL and R and how they strengthened my analytical and statistical skills. Data analytics has taught me a lot of great skills that I will be able to use in my future job experiences.

• My most important takeaway from this course is the skills which I have attained using SQL. Getting information out of a DB using a query and creating queries for a database are two useful skills to have. Understanding basic syntax for this program took coding for SQL from a blur and turned it into a second language. ETL is another takeaway that will come in handy from this course. Acquiring this knowledge is useful for understanding how systems update and record data for any company. Being an MIS minor has opened up interviewers’ eyes when I have mentioned it. I have mentioned SQL query creation in interviews. Many companies are willing to accept you for a position with basic knowledge of SQL because they can branch off of simple knowledge with additional training for the program.

• I found the most important takeaway to be the role that data plays in the world today. Specifically, just how ubiquitous it is and how there is still so much more potential for it. Going deeper into what I had already kinda-known about data analysis also gave me a stronger interest in the topic, so, you know, that’s pretty cool I guess. If I were too explain this course to someone in an interview, I’d probably first go over the hard skills that were taught (SQL syntax, how to work with R) and then expand upon that and elaborate on how it gave me a good foundation for understanding data analysis as a whole, which I could then build upon (and intend to).

• I think the most important takeaway from the course was learning SQL and R. With these “languages” it is easier to sort through the data and find what you are looking for much quicker. There are various ways you can analyze and interpret data. You just have to be aware of the problem that is in front of you, and what is being asked and use the best solution. Visualization is also key. The clearer the visual is, the easier you will be able to interpret and understand it.

• The most important takeaway for me was learning how data can be very beneficial to businesses. The way I would explain data analytic to future employers is by showing them how data can be transformed from raw to informational by using different kinds of databases like SQL, R, and even data cubes. For example, I would demonstrate to them how using SQL lets a company retrieve large sets of records from the database, or by using R it can help a company find statistical values.

• There is a lot that was I learned this semester! I loved learning about SQL and R in addition to the concepts of the analytical world and various softwares and tools. It made me open my eyes and realize how much data is processed at any given time — ranging from when I buy groceries from the store or when I purchase something online from Amazon. A lot of these basic aspects of my life are ones I never really thought about, until this class. A perfect example would be the Amazon recommendations after I buy something.

• For me, the biggest takeaway from this class is learning how to use MySQL, both with adding and extracting data. As we discussed in class, knowing how to use SQL makes it easy to quickly pick up similar data management systems. In an interview, I would explain that the course talk me the importance of data management and using various tools, such as SQL and R, to answer analytical decisions about different sets of data.

• This course allowed me to understand how to implement the use of softwares such as SQL and R in everyday business activities. Oftentimes, when non-business people asked me what MIS is, I found myself struggling to be able to explain it. Now that I have taken this course, I have a better way of exemplifying my explanation. I would explain what I learned to a future employer by talking about a specific homework assignment and how I could use that in a real life decision that the company has to make.

• In all honesty, my personal takeaway was that MIS was not the minor for me. As a marketing major I declared the MIS minor because it only needed 3 course completions in order to obtain. However, after taking this course, I’ve learned that MIS is not meant for me and the concepts were harder to understand than I imagined.

• I think that the most important things that I will take away from Data Analytics is the use of MySQL and R. As an MIS major it is extremely important to be able to manipulate data. In my time searching for internships I discovered that many individuals at the companies I was interested in were commonly using similar softwares in their day to day operations. Interestingly enough I have actually had to discuss in job interviews how we used SQL to search through data and answer business problems.

• The biggest takeaway I got from this class was learning how to solve business problems with big data using different techniques. I feel like I can now take information and manipulate it in a more sophisticated manner to solve more difficult problems. Also being able to know the steps to building a database based on a business process will be very useful in interviews.

• The most important thing I learned in this course (besides the creation and manipulation of databases) is the concept of processing-speed in enterprise-wide computer systems.

I now have an intuitive basis to understand how and why certain legacy systems ‘take longer’ than newer and more streamlined systems. I can leverage this knowledge into a strategic risk management perspective as companies wishing to reduce time and cost should have employees who are enabled with this knowledge in its culture.

• The biggest takeaway from this class were the two softwares that we learned how to use. Out of the many internships that I applied for, a majority of the applications listed either SQL or R as a preferred skill. These two softwares did a terrific teaching me how to extract, transform and load data. I can use these skills to analyze a data set and get significant insight from it. One issue was having tons of data is that executives do not know what to do with it; this class helped me learn what to do with data.

• The most important takeaway from class is that I learned how to use R and MySQL, which are very important and what recruiters looking for. When explaining to the recruiter, I will say that the first I learned is that there are lots of technology tools for business to solve their problems, especially about data. Secondly, I’m a fast learner with these programs. Although we have completed for the assignment was basic, I can always learn more and gain more knowledge built up on my base level skill and understanding.

• For me, the most important take away form this course was learning and working through MySQL. Although it was tough to grasp for me at first, once I understood how to use the syntax, I had a lot of fun doing it. Having the knowledge about this software will further my ability to gather and analyze information in the future. To a future employer in an interview, I would be able to talk about the skills that I have obtained using the common software taught in class, such as MySQL, R, and Excel. Understanding and being about to implement these would be beneficial to any company.

• The Most important takeaway would be MySQL. When I first started I was really lost and I thought I was never going to understand how to actually write a single command. I thought it was a completely new language, but after re-watching, all the class captures I got a grip on everything. The way I would explain this to an employer would be by simply explaining that I learned how to create, update, and clean a database. All because of 2102 Data analytics taught by professor Schuff.

• The most important thing for me was learning how databases store information. This provides the foundation for the “how to” in every program and understanding how and why each program functions as it does. I actually recently used this class in an interview. I was asked how my business analytics minor was related to my supply chain major in the interview and I was able to explain that my understanding of data analytics learned in this class went hand in hand with the other skills I was learning in my supply chain classes. This class has been super helpful in teaching me the basics of databases and the programs used to manipulate and store them.

• For me, the most important takeaway from this class would be the knowledge gained from working with MySQL and Excel. I enjoyed writing the syntax and learning different type of function of Excel. I think having experience with these two software would have a great help for my future career; and that is something that I can tell my employer during a interview.

• My most important takeaway for me would be R. I feel like I have a good grasp on how to use it and how it could be applied to outside scenarios. To a future employer, I explain that I’ve learned skills for analyzing databases and organizing the data. These skills are incredibly valuable and can help solve many different business problems.

• The most important takeaway from this class was the utilization of MySQL to help business practices and the skills I learned from it. In future job interviews I would explain to employers the knowledge I have this commonly used tool. I would explain I know how to create, update,clean, extract data from a database. I can show employers how to utilize raw data and large database in a company’s day to day operations.

• For me personally, the most important takeaway was how to interpret and analyse data in a significant way as well as resources that can make this possible. I would explain what i’ve learned by giving examples of work that was completed in the course. Using R for example is a great skill for all types of data analysis. More importantly, we learned to interpret this data in the classroom which will be an invaluable skill for a data driven world.

• The most important takeaway that I have found was MySQL – several of my potential future employers expressed great interest in my ability to utilize and understand MySQL, while most of them did not see as much value in the other technologies we learned how to use. I would tell an employer that I learned, in this class, how to take apart, understand, and analyze a database.

• The most important takeaway from the course would be learning MySQL & R. From these two softwares, I learn how to create, update, extract, and analyze data. To explain what I’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview, I would talk about the assignments we have done and tell them what I’ve learned from using these softwares.

• In a course that explored many different areas of data analytics and the technology available to analyze and interpret data, rather than a specific item we discussion, for me the greatest take away was more so the need to have a truly expert level understanding of the functionality of the programs as a whole (SQL, R, Excel, etc). I felt like the exams in this course regarding SQL and such were challenging– but that is a good thing in a sense because, firstly, if you don’t know how to derive me meaning from the data you are examining, there’s not much use to it. Second, if you only are not fully able to comprehend the scope of possibilities when analyzing a piece of information (such as how we talked about the way it’s important to look at not just the lift value but the support and confidence levels relative to the data set), you’re going to make errors and draw incorrect conclusions.

• For me, the most important takeaway from this class is the experiences I’ve gained from working with MySQL, R, and Excel. If i were to explain the experiences that I’ve learned, I’d tell them that with MySQL I can build data base structures and use it to solve business problems such as operational, transactional, and analytical data problems.

• The most important takeaway from this course would definitely be MySQL knowledge. I have seen many internship and job postings that have required SQL proficiency in the job description. I would be able to explain my learning experience from this topic as one that has allowed me to extract, transform, and load data using SQL. Within this, I would be able to explain the process and language for each part of the ETL process in SQL.

• In this course the most important things I learned included the material for the last exam. Exam 3 dealt with data analysis, clustering, nodes and using R for descriptive statistics. I could use this information to emphasize the importance of selecting groups of data and finding patterns to determine correlations between groups.

• I’d say the most important takeaway I’ve gained was from our work in SQL. The ability to navigate, analyze and make changes to data within a database is an important skill in all industries today. I would explain to a potential employer my introduction to SQL in this course has given me an interest in learning more and putting my skills to use.

• The biggest takeaway from this class is how we can start from raw data and end with useful information. This allows us to make informed decisions which is very important considering MIS has a focus on business.

To future employers, I would explain how I am able to get data and transform it in to something useful. I can store lots of data and bring it back up easily. I also learned how to use programs such as MySQL, Excel, and R/R Studio.

• I find the most important aspect of this course is not only the MySQL and R and Rstudio application but the ability to handle and analyze big data. All companies store and use large amounts of data and it is very important that it can be interpreted. Having background specifically using SQL is a common requirement for job applications and if it is not required, it is a valuable assent to bring up in an interview.

I would say that the most important takeaway from this course is SQL. This is because ,in a data-driven world, this program enriches us with basic knowledge of how to manage information to appropriate software. With basic knowledge of these programs, one can independently excel their proficiency and use the tool more efficiently to solve problems. Personally, knowing the difference between both transnational and analytical databases and its functions serve as a greater skill especially when using data platforms in this course . This skill becomes vital in industries that value information, and manage databases on a daily basis, especially in analytics.

• The most important take away from the course would have to be getting to learn MySQL and R. The way I would describe to my employer what I learned from this course is that it gave me more insight in programming and a little bit of coding, which is essential in a lot of job requirements especially for IT or MIS.

• For me, the most important takeaways from this course were the technical skills I learned with using MySQL, R, and Excel, and also just gaining a better understanding of how you can look at a business’ data in various ways. I would explain to an employer that I can take what I’ve learned from this class, like clustering, decision trees, association rules, etc., to understand their customers or that I can utilize the MySQL skills to analyze data from a database to gain important insights.

• The most important takeaway from this class was learning the principles of data visualizations and why they can be very important to a large data set, but also why it could be misleading to the viewer. I would explain in an interview that a chart should tell a story, minimize graphical complexity, and have graphical integrity. It’s important that the data visualization you use is not 3D, and should be tested using the Tufte’s lie detector. The graph that Donald Trump tweeted out during the election was a perfect example of how a visualization could look misleading. While the % was only off by 2, because of the weight of the design it looked as Trump had a bigger gap of victory than Hillary Clinton. When you scale it to the appropriate size, they look very close as it should be.

• For me the most important takeaways from this course were the technical skills we learned when building databases along with the use of R and R Studio. Learning how to enter and extract data was huge for me because I always found it interesting how databases worked but never understood the underlying concepts and principles of the types of databases along with how they receive, process and produce information. I would explain in an interview that with these skills I can add value to the firm by building databases for better customer relationship management and I can use my skills in R Studio to help with marketing efforts.