Instructor: David Schuff

Weekly Question

Weekly Question #10: Complete by November 30, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 30, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class! If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Thanksgiving is coming!

Name and describe a Thanksgiving-themed question that you could answer using clustering. What data would you collect to perform the analysis? Don’t use an example we’ve covered in class.

Weekly Question #9: Complete by November 16, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 16, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class! If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer one of the two questions below (not both):

1. Name and describe a business question that you could answer using a decision tree. What data would you collect to perform the analysis? Don’t use an example we’ve covered in class.
  2. What advice would you give someone regarding how to select the right predictor variables for a decision tree analysis?

Weekly Question #8: Complete by November 2, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on November 2, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Do a little bit of research and come up with an example of how R is used. You can describe either a company using R and what they use it for, a news story about how companies are using it, or an interesting package that does some interesting functionality. Write one to three sentences on what you found and the URL where you found it.

(Hint: Just Google “companies using R” or “applications of R” or something like that. Examples aren’t too difficult to find.)

Weekly Question #7: Complete by October 26, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 26, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class! If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

In class we discussed how data cubes are made up of dimensions and measured facts. Give an example of a data cube that we didn’t discuss in class by describing:

• The business question to be answered.
  • The dimensions.
  • The measured fact(s).

Weekly Question #6: Complete by October 19, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 19, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

In class we discussed several examples of how data can be stored in different formats in two different sources (i.e., a date can be represented mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy). Give your own example of a scenario, other than the ones we discussed in class, where data could be represented two different ways. How would you reconcile this conflict when combining the data sources?

Weekly Question #5: Complete by October 12, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on October 12, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Consider the best practices for data visualizations we discussed in class. Take a look at two infographic sites: The Daily Infographic and Cool Infographics. Find a graphic that does a nice job of telling a story. Post a link to the graphic and explain why you think it’s an example of a good data visualization.

Weekly Question #4: Complete by September 28

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 28, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Our exam review will be held during class on September 28. What is a topic (or specific question) that you would like to discuss during the review session to prepare for the exam?

Weekly Question #3: Complete by September 21, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on September 21, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer this question:

Describe a situation where you could use a join to retrieve information from a set of tables. For example, if you have orders in one table and customers in another table, you’d need to join those tables to figure out which orders were placed by the customers who lived in Pennsylvania.

Where and when do we meet?
Alter Hall 232
12:30 - 1:50 Tuesdays and Thursdays
Office Hours
David Schuff (instructor):
2:00-3:00, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Speakman Hall 210E and email (see my site)

Lauren Soentgen (ITA):
1:00 - 2:00 Mondays
11:00-12:00 Fridays
Speakman Hall 210D (and see her site)