Data Analytics – Section 1

Weekly Question

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 18, 2016. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Now that the course is just about over, think about what you’ve learned.

• For you, what is the most important takeaway from the course?
  • How would you explain what you’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview?

42 Responses to Weekly Question

• The most important take away from this class is that the first step in the data base management is to plan out everything if needed on paper. It really goes a long way in planning out the processes. I would tell future employers that I have experience with managing and creating and editing databases.

• The most important take away is the mindset used data analytics. I learned that I needed a logical understanding of how a system works, so that I could wrap my head around all the concepts. This covers learning the programs needed in class, relating content it to your life and adopting new ideas in general. I realized the mindset’s importance recently because of the internships I’ve been communicating with. Every internship focuses on a logical and analytical mindset to achieve their goals and learn new jobs.

• One of the significant concepts that I have taken away from this Data Analytics course is understanding computer language and the benefits of tools such as SQL and R Studio. As a Strategic Communications major it was really interesting learning different commands for SQL and leveraging that to extract information from different database. Initially, I thought some of the concepts were tedious specifically for the assignments, however I have noticed an improvement in my problem solving skills after having to reconfigure and readjust my approaches to the assignments. In a job interview, I would explain what I’ve learned by discussing the programs and the benefits that they have in helping businesses make decisions using the data they already have.

• The most important takeaway that I learned from this class was how to utilize software like MySQL and R Studio and along with the architecture of an Organization with how data travels. MySQL and R Studio are both software that I’m sure I will see in the future so it was definitely important to get some background knowledge about them and how to use them. Also, learning about how data is transferred from the beginning stages of data entry to data analysis was helpful because I’m interested in either the data analyst or system analyst field. I would tell a future employer that I learned how to create data models, transactional databases, and analytical databases along with utilizing software such as MySQL and R Studio to create and browse databases.

• I feel the most important takeaway from this class was learning how to use SQL. SQL is highly demanded in many of today’s fields and this skill can be very beneficial to our career searches. Just as important as the coding itself, was learning its application to the business environment. In a job interview, we can talk about how we can use SQL to provide analysis and/or solutions to assist their specific business processes.

• the most important takeaway that I took from this class are the experience of learning and using SQL and RStudio. The way I would explain to my employer of why having this knowledge is important is by explaining that I can take cluttered information to make it into information that can be more beneficial for the company. As a Marketing Major, in a sense I am able to use the information that is given and directly market towards customers within the demographic area, or even by the products they have purchased. Retaining this knowledge will definitely help me in the long run.

• The most important takeaway from this course is my new understanding of the power of data. Not only was I able to gain familiarity with several tools for data analytics, I was also able to gain an appreciation and an interest for how data analysis can benefit any company or organization. I would explain this to an employer by giving examples of certain assignments that I’ve had, and give details about skills I’ve learned in SQL and R. In addition, I would just explain my general understanding about the role data analysis should play in the company I’m interviewing with.

• The most important takeaway that I took from this class is the importance that data analytics plays in all parts of our lives. From supermarkets to retail shopping, from large corporations to small businesses, from in store retailers to online purchases, data analysis is used to make everyday business decisions that could potentially increase revenues. Taking a look at the statistical importance of different business decisions using R studios has shown me first hand why our particular skill set as MIS majors is so in demand.

• Before I attended this first class, or even before i chose the MIS major, I never really knew what data was about. So for me, the most essential takeaway from this Data Analytics course was learning the importance of big data. This course guided me on the path to think more critically and analytically when approaching a problem. To my future employer at a job interview, I would explain that i’ve learned how to seek relevant information to solve business problems by manipulating data using software such as MySQL, R Studio, and Excel.

• The two biggest takeaways that I have from this course are 1) a preliminary understanding of the data analysis workflow/cycle and 2) my understanding of the “data-speak” behind basic analytical tools such as R and SQL. While not an MIS major/minor, I am glad I took this class because so much is rooted in data now. I hope to work in government and policy and with the civic tech. movement, I think that being able to talk in terms of data analysis will be helpful in interviews. It will separate me as someone not vertically versed in policy-making but also data-driven policy-making.

• 13. This class really showed me how data works and how I can use it for my benefit. Understanding the different types of data, and how it is transformed into historical data through the ETL process was very beneficial. It is also important to differentiate among data to find what is most relevant. Something that I enjoyed using was the SQL database, in which data relevancy was important, to create a good database with efficient results. Next, using R studios was a great tool to use when browsing through large databases. R studios can save us a lot of time, so that alone can solve many issues if we were pressured on time. Finally, data visualization, which I believe is one of the most important elements because it is all about presenting our data. If it isn’t done clearly or in the right way, our work might just mean nothing to others. I would use SQL, R-studios, and data visualization to explain to my future employer.

• The most important things that I would take away from this class would be my knowledge from using different analytical tools such as SQL, R and RStudio. I think that these particular things were most interesting and opened my mind to new and exciting technologies. In a job interview I would explain to my employer that I am proficient in using SQL, both pulling data out of a database and putting data into the database. I would also explain how I was familiar with RStudio as well as analyzing the data from the decision trees and clustering graphs and charts. Learning more about Excel will also better prepare me for my future job as an MIS major no matter what job I will have in the future. Everything that I’ve learned in Data Analytics this semester was new and interesting and I can’t wait to use this knowledge and apply it to future job positions.

• Everything in this course was important because everything links together. I believe that learning the feel of some of the software we used was a good way to understand how these software’s work. Such as: MYSQL, R Studio and Excel are many ways we can manage data which is very important.
    I learned in my data analytic class that we have different types of data, different types of software that help us find data we need. How we can make better decisions using data, how we can put data into graphs and have any random person look at it and understand what is on the graph.That is how we are able to connect both worlds of IT and business together!

• I think my biggest take away from this course is the ability to organize data in my head. Data analytics forces you to think about how you want to extract the information you need from a large set of data. If you think about SQL, you must think about how the data is organized and what you need from the data. This will help me through the rest of my life because you constantly need to think about how to get the information you need.
    I would tell an employer that I have learned about different types of data and different types of software that help us organize large sets of data. I have learned how we can use large data to predict and analyze business decisions which will be helpful in my future career.

• The most important aspect of the course was learning how to adjust to information technology as a language, and being able to apply the language to a business situation. For example, using MySQL and Rstudio took a degree of adjusting to technology language, but once understood, I was able to tell a story with the data. If an employer asked what I have learned from this course, I would simply say I can understand, interpret, and communicate information technology language much more fluently now.

• The most important takeaway from this course for me was through the use of Excel and SQL. These tools will come in handy when your boss gives you a spreadsheet filled with a million rows of data. I would explain to my potential employer that our Excel and SQL assignments simulated questions that we may come across while working in the field such as which customers spent the highest amount of money in a given month or year? Through these tools, we can analyze and make sense of collected data we are given.

• The most important takeaway for me is the learning how to code in SQL. As I have found out, SQL is used everywhere and by putting that on my resume, I can stand out from the crowd. I would explain to a future employer that I am proficient in writing SQL code and can do basic functions such as selecting specific data from a database as well and modify database tables.

• I feel that the most important take away from this class was actually learning to work with data! In MIS 2101, when the Data Analytics Challenge became a requirement, I felt entirely overwhelmed by it because I did not know there were accessible tools that could help me interpret the data. Now that I’ve been introduced to tools like MySQL and Rstudio, I feel that working with data has not only become much easier, but it has become interesting as well.
    In a job interview, I would explain the work I’ve done with data analytics in those particular programs. The experience would definitely look good and they would know that I’m someone who would be able to handle a company’s data!

• The most important takeaway for me was learning how to store, analyze, and extrapolate information from data. These are valuable skills in any job because the ability to quantitatively and qualitatively interpret data is very important across all job functions. I would explain my experience in a similar way to an interviewer. I would also point out that I gained experience in translating numerical computations into easy-to-understand, everyday language.

• Among all the MIS classes that I have taken, this is by far the most interesting and personally most favorite class of all. I like how I was taught the various aspect of data presentation and visualization and what goes on before and after it is processed into meaningful information. Software is usually tough to grasp (as observed in the MIS3501 classes) however I believe that the flow and pace of this class helped in understanding the fundamentals of data and eventually working on high end software (such as MYSQL and R Studio) and see the possibilities of creating meaningful information.

• One of the many important lessons I learned from MIS 2502 is that in order to build an useful data system, I need to gather as much information about the desired ending result from the end user as possible. For instance, to draw an ERD, I need to read the entire story to get a full understanding of the process before start drawing out relationships. In a job interview, I would explain that I learned about data manipulation, from the point data is entered to where it is analyzed to help users make better decisions. I would also include specific examples of using SQL, Pivot Table, and Rstudio to explain my learning of data entry, data extraction, and data analysis.

• After taking this course, my ability to understand and interpret the way data and information (as well as the difference between the two) is created and made, has increased. After gaining experience with SQL, it is a lot easier to grasp the concepts of creating tables, retrieving and editing data – I also learned the importance of doing so in order to make more efficient decisions. Data and information are key elements in today’s world and society let alone a staple of the business world (every department can benefit from the better decision-making that efficient displays of data can provide us with).

• The most important takeaway for me in this course would be having gained the overall knowledge of how data analytics works. I’ve learned the various different ways of how to extract meaningful data from databases and use that to find out specific information about a problem or situation. I would explain to a future employer that I now have the skills to use different systems, such as MySQL and R Studio, to extract meaningful data that would ultimately help out the company. I provide specific examples of the in-class exercises and assignments that we have done to further explain what exactly I was able to do to analyze and extract different information.

• The most important takeaway for me from this course was learning how to use and interpret MySQL and RStudio. Another important skill that I learned was how to analyze data through the use of pivot tables created in Excel. I learned a little bit about pivot tables in the Introduction to Microsoft Excel course, but I feel that I was able to understand it more from examples that we completed in class. I would explain to a future employer that I am proficient in both MySQL and RStudio, and able to analyze large data and translate it into something that the average person would understand.

• I learned a whole lot in this course. The greatest benefit in my eyes was learning the basics of “coding” and how to use multiple different database systems. Being able to discuss both SQL and R should greatly benefit me in a future interview. I have not worked with PHP, HTML, Java or other programming languages yet, but I am relatively certain that this class has properly prepared me for when I do need to learn them.

• The most important thing that I got out of this class, was that working with data is fun. Whether it is working with SQL, creating visualizations, or using Pivot tables, you can uncover so many things from data. Tools such as R and SQL will definitely tools I will work a lot with in the future. Data analytics will be important for companies to gain an advantage in the future.

• One off the biggest takeaways in this semester is learning the power of analyzing data. I appreciate the exercises we used in Excel because Excel is used throughout the business world. The company I will be interning at this summer uses SQL therefore learning the basics of SQL in this class gives me a solid foundation of the language and will prepare me for the type of work I will be doing in this summer.

• The takeaways from this course I find most important are Excel and SQL. During the internship interviews i had this semester every firm asked me about my Excel proficiency. Learning the framework of SQL in class then furthering my learning independently did help me in my interviews. Having a solid base of Excel and SQL allowed me to accept my internship at TD Bank this summer doing IT Audit.

• The biggest takeaway from this course for me was learning just how many ways data analytics can improve decision making on a daily bases. This class, along with learning about data analytics in 2101, were what ultimately inspired me to add a double major in MIS. The most crucial technical skills that I’ve learned and will be able to take advantage of in my future career are how to utilize MySQL Workbench in order to create, modify and query databases, as well as how to utilize R Studio to determine relationships and patterns in the data. I have also learned how to utilize Excel even more efficiently, by being able to create pivot tables and augment data variables to see the exact correlations that I am interested in seeing. In addition to learning how to read and get information, this course has also taught me how to better display and present information to a co-worker, superior, or potential client through using proper data visualization techniques. This knowledge is also completely relevant for Marketing purposes, and therefore I will be able to use my combined knowledge in both fields to be able to optimize my effectiveness when working in a future potential internship and career.

• The most important takeaway from this class was learning the various ways of pulling out and interacting with meaningful data. In an interview with an employer I would be able to explain from what I’ve learned I can extract from the businesses, data that can do any of the following: Trends, customer behaviors, selling patterns, etc. All of which can be for the betterment of the company.

• The most important take away from the course for me was the use of SQL and Excel. Extracting information, manipulating data, and updating databases with functions that other users often have no familiarity using. I would tell an employer that I have gained a coveted set of skills working with big data through course assignments. These set of skills have better prepared me for working in an analytical role with big data and making decisions based on the information found.

• When looking back at the class I think I value a number of things that I learned. However, more than anything else, I found learning how to manipulate and read data in multiple different ways takes the highest level of importance. Now that I know how to input and output data in more than one way, I have no reason not to believe that this class could possibly be the reason why I land a future internship or job position.

• The most important takeaway from this class is learning how to utilize data and making it into something that we can use to predict things. Being able to manage tons and tons of data and turning data into information. I would tell them that I learned how to handle and manipulate data and turn it into something useful that can be used for the benefit of the company.

• The most important takeaway from this course is understanding well the relation of data and information. The tools we practiced to use like MySQL, pivot table, R language and basic ERD graph, they are all designed for easiest and fastest data processing. But all of tools are based on understanding of materials, excerpt information to simpler commands on tools. You need to read instructions, practices more and write basic commands to get perfect answers. If I am in a job interview in the future, I would tell my employers about how can I quick learn, understand and use these data processing applications in different working environment.

• This course has given me great insight on how data analytics is used in business and other sectors. A main takeaway from this course are the skills needed to utilize MySQL and R Studio. These programs are very helpful in managing and analyzing data for a wide range of uses. I feel that I have more expertise that I can add to my knowledge bank for my career.

• The biggest takeaway from this class for me was learning various ways of analyzing data for different purposes. This allows to me to see the data in a different perspective and gives me an idea how big data is analyzed in a systematic way. Also, the knowledge that I learned from this class will help my professional career because it enhanced my computer skills. And I believe that knowing how to use RStuido and MySQL can help my career in the insurance industry because insurance industry is heavily relay on the use of the big data.

• I most enjoyed learning how to use the “hot” technology that all companies use to sort, analyze, and visualize their data, specifically: SQL and R. Both of these new skills I’ve developed will help me succeed in my internship role this summer, and in upcoming employment opportunities. I would explain to an employer in an interview that this class gave me the tools needed to better understand how data works, and the inspiration it gave me to learn more about all aspects of “big data.”

• Everything that I learned in this class was valuable from SQL to analyzing data in R. What we learned in SQL really helped me with my other MIS courses that also used SQL. My favorite part of the class was using Rstudio to analyze statistical data. I especially liked the clustering assignment because it produced various visuals to analyze the data. I also enjoyed learning data visualization principles. We see manipulation of data in graphics all the time for various companies such as Verizon who markets their company by using a map to show Verizon users. I would tell a future employer that I have experience analyzing data in Rstudio and manipulating databases in SQL.

• Learning SQL and R was very important in this class as it will be very beneficial in the future to not only have experience with these specific systems, but also to have experience learning new systems in general. Use of these systems helped with data visualization which brought the course together from what we learned in the beginning until now. Being able to analyze big data with these systems will be helpful in the future working in the IT field.

• For me, the most important takeaway from Data Analytics would be learning SQL, pivot tables in Excel and R/RStudio. The tech industry is getting bigger and bigger and there is an explosion of the amount of data that is stored in servers all over the world. Companies need the people to fill in those high demand jobs and knowledge in database management or data software is a huge plus in this field. Knowing how to sift through piles of data is huge for anyone looking to land a tech job either in the US or looking to work all over the world. Many of these database management jobs can be done remotely which gives you the option to travel around the world while you work on your laptop. No matter what, data is huge everywhere.

I would explain that because of my knowledge of SQL, pivot tables in Excel and R/RStudio, I am able to organize massive amounts of data for a company which can help its business and financial decisions. In SQL I’ve learned how data can be read, written to and manipulated. Tables can be generated, dropped, changed and altered easily through commands. I’ve learned about the table structures and how the databases are contained on the servers which can be accessed remotely from anywhere in the world. MySQL (along with other DBMS’s) are crucial to data storage because of the exponentially increasing amount of data. With pivot tables in Excel, I am able to extract, transform and load different formatted data into easier to read tables to generate critical information faster and easier. Data can be extracted in Excel similar to SQL for easier interpretation for better business decisions in the future. Excel can be used in conjunction with SQL for further data analysis. R and RStudio is a great tool for data modeling which can be used to get into the nitty-gritty details of your data. With R and RStudio, data can be observed with varying levels of granularity which is important if you want to find the intricate details of the data.

• Personally, I believe the most important takeaway from this course is understanding how data can be transformed and analyzed to help solve everyday business problems in short and long term scenarios. Learning to use different systems like SQL, Excel, and R/R studios opened my eyes and expanded my knowledge on how easily data can be recorded and retrieved for business purposes. Gaining the experience with these different softwares prepared me for real life business situations where I can use data to my advantage.