MIS2502: Data Analytics (Spring 2017)

Instructor: Jing Gong, Section 002/004

Companies Using R

What companies use R for data analysis? Check the list compiled by listendata.com. Here are some examples:

1. Facebook – For behavior analysis related to status updates and profile pictures.
  2. Google – For advertising effectiveness and economic forecasting.
  3. Twitter – For data visualization and semantic clustering
  4. Microsoft – Acquired Revolution R company and use it for a variety of purposes.
  5. Uber – For statistical analysis
  6. Airbnb – Scale data science.
  7. IBM – Joined R Consortium Group
  8. ANZ – For credit risk modeling
  9. HP
  10. Ford
  11. Novartis
  12. Roche
  13. New York Times – For data visualization
  14. Mckinsey
  15. BCG
  16. Bain

Hint for Assignment #5 (Pivot Tables)

I got quite some questions related to Q4 and Q5 of Assignment #5, both of which ask you to create a pivot table first, and then use the excel AVERAGE function in a separate cell outside the pivot table.

Here is an example of what I mean by “use the Excel AVERAGE function to average those values … in a separate cell outside the Pivot Table.”

Link: Hint for HW5 – Q4 and Q5

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jing

Assignment #5: Pivot Tables in Excel (Due Thursday, 3/23/2017, 11:59 pm)

Here are the instructions: Assignment #5 – Pivot Tables

You will need this VandelaySales2013.xlsx file to complete the assignment.

It is due 3/23/2017, 11:59 pm.

Please submit a word or pdf file on Blackboard. Your submission should include (1) the answer to each question and (2) the Pivot Table or Pivot Chart created to answer the question (unless otherwise specified).

Assignment #3: SQL Part 2 – Putting Information into a Database (Due 3/2/2017, 11:59 pm)

See instructions here: Assignment #3: SQL Part 2

For this assignment, you will need to use MySQL Workbench to finish building the contact management database for MarketCo that you started during ICA #6. Therefore, you must complete the in-class activity before you do this assignment.

It’s due on Thursday, 3/2/2017, 11:59 pm. Please submit your assignment on Blackboard.

Additional Practice Problems (ERD, Schema, Advanced SQL)

Some students mentioned that they would like to practice on ERD/schema/SQL questions.

Here is an additional ERD and Schema exercise for practice: Additional ERD and Schema Exercise

Here are some additional practice questions on advanced SQL queries (Joining tables, LIMIT, and subselects): Additional Pen-and-Paper SQL Query Exercise (NOTE that Advanced SQL queries — Joining tables, LIMIT, and subselects — will not be covered in Exam 1)

Both exercises will not be collected. Solutions are already included.

Super Bowl Ads — Is it Worth it?

I just found an interesting research paper analyzing the effect of Super Bowl ads on movie box office sales: Super returns to Super Bowl ads? (by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, Hal Varian and Michael D. Smith).

One of the authors of the paper is my PhD advisor Michael D. Smith, and another author is Hal Varian, the chief Economist of Google and the author of a few Econ textbooks. They find that the movies that had Super Bowl ads got an additional $8.4 million sales in the opening weekend compared to movies without Super Bowl ads, whereas the cost of a Super Bowl ad is $3 million.

The study is interesting in that it mimics a random experiment — firms have to decide whether to purchase Super Bowl ads long before they know which teams will be playing. Thus, the winners of the NFC and AFC Championship games are random to the audience in the home cities of the winning teams. Therefore, the authors compare the increased sales of the advertised movie in the home cities of the winning teams, to the increased sales of the advertised movie in home cities of “near-qualifying” teams. The relative difference in the increased sales can be attributed to Super Bowl ads.