Instructor: Jing Gong. Class Time: M/W/F 2:00-2:50 pm

Announcements

Agenda for Week 5 (Week of 9/25)

Class Schedule:

• Monday — We will wrap up ICA #4 – SQL Pen and Paper Query Exercise and start the slide deck SQL 1: Advanced Queries.
  • Wednesday — We will work on ICA #5 – SQL Part 1 (using MySQL Workbench).
  • Friday — We will work on a new module: SQL Part 2 – Putting information into a database.

Deadlines (unless otherwise mentioned, the due time is 11:59 pm):

• Assignments
    • Bonus Assignment – Converting ERDs to Schemas: Monday 9/25.
    • Assignment #2 – SQL Part 1: Monday, 10/2
  • ICAs:
    • ICA #4 – SQL Pen and Paper Query Exercise: Monday, 9/25.
    • ICA #5 – SQL Part 1 (using MySQL Workbench): Friday, 9/29.

I also want to share this MySQL joke with you, just for fun:

Source: http://database.ca/databasehumorhumourjokes.aspx

Companies Using MySQL

You might be interested to know how popular MySQL is in the real world. What companies are running MySQL? Well, the list is quite long (see a complete list of companies using MySQL here), but here are some examples.

• E-Commerce: Amazon, Airbnb, Alibaba, Booking.com, craigslist, ebay, Google, Groupon, Uber, Yahoo
  • Telecom: Alcatel-Lucent, AT&T Wireless, Comcast, Verizon Wireless
  • Technology: Apple, Cisco, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, NEC, Symantec, Xerox
  • Web/Social: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, Quora, Wikipedia, Yelp
  • Media/Entertainment: NBCUniversal, New York Times, Youtube
  • Retail: Sears, Walmart, Spirit, Macy’s West
  • Travel/Airlines: Continental Airlines, Virgin America, KAYAK, Orbitz

Agenda for Week 4 (Week of 9/18)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for Week 4.

Class Schedule:

• Monday — We will work on In-Class Activity (ICA) #3 – Converting ERDs to schemas. It is due by Wednesday (9/20).
  • Wednesday — We will start a new module  –  “SQL 1: Getting data out of a database.”
    • Make sure that you have MySQL Workbench installed on your own computer;
    • Also, review the supplementary slides “MySQL and Workbench” on your own, before class.
  • Friday — We will work on ICA #4 (SQL Pen and Paper Query Exercise). It is due by Monday, 9/25.

Deadlines (unless otherwise mentioned, the due time is 11:59 pm):

• Assignments
    • Assignment #1 – ER Modeling: Monday, 9/18.
    • I will post a bonus assignment on converting ERDs to Schemas, it will be due on Monday 9/25.
  • ICAs:
    • ICA #3 – Converting ERDs to schemas: Wednesday, 9/20.
    • ICA #4 – SQL Pen and Paper Query Exercise: Monday, 9/25.

Best,
Jing

Nathan’s office hour for Assignment #1

Our ITA, Nathan Pham (nathan.pham@temple.edu), will hold office hour to answers questions about the assignment or anything about the class.

Below is the location/time info.

• Time: Saturday (Sept 16, 2017) from 2:00 – 3:30 pm

As usually, my regular office hours are on Mondays/Wednesdays between 3:00-4:00 in SP 201C. Also feel free to make an appointment with me if you cannot make it to my regular office hours.

Agenda for Week 3 (Week of 9/11)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for Week 3.

Class Schedule:

• Monday — We will finish up entity relationship diagrams and work on In-Class Activity (ICA) #2 – ER Modeling. It is due by Wednesday (9/13) at 11:59 pm.
  • Wednesday — We will talk about the last component of relational data modeling — that is, how to convert an ERD to a “Database Schema.”
  • Friday — We will work on In-Class Activity (ICA) #3 – Converting ERDs to schemas. It is due by Monday (9/18) at 11:59 pm.

Deadlines:

• ICA #2 – ER Modeling: due by Wednesday, 9/13, at 11:59 pm.
  • ICA #3 – Converting ERDs to schemas: due by Monday, 9/18, at 11:59 pm.
  • Assignment #1 – ER Modeling: due by Monday, 9/18, at 11:59 pm.

Best,
Jing

Agenda for Week 2 (Week of 9/4)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for Week 2.

Class Schedule:

• Monday — Labor Day & No class!
  • Wednesday — We will work on In-Class Activity (ICA) #1 – Identify entities and attributes during class. It is due by Friday (9/8) at 11:59 pm. (The document is posted here.  will bring hard-copies so you do not have to print the exercise yourself.)
  • Friday — We will talk more about entity relationship diagrams (ERDs).

Deadlines:

• ICA #1 – Identify entities and attributes will be due by Friday (9/8) at 11:59 pm.
  • Assignment #1 will be annouced, and due by Monday, 9/18 at 11:59 pm.

Best,
Jing

Agenda for the 1st week of class (Week of 8/28)

Dear all,

Below is the agenda for this week.

Class Schedule:
On Monday, we will have a brief overview of the course and Things You Can Do With Data (Module 1)
On Wednesday, we will have a short lecture on The Information Architecture of an Organization (Module 2).
On Friday, We will start getting more serious by introducing Relational Data Modelling (Module 3)!

Deadlines:
Good news! There is no deliverable due this week. But I would really appreciate if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this survey: MIS 2502.002 Survey: Get to know your background by September 2 (the end of the 1st week). This is for me to know a bit about you so that I can adjust the materials based on your background and interests. Your response would be much appreciated.

PS. As you may notice, I post up-to-date materials here. So it is a good idea for you to bookmark this web site and check it regularly.

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday!

Best,

Jing

Welcome to MIS2502 Data Analytics!

Dear students,

Welcome to MIS2502 Data Analytics!

Please note that we will use this site to post up-to-date materials such as syllabus/schedule, class announcements, slide decks, in-class activities, and assignment instructions. While I will try to make announcements both in class and on the community site, it is a good idea for you to check the web site regularly.

The Blackboard site will be primarily for assignment submission, and sharing answer keys and videos/recordings. The grades will also be posted on Blackboard.

Looking forward to seeing you in the first week of class!

Cheers,
Jing Gong