Instructor: Jing Gong

Last Weekly Question (Due Friday, December 4)

Leave your response to the question below as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on December 4, 2015. It only needs to be three or four sentences.

Answer one, two or three of the questions below. (Note: If you’d like to present in class. You need to pick Question 1.)

1. Name and describe a business question that you could answer using association rules. What data would you collect to perform the analysis? Don’t use an example we’ve covered in class.
  2. What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS2502 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?
  3. Our review for the final exam is during class on December 4. What question about the material we’ve covered so far would you like to discuss during the review?
    (NOTE: Focus on your understanding of the material, not “will x be on the exam?”!)

39 Responses to Last Weekly Question (Due Friday, December 4)

• I’d say to my future scholar that being in the realm of MIS be ready to explore data in a entirely different atmosphere and be willing to work hard. This is a class that is really sophisticated with a couple of courses like R studio and Excel data plots just to name a few that will put you on a fast track to proficiently make you one of the best. While going through these course it is imperative that you not get frustrated because you will lose site of your goal of becoming the best in data analytics.

• 2. My most important takeaway from this course was the importance of considerate analysis, especially with data analysis. Without careful consideration, database structures can be ineffective, data itself can be redundant and incorrect, and meaningful analysis could suffer as a result. Information system inefficiences and inaccuracies cost businesses not only money, but time and employees’ wellbeing (it’s always frustrating when dealing with a difficult system!). If I had to explain what this course is about to a future MIS 2502 student, I would say it is about introducing the essentials of data analysis and familiarizing yourself with a handful of data analytic approaches and softwares.
    3. I would like to review clustering on December 4th, especially SSE.

Thanks for a wonderful semester!

• I’d say the most important take-away was simply the hands-on experience with the statistical software, such as R. From the job postings I’ve seen, the demand for experience in using advanced features of Excel, R and SQL are – at the very least – going to make a candidate more attractive to a potential employer, especially if the candidate takes the initiative and becomes certified (Lynda.com offers Excel certifications, and so does Microsoft.com). As competitive as the corporate and government environments appear to be, any pronounced software skills are going to be one of the first keywords implemented by headhunters or individual employers looking for individuals with the skills to support operations and objectives. Aside from a bachelor’s degree, the parting advice I would leave with a future MIS 2502 student could be summed up in a single word: certification. Get certifications that will decorate your resume and that potential employers could see on LinkedIn.com.

• I think the most important takeaway from this course is being able to not only use the applications such as mySQL or R, but understanding the conceptual aspects of what’s happening to the data when that data is being used. I would say this course is about using data through the outlets of different applications like mySQL and/or R and understanding the process data goes through to find specific answers when data is narrowed down.

• 3. I would like to go into more detail of the first R assignment (#7). One specific detail I would like to go over is how to tell if something is statistically significant and how to use that information in a business decision. I would also like to better understand how this relates to association data mining.

• I would like to review about the association rules and clustering. For association rules, I get lost on the notations with the bracket and arrows. The notations in the formula of LIft, Confidence, and support confuse me a little. Review on the problems dealing with associations rules and SSE clustering.

• 3)

I would like to go into detail about the math we need to know for the exam. They seem to be pretty straightforward but I would like to just see more examples from start to finish

• 2. What was the most important takeaway (from your perspective) from this course? If you had to explain to a future MIS2502 scholar what this course was about, what would you say?

I enjoy SQL, It felt like a business style of coding, where we have to remember the words like( SELECT, WHERE, CREATE, etc) If I had to explain this course, This course is an integration of business and technology. Where you use programs like mySQL, Rstudio, and infographics to make use to data.

• With the association rule we can use it in many different businesses. With the popularity of cellular phones, customers are using many different accessories. A business can utilize this feature by identifying the type of phone that is purchased and the accessories that were purchased with it. As an example if an Iphone user has purchased a specific case or an outer box we can identify the pair or association. With online purchase becoming more popular, when a customer adds the Iphone to the check out cart, we can show the other products in a side menu. Maybe when a White phone is purchased, a white outer box is associated so we will show a picture of the white outer box to entice the buy as many of us online shoppers are familiar with.

• 2. My biggest takeaway from this course is that there are easy ways in which you can read and analyze large amounts of data. Systems like R and MySQL make it easy to get the information you need and fast, you just have to know how to use them.

• My most important takeaway from this course is a working knowledge of how to write SQL queries. In my past internship experience, I had to pull data using SQL, but was always provided the query to use. I viewed the software as something very complicated, which I would never have a good understanding of. This class allowed me to understand how easy it is to write a functioning SQL query, which will be useful for my career going forward. Additionally, I would explain to a future MIS2502 scholar that this course provides a good sampling of the type of challenges and work load that will be a part of the major/minor going forward.

• The most important takeaway from this course is the potential applications of SQL and excel to solve real-world business problems. By finding ways to utilize SQL and excel to analyze and evaluate data, students have the opportunity to use their insight to provide real benefits to the business world. If i had to tell a future scholar what this course was about, I would say finding effective ways to utilize cutting edge software to provide information to decision makers in businesses as a method to continuously improve business operations. The course utilizes R-studio, excel, and MySQLWorkbench to expose students to software they can use to add value to any organization that possesses a database.

• Disney’s new MagicBands, which are Bracelets that are rubberized, waterproof, and emblazoned with Mickey’s iconic silhouette, use RFID technology and a smartphone app that replace room keys, park tickets, FastPasses and credit cards. Disney World can then use this information and data, in conjunction with association rules, to maximize their profits and guest’s experience. Since the bands track purchasing history Disney can see which souvenirs are purchased based on family composition, weather, and prior purchases. Disney can then use this data to stock stores, arrange the locations of shops within the park, and advertise directly to their desired audience. Since the bands track the location of guests within the park Disney can see which rides are the busiest, the path with which guests traverse the park, and where guests go during bad weather. Disney can then use this data to direct guests to less busy parts of the park to minimize time spent in line and maximize money spent, strategically place cast members to herd guests to more profitable sections of the park, find lost children, and stock items that are popularly bought during bad weather.

• The most important takeaway from this course is the sql series and the use of excel to solve real life data analytic problems. In the real world, we now live in a cyber society with almost all business’ running somehow via internet/electronically. This course allowed me to understand what problems could be solved using data analytic making business measure more convenient and more reliable. These kinds of information could then possibly assist business decision makers make better choices for the company..To a mis2502 scholar i would say that this course provides you a general overview of work that will be pursued in the corporate world.

• The most important thing that I will take away from this course is the ability to analytically look at data in different ways. Coming into this course I never realize all of the techniques and tools that could be used to learn things from large sets of data.

If I had to explain this course to a future student I would probably tell them that it is very data driven and that they will be learning about softwares and conceptual techniques that will help them deal with data.

• I believe the most important takeaway from this course is that you need to be able to adapt to different questions and problems. For example you will have to utilize many different programs such as SQL, excel, and R which can be used to solve different analytical and numeric questions. These questions can then be used to solve different real life business applications which would benefit the scholar as well as using these tools to solve different questions in other areas of study such as economics, sociology, etc. Association rules would also help us when you are trying to figure out these business questions such as how to decide what products or colors of different products are put next to each other.

• I think that the most important takeaway from this course was getting experience with the software we used. Learning SQL and R studio was helpful, because I knew nothing about those topics coming in to the course. Getting the experience of working with MySQL and R studio was an important part of this class.

• I believe the most important takeaway from this course is using the applications SQL, EXCEL, & R. By learning all of these programs; I think it will help me tremendously in the future since it develops alot of hard-skills that I need to know when I get into the work force. However, I also think some of the powerpoints that involved ETL and even the diagram we did at the start of the semester was helpful since it gave me an idea about what databases are about. Overall, my takeaway from the class is that all the applications that we learned are valuable knowledge that every student in MIS would need leaving college to join the corporate world.

• My biggest takeaway from this course is the hands on experience with SQL and R, these have helped so much when analyzing big sets of data and can be used in many of the jobs I see myself working in the future. If I had the chance to talk to a future scholar about this class I would say it uses new technology to find value in data, something that students can use to add value to their future organization.

• I would like to go more detail about the “formula sheet” like the last exam. Give more structured language, which help us to remember what we learn. I also want to know more math knowledge which will appear on the exam.

• 3.Our review for the final exam is during class on December 4. What question about the material we’ve covered so far would you like to discuss during the review?
    For the exam review, I would like to discuss confidence, lift, and clustering. I want to complete examples of calculating confidence and interpreting the results. In addition, I want to have a better understanding how to calculate lift. Furthermore, I wan to understand how to evaluate K means using SSE.

• Question 1:
    For the association rules, we can see it in a lot of businesses. With the online shopping developed, more and more people choose to buy items online.
    For example, if you buy the cat food on Amazon, it will recommend some associated products for you, such as cat litter, cat clothes, and cat cage, which can also provide combined discount price.
    For the business, Amazon needs to collect the data such as the price, type of the product, and the order history of the customer.Base on the data, it could recommend associated product for customer.

• I think the biggest takeaway from the class would have to be the concepts of SQL and R. These programs can help open the door to a better understanding of data you may come across. It is something you will see in the near future and will be especially resourceful and smart for next semester’s class to pay attention and understand, not just how it works, but what it means to your data.

• I would like to go over in more detail about the r assignment with clustering. Specifically, how to analyze the data better and the advantages and disadvantages of different cluster sizes.

• I think the most important takeaway from this course was coming to the realization of how many different ways data can be analyzed and how important all of it is together. I think that the world is now dependent on these systems and learning not only how to use, but how each one of the applications operates is imperative. SQL and r were tough for me to grasp but I had no understanding of what they were about until this course. I would say that learning how to write and understand code was also a very important takeaway. I would explain to a future MIS 2502 scholar that this course briefly dives in to a variety of “in depth” material and that they would learn the beginning stages to a bunch of important subjects within data analytics.

• I would like to go over practice questions that are similar to questions on the exam. I like to get a feel for the structure of the exam, so I know how to better prepare myself. I think that reviewing a final from last year would be beneficial in helping understand the layout. More practice in class exercise examples with solutions would also be helpful.

• The most important takeaway that I had from this course was our in depth learning and experience using SQL and R studio. I found SQL particularly helpful because I found it fairly easy to follow and it was very beneficial when I had to use SQL with PHP in MIS 3501. If a future scholar were to ask me about this class, I would tell them that it can be fast paced and sometimes difficult, however, if you do the exercises and have patience in figuring the problems out, the material is very beneficial.

• The most important take-away from the course was the hands-on experience with R and SQL. Most of the job postings I see on fox net, require people to be familiar with SQL and R in order for them to do their job. So knowing these programs is key to being successful in the workplace. Advice I would leave with a future MIS 2502 student would be to be familiar “certified in these programs. While you aren’t technically certified for these programs, you are familiar enough with these programs that you can put it on your resume and it will help you get a job in the future.

• Our review for the final exam is during class on December 4. What question about the material we’ve covered so far would you like to discuss during the review?

I would like to discuss about R more because it seemed to me really complicating and not easy to understand. Also, the data cube and descriptive statistic. I would suggest that we should focus more on dimensional data modelling than relational in the review. We can do a little bit review of the first few parts in the semester, so that we get a refresher of the previous topics.

• I think the most important take away from this class was how you could use concepts taught in class in real world situations. For example SQL, clustering, and association rules are all useful when faced with an abundance of data and through assignments and weekly questions we could see them put to use to answer business problems.

• The most important thing that I have taken from this course was SQL and R. Prior to this course, I had absolutely no experience with either and it was good to become immersed in the programs. I know that I will use both programs in my my future and 2502 was a good first step of learning the programs. I enjoyed SQL most because I thought the commands were practical which I thought was helpful.

The most important takeaway from this course was learning about how to design database systems using tools such as MySQL. I was able to understand an analytical approach of solving business problems. I learned how to code on Rstudio and be able to create data in a clear visual way. I would explain to a future MIS2502 scholar that this course is about solving business problems using MIS tools and creating different data visuals to present your data.

• The most important takeaway from the course for me was the exposure to R and MySQL. This is something that I know will be very beneficial to me in my professional life. It is important that a future MIS2502 student understands the importance of learning these from start to finish and working through the assignments fully each time. It is the best way to get a true understanding of the programs.

• The part of class that I think was the best takeaway was the representing and graphing data portion because, I know that whatever career path I choose I will have to be interpreting and depicting that data. If I was explaining what MIS2502 was about I would say it is all about data. Creating it, sorting it, and depicting it. This data can be used in a variety of ways to help a company improve its business.

• For me the most important thing to take away from this class is the usefulness of data that i learned throughout his class. Before I didn’t know why data was so important and the different ways of processing it. I found SQL very interesting in that it is the language for data retrieval and submission into the database. And how to make sense of it all is what i enjoyed most. I would tell my future scholar that you have to prepared to analysis data in a different way and learn how to use it in real world examples.

• While not exactly a review, I would like to know how does would questions from R be like? Will we have to write statements or will it be more of what a statement means, the data it produce or analyzing a data produced from R.

• My greatest takeaway from MIS 2502 is SQL and R-Studio. Since I didn’t have any prior experience with either program, I gained a lot of useful information from both programs. I would tell future students who will take MIS 2502 to enjoy the class and the assignments. It does come off as a lot of work but it becomes natural after the first few weeks.

• I would like to go over practice questions that are similar to questions on the exam. Because we cannot use computer during Exam, the questions format should be totally different with assignment. I would like to go into more detail of the R . One specific detail I would like to go over is how to tell if something is statistically significant and how to use that information in a business decision. Also, I would like to better understand how this relates to association data mining.

• 1. A business question that could be answered using the association rule would be finding the likelihood that based on a certain product purchase what are the chances the consumers purchases other products that complement or relate to the first product. For example, the store manager or whoever would collect data of each item sold through a POS system. Through this collection of data they could figure out what items relate to each other and they could market products with the relative products in mind.