Please fill in the Min-Semester Course Feedback Form as I mentioned last week. The purpose of this form is to gather feedback on your course learning experience so far. Based on this I will improve this course, how it is taught, and therefore help you improve your learning. Please be constructive and courteous in your responses. Thanks!
Check out the survey link: https://goo.gl/forms/qE5PymMgzrxRwQi62
- Monday (10/15) Principles of Data Visualization
- Wednesday (10/17) ICA #6.1: Data Visualization Principles
- Friday (10/19) ICA #6.2: Creating Infographics
- Assignment #4 (ETL and Pivot Tables in Excel): Due Wednesday 10/17, 11:59 pm
Deadline: Wednesday, 10/17/2018, at 11:59 pm.
- The assignment instruction is posted on the Assignment Page of the Community site (link).
- Complete and submit the assignment as an Excel document (the completed ETL Workbook.xlsx) to the Canvas.
- There is no answer sheet for this assignment.
- If you do not follow the instructions, your assignment will be counted late.
- Late Assignment policy: All assignments will be assessed a 50% penalty (subtracted from that assignment’s score) for the first day (i.e. 24 hours) they are late. No credit will be given for assignments turned in more than 24 hours past the deadline.
- Work needs to be done individually.
- Monday (10/8) Exam 1
- Wednesday (10/10) Dimensional Data Modeling Overview
- Friday (10/12) ICA #5: Pivot Tables in Excel
- Assignment #3 (SQL#2): Due Wednesday 10/10, 11:59 pm
Resources for Exam #1
- Monday (10/1) Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) (Slides Link)
- Wednesday (10/3) ICA #4 – ETL – Excel Basics (Instructions Link)
- Friday (10/5) Review for Exam 1 (Study Guide Link)
- Bonus Assignment [Optional]: Due Monday (10/1), 11:59 pm
The group project starts from Monday, 10/1/18.
- You are going to analyze a data set from the Temple Analytics Challenge (Link) and to visualize your findings.
- You should work in a team of 2 to 4 members.
- Members of the same team will receive the same grade.
Due: Wednesday, 10/31/2018, 11:59 pm
Check more information here.
Check out the following for the group project.
If you do have technical issues (constant error reports, no results grid, etc.), do the following,
- Finish writing all queries and save them in a SQL or document (.docx, .txt, …) file before actually running them. You will save time and energy.
- Check again your code thoroughly.
- Common mistakes are typos, wrong spacings, and inappropriate punctuation marks (“, ”, (), , etc. ). Check correct examples for SQL syntax in the lecture slides.
- Type but not copy queries from other sources as there may be subtle differences in formatting.
- Read the error report carefully and see what’s wrong.
- If it is an unsolvable problem due to the idiosyncratic nature of your computer, operating system, version of MySQL, try another computer, you can (1) download and use MySQL Workbench in a different computer at the school’s computer lab, or (2) borrow and use your friend’s or classmate’s computer if they do not have problems.
For assignment #2, the grading rule is the following,
- Points (i.e., 5 points, 10 points, 15 points) vary across questions.
- Full points for each question will be given if your SQL statement is COMPLETELY correct. No point even if there is a small mistake.
- 20% off for each question if the SQL statement is correct, but the results/answer from MySQL Workbench is missing or incorrect.
BTW, I will not write you a checklist of all possible SQL statements this time for Assignment #2.
- Overview lecture slides, ICAs, and course captures (Cavas->Modules).
- Come to my office hour tomorrow 12:30-1:30 pm at Alter 604F if you have any question.
I will hold an additional office hour on Friday, 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm.
- Note the location is Alter 604F (a breakout room).
- Please drop by if you have any questions about SQL queries, or Assignment #2.
BTW, Assignment #2 is due Friday before class by 3:00 pm.
Submission deadlines for ICA #2.2 and Assignment #2 are extended.
See the following NEW due dates and times:
ICA #2.2: Wednesday, 9/26/18, 6:50 pm.
Assignment #2: Friday, 9/28/18, 3:00 pm (before the class).
- Monday (9/24) ICA #2.2 – Working with SQL, part 1 (Retrieving information from the database)
- Wednesday (9/26) Creating and updating the database (SQL CREATE, DROP, ALTER, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE)
- Friday (9/28) ICA #3 – Working with SQL, part 2 (Creating and updating the database)
- Assignment #2: Due Wednesday (9/26), 11:59 pm
- Bonus Assignment [optional]: Due next Monday (10/1), 11:59 pm
- Monday (9/24): Speakman 201F, 3:50-4:50 pm
- Tuesday (9/25): Speakman 209, 11 am-2 pm (hold by ITA Nathaly).
- Wednesday (9/26): Speakman 201F, 3:50-4:50 pm
- Friday (9/28): Alter 604F, 12:30-1:30 pm