MIS2502 Featured Items

The Points/Extra Credit Assignment

Here are the instructions for the optional assignment. It is worth "portfolio points" for MIS Majors and extra credit for everyone. The due date is May 1, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Since this is extra credit and optional, no late assignments will be accepted under any circumstances!

Read More

Week 1 Question: Due January 26

Answer one of the following questions as a comment on this post.

Submit your contribution by Thursday, January 26. It should be insightful (don’t just repeat back facts from the class), but it doesn’t need to be more than a few sentences. Most of all, I want to know what you think!

1. What do you think is more important to an organization: data or information (don’t say “both” – choose one!!)? Explain why.
  2. Give an example in your own experience where you saw data turned into information. For example (so you can’t use this one!), we discussed how Amazon takes individual purchases (data) makes suggestions about what you might want to buy (information).

47 Responses to “Week 1 Question: Due January 26”

• I would believe that data is more important to an organization. This is because I think that information comes within the data. In other words, the term “information” can only be presented when the data comes first.

• Ariel Johnson-Peredo:

Question 1:

I believe that information is more important then data because data is the equivalent of raw material, for instance precious stones, and other gems made from natural resources don’t become beautiful or valuable until they are made into jewelry. Personally, I feel information is more integral to an organization because it allows one to make inferences, draw conclusions and analyze the operations of business processes. Looking at information can allow one to analyze an organization from both a macro and micro perspective. Data, as mentioned previously, in its raw state is definitely of value to an organization but it is information that is key driver of business. At the core of business is information that allows individuals to manage, delegate and make “good” business decisions that can positively impact an organization.

• Stephen Johnson:

To answer question #1, I would have to say that information is more important to an organization. The reason being is because, data is meaningless without interpretation. You can gather a numerous amount of data, but if you never come to the conclusion of how the data pertains to your company it is useless.

• #1
    Data alone is indefinite. It only shows processes, transactions, records, etc., happening in real time. On the other hand, information gives businesses the knowledge needed to make an intelligent decisions based on accurate and relevant data. In choosing one, it will be data because the records can represent some sort of results a company might be looking for and besides, without data we do not have information. Data is first then is information.

• Paul Murray:

1. Though both data and information are important factors for success in the business, I would have to say that information is more important than data. Data is the building blocks to form understanding but if the person trying to analyze the data is incompetent than no matter how much data there actually is it would look like a bunch of nothing to the observer. Therefore, if the observer can look at the data and form information pertinent to the business, they may be able to make greater decisions based off of the data.

• Daniel Chang:

An experience I had with data turning into information was when I created my e-portfolio. Using Google Analytics, I noticed that the most traffic in my page was in my “Hobbies & Interests” page. I used this data and made it into useful information. I began to place similar links and videos from my high trafficked page on each page to create exposure to my entire portfolio. Using data and turning it into information was a great experience that helped me gain much more views.

• Kacper Rams:

Question #1
    I believe that the information is more important that data. Unorganized data has no meaning to company and cannot by properly used due to numerous of single transactions or events that are not connected to each other. Information bring more value to the company because it is based on interpreted data, which then can
    be use to make decisions. Additionally information has a meaning in business, therefore it is much easier to use and can and give better overview about a particular event as a whole.

• 1) I believe that data is more important to an organization. Since information is built on the manipulation of data entered by the organization, the more the data is accurate, the more the information is helpful and beneficial to an organization’s success. In addition, data can be manipulated in many different ways, generating different types of information. This means that if an organization has the right skills to know how to use its own data in an intelligent way, the information that will be created would be a key to a more successful path.

• Moses Kim:

#2
    One example where data is turned into data is at Temple University. In the spring semester, Temple surveys all the students to find out how many students are taking summer classes and if so which ones. They use this data to decide which classes need to be offered in the summer. The more students that state that they are going to take a specific class, the more sections they offer in the summer. This ensures that Temple does not waste money by offering too many classes that will not be filled.

• Data is the driver of information, without it, is complicated to get information. For instance, a lot of retail stores usually ask for your zip code. They do this in order to get data of where their most valuable customers are from. In that way the stores can use all the data as information to target these customers, and have a better understanding of where is more profitable to advertise or to offer promotions.

• Chris Catagnus:

#1.
    Although Data is the source of information and is necessary to derive anything of use, the information gained from the data is more important to organization. I believe data is very important to certain individuals who directly deal with it but for the organization as a whole information is crucial for making decisions in all key processes within a business.

• #1. I believe that information is more important to an organization. Data is simply raw facts that is interpreted to create information. Information is then used to make decisions about shaping and running the business. Data alone is not useful; the information that it uncovers is what is important.

• Question #2
    At the end of each semester, the school requires all students to fill out evaluation forms for their professors. The students’ feedback is in real time and unorganized raw facts. Then, all departments gather those facts, perform an analysis, and transform them into meaningful information which is an important part of the historical database for the school. This information can be used to adjust future courses and guide faculty, therefore improving the quality of education. Actually, it is the process that turns data into information.

• Freddie Saporito:

Question 1

I believe that data is more important to business’s because without data there can be no information for the companies to use to help there business. The data that companies collect is most important to a company because it is the basis on which all the decisions for upper management will be made. It is like building a house with no foundation the house will not be structurally sound and in time will collapse. Data is the building blocks for which a company builds itself on.

• Magen Sheeran:

Contrary to popular belief, I think data is more important than information. Many think data is useless and has no meaning, but without it an individual or company would have nothing to uncover or convert into meaning. When a company gathers strong solid data, they have the ability to manipulate that data and make better inferences based off of their findings. Without useful data, companies would not have useful information and essentially would make poor decisions that would significantly impact their business. Personal experience where I myself have collected data and turned it into information is when I chose my professors. Rate my professor is a very useful website in selecting a good professor which is sometimes pertinent to your overall performance in the class. Researching all the professor feedback helps me to eventually make a decision as to which section of the class I will select.

• Stephen D. Cullen:

Question 1

I believe that data is more important to an organization because if you don’t have the data then there is nothing that you can build your information on. For a company to really work well and be well oiled machine in terms of financially and logistically they need to know what they are doing right and also what they are doing wrong. To get to those points they are going to need information to fix or enhance those things, to get the information they need to go out and do the physical act of collecting it, data to most organization should be almost the building blocks to help them grow and achieve.

• Brian Gibbs:

Question #1: I think data is more important than information, simply because information is derived from data. An organization can collect all the data they want, but it is still only raw information. In order for it to mean something to them, they must extract some information from the data, and it is that information to them that is useful. Ignoring the fact that neither really has a purpose without the other, information is more important to an organization.

• Alexander Schwartz:

Question #1

I believe that information is much more important to an organization than data. The reason is because data is simply discrete, unorganized facts that have no meaning. An organization can collect countless amounts of data, but if the data is never interpreted to have any meaning then it is useless. By transforming data into information, all of those unorganized facts can uncover trends and help perform analysis. The information discovered through the data is what is truly valuable, because information can help an organization make better decisions.

• Daniel Van Norton:

Question 1

I believe that information is more important to an organization. Data consist of raw facts and transactions that are unorganized. Organizations would not be able to understand this material unless it was presented in the correct way. In order to have a successful organization you must have proper and reliable information for management to follow. With unorganized material an organization would not be able to function.

• Information is by far the much more useful tool to utilize. Data is random and useless due to it’s inability to produce any real meaning on it’s own. While on the other hand, information has already been interpreted and is a useful tool, which can be used at the disposal of the user.

A good example of information being utilized to it’s potential is Netflix. Netflix uses the information given to suggests movies of similar interests or genres to it’s user. The user can continue to browse through the list of suggestions to make viewing choices much easier than before.

• Tessa West:

Question #2
    I have seen data turned into information in my every day training. My coach times each interval of our workout and then takes our weekly performance times to create our workout for the next week. He will also adjust the workout based on the times we have produced in the completed workouts. If it wasn’t for the recordings of the data (times) he would not be able to make an inference or observation that would improve our times throughout our season; we will have a stagnant season.

• Anthony Pody:

1. I believe that data is certainly more important that information, because data gives you virtually infinite possibilities to create information. A piece of information on the other hand is just simply that one piece of information; no more conclusions can be drawn or derived. Data can create unlimited paths to find a great deal of information, but information is finite and cannot create anymore information.

• Question #1

I believe that information is more important to an organization. Although information is derived from data an organization will not be using data to make important decisions. Organizations can utilize information better than data because information can be much easier to understand and apply to decision making. It may be more difficult for organizations to interpret data which is why the information that is derived from data can be much more beneficial to an organization.

• #1
    Data is more important to an organization than information. The quality and quantity of the data that an organization accumulates affects how helpful the information will be. In my opinion, this puts data at a higher importancy level because the information derived from it will only be as good as the data that was provided to make those interpretations.

• Question 2:
    One instance where data is turned into information involves supermarket checkout cashiers. Often, when customers have club/store cards, the registers record all of the products that are being scanned/purchased. Then, the system analyzes the data and observes buying tendencies. Next, it selects products that are likely to be bought by the individual customers and prints out a number of coupons. This method is more personalized to each customer as it takes their purchases (data) and turns out suggestions/savings (information).

• Question #1
    I think information is more important to an organization than data. Data is unorganized facts that need to be processed. Data can be anything unless is organized. When data is processed, organized, or structured, data becomes information. Data is input, information is output. Information is meaningful to an organization.

• I think information is more important than data because, Data is a collection of facts, such as values or measurements. It can be numbers, words, measurements, observations or even just descriptions of things. On another hand, Information is stimuli that has meaning in some context for its receiver. When information is entered into and stored in a computer, it is generally referred to as data. After processing (such as formatting and printing), output data can again be perceived as information.
    In short When information is packaged or used for understanding or doing something, it is known as knowledge.

• Dehui Zeng:

Question #1
    Information is more important to an organization. Data records the fact. It is raw and discrete. After data is process (calculate or analyze), it became information, which is meaningful and understandable. For an organization, the information is very useful in making better decisions, solving problems and realizing an opportunity. Comparing with data, information can give more direct help to the organization.

• Information is more valuable for a company than data. The rationale for this statement is that data itself has no meaning and adds no value to the company. In addition, the collection of data does not involve hard work and analytical thinking; while the interpretation of this data, and its transformation into meaningful information requires professionalism, experience and an exceptional set of analytical skills.

• Dana L.:

1. I think that data is most important to an organization because it can be used to form so many types of information. Data is very versatile; without data, information can be vague, inconsistent, useless, or non-existent. More valuable than data, though, is someone who can interpret the data to reach a conclusion or trend.
    2. An example of turning data into information exists in outlets of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter. These mediums suggest friends or users that I may know, that I may be interested in, or that share commonalities with me.

• Answer to question # 2
    An example for where I saw data convert to information was when I worked for a furniture store. There was data for each sales rep of the sales they made daily. My job was to take the sales data and put it into excel and make graphs and come up with weekly and monthly sales numbers of the owner to see how each of their sales reps were doing in term of sales. Every time a sales rep made a sale they would fill out the daily sales form containing information on name of sales rep., amount and, cash or credit sale, and description of item. At end of each week and month I put those numbers into the computer and made graphs and totaled the amount value for the owner to see.

• Nicholas Nendel:

#2
    An example of when I saw data turned into information was when I kept track of data when i was working out. I recorded data of the weight of resistance and repetitions for individual exercises. This data was turned into information when I used the data to help me know how much I should lift the next time so that I didn’t try to lift to much and knew what I needed to do to improve.

• Cui Zhong:

#1) I believe that data is more important to an organization. Data is a collection of facts and statistics used for reference or analysis. It is the raw material of information and knowledge. Data are processed to be useful, it become information. However, data can be manipulated in many different ways, how to process and use depend on user. It can have different combinations and usages. Users can create information they need by data. Therefore, I think data is more important.

• Question #1

I think information is more important than data. Data means nothing without interpretation. A successful business must be able to analyzed the data and process it into valuable information that can be used to grow and sustain the organization

• Question #1
    Data, in a meaningful form, is information. Data captured within Information is processed and refined to create relevant and functional knowledge which can be shared with other people to mold perception or provide instruction. Yes, information is more valuable than raw data; however, data is the core of this process and, if manipulated correctly, can generate a vast array of information. Information derived from data is only as valuable and accurate as the data collected.

• Stacy Prather:

I would think data would be more important because that is where the company can base their information from and compare it to the previous data, update to most current or accurate data, etc. Also by gathering new data from your perspective clients that may want to do business with the company/organization.
    2. Give an example in your own experience where you saw data turned into information. For example (so you can’t use this one!), we discussed how Amazon takes individual purchases (data) makes suggestions about what you might want to buy (information).
    Credit Card Companies will use people data by selling useful information or distributing the most current updated information about your most recent transactions or credit history so people can forward you additional selling/product information to increase their business revenue.

• Question #1

In my opinion I believe that both data and information are very important to a business. It’s like asking which is more important the chicken or the egg? One would not be worth anything without the other. But since I have to pick one to answer the question, It would have to be that information is more important than data, because there is actual value to the data when it turns to information. Data would be useless unless it meant something. Its like having a bunch of numbers but you have no idea what it means and what to do with it. The only fall back about my argument would be that there would be no information without data.

• Lauren Gallant:

2) I work at the Temple Admissions Call Center and every night we collect data from students. It ranges from phone numbers and majors to other universities students may prefer. While the actual student callers don’t convert the data to information, Temple does. The data we collect is used by the admissions office and those responsible for marketing Temple to attract at recruit students. The data we collect gives Temple information on which schools it’s competing with and the typical profile of a prospective student. It enables Temple to see what areas of the country students are coming from and whether that is increasing because of the university’s advertising or other influences. Just like Amazon collects data on customers, Temple collects data and converts it into information which allows the university to understand how they can become more efficient.

• I believe data is more important to an organization than information. By only having information, there is no way to “backspace” to view the raw numbers behind that information once it is derived and the transformation from facts to meaning is complete. Data can always be updated and new information can develop. However, if new information is needed to enhance business operations, data must again be collected and then be transformed into information. Thus, data is the most useful tool because it eliminates the extra step of gathering the data. This in turn saves time and money which is a fundamental goal of any business.

• Cierra Cole:

Question #1

In my opinion I feel that data is more important than information, but I think that an organization would feel that information is more important through their eyes. I say information is more important to an organization because it provides them with facts that are necessary in improvement of their organization. Information makes decision making for an organization simpler because the facts are perfectly laid out for the organization to take action in what it is they are trying to improve, without the hassle of collecting data and interpreting it into accurate information.

• Cate Zimmerman:

Information is more valuable for an organization in comparison to its earlier form, data. Information is essentially data that has been enriched with meaning and understanding. We see information being valuable such as the way that Border’s sold its customer information to Barnes and Noble when it went bankrupt as well as other companies that have mimicked this action. Information can be manipulated to be understood and answer questions or solve problems for that organization.

• Sarah Tuchinsky:

Question #1: I believe that information is more important to an organization. Companies can have as much data as they need, but if they cannnot interpret this data, then it is useless. Information helps organizations to identify patterns and be able to explain things. An example would be how an accountant writes down hundreds of numbers, but if these numbers mean nothing, they are useless.

• Devin Geinosky:

Question 2
    As a Walmart employee two summers ago I continually saw data turned into information. Data is collected for every single purchase. The registers are hooked up to the computer system which finds current trends in purchases. The personal Telezons that all managers carried displayed this information about purchase trends, and then the manager would make end-caps and front displays of popular products so that costumers would have an easier time finding these products.

• scott pawlowski:

I believe data will always triumph over information due to the fact that information is bred from the data retrieved from an organization. While data may just be a set of numbers, it is those numbers that are crucial to determining what kind of information we want to get out of that data. While working at a local resturaunt, we analyzed data of which entrees sold the most and which didn’t do so well. When creating a new menu, we would combine elements of the highly sought entrees into new dishes to give people more of what they loved and feature the less sought dishes as weekly specials or would taken out completely.

• Devin Geinosky:

“Which entrees sold the most and which didn’t do so well” is information. You compiled the data for a time period to draw a conclusion. So I would have to disagree with the importance of data over information for a business. The items that one customer purchased at one date in time does not assist a business in making decisions. The business needs to look at the compiled data which is information.

• Question 1.
    I think information is more important in an organization because they are easier to understand for the employees. The data are the raw materials collected. It would be too hard to understand what they all mean unless they are converted into easy to read information. For this reason, information is more important in my opinion.