MIS2502: Data Analytics (Spring 2017)

Instructor: David Schuff, Section 003

Weekly Question #6: Complete by March 30, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on March 30, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Here is the question:

Take a look at the SpotCrime website. Type in a few zip codes to see crime statistics in different areas. Would you consider this more an example of data analytics/data mining as we’ve discussed it this week, or more like the OLAP/Pivot Table analysis we have been doing over the last week or so? Explain your reasoning.

Want extra practice with R? Try this site…

As mentioned in class, if you’re looking for an additional tutorial on R syntax, try this CodeSchool site.

It is not required that you do this, but some of you might find it helpful. Remember, all the information you need for the course is in the in-class exercises, slides, and notes. But sometimes people want something extra, and this is a pretty good interactive walkthrough.

The most relevant chapters are 1, 2, 4, and 7. However, it looks like you have to do them in order (you have to complete chapters 1 and 2 to get to chapter 3, etc.). So my suggestion would be to at least go through Chapter 1. If you find it useful, keep going!

1 2 3 5

Where and when do we meet?

Alter Hall 232
11:00 - 12:20 Tuesdays and Thursdays

Office Hours

David Schuff (instructor):
10:00-11:00, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Speakman Hall 207G and email (see my site)

Nodir Zakhidov (ITA):
Wednesday: 1:00-1:55
Friday: 3:00-4:00
Speakman Hall 207 and email (see his site)