MIS2502: Data Analytics (Spring 2017)

Instructor: David Schuff, Section 003

Extra Topics in R (with cool examples!!!)

Here are the R script examples we discussed in class.

wordCloudR.r – This creates a colorful word cloud based on a text input file (for the example: 2502.txt).

MySQL-Example.r – This queries the moviedb schema on our class server. It will work with any MySQL account.

aRules(MySQL).r – This queries the bank table I built in my own schema (m0ws.bank). If you want to use your own schema you’ll have to build the table using a SQL script that I can provide upon request.

And here is the brief slide deck on the topic.

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 27, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 27, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Now that the course is just about over, think about what you’ve learned.

• For you, what is the most important takeaway from the course?
  • How would you explain what you’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview?

Don’t forget to complete the course evaluations by May 3!

Don’t forget to complete the online course evaluation for this class!

You can access the ESFF site here. The deadline is May 3 (well, technically May 4 at 8:00 AM, but are you really going to get up early on May 4 to do it?).

It only will take you five minutes, but it is important.

Some things about the course evaluations:

• Your feedback is anonymous.
  • I don’t get the results until after the semester is completely over.
  • I really look at the feedback and use it to make changes for future semesters.

Weekly Question #9: Complete by April 20, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 20, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class! If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Name and describe a business question that you could answer using clustering. What data would you collect to perform the analysis? Don’t use an example we’ve covered in class.

1 2 3 5

Where and when do we meet?

Alter Hall 232
11:00 - 12:20 Tuesdays and Thursdays

Office Hours

David Schuff (instructor):
10:00-11:00, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Speakman Hall 207G and email (see my site)

Nodir Zakhidov (ITA):
Monday: 1:00-2:00
Wednesday: 1:00-2:00
Speakman Hall 207 and email (see his site)