Instructor: David Schuff, Section 003

Weekly Question #3: Complete by February 16, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on February 16, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

If you sign in using your AccessNet ID and password you won’t have to fill in the name, email and captcha fields when you leave your comment.

Answer this question:

Describe a situation where you could use a join to retrieve information from a set of tables. For example, if you have orders in one table and customers in another table, you’d need to join those tables to figure out which orders were placed by the customers who lived in Pennsylvania.

23 Responses to Weekly Question #3: Complete by February 16, 2017

• You could use a table join between products, companies and companies’ manufacturing plants to find out where each product was made.

• At my internship, there were tables with customer information like credit score and another table for the premium/discount received for each credit range. To know how much to charge a customer, you would need to combine these by first creating a categorical score from the actual number and then joining those categories.

• I could have to use a join in any data analysis assignment.
    For example, last semester as we I was doing the data analytics challenge on pharmaceuticals for my MIS 2101 class, I had to connect products numbers with their names which were in another table in order to identify the products and get rid of redundancies. And this can happen again whenever I will have to do some data analysis.

• Hi Ruben! Last semester I participated in the data analytical challenge as well for AmerisourceBergen. I experienced a join when I connect tables such as customers, stores, and products together in order to find which store is the most popular and has the most revenue + product sales.

• A situation where tables could be joined to retrieve information is if there were separate tables for student and college major. Joining these tables would be able to show which students were studying which majors. This would be useful information when searching for patterns in how many students belong to certain majors.

• A situation where you can use a join to retrieve information is on voters data for elections. One table contains information about the voters (name, race, gender, education, address…). The other table contains the states and districts and their voting patterns (pro-Repbulican or pro-Democrat). By using the join function, we can figure out which votes were placed by a voter in a certain district.

• This is my example for such a situation: I have a table for political data (political systems, current ruling party, etc.) in each country of the world. I have another table for each country’s economic metrics (GDP, GDI, debt, etc…). By using the join on these tables and applying necessary WHERE BY functions, I can figure out the GDP growth of each of the world’s democracies/republics or the political systems of first/third world countries.

• One situation that might require a join is if you were a company that rewarded employees for outstanding sales. If you had an employee table and an order table, you could utilize a join to find out how many orders each employee had processed. By using a join to figure out this information, you could then reward your employees accordingly.

• An example for a join of tables is doing payroll checks at a company. In one table will be employee information, and in another will be how much money was paid. When joined together you can find which employee got paid, how much was paid to them.

• An real life example for a “join” can be applied to real estate. Say one table contains information relating to the demographic living in a different areas in Philadelphia (ex. The Piazza in Northern Liberties). In the second table is information relating to the buying habits (i.e. clothes shopping, restaurant preferences, grocery preferences) of each person living in that area. The two tables, when joined table, can provide great insights into the preferences of different demographics and give investors/business owners data to build their businesses near these specific demographic groups where demand is high.

• A join would be useful when matching statistics from a sports game to a number of players. By extracting data from each game, we can track players stats for an entire season without watching all of the games for a year in a row.

• Someone would use a join for an airport database to figure out which pilot is flying which plane. So, one table could be pilots and one table could be plane. Therefore, you would join the two tables to figure out, for example, pilot ID 624, Mark, flew plane #456, a solar powered aircraft.

• An example of a join would be a product manufacturer and the store that sells the products. This would show what the store sells most/ least and what kind of products that they have.

• A join could be used at a police station. One of the tables could be about the suspect arrested and the other could be the police officers. This would allow them to find out which officers were involved in the arrest of which suspects.

• A join can be very useful in analyzing traffic to a website. For example, you could join a table of traffic which includes attributes like pageviews, time spent on site, location, etc. with a table of “channels” (the path someone takes to your site– paid search and the search terms they use, organic search, banner ads, etc). At my internship last summer, we were concerned with what search terms should we pay to advertise for on Google. In order to come up with a viable solution, we needed to join these two tables to determine which search terms were providing the most attentive traffic.

• An example of when a join could be used is when you have a large employee database and you want to see who performs a specific function. In one table it could list their job title and in another table list their name or employee ID. You could combine these two tables to see which employee does what job function.

• A join would be very useful n determining levels of performance in either sports or activities. For example with my dance team, a table with the dancers names, as well as a table with the specific dances performed, and a table determining the level of each dance can be joined in a database to determine each dancer’s overall performance level.

• At a doctor’s office a join table would be required. For example, there would be a table for clients (and their personal information) along with a table for UDS results. The client ID would be the primary key. That way with a simple query you could pull up UDS results for a particular client, or see how the doctor is doing as a whole by summing the drug positive results and comparing them to the clean number.

• A join table can be used for example when the customer checks out, we need to extract saved payment info from the customers’ payment entity.

• An example when a join could be used would be when you are looking to find the professor a student has. In the professor table you would put the professor ID and the course he or she teach. In the student table you would put the student ID and the course he or she take. You could combine these two table and find which professor a student is assigned.

• A situation in which the join function could be used is if you wanted to find the showtimes for several movies. One table would include different movie titles while another table would include different movie theaters. Using the join function would allow you to see which movies are being played at which theaters at particular times.

• An example of a join could be when you are trying to find out when and where a television show is airing. For example, one show can be airing on multiple channels on different dates. You can join a “Show” table and a “Channel” table and figure out what date and what channel(s) a particular show is airing.

• An example of join could be payment and the customer. Each customer has an id number which is associated with a payment, so the customer knows how much it has to pay.

• You can use a join in a manufacturing environment to understand which line has been producing the most defects over a period of time. You can use this information to identify which production line is in most need of correcting by identifying the highest defect rate and then being able to further justify this correction with cost data.

• An example where a join could be made is simply here at Temple where we can filter students by the major/subject they are registered for. A table of students and all their personal information can be joined with the majors offered, presenting the most and least studied subjects here. This can be used for a handful of things such as recruitment, school statistics, and departmental funding.

• A join would be handy to retrieve information from a set of tables in a situation where a scholarship administrator at a university would have to disburse funds. In order to make this happen, they may need to join together student records and financial records. For example, if they find a student who is eligible through different student related records, it will then be appropriate that the financial records could be joined to this query in order to see if they are eligible for a particular scholarship.

• A situation in which a join could be used is when trying to find the average age of customers who purchase a certain product. The name of the product would be in the product table. The customer age would be in the customer table.

• A situation where you would need a join could be when a company wants to find out what customers ordered certain products. You would have to join the customer table and product table. The customer name would be in customer and what they ordered would be in products.

• An example where a join could be used is with products and customers. One table shows the products and its details, the other table contains the customers and their specific details. You can join the two tables to find which customers bought which products and how many of them.

• A situation where you could use a join to get information from two tables is placing an order at a fast food restaurant. If you purchase both a food item and a drink item, these two tables would have to be joined in order for your order to be fulfilled. Without the join, you would only be able to purchase either the drink or the food item.

• An example of using a join to retrieve information would be during my part time job at Admissions office at Temple University. I get to manage a table of applications and applicants. I always have to join these tables in order to evaluate each applicants and move the admissions process forward.

• An example where a join could be used is with a housing office. To retrieve information about tenants and units, a join would be required between the two tables. For example, if you wanted to see the names of the tenants who lived in a 3 bedroom apartment, you would need to join the tables.

• An example of a join could be shown in the relationship between a companies warehouse and its stores. You would need to join these products in order to figure out which shipments leaving your warehouse need to go to which store.

• A situation where you could use a join to retrieve information from a set of tables is if you are trying to determine what products customers are purchasing the most. The customers table and products table would have to join to be able to get this information.

• At my current job at Stockton Warehouse, we use tables to retrieve data from the customer. It begins with the customers own Rewards card which has a number of its own. If they do not have have their Rewards card there are attributes such as name, number, or address we could use to look it up. With the rewards card we are able to see an array of data about the customer such as what they purchased, where they purchased it, last purchase, how many points they have, how often they visit, and their points in total.

• A situation where a join could be used is in a Spotify music library with Artist, Album, and Song tables. A join could be used to see the the artists that are featured on a specific album or a specific song.

• An example of where one could join tables is with a database designed to keep track of multinational defense information. For example, a database might contain various situation reports associated with specific activity (SAF, IED, demonstrations, etc.). If you wanted to identify all of the kidnappings in an area filed from one specific country, you would need to join the data tables of the reports themselves to the specific report activity and back to the specific country ID (the country of origin).

• An an example of a join could be when you work for a car repair shop. One table could have the customers information that could be joined with the repair man who worked on the car. This would identify who worked on the customers car, if a problem ever a rises they can track who was responsible for fixing the repairs.

• you could use join tables in a situation where you wanted to track the amount of students swiping in and out of the gym. you would need to join Student table and the IBC_gym table.

• Like the previous classmates said last semester there was the data analytic challenge, and my group and I had to join customers to the products. There was different data for the product like the product number, how much was bought, and we used this to see which of the top ten products were the top selling in a small industry. Now having more information about how to use data from this class the assignment last semester would have been a lot easier to put together.

• A join would be necessary in a database that records employee shift information. In order to answer the question ‘what was the name, position, and salary for the employee working the 2 pm shift on Feb. 16th?’ a join should be used in the query.

• At Mercedes-Benz of Princeton I was in charge of customer satisfaction. Using a table containing customer information including their satisfaction survey ratings joined with a table containing vehicle information such as model, year, most recent service date etc. For instance , these two can be joined to find a customer with a low survey rating along with the info they were last in service for.

• An example of a join would be a company selling magazine subscriptions to customers. The way the company would uncover who is buying what magazine and what magazine is going to who, they would need to join the tables of the customer and magazine tables through a list of keys.

• An example would be trying to find the student course ID at Temple. In this scenario, we’ll have to join the table “Student” & “Course” to narrow down the tables so that we could find the expected result, which is the “Course ID for the particular student.

• A situation where a join would be when someone is trying to return an order to the online retailer. The retailer can join the customer’s ID and order ID to confirm whether or not the person actually purchased that product.

• An example where using a join would ideal is using them to find specific courses or students taking courses at Temple. One would join the tables: “Student,”Major,”ID” and classes to find what specific students take what specific classes.

• You could use a join if you have a database for your music playlists, and you have a table for songs and a table for artists, and you wanted to find the artist of the longest song.

• An exampe would be joining a customer and the order from postmates. The customer has an address and the has a delivery address. You can link them together so that the driver shows up at the right address with the food.

Leave a Reply to Leah M Jacobs Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Where and when do we meet?
Alter Hall 232
11:00 - 12:20 Tuesdays and Thursdays
Office Hours
David Schuff (instructor):
10:00-11:00, Tuesdays and Thursdays
Speakman Hall 207G and email (see my site)

Nodir Zakhidov (ITA):
Monday: 1:00-2:00
Wednesday: 1:00-2:00
Speakman Hall 207 and email (see his site)