Instructor: David Schuff, Section 003

Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 27, 2017

Leave your response as a comment on this post by the beginning of class on April 27, 2017. Remember, it only needs to be three or four sentences. For these weekly questions, I’m mainly interested in your opinions, not so much particular “facts” from the class!

Now that the course is just about over, think about what you’ve learned.

• For you, what is the most important takeaway from the course?
  • How would you explain what you’ve learned to a future employer in a job interview?

46 Responses to Weekly Question #10: Complete by April 27, 2017

• I think the most important thing I’ve learned in this course is the application of data. It has been extremely interesting to learn about the different ways data can be used and analyzed in a business place. In a job interview, I would explain to my employer how pivotal data is in the workplace and how it can be used to find the right type of customers as well as what a our existing customers may be more inclined to purchase. It’s been a great semester! I’ve definitely learned a lot of useful skills that I will apply when I enter the workplace.

• The most important takeaway from this class is the exposure to a variety of software that companies are using today and how to use those software efficiently. I would explain to a future employer that through this class, I am able to clean a database and ensure data integrity for both OLTP and OLAP database. I can also retrieve data and perform data analysis to gain insights and discover important trends through SQL and R.

• The most important takeaway for me is the usage of different software in this course. I think that I would be able to explain to a future employer how I can use these different software to perform different types of analysis for their company.

• I agree with Dianna about who vital a better understanding of these programs like SQL and Excel. When speaking with recruiters and during interviews, I am able to talk about some of the projects and experiences I have had while using these programs which are being utilized by these companies. Even if the position doesn’t require you to use these programs regularly, the knowledge gives me a leg up on others competing for this position.

• The most important thing I’ve learned in this class is a tie between the usage of pivot tables and the implementation of SQL. In order to explain these things to a future employer I would explain to him that pivot tables, while it’s more likely that he may already have a good understanding of this, work to sort many types of things into certain categories and it makes it easier to read out and find certain things. Similar things can be said about SQL, but to a higher and more complicated extent while also being able to gather more specific details and change them to appropriate it for the system.

• The most important thing I have learned from Data Analytics, is the importance of analytical tools when applied to data. For example, before this course I was never aware that I could analyze sets with thousands of pieces of information to answer a specific business question. Using R Studio, was such an incredible tool that I hope to utilize throughout my entire career. I found it amazing that we started with a base level knowledge of R as a tool, and towards the end of the semester were predicting purchasing behaviors, and all sorts of information with R. If I were to explain the things I have learned in this course to a future employer, I would note that the tools I learned how to use can answer an endless amount of business problems. I would also mention that there are constant updates, and opportunities to learn and grow with these tools that I would be excited to keep up with and apply to the organizations business problems or goals.

• The most important takeaway from this course is how powerful good data can be. All of us learning how to collect and organize data to be useful is an excellent tool. I would explain that to a potential employer at an interviewer by explaining the necessity for having complete data. Once the business has that any decision from there on can be made with the backing of information and does not have to rely 100% on gut or experience. The business can make better decisions overall with the use of good data.

• The most important takeaway I have from this class is getting to understand the logic of coding, Specifically, I learned a lot about how to use MySQL and R, which are very relevant to my major study, This class has helped me understand the basics of these two tools. However, I wish we could have more complicate and challenging projects or case study that we can work on, which we can talk more about during future interviews. Overall, I have gotten more comfortable with using data management and analytic tools.

• The three most important things I’ve learned from Data Analytics is the SQL programming tool, the RStudio application, and pivot table functions in Excel. They not only taught me how to critical think better, but they taught me how much more efficient and how much easier it can be to pull data you want from a large source. Data analytics is such a growing field in industry that talking about what I’ve learned in interviews would be so beneficial. Especially in my field, Accounting, the more you know about excel the better candidate you are for the company. I would definitely talk about how much I’ve learned when it comes to pulling and analyzing data from different sources to create a story of what the data is actually portraying. I would also ask the firm if they are doing anything with any of the programs or concepts I’ve learned about in class.

• The most important skill that I have acquired from Data Analytics this semester is a working knowledge of MySQL. In particular, learning how to implement, utilize and write SQL commands in MySQL Workbench has been very beneficial. Utilizing SQL requires knowledge of the structure of databases and schemas. I have already spoken to this knowledge of databases and MySQL in an interview setting. As a marketing major with a minor in MIS, the interviewers were impressed with my technical skill set derived from this class. I attribute the job offer in large part to the skills that I have learned in MySQl.

• The most important take away from the course is that I can analyze information using programs that I have experienced in using in this class. I also appreciate my excel class more because I can use its experience to do my work in excel in the 2501 MIS course. I would explained to a future employer that this class gradually introduced me to many programs and teach me how to use them to analyze data whether they are big or small.

• The most important takeaway from this course is that there are so many ways to look at and interpret data to find useful information. I realized that data and the information from a data set can help any company with a variety of different problems such as determining who to market to or finding out who to give a loan to. I would explain that we used analytical software such as R and Sql in order to extract meaningful information from data sets and solve business problems.

• I think the mos important concept I learned in this class is everything it takes to analyze data. You need to have a functioning database with the right level of granularity, have cleaned data, and then still you have many methods with varying levels of confidence. In an interview, I would say I know how to draw conclusions from data, while avoiding common pitfalls and can visualize them clearly.

• The most important aspect I can takeaway from this course is how vital good data is and how many ways you can go about analyzing it. I’ve learned so many analytical skills that will help me in whatever career I fall into. I’ve come to realize that having the knowledge to analyze data and understanding how to use different tools to analyze it is something most companies look for in employees. As a Marketing major with an MIS minor, I have the technical skills on my resume that have helped me stand out from other Marketing majors because of the analytical skills I can bring to the job. I can now walk into an interview and explain how RStudio can help make predictions on consumer behavior and how MySQL can extract data and give me exactly what I ask it with the right sequence.

• I agree, Andrea. This course gave me a strong foundation in understanding the multitude of uses of good data. I’m a Marketing/MIS double major, and I see endless applications for the things we did in this course. In an interview, I can easily explain how clustering can help us better serve our target market or how the structure of our databases matter. Honestly, I’m surprised there’s not an official major pairing marketing and MIS because with both skills, we are unstoppable.

• My most important takeaway from this class is gaining a more comprehensive understanding of the merits of data. Many people know data can provide objective answers, but the difficult part is deciding what is significant, what you want to look at, and what indicators are better than others. In this class we did that, and also gained skills in using R and SQL while doing it, two very practical tools for us to learn. After taking this class I feel confident in tackling any big-data business question.

• The biggest take away from this course was being able to understand and use databases in a real world setting. Being able to programs like MySQL and R scripts strengthened my skill sets as an MIS major and allowed me to use my skills for other projects both in classes or in external projects. Using real technical skills make me feel more comfortable about my readiness for a job. I would explain to an employer that I have developed the skills to use database programs and how to increase the efficiency of data analysis by using my technical skills.

• For me, the most important takeaway has to be the different softwares we used throughout the semester. RStudio to MySQL, these softwares have helped me tremendously to be where I’m at today. In a job interview, I can certainly talk about the analytical skillset I have to offer, and discuss how I’ve learned to utilize data, whether it’s analyzing or extracting.

• I absolutely agree, Kangwoon. R and SQL are very important software in the business world today and I see tremendous potential in being proficient in these data manipulation languages. In a job interview, I would also talk about the analytical skills I took away from this class, and also database design (ERD, schemas, etc.) that we learned in the first part of this course.

• The most important takeaway from this class is having knowledge in various programs. I will be able to use that knowledge for my future job. I would explain to my future employers about all the different results and information I can get from putting data into different programs.

• The most important concept I have learned from this course how much work and detail is required to have good data. I worked with loss data for cyber this past summer, and until this course I did not realize that the data I was looking at had gone through multiple processing steps before reaching me. This course gave me appreciation for the people where I worked who sat and worked on all the data to prepare it for the rest of the company to be able to analyze it easily. As a Risk Management & Insurance major with an MIS minor, I can add analytical skills to my resume. I can apply these skills to insurance by being able to analyze data, most likely loss data and drawing conclusions about the data. Also with where I worked last summer, I would be able to speak with my co-workers about their process and hold a higher level conversation about their work than I could before.

• Being a Risk Management and Insurance Major as well, I completely agree with you Danielle. I thinking adding the MIS minor is useful application in the insurance industry to understand better ways to analyze data, and make more accurate conclusions. I also did not understand how detailed the information behind data really is when working with it at a company over the summer as well.

• The most important aspect that I can take away from this course is that because there is big data, it can be difficult to sort and filter through to get the information that you want. In this course, we learned that there are tools to lessen the burden of doing this occurring, such as SQL and R. If I were to explain what I learned to a future employer, I would explain how SQL and R can be used to help sort through data and narrow our data. I would tell them that by using these tools, it can help us answer the questions that can be answered based on the data in our database.

• The most important concept I learned in class was working with MySQL to analyze data. I could explain what I have learned to a future employer by running MySQL queries that would give us information about the company at hand. I would also tell them all the functions that I learned from MySQL and how they could be used to better analyze data.

• One of the hings that I really enjoyed learning in this class is “pivot table”. Pivot tables really slice, break down data sets into mini-data sets. And as an econ major, this is really helpful because I sometimes have to write empirical papers. These papers require me to download big data sets; and being able to slide them is really helpful.
    I can tell an employer that I can manipulate data in a spreadsheet which really helps facilitate analysis, and so on.

• The most important thing I can takeaway from this class is learning how to use R, along with SQL. It made me realize how it can be used in so many ways and that it can be used to analyze extremely big data sets and also pull info out of them. I feel as if they both started the foundation of coding for me and it lets me know what future coding will be like with other programs. In a job interview with a future employer, I would describe how we used SQL and R to extract data and compare big sets of data. I would also explain how it still would be a useful tool.

• For me, the most important takeaway has been the software we worked with during the course. Both SQL and R will be useful for internship and work experiences as well as when learning other software. I would explain to an employer that I’ve worked with both SQL and R and that the functions I learned with them would help me to use whatever software they use at their company.

• To me, the most important thing that I learned in this course is how to utilize programs such as Rstudio and MySQL Workbench. Using these, I am able to retrieve, edit, delete, and add data to databases, and analyze large datasets using the endless plugins that Rstudio possesses. In a job interview, I would explain how i’m able to manage and construct databases, as well as provide feedback on how to organize data more efficiently. Additionally, I would discuss how I am able to draw conclusions from data.

• I think that the biggest take away from this course was learning MySQL and R, which are very relevant in a lot of companies. I would describe this course to a possible employer by saying we had assignments that asked us to do specific things (specifically in MySQL), and we had to figure out how to do it based off of our knowledge of the software.

• This course gave me exposure to in-demand business tools like R and mySQL to analyze data efficiently. Beyond the software exposure, I think the biggest takeaway from this course is learning how to understand at and interpret data. Learning strategies to analyze and interpret the data is is critical to drawing conclusions that have real meaning and solving business problems.

• The most important takeaway for me is practicing pivot tables. I learned how to use pivot tables at my internship last summer and it took a little time to get used to it. Now after even more practice in this class I feel that I know how to use them pretty well. I would tell a future employer that I am good with pivot tables, which will be useful to them because companies store so much data it is ridiculous and they need a quick way to break down the numbers in a compact table.

• I think the most important thing I’ve learned in this course is the use right information at right time. It has been to a great degree fascinating to find out about the diverse ways information can be utilized and investigated in a business put. In a prospective employee meet-up, I would disclose to my boss how critical information is in the work environment and how it can be utilized to locate the correct kind of clients and what an our current clients might be more disposed to buy.

• The most important takeaway for me was learning about SQL and R. While understanding that data can be analyzed in different ways is important and cool, SQL is something that I could use as a hands-on skill. To a future employer, I would explain how again I learned the basics of SQL and dabbled a bit in R, but also went into detail about analyzing data via ERD, Pivot Tables, Clustering, and Data mining.

• The key takeaway from this course is the foundation in database and analytical tools (MySQL, R and its libraries, Pivot Tables in Excel) which can be built upon in other classes and in self-study. I feel much greater confidence and involvement with the MIS field, and can imagine myself exploring these tools and take on increasingly complicated problems requiring data analytics. The employers I may talk to today is not going to be impressed, but my future knowledge might just make them so.

• For me, the most important takeaway from the course is the implementation and practice of SQL Database software as well as RStudio Software. A colleague of mine who works for an engineering company told me that those applications are very relevant to Top companies today and the experience will definitely ensure me future success in the job market. As much as the learning process was a struggle in the course, I thoroughly enjoyed learning how important Data is in everyday life and how it can be useful to a wide range of companies. For a job interview, I would explain how we used raw data set examples and were given tasks using the software to turn those data sets into vital information that’s easier to understand.

• The most important takeaway from this course is my ability to work with MySQL Workbench and R Studio. This course helped me to develop a strong understanding as to how write, manipulate, and implement SQL commands. In addition, it has provided me with a strong base understanding of how work with R Studio. As a Marketing major I have worked in other programs to perform customer data analysis, and I was thrilled to find a program that is so flexible in its functionality. Example of the analysis I have performed using RStudio are descriptive statistics, decision tree modeling, clustering, and association rule mining. I am eager to apply this knowledge to my work and gain a deeper understanding consumers to better predict behavior .

• The biggest thing I can take away from this course is the understanding of how softwares complement each other in overall analysis and how these programs all perform different functions related to large databases. To a prospective employer, I would say that the class helped to develop my understanding of data not only as it applies to analysis, but also as it applies to administration of that data. Between the databases we interacted with using MySQL and running codes in RStudio, I feel confident in my ability to draw accurate conclusions given a huge dataset.

• In my opinion, the biggest takeaway from this course was learning about data science and the endless possibilities of business functions you can perform. I really enjoyed learning R because the open source platform allows everyone to share in the breadth of knowledge. I’ve previously explained this course in an interview as a data analytics course that focuses on the conceptual business decisions, versus the hard/technical skills, but still offers familiarity with MySQL and R.

• The most important takeaway is the working knowledge of a variety of software used in the real world to gather, store, retrieve, and analyze data. I would describe my learnings as a well rounded understanding of data manipulation and analysis. I have the ability to create, alter, and organize data efficiently with the use of SQL and the ability to analyze the outputs the data is giving us with the use of R and R studios.

• In my opinion the biggest takeaway from this course was the use of coding software in day to day business operations. Previously I never realized what goes on behind the scenes of businesses when they’re making important decisions based off of customer data. That’s also another point, it’s very clear to me now that customer data is paramount in succeeding in today’s marketplace, with the industry continuously evolving it leaves little room for error and very high expectation from the consumer to keep up with trends and the most up-to-date info out of competitors. If I was asked what this class taught me by an employer in an interview I would say I learned how to compute data analysis through use of coding software such as R and MySQL in order to create reliable statistics and execute business decisions with the best forecasting possible.

• The most important thing I have learned in this course is the basics of SQL and R. In a job interview, I would explain to a future employer that I have learned how to conduct queries in a database and also edit information inside a database. In regards to R, I would explain to an employer that I have been able to learn skills that would allow me to analyze large sets of data that would help a company make business decisions.

• The SQL coding skills and database management skills, R studio, these application skills really do improve my MIS skills. (Interview) For the data analytics course, i learned the fundamental database coding skills which allow me to extract data in an efficient approach. Moreover, with the application such as R and Excel, I am able to gain insight from the consumer, the consumer’s’ purchasing habits, the correlation between one product and another. Best part is that I could use the data analytics skills to facilitate plenty of analysis, that’s beyond our imagination!

• I think the most important thing I’ve taken away from Data Analytics is definitely working with sequel workbench. I think learning how to compose a sequel statement is essential, especially being an MIS minor. In a future job interview, I would tell the employer that that in this course I have learned how to create data models, analyze data and manage a database system.

• The most important takeaway for me was learning the different techniques, tools and best practices used in data analytics. I think that it’s important for students to gain as much access as possible to tools like SQL, R-Studio and Excel. I found it really interesting to learn that many companies use the same tools that we learned in class and that many of the displays that we see everyday like word clouds can be made in R. To a future employer, I would explain the different analysis that we’ve conducted with association mining and clusters. I think that these types of models and analyses are some of the most important ones in my field.

• To me, the most important thing to take away from this class was probably understanding R and SQL. Using them will help me add to my experience with coding languages which make me a better candidate. I will explain in interviews how I have learned a number of languages, and that even if they don’t use any of those languages, I will be able to learn applicable languages and programs easily based on my prior knowledge.

• I think that the most important take away from this class would have to be being able to utilize programs such as MySQL and R so that we can aggregate data and store it in one central location. This is important because it allows us to look at data as a whole and make educated decision concerning certain business situations or problems. An employer might find this valuable as I can bring a very important skill to the table, I can create a database for their network or business services. This makes their company more valuable in the long run and ultimately makes me even more valuable as a potential asset.